Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 08-25-20, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 614 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I'm so close to using the limit time playing feature of the parent app on myself

Your obsession with how much time you've played and it's value is bizarre. 90% of your gaming discussion about the Switch has been about time played and you getting entertainment value per hour.
Old 08-25-20, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Your obsession with how much time you've played and it's value is bizarre. 90% of your gaming discussion about the Switch has been about time played and you getting entertainment value per hour.
In college I also spent copious amounts of time calculating how much I studied What I'm obsessed with is number crunching in general. Don't get me started on the years I spent on triathlons... I used to joke that I only swam, biked, and ran to have numbers to crunch.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-25-20 at 01:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
The Questyen (08-25-20)
Old 08-25-20, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

If you really want value, just go and replay the old 3ds picross games. I mean I doubt you memorized those puzzles so if you reset them they'll be new to you again, right?
Old 08-25-20, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
If you really want value, just go and replay the old 3ds picross games. I mean I doubt you memorized those puzzles so if you reset them they'll be new to you again, right?
I do have a great memory, just ask my husband.
Old 08-25-20, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I do have a great memory, just ask my husband.
You remember Picross puzzles you did years ago?
Old 08-25-20, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You remember Picross puzzles you did years ago?
For a serious answer, it's more of a difficulty level. I actually have encountered a couple of puzzles in the s series (switch) that made me think. E series was way too easy. And the s series has clip Picross (which I thought was a gimmick but I ended up loving) and color Picross.
Old 08-25-20, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For a serious answer, it's more of a difficulty level. I actually have encountered a couple of puzzles in the s series (switch) that made me think. E series was way too easy. And the s series has clip Picross (which I thought was a gimmick but I ended up loving) and color Picross.
Ah, ok. Yeah the more recent entries definitely have some tough ones. I'm just saying I could probably reset the ones I did like a month ago and have just as tough a time, but my memory is shot so...
Old 08-26-20, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Been enjoying Mario Kart for a couple of days now but I've found that 45 mins or so is about as much of a daily session as I can stand before I get bored. I'll buy it eventually but probably at the half price point and only on digital, because this is one of those games that are great to pick up for a race or two and I'm not swapping game cards twice for that. I was surprised that getting all kart pieces is just a matter of grinding. I suck at this game but if I can eventually get everything unlocked by just playing, then heck I'll play it that much. And I REALLY like that all tracks are unlocked at the beginning. I'll probably keep it for a couple of weeks from Gamefly then send it back for SSB (which I'm SURE won't be a keeper). The music and graphics are fantastic. I usually play with the sound off but this is a game where I go out of my way to make an exception. I get the sense from reading around that this is the best all-around version so far when it comes to a mix of content, graphics, and portability. It's cool to see which games the tracks came from. I'm going in order and I'm almost half-way through, I hope the pinball track is one of them. I'll probably play through it twice before returning.

Found something really cool about Picross S2. For the Picross Nintendo game packs, you could save your current board and then go back to it but if you started a new one it overrode it. Here, you can save unlimited boards to be continued. That's fantastic. Got stuck on a puzzle which is rare for me. I'll keep coming back to it. When it comes to puzzles like this one day you can be stuck then the next day you just see it.
Old 08-26-20, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle $14.99
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...battle-switch/

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle Gold Edition $19.99
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...dition-switch/

Until 9/8.

I'm in for $18 for Gold after Costco discount.
Old 08-27-20, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,675 Likes on 4,558 Posts

I know there was some discussion about My Time at Portia. It's now on sale in the eShop for $10.19 (65% off)

Also Donut County, a game I hear is short and simple but fun is heavily discounted at $3.89
lwhy? (08-27-20)
Old 08-27-20, 04:16 PM
Political Exile

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I know there was some discussion about My Time at Portia. It's now on sale in the eShop for $10.19 (65% off)

Also Donut County, a game I hear is short and simple but fun is heavily discounted at $3.89
I picked up Donut County. I haven't kept up, do people here think Luigi 3 is a AAA title? Is the online component good?
Old 08-27-20, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,675 Likes on 4,558 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I picked up Donut County. I haven't kept up, do people here think Luigi 3 is a AAA title? Is the online component good?
Can't answer that second question, but I enjoyed the hell out of Luigi 3. And I absolutely loathed Luigi 2. It works much better on the Switch and is charming and amusing and fun. Nothing deep but enjoyable. One of my favorite games on the system. Well worth the sale price (which expires on Sunday, I think).
PerryD (08-28-20)
Old 08-27-20, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 856 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

I'm going to get Donut Country. Thanks!
Old 08-27-20, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,196 Likes on 929 Posts

I still need to play Luigiís Mansion 3. Iíve enjoyed the other two.
Old 08-27-20, 06:06 PM

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I started on Luigi 3. It looks great and I'm glad I got it on sale but it seems out of place in August Florida. I'll go back near Halloween.
Old 08-28-20, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am having the time of my life with Mario Rabbids. At first I thought the extra health was a trick like it was going to take gold from me, come to find out about Switch assist mode. Now I need to play Mario Galaxy and RPG maker 2. I'm past the Pirabbid boss. The atmosphere, the battles, the weapons are so cool. Love the music and sound effects. Really getting immersed in the game. It's like Picross who? And I like that if I get stuck I can watch a video to learn how to beat the boss. I think this is a good intro game to tactical gaming with a lighthearted theme. I'm not going to get 100 percent though I hate the parts of the game where you have to run around collecting coins before the timer disappears.

Also ended up getting Portia for ten but I don't have time for it right now ended up getting a 512 gig card as I already ran out of space. I can't even download portia right now.

I think I'm only going to play through once on Mario Kart and probably not gonna end up picking it up. Even twenty bucks for a race now and then seems a bit much.
Old 08-28-20, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts

I consider my Switch my own personal "Metroid-Vania" machine.

I don't have any actual Metroid or Castlevania games on my Switch (are there any?), but I've downloaded almost every indie game in that style onto it. It's my favorite genre, so when I want a fix, I just reach for my Switch!
Old 08-28-20, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
I consider my Switch my own personal "Metroid-Vania" machine.

I don't have any actual Metroid or Castlevania games on my Switch (are there any?), but I've downloaded almost every indie game in that style onto it. It's my favorite genre, so when I want a fix, I just reach for my Switch!
There is the Castlevania collection on the Switch.

Bloodstained is a psuedo Castlevania but the modern-styled game, Ritual of the Night, is better played on other consoles. The retro styled ones (they just released a second) are awesome, though.

But yeah, the Switch is the king of Metroidvanias for sure (which makes sense because the DS/3DS was before it as well).
Old 08-28-20, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 945 Likes on 667 Posts

I was thinking about that the other day. Interesting using Metroidvania when there hasn't been a game in either series in what feels like a generation. Was Other M the last Metroid game?
Old 08-28-20, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I was thinking about that the other day. Interesting using Metroidvania when there hasn't been a game in either series in what feels like a generation. Was Other M the last Metroid game?
It's still an apt description of the genre, though (and yes Other M was the last Metroid metroidvania, and Iga moved on to crowdfund bloodstained because they weren't going to make another Castlevania).
Old 08-28-20, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So I haven't kept up, has there not been a Castlevania game in a generation either? Strange.
Old 08-29-20, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts

There is the Castlevania collection on the Switch.

Bloodstained is a psuedo Castlevania but the modern-styled game, Ritual of the Night, is better played on other consoles. The retro styled ones (they just released a second) are awesome, though.

But yeah, the Switch is the king of Metroidvanias for sure (which makes sense because the DS/3DS was before it as well).
That collection is weak - I do have the Contra one though. They need to have a Castlevania collection that collects all 3 GBA and all 3 DS games, updated and in one package for the Switch. But Konami is shitty.
And I was a backer for Bloodstained, and I signed up for the PS4 version long before there was ever a Switch. Great game though.
Old 08-29-20, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,066 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So I haven't kept up, has there not been a Castlevania game in a generation either? Strange.
Konami has basically stopped console games in favor of gambling machines and mobile gaming. They started to toe back in with the switch but nothing substantial.

It's why we have Bloodstaind now, which core gameplay is almost identical to Castlevania with a few minor changes (Ritual of the Night at least, havent played the 8-bit throwbacks much)
Old 08-30-20, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's a shame.
Old 08-30-20, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still enjoying the heck out of Rabbids, on World 2. I'm not even motivated enough to play all tracks on Mario Kart (made it through 36 before I lost interest) so back it goes tomorrow to swap for Mario Galaxy.

My husband walked in on me setting up my ringcon and I said this my ringcon, there are many like it but this one is mine. Made it through the setup and the first level (20 minutes) and I'm done for the day You can't march in place it makes you jog!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.