Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Still haven't found one in stock after months sigh even signed out for that stock finder site.
Check Wario64 on twitter regularly, he usually posts whenever a store has them in stock. I won't link it here because he uses affiliate links.
Old 07-27-20, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Amazon had Switched with Neon Joy Cons for 5 minutes today.
Old 07-30-20, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Gatordeb,
Keep an eye out at Target if you have one nearby. The one here has had stock recently, they went fast though. You can't trust their app for stock though, I have gotten duped on several occasions going to the store to buy something the app said they have and they didn't.
I'll keep an eye out if my store gets any more.
Old 07-31-20, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Gatordeb,
Keep an eye out at Target if you have one nearby. The one here has had stock recently, they went fast though. You can't trust their app for stock though, I have gotten duped on several occasions going to the store to buy something the app said they have and they didn't.
I'll keep an eye out if my store gets any more.
I stopped at a Target mid-morning on a Monday a few weeks ago, and they had three Neon bundles in stock. In the few minutes I spent mulling over whether to buy one or not, someone came in and bought one of them. That was all that I needed. 😉

Friend Code: SW-8432-7199-6116

Anyone feel free to add me if you want. I just have Clubhouse Games for now; will be getting others like AC:NH and BOTW at some point here pretty soon.
Old 08-05-20, 09:54 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Pikmin 3: Deluxe is being released on October 30th for the Switch:

Old 08-05-20, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Lame. More WiiU shovelware. I get they're trying to make up money they lost on the WiiU but at some point it's time to move on. Miyamoto said Pikmin 4 was almost complete way back in 2015.
Old 08-05-20, 10:54 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Lame. More WiiU shovelware. I get they're trying to make up money they lost on the WiiU but at some point it's time to move on. Miyamoto said Pikmin 4 was almost complete way back in 2015.
Truth be told. I've never played a Pikmin game and when I shared with my kids, they said, "meh."
Old 08-05-20, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Hard disagree. I hope they continue to bring the rest of these Wii U games over. Pikmin is one of my favorite franchises in gaming and I'm looking forward to replaying on my Switch.
Old 08-05-20, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I dunno. Since nobody played these WiiU versions (except me) I guess it makes sense to slap a new coat of paint on them. It's not like the other consoles don't shamelessly do the same.
Old 08-05-20, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,204 Likes on 4,231 Posts

I mean it's recycled and not really re-done, but that doesn't make it "shovelware". Because God knows, there is PLENTY of shovelware on the eShop already.

I do think asking $59.99 is a little insane though. I won't buy it at that price and I think I have already bought every major Switch first-party release so far.
Old 08-05-20, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, their pricing is ridiculous.
Old 08-05-20, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I put over 60 hours into Pikmin 3. Pikmin is a niche franchise so who/how many people are they really hoping to rope in that didn't already play it? And if $60 is true, that's absurd. At least get creative with it. Tease Pikmin 4 (if it's truly in the works). Toss in an exclusive Pikmin 4 demo/level and unlockables to entice people to re-buy. "Play an exclusive Pikmin 4 level! Pikmin 4 coming Winter 2021!) $40 available to download today!

The "Deluxe" part is kinda lackluster as well for anyone that already played everything.
  • new difficulty levels (meh)
  • new side missions (has potential, but need more info)
  • new Piklopedia that reveals interesting information about all the things in the game *yawn Nintendo's equivalent of some digital skins.
  • all of the previously released DLC (par for the course on a release like this)
I don't need portable versions of WiiU games I already played. It's just a lazy cash grab at $60. And this is coming from someone that re-bought both Pikmin and Pikmin 2 on the Wii having already owned them on the Gamecube. At least those brought something new to the table with motion controls. They were also only $40 on release day, IIRC.

Oh well. Maybe I'll bite if it ever hits $20.
Old 08-05-20, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I get the idea though, easily ported game during a period of high boredom. The Wii U had a base of less than 14 million, the Switch has an installed base in excess of 55 million and growing.

But it should be half the price and have a "Classics" title stamped on it. Maybe they're testing the waters to see if they want to pour more money into #4.
Old 08-05-20, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I put over 60 hours into Pikmin 3. Pikmin is a niche franchise so who/how many people are they really hoping to rope in that didn't already play it? And if $60 is true, that's absurd. At least get creative with it. Tease Pikmin 4 (if it's truly in the works). Toss in an exclusive Pikmin 4 demo/level and unlockables to entice people to re-buy. "Play an exclusive Pikmin 4 level! Pikmin 4 coming Winter 2021!) $40 available to download today!

The "Deluxe" part is kinda lackluster as well for anyone that already played everything.
  • new difficulty levels (meh)
  • new side missions (has potential, but need more info)
  • new Piklopedia that reveals interesting information about all the things in the game *yawn Nintendo's equivalent of some digital skins.
  • all of the previously released DLC (par for the course on a release like this)
I don't need portable versions of WiiU games I already played. It's just a lazy cash grab at $60. And this is coming from someone that re-bought both Pikmin and Pikmin 2 on the Wii having already owned them on the Gamecube. At least those brought something new to the table with motion controls. They were also only $40 on release day, IIRC.

Oh well. Maybe I'll bite if it ever hits $20.
I like how you list everything new this re-release is bringing to the table and say it's nothing and then praise the Wii versions for motion controls which is the only thing it brought. This re-release is bringing far more to the table. Also those games were $40 when they came out 12 years ago not sure how that is relevant to releases now.
Old 08-05-20, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Motion was new and brought different gameplay and having played through both on both systems, was a decent value add, and yeah, they weren't full price. Adding a difficulty, some light menu reading and 7 year old DLC doesn't scream "buy me." I get it, you want to pay full price for warmed over games on a WiiU2 system. I don't. No biggie.

I'd just rather see new games rather than a greatest hits console. Speaking of, I finally picked up SM Odyssey earlier. Hopefully I'll get to give it a spin this weekend.
Old 08-05-20, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I really don’t have a problem with how Nintendo is re-releasing a lot of the Wii U titles. It makes sense when a lot of those games should have sold better, but were on a flop of a console.

As far as whether or not they should be full price I guess is up for debate. To me it’s not much of an issue as they’re not games I’ve previously purchased, and in essence are new to me. I also get Nintendo wanting to protect their brand and they generally don’t discount their big titles.
Old 08-05-20, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

It would have been nice if this was all three games for $60.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (08-07-20)
Old 08-06-20, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Some people just love to complain.
Old 08-06-20, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Music
Some people just love to complain.
It's a totally legitimate complaint though. The pricing of last generation games that have been remastered for this current generation has been well established. Either its less than a new game's $59.99 MSRP (Gears Ultimate, Bulletstorm, Burnout Paradise Remastered, God of War 3, Darksiders 2) or it's a collection of multiple games for the price of a new game (Borderlands Handsome Collection, Ezio Collection, Bioshock Collection, Batman Return to Arkham, Master Chief Collection ). Sometimes it's even both (Bayonetta and Vanquish 10th Anniversary bundle, Prototype Biohazard Bundle, Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 REmix).
Even Nintendo has for the most part followed this pricing structure, charging $39.99 for Captain Toad and bundling Bayonetta 1 &. 2 for $59.99 (though they did charge full price for the most recent Donkey Kong game). If you exclude Nintendo, the ONLY examples that I can think of where a previous generation single game remaster (NOT remake) are GTA V and Skyrim. And both those were HUGE games both in terms of scope, content and popularity. And GTA V was still a pretty new game at that point. Pikimin 3 is none of that and it's overpriced for sure based on all recent precedent.
Michael Corvin (08-07-20)
Old 08-06-20, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I remember years ago Bruce Campbell was at a convention and somebody asked him why Anchor Bay kept putting out different DVDs of Army of Darkness.

He replied "because you people keep buying them!"

Obviously some people have no issue paying triple AAA new title prices for remasters and they keep buying them so Nintendo keeps pricing them at that price.
Old 08-06-20, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think people care that much about initial price, the issue is that this is Nintendo and they won't deep discount like ever.

But that's ok with me, it's not like I don't already have too much to play.
Old 08-06-20, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
It's a totally legitimate complaint though. The pricing of last generation games that have been remastered for this current generation has been well established. Either its less than a new game's $59.99 MSRP (Gears Ultimate, Bulletstorm, Burnout Paradise Remastered, God of War 3, Darksiders 2) or it's a collection of multiple games for the price of a new game (Borderlands Handsome Collection, Ezio Collection, Bioshock Collection, Batman Return to Arkham, Master Chief Collection ). Sometimes it's even both (Bayonetta and Vanquish 10th Anniversary bundle, Prototype Biohazard Bundle, Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 REmix).
Even Nintendo has for the most part followed this pricing structure, charging $39.99 for Captain Toad and bundling Bayonetta 1 &. 2 for $59.99 (though they did charge full price for the most recent Donkey Kong game). If you exclude Nintendo, the ONLY examples that I can think of where a previous generation single game remaster (NOT remake) are GTA V and Skyrim. And both those were HUGE games both in terms of scope, content and popularity. And GTA V was still a pretty new game at that point. Pikimin 3 is none of that and it's overpriced for sure based on all recent precedent.
All the Nintendo first party ones have been full price. Captain Toad was already a $40 game on Wii U so that is why it was cheaper. NSMBU Deluxe was full price.
Old 08-06-20, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen
All the Nintendo first party ones have been full price. Captain Toad was already a $40 game on Wii U so that is why it was cheaper. NSMBU Deluxe was full price.
I didn't realize that about Captain Toad. Pokken Tournament DX was also full-priced. I guess they're consistent, but it does seem like a bit of a reach compared to everywhere else in the Market.

I wish they would at least bring back the Voucher deal.
Old 08-06-20, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

I wish they would get around to bringing Super Mario 3D World to the Switch. I spent so many hours playing that game, it's not even funny.
Old 08-06-20, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I wish they would get around to bringing Super Mario 3D World to the Switch. I spent so many hours playing that game, it's not even funny.
Supposedly there is a remastered collection of 3D World, Super Mario 64, and Super Mario Galaxy coming for Mario’s 35th anniversary.
Sonny Corinthos (08-07-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.