Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

You should really save for Animal Crossing instead. That is a near-infinite time sink. And it's fantastic and addictive, is Switch-exclusive and runs fantastic on the system.
Old 08-12-20, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
You should really save for Animal Crossing instead. That is a near-infinite time sink. And it's fantastic and addictive, is Switch-exclusive and runs fantastic on the system.
Oh I'm getting it 100 percent when it's 20 bucks in 6 months I want to try to hit the good games while they're on sale. There has t o no has be a GOOD cheap game out there right now.
Old 08-12-20, 01:26 PM

You're kidding yourself. It won't EVER be $20 unless you find a used copy on eBay or something. Nintendo doesn't slash prices for any of their games, let alone their top seller, by far. It probably won't go to even $40 until next MAR10 day. Just bite the bullet on this one. It's worth it and you can play it year round.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (08-18-20)
Old 08-12-20, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Oh I'm getting it 100 percent when it's 20 bucks in 6 months I want to try to hit the good games while they're on sale. There has t o no has be a GOOD cheap game out there right now.
Nintendo first-party games rarely get much of a sale price.
Old 08-12-20, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

You should just use your free month of Gamefly to try Animal Crossing and Portia out. I don't think Stardew has a physical version out until November.
Old 08-12-20, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lwhy?
You should just use your free month of Gamefly to try Animal Crossing and Portia out. I don't think Stardew has a physical version out until November.
I've played different versions of ac and love it. I should try portia and octopath.
Old 08-12-20, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I imagine the wait-list for that game is still huge.

Deb lives in my town. I could loan you my son's physical copy for a week if you want to try it. But you'll want to get it, that I promise you.
Old 08-12-20, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I've played different versions of ac and love it. I should try portia and octopath.
Octopath has a pretty meaty three hour demo available

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...aveler-switch/
Old 08-12-20, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Octopath has a pretty meaty three hour demo available

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...aveler-switch/
Is Portia the one you have? I'm thinking I should just give YOU 20 bucks a month and borrow a couple games at a time you're not using

Forgot about demos. It's done, my first game will be the octopath demo. I will know by the end if it's easy enough for me to get enough play out of it. Even though I wasn't able to kill the final boss in bravely default I got a LOT of play and enjoyment out of it.
Old 08-12-20, 02:52 PM

I don't have Portia. But my point is why spend $20 on a resource management,ccrafting and social game you might be interested in when there is this masterpiece in Animal Crossing New Horizons that won't drop in price, has similar gameplay elements, and is something that you know you will love and play constantly?

Glad you are checking out the Octopath demo. Unlike most this gives you a large chunk of the game, like the opening chapter and you can even bring your progress with you to the full game.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (08-18-20)
Old 08-12-20, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I don't have Portia. But my point is why spend $20 on a resource management,ccrafting and social game you might be interested in when there is this masterpiece in Animal Crossing New Horizons that won't drop in price, has similar gameplay elements, and is something that you know you will love and play constantly?
I agree. If relaxing, non-threatening gaming is your jam, then Animal Crossing it is. I like Portia enough, but the load times (while vastly improved) were atrocious and once AC came out, it went to the backburner. Heck I got Rune Factory right before AC came out and it went on the backburner.

This is assuming you've at least played AC on the 3ds or something so you know what you're getting into.
Old 08-12-20, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts

AC is great but it is limited in what you can do within a day (unless you time travel via your Switch). So if you want something you can lose a whole day in, AC may not be what you want. Fantastic otherwise.
Old 08-12-20, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

I had never played an AC game before and it has sucked me in for a whole lot of hours. I did get the recent Paper Mario and ran through that, but it didn't take too much time (and became a bit monotonous).
Old 08-12-20, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good point on ac prob not dropping too much in price for a while. I was browsing the demo section and I think I can spend a whole month just on demos
Old 08-13-20, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I don't know what to buy do I won't buy anything for now except Picross S1

I "bought" MTAP and I'll decide within the next week whether to pick it up or let BB cancel the order. The publisher had it on sale for 10 bucks when they released a new game so they may do that again.

Once I finish Picross S1 I'll go to S2, S3, S4.

I'll do the Just Dance 2020 ($20 if I like it), Octopath and Dragon Quest demos. Any other good demos?

I have my eye out for Civ xi, Skyrim, Animal Crossing.

Gamefly had a 3 month deal of 2 games out at a time for 40 bucks so I went with it, along with the free trial that's 4 months for 10 bucks a month. I usually buy a lot of games and then don't play them so this may be worth it for me even if it saves me not buying just one game in that period.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-13-20 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-13-20, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's here a day early!!!! I'm not gonna lie it took me a minute of turning the controller shell in my hands and looking at the back of the console to figure it out

Edit: You know, I should have just bought this four years ago. It's the same exact price.

I bought the first Picross and I'm enjoying it immensely. It sucks that for the first set amount of days it doesn't tell you how long you played a game (2 weeks I think?).

I downloaded the Just Dance demo and deleted it within ten minutes. HATED IT. Not my kind of game.

Going to blind buy Zumba. $25.xx after tax. But I love Zumba and it's a Zumba-licensed product and it doesn't look like it's a hit a move game like Just Dance. No demo and Gamefly doesn't carry it.

SO GLAD I'm out the $40 for four months of Gamefly, get to test out games before buying. Animal Crossing shipped before Decker posted so that will be my first game to try and I'm pretty much going to try all games before buying.

Enjoying a bit of Puzzle Quest but it's the same game. I may just do the demo over and over when the itch hits. I may pay $5 for it, no more.

Have to find my headphone hack to bluetooth adapter. I bought a case with tempered glass screen cover and wrist straps.

I kind of wish I hadn't bought it because now I just want to play it Just...one...more... puzzle...

Edit Edit: Got Animal Crossing from GF. Didn't save when I thought it would, I didn't restart it. I had played through the toast. I like it but not $60 like it, so I will wait until it's $20 or so.

Here are my buys until now:
Case
Wrist straps
Just Dance 2020
Just Dance Unlimited
Zumba
Picross S1 (and then S2, S3, S4).
Gamefly through mid-December.

Gonna return Animal Crossing tomorrow and go on to the next. One thing I realized is that GF can help me save money by showing me which games I really don't need right now and I can save the difference in price. Right now I'm going to try to borrow as many games as I can just to test them out vs playing them.

I really liked Fitness Boxing but I liked Just Dance more, so I will start with that one. I had hated Just Dance at first but 1. I realized I was hitting almost everything, not missing it, and got full stars when I thought I sucked. If I ignore the bottom right and focus on the screen I'm good. And also it makes a huge world of difference to have it on bluetooth vs. corded.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-15-20 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-15-20, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I know the Switch is still selling like hotcakes, but when do you think Nintendo will release a new system? I would think it would be a couple of years from now considering how popular the Switch is now.
Old 08-15-20, 01:35 PM

Ring Fit Adventure is finally available from Best Buy. I grabbed a copy.
Old 08-15-20, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

That honestly sounds like you didn't give AC enough run (the toast is like before the game even starts) but I guess it doesn't matter much if you're waiting for $20 anyway. If you just wanted Picross I kind of feel like the stylus makes the 3ds versions even better but there are a lot of great games for the switch so I hope you find something you like.

The shortage of switches and of a game like Ring Fit was really surprising to me. Ring fit is pretty simplistic as far as rpgs go but it's fun, a decent workout if you want it and has decent presentation.

I dont think we hear about a switch 2 for a while, at least not until the ps5/Xbox x hype dies down a bit. Just no need to right now. I wouldn't mind a revision though, especially for the freaking joycons which I can't believe they haven't redesigned yet. I'm about to send a set off for a second time, and I might make my kids play only with the pro controller if the game doesn't need joycons. Just way too fragile.
Old 08-15-20, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I think there is a Switch Pro in the works.
Old 08-15-20, 07:27 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Ring Fit Adventure is finally available from Best Buy. I grabbed a copy.
Thanks, shipped one to my daughter in Atlanta. My other daughter balked at the thought of exercising with the 109 degree temps today where she is in LA.
Old 08-16-20, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

eshop deal:After downloading Coloring Book, you can download those six games for free :And thanks to Decker I'm now 90 bucks poorer. I'm for the ring fit.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-16-20 at 06:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GatorDeb:
Jay G. (08-16-20), milo bloom (08-16-20)
Old 08-16-20, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Experienced my first noticeable amount of drift last night. Didn’t really effect when I was playing, but I was using the Joy Cons in the grip to play Smash and noticed the cursor didn’t want to sit on a character or map during selection. May need to see if I can send them in for a fix.
Old 08-17-20, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I don't know why but Gamefly has gift certificates for 3 months that are really really cheap for 2 games out at a time. One part of the website says you can't gift it to a current member and another says you can gift it to yourself and even shows you how. So I bought 4. A whole year of Gamefly 2 out at a time for $158.24, or $13.19 a month. I always use the cost of $4 movie tickets as a basis for entertainment value comparisons, so $2 an hour for the cheapest of entertainment. For $158.24 that'd be 79.12 hours a year or just 13 minutes of playtime a day. I can do that But when you put it into perspective of it's a YEAR of games for the price of THREE... that's half of what their monthly membership costs. I think they meant to put 15% and put 50% instead... may have been using speech to text I'm so tempted to buy another year in case they fix it.
Old 08-17-20, 08:47 AM

I did that for literally years. It sure looks like that is not how they want you to use them, but it works fine. I stopped being a member when they pulled the gift certificates from their website. Didn't realize that they brought them back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.