Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 08-17-20, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by Decker
I did that for literally years. It sure looks like that is not how they want you to use them, but it works fine. I stopped being a member when they pulled the gift certificates from their website. Didn't realize that they brought them back.
How's the shipping? I got a game in 2 days and I mailed it back Saturday and was bummed that I wasn't sent a new one yet, they say some cities they will send you a new one when the old one is scanned in by the post office, and I put it in before the mail came Saturday.
Old 08-17-20, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,456 Likes on 4,415 Posts

I usually had a game on the top of the queue and I would have them wait up to a week for that game to come in rather than send me anything from my queue that they had in stock. So I can't really answer that.
Besides I imagine that everything has been slowed that operates through the USPS recently due to ..... reasons.
Old 08-17-20, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,114 Likes on 1,629 Posts

We should probably just do a separate Gamefly thread, but I remember when I subscribed a long time ago, I stopped mainly because the availability of new games dropped like a rock and the shipping times mysteriously went way up the longer I was a member. When I was a new member, everything went swimmingly. Hopefully they changed that.
Old 08-17-20, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 935 Likes on 660 Posts

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game...ly-thread.html

Funny, I had no idea I created that thread.
Old 08-18-20, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I don't have much to say about Gamefly so maybe I can keep it here Apparently I AM getting Fast Return when the new game ships when the post office scans it, it just takes longer over the weekend. Mario Party on the way.

Played Just Dance for an hour today, just arms, and sometimes just arm, singular, just the right one. Had a blast. Gonna do that for an hour a day (or Zumba, or Ring Fit, or Fitness Boxing from GF). Making progress on Picross, about 40% through the first installment of four.

I bought Picross S2 and S3 because according to a site named Deku it's on sale that may have ended within 12-48 hours and it's as cheap as it's ever been, so I went for it. Didn't buy the fourth because it's at full price. I'll pay whatever price it's at when I finish the first three. Sixth day with the system. Doing my free month of Just Dance Unlimited. I'm loving this.
Old 08-18-20, 07:06 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
eshop deal:After downloading Coloring Book, you can download those six games for free :And thanks to Decker I'm now 90 bucks poorer. I'm for the ring fit.
Mini Trains is available for $1 and is a nice low key puzzle solver.
Old 08-19-20, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,021 Likes on 708 Posts

Edit Edit: Got Animal Crossing from GF. Didn't save when I thought it would, I didn't restart it. I had played through the toast. I like it but not $60 like it, so I will wait until it's $20 or so.
That's like not even getting through the demo on other games. I don't think you really gave it a fair shake. I think you should just bite the bullet and get it now. AC will never be $20. And this iteration has a bigger social aspect in terms of the AC community. There's also frequent updates as well. There's a lot more to do and a lot more variety in this version of AC then previous ones. Usually I'm a big proponent of physical copies of games but I specifically chose digital for AC because I knew I would always want access to it more so then other games.
The following users liked this post:
DVDChris (08-19-20)
Old 08-19-20, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I told myself I wouldn't do this again and I did, dropped $900 total There goes all the money I got back from extra taxes withheld from all the overtime I did last year.

System
Case + screen
2 armbands for controllers
Zumba
Just Dance
One year of Just Dance Unlimited
Fitness Boxing
Ring Fit
Picross S1-S4
Civ VI
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
One year of Gamefly 2 at a time for games like Mario Party

Well I think I'm done for now. Now to play! It was awesome to find out that Mario Kart has all tracks unlocked. This was always my beef with it. I suck at it but like playing it. I wonder if I can get 450 hours total within all those games and a year of Gamefly
The following users liked this post:
tanman (08-20-20)
Old 08-19-20, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Animal Crossing is 50 bucks at Amazon and Walmart. Probably as good a deal as you'll get for a while.
Old 08-19-20, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Animal Crossing is 50 bucks at Amazon and Walmart. Probably as good a deal as you'll get for a while.
55 digital after costco price. Same as physical after tax.
Old 08-19-20, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,063 Likes on 877 Posts

After several unsuccessful trips to Target, Amazon let me buy a console! itís not scheduled to arrive till October, but thatís ok.
Old 08-19-20, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 841 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
After several unsuccessful trips to Target, Amazon let me buy a console! it’s not scheduled to arrive till October, but that’s ok.
You might get it earlier. I ordered one that wasn't supposed to ship for a month and it shipped a week after I "preordered" it.
Old 08-19-20, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What he said. Look a few posts up where I said the same think you said. I had it within a week of ordering even though it said October.

Got Mario Party from Gamefly... OMG most boring game ever. I found myself browsing the web while everyone else got their turn and then I was like this is stupid why am I even playing this. $40 saved! Maybe I SHOULD try Mario Kart before buying (I had a snafu with Costco so I'm just going to wait 2 weeks for a reset so I didn't get Mario Kart or Animal Crossing yet). Mario Party is what Gamefly was made for.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-19-20 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-19-20, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,048 Likes on 830 Posts

Mario Party is only good for big drunk groups, its worthless otherwise.
Old 08-19-20, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,456 Likes on 4,415 Posts

What did you think of Octopath Traveler, Deb? Did you like the demo?

My Ring Fit Adventure arrived today from Best Buy. Those idiots shipped it by sticking a label on the ourside of the game box and mailing that. Seriously what were they thinking? Good thing it wasn't stolen and wasn't a gift. It's all filthy and beat up.
Old 08-19-20, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 841 Likes on 619 Posts

My Ring Fit Adventure arrived today from Best Buy. Those idiots shipped it by sticking a label on the ourside of the game box and mailing that. Seriously what were they thinking? Good thing it wasn't stolen and wasn't a gift. It's all filthy and beat up.
I got my Ring Fit from Best Buy. They actually put mine in a box. Let me know how you like it. I have trouble with the leg band slipping off.
Old 08-20-20, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you want a game that has no fighting and is pretty leisurely, I recommend a game that just came out on the switch (but apparently came out last year for PC): A Short Hike. It has a very small discount but it's only 7 bucks anyway, which is in line with how long it'll probably take you to finish it, but what a great experience.

Also, Untitled Goose Game: not on sale at the moment, but fun and different and a free update is coming out shortly allowing some form of multiplayer.
Old 08-20-20, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What did you think of Octopath Traveler, Deb? Did you like the demo?
I couldn't find the stupid feather to save after the intro cutscene and I gave up in frustration I was like I'm stuck on how to SAVE in this game and I even know what I'm looking for...

So I know Civ VI has 24 civilizations and 4 in the expansion pack but how long does a playthrough last?

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-20-20 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-20-20, 11:35 AM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
If you want a game that has no fighting and is pretty leisurely, I recommend a game that just came out on the switch (but apparently came out last year for PC): A Short Hike. It has a very small discount but it's only 7 bucks anyway, which is in line with how long it'll probably take you to finish it, but what a great experience.

Also, Untitled Goose Game: not on sale at the moment, but fun and different and a free update is coming out shortly allowing some form of multiplayer.
A Short Hike looks fun but I don't like the jagged graphics. I guess they're going for an old-time look but I prefer things smooth.

I have a similar problem with Octopath Traveler. It feels so cramped and tiny and my old eyes can't read the small battle symbols very well.

An old-timey game that I liked was Undertale.

Please keep the recommendations coming.

Last edited by DeFan; 08-20-20 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-20-20, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,063 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
You might get it earlier. I ordered one that wasn't supposed to ship for a month and it shipped a week after I "preordered" it.
What he said. Look a few posts up where I said the same think you said. I had it within a week of ordering even though it said October.
My estimated arrival date has changed from October 16 to this coming Tuesday.
Old 08-20-20, 02:32 PM
Premium Member

Received 738 Likes on 485 Posts

I get the feeling GatorDeb will not have the patience for time invest in AC.
Old 08-20-20, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just grabbed Golf Story, which is on sale for $7.50 in the eShop. I loved Mario Golf on the GBC so I'm looking forward to checking this out.

Been playing a lot of Tetris 99 lately, which I'm terrible at.
Old 08-20-20, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 227 Likes on 173 Posts

Mario Party would be ok if you could use the pro controller. Having to use those blasted joy cons sucks the fun right out of it.
Old 08-20-20, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Mario Party would be ok if you could use the pro controller. Having to use those blasted joy cons sucks the fun right out of it.
It's fun if you have people to play with AND you don't get frustrated that a ton of it is just random. That's why my kids like it, they love it when I lose out of nowhere.

But if you have a few players and you want to really cause a fight, just go get Overcooked (either one).
Old 08-20-20, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 935 Likes on 660 Posts

I play Mario Party with my daughter with the Joy Cons and we have a blast. There is plenty of rubber banding randomness though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.