Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 08-30-20, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,675 Likes on 4,558 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Still enjoying the heck out of Rabbids, on World 2. I'm not even motivated enough to play all tracks on Mario Kart (made it through 36 before I lost interest) so back it goes tomorrow to swap for Mario Galaxy.
Odyssey. Mario Galaxy is a Wii game.
Old 08-30-20, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Received 753 Likes on 497 Posts

Being that you seem to be into puzzles (GatorDeb), you might enjoy 'Paper Mario The Origami King'. The puzzle fight element in that one is very prominent.
Old 08-30-20, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Odyssey. Mario Galaxy is a Wii game.
Ah, thanks

I've tried paper Mario in other consoles and it's too hard for me. It's on my Gamefly queue though.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-31-20 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-01-20, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,068 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I was thinking about that the other day. Interesting using Metroidvania when there hasn't been a game in either series in what feels like a generation. Was Other M the last Metroid game?
Originally Posted by fujishig
It's still an apt description of the genre, though (and yes Other M was the last Metroid metroidvania, and Iga moved on to crowdfund bloodstained because they weren't going to make another Castlevania).
Did you guys forget about Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS 2017)?

I guess it's just as well because everyone else forgot about it as well. It pulled absolutely dreadful numbers. It was a good game though. I thought I wouldn't like the polygonal look to the game vs. sprites but it grew on me.
Old 09-01-20, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When Carnival Games is ten bucks and you're not sure it's worth it It hits ten bucks all the time and I got other games, I think I'll pass for now.
Old 09-02-20, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Did you guys forget about Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS 2017)?

I guess it's just as well because everyone else forgot about it as well. It pulled absolutely dreadful numbers. It was a good game though. I thought I wouldn't like the polygonal look to the game vs. sprites but it grew on me.
I did. In fact it's still sitting here on my desk unopened in an amazon envelope.
Old 09-03-20, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,196 Likes on 929 Posts

Nintendo announced Super Mario 3D All-Stars. Itís set to include: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy. Itís set to release September 18th, and is supposedly a limited release through next March.

Iíll be grabbing the collection personally. I love Super Mario 64 and getting to play it on Switch is worth it for me. I havenít ever played Super Mario Sundhine, and Super Mario Galaxy I started and own on Wii, but never finished it.
Old 09-03-20, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 856 Likes on 628 Posts

I'm excited about that collection. I haven't played Sunshine or Galaxy. I'm going to get it.
Old 09-03-20, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
Nintendo announced Super Mario 3D All-Stars. Itís set to include: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy. Itís set to release September 18th, and is supposedly a limited release through next March.

Iíll be grabbing the collection personally. I love Super Mario 64 and getting to play it on Switch is worth it for me. I havenít ever played Super Mario Sundhine, and Super Mario Galaxy I started and own on Wii, but never finished it.
They also have a "limited time only" Mario battle royale game, free for Nintendo Online subscribers. I'm not a fan of limited release stuff, and I have no idea (besides getting people to bite at full price) why a digital title like 3D All-Stars would be available for a limited time only.
Old 09-03-20, 10:51 AM
Political Exile

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

I'll have to remember if there were any controller specific design choices in those games, the controllers for all three systems were different, especially the Wii with the WiiMote, and the N64 with the middle trigger. I'm sure most of the basic gameplay should translate well enough to the joy con controls
Old 09-03-20, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if Galaxy, 64 and Sunshine will get assist mode like nsmb and odyssey.
Old 09-03-20, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 227 Likes on 173 Posts

Super Mario All-Stars SNES collection available now for Switch Online.

A new collection of Mario games is now available to play in the SNES Nintendo Switch Online library. Super Mario All-Stars has arrived in the service as part of today’s Super Mario Bros. 35th anniversary celebrations. This SNES collection brings together four enhanced Super Mario titles that were initially released for the NES / Famicom. Those NES versions are still present in the Switch Online library too.

The four games are Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Famicom’s Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (the Japanese SMB2). The SNES collection updated the NES games with new audio and 16-bit graphics when it launched back in 1993, and we’re expecting much of the same for this Nintendo Switch Online version.

Of course, this was only part of today’s Mario anniversary announcements. Super Mario Bros. 35 was revealed and is basically a 2D Mario take on battle royale. Meanwhile, another All-Stars collection of remasters is coming to Nintendo Switch. Super Mario 3D All-Stars brings Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy to Switch later this month.

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/s...switch-online/

I am on Mario overload! So glad these older games are being released for the younger generation to play. My daughter will be buzzing about all of this Mario news when she gets home from school.
Old 09-03-20, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They also have a "limited time only" Mario battle royale game, free for Nintendo Online subscribers. I'm not a fan of limited release stuff, and I have no idea (besides getting people to bite at full price) why a digital title like 3D All-Stars would be available for a limited time only.
Yeah, I donít really get why itís limited either. Also a little odd to me that they didnít include both Galaxy games. At first I thought maybe there would be a volume two down the line, but Super Mario 3D World is getting a separate release.
Old 09-03-20, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,001 Likes on 1,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Also a little odd to me that they didnít include both Galaxy games.
They're saving that for the 40th anniversary.

I dunno, maybe it'll be DLC or a separate release down the line, or maybe it'll be part of a collection that includes New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
Old 09-03-20, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts

BOOO to not having Galaxy 2 in the collection!
Old 09-03-20, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos

Super Mario All-Stars SNES collection available now for Switch Online.

A new collection of Mario games is now available to play in the SNES Nintendo Switch Online library. Super Mario All-Stars has arrived in the service as part of todayís Super Mario Bros. 35th anniversary celebrations. This SNES collection brings together four enhanced Super Mario titles that were initially released for the NES / Famicom. Those NES versions are still present in the Switch Online library too.

The four games are Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Famicomís Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (the Japanese SMB2). The SNES collection updated the NES games with new audio and 16-bit graphics when it launched back in 1993, and weíre expecting much of the same for this Nintendo Switch Online version.

Of course, this was only part of todayís Mario anniversary announcements. Super Mario Bros. 35 was revealed and is basically a 2D Mario take on battle royale. Meanwhile, another All-Stars collection of remasters is coming to Nintendo Switch. Super Mario 3D All-Stars brings Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy to Switch later this month.

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/s...switch-online/

I am on Mario overload! So glad these older games are being released for the younger generation to play. My daughter will be buzzing about all of this Mario news when she gets home from school.
I wonder if the original Super Mario All-Stars will get a physical release. The completionist in me would buy it, but I own the three games (not so much The Lost Levels) so many times over.

Not sure if Iíll shell out for it digitally. The regular, non-remastered games are all available with the Switch Online service. I guess it would be nice to own them though.
Old 09-04-20, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up getting Paper Mario due to TheCow's suggestion. It has that mechanic of press A to do a higher attack that I loathe from previous games, and there's still the run into spikes and fall off. This is where Gamefly shines. I'm loving the music and the game and I'll just play until I hit a spot in the game where I get stuck and then just return it, having just enjoyed the journey til then. I'm only 50 minutes in, up to the part where you're pulling the vines (and stuck, so I saved to come back to it tomorrow). Just to be contrary I like rotating the rings the opposite way that stupid fairy wants me to (with the same result) causing her to say not what I had in mind but it'll work.
Old 09-04-20, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Lots of first party titles (physical) on sale for 39.99 right now:

Amazon and Best Buy have:
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Mario Tennis Aces
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Maker 2
Yoshi's Crafted World
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/s...o-switch-games
Old 09-04-20, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah paper mario going back tomorrow. Same as the previous ones I played. I'm getting the hook for the manhole to get to the castle and in multiple walk through it says to go into the red brick building and save spike and hit the shelves on the right to make a box fall down. Saved spike and hitting and hitting and nothing. And it's not really a puzzle game.

That's $138 Gamefly has saved me so far in Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Paper Mario, and I'm not done with my free month yet. That's going off all-time lowest prices for both digital and physical, it'd be way more by current prices. Looks like the $158 yearly investment is going to pay off. Granted, I'm renting games specifically so that Gamefly talks me out of buying them. Games I KNOW I will play a lot like Civ VI I just straight out bought.

Still on the fence about Pokemon. I need it for 17 weeks to get 3 Melmetals on Pokemon Go and it'd be over 60 bucks if you divide the yearly fee by week. But I can have two games out at a time so I could just keep that and rotate the other one. Decisions decisions.

Next up Mario Odyssey. If I return a game on a Monday I have the next one on a Thursday. Longer on weekends. Free month ends on the tenth.
Old 09-04-20, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,675 Likes on 4,558 Posts

Still on the fence about Pokemon. I need it for 17 weeks to get 3 Melmetals on Pokemon Go and it'd be over 60 bucks if you divide the yearly fee by week. But I can have two games out at a time so I could just keep that and rotate the other one. Decisions decisions.
Deb, my boy NEVER touches Let's Go. You can have it for 17 weeks. Just give it back to me eventually. No problem at all
Old 09-04-20, 09:31 PM

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah, I'll never play Pokemon: Lets Go anymore unless they release the shiny again. Makes great trade bait.
Old 09-05-20, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 614 Likes on 450 Posts

The thing that always baffles me when ever they re-release the original Super Mario All-Stars is that they never fix the code error in the game. If you've played the original Super Mario Bros when you break a brick you bounce off of it and it allows you to keep momentum. In the Super Mario All Stars version when you break a brick you almost get stuck on it and it breaks your momentum. This was found to be in error in the code and not a deliberate change by Nintendo. It effects the All Stars version of Lost Levels also but not Super Mario Bros 3. This makes the All-Stars versions while graphically better but a worse way to play the games since this negatively affects the gameplay. They didn't fix this on the Wii re-release or this Switch version.
Old 09-06-20, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,068 Likes on 739 Posts

Games I KNOW I will play a lot like Civ VI I just straight out bought.
Did you already buy Civ VI? It's on sale at Best Buy for $15

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sid-mei...?skuId=6301933
Old 09-06-20, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 897 Likes on 757 Posts

Lots of first party titles (physical) on sale for 39.99 right now:

Amazon and Best Buy have:
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Mario Tennis Aces
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Maker 2
Yoshi's Crafted World
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/s...o-switch-games
I'm going to plug Mario Tennis Aces. It's a great little game that offers surprisingly deep play mechanics if you play online matches with others. The doubles can be a ton of fun with a partner and what I enjoy the most. There's still a fairly active user base at the higher ranks, though newcomers should probably check out the discord for help starting out.

Call me biased because I've been one of the highest-ranked players at it in the world, but I wouldn't have played it so much if the game didn't have a lot to offer in return.
Old 09-06-20, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman
Did you already buy Civ VI? It's on sale at Best Buy for $15

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sid-mei...?skuId=6301933
I do, but I bought it at Amazon at that price Thanks for the tip though! That's why it made no sense whatsoever to rent it at that pricepoint.

Picross S2 is kicking my butt. 31.66 hours in and I still have 15 puzzles left. I started using hints, which I NEVER do, but it was starting not to be fun. First I try it on my own. Then I start with just the hint system that tells you which row or column to pay attention to next but in some of those I have to use that one AND the hint roulette. Part of me is I'll come back one day and re-do it without hints the other of me is like nah I'm good. I did Picross e1-e7/8 whichever the last one was without hints and got the golden star for it and I did Picross S1 and the other two modes of Picross S2 without hints. No gold star for me. It's taking me 4-15 minutes a puzzle WITH HINTS at this point. I'm ready to finish and go on to S3, which added Color Picross.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 09-06-20 at 08:40 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.