Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: The Force will be with you. . . on which of the following gaming machines?
PC
8.99%
PS4
52.81%
Xbox One
38.20%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Old 10-11-15, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I am having fun with the beta, but the lack of a single player hurts even more after seeing how great the game looks and plays. Also, Walker Assault is just so damn unbalanced it is not even funny. Overall the beta has just reinforced my decision to skip this until it drops to 20 bucks.
A lot of people seem to be pointing this out (unbalanced in Assault)but I only found that true the first day. I think now that everyone is getting used to how the game flows (and how to pilot the snow speeder specifically) it's been much better. I've twice been on teams that have taken out both walkers, and we always manage to take down at least one. The first day it was nothing like that.
Old 10-11-15, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

My thoughts

Pros:

It's Star Wars and it look amazing
Great sound

Cons:

Bullshit spawn points
No prone -- wtf???
Getting sniped from across the map sucks
I die every 30s or less
No recoil
Weapons don't really matter

If this wasn't Star Wars, it'd be completely off my radar. My seven year old fell in love playing the Beta so it's probably still day one for me... but only for that reason. I'm really, really disappointed.
Old 10-11-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
. I played the multiplayer mode and it was COD all over again, which rocked.
Ugh. Cancelling pre-order.
Old 10-11-15, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Played it some more and now the novelty is wearing off.

This beta is really repetitive and I'm bored now.
Old 10-11-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

I wonder if having this beta out there will hurt sales.

I mean, I'm seeing more people who were hesitant now deciding not to get it day-one, rather than the other way around.
Old 10-11-15, 02:20 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
A lot of people seem to be pointing this out (unbalanced in Assault)but I only found that true the first day. I think now that everyone is getting used to how the game flows (and how to pilot the snow speeder specifically) it's been much better. I've twice been on teams that have taken out both walkers, and we always manage to take down at least one. The first day it was nothing like that.
First day, Rebels lost every time. When I played as a rebel I would be lucky to pull a 1/1 KD, because I was trying so hard to win. When I played as Imperial my KD was 3/1...and was easy mode. Now it is just the opposite. The real challenge now is trying to win as the rebel by the first checkpoint. If you lose as a rebel you should quit FPS games. The game has MASSIVE balance issues. At least in this game mode. The only way to make it better is quicken the mode and give each side a chance to attack/defend with the tie breaker being the speed you finish on the attack.
Old 10-11-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm liking it a lot. I get a bit giddy since it's SW. I hope the full game will keep me playing it for awhile.
Old 10-11-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

garbage, deleted
Old 10-11-15, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was my most anticipated release in years easily. The nostalgia paired with a next gen Star Wars FPS (or 3rd Person) and all of the hype had me salivating for this game. This was an instant buy for me. Will I pick it up now after playing the demo? Not at full retail.

People blindly calling this another CoD or BF are so off point that they obviously have never spent much time with either of those games. The game looks and sounds not gen, but would have a hard time besting CoD 4. FPSs have just evolved too much in the last 5 years. I mean random pickups vs. erewards/kill streaks? The most terrible spawn points of any game in years (which I admit can and likely will be fixed but how did this pass this far). The lacking of so many simple mechanics (no prone?) or variety in weaponry, player movements, etc. The jet pack is fun and works well but that is it.

This is little more then a very pretty Star Wars skin on BF1942 but even that I feel may give it too much credit. The game play is just so sloppy and horrible, I just don't get it. Like a cute blond, pretty to look at but in the end, has no substance.
Old 10-11-15, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

^ the control mechanics are the same as COD AW - that's my point of reference. I keep wanting to slide in Battlefront but forget myself.
Old 10-11-15, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by thebunk
This was my most anticipated release in years easily. The nostalgia paired with a next gen Star Wars FPS (or 3rd Person) and all of the hype had me salivating for this game. This was an instant buy for me. Will I pick it up now after playing the demo? Not at full retail.

People blindly calling this another CoD or BF are so off point that they obviously have never spent much time with either of those games. The game looks and sounds not gen, but would have a hard time besting CoD 4. FPSs have just evolved too much in the last 5 years. I mean random pickups vs. erewards/kill streaks? The most terrible spawn points of any game in years (which I admit can and likely will be fixed but how did this pass this far). The lacking of so many simple mechanics (no prone?) or variety in weaponry, player movements, etc. The jet pack is fun and works well but that is it.

This is little more then a very pretty Star Wars skin on BF1942 but even that I feel may give it too much credit. The game play is just so sloppy and horrible, I just don't get it. Like a cute blond, pretty to look at but in the end, has no substance.
I've played plenty of COD and Battlefield over the years. This was just fine by comparison.
Old 10-11-15, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
I've played plenty of COD and Battlefield over the years. This was just fine by comparison.
- No prone
- No difference at all in guns
- No ability to level up or customize your guns
- No perk systems for abilities (think CoD). The jet pack is fun but you need more variety.
- Finding rewards vs. earning them is dumb, especially when it comes to vehicles.
- Worst enemy spawns ever. I am talking about firing on a squad of storm troopers and wiping them out and a few moments later getting taken out by a group of troopers who clearly respawned right behind you.
- If they are going to have large maps like battlefield then they should either put you in closer to the action or give you an option to spawn around 3 different spawn points.

I think if someone is going to compare this to a game (excluding the older Battlefront games which as a series has not been relevant in years), is Titan Fall. Both games are fun at the start due to a gimmick but ultimately the gameplay just does not hold attention.
Old 10-11-15, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^ If you want to play CoD, go play CoD.

CoD can keep their perk system, earning rewards, etc. I like to hop on play a match, pick up a kick ass weapon and have fun. I don't want to spend 100 hours in a game to get a kick ass weapon. Customizing weapons is also annoying. It sucks for casual players unless it's all cosmetic like Halo.
Old 10-11-15, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

CoD can keep their perk system, earning rewards, etc. I like to hop on play a match, pick up a kick ass weapon and have fun. I don't want to spend 100 hours in a game to get a kick ass weapon. Customizing weapons is also annoying. It sucks for casual players unless it's all cosmetic like Halo.
Well it is a mostly Mulit Player Game so while I see your point, I cannot see that style of game (a dumbed down FPS game) keeping people's interest. Polygon's review I think backs up a lot of our opinions (basically that it is a really nice PS2 FPS game). For me in this day and age it is not enough but it seems like for some (you, the Polygon reviewers, etc.) believe it is. Only time will tell I guess.
Old 10-12-15, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

I had Star Wars and COD: BO III on the November list but probably could get only one. I haven't played any COD probably in the last three years. Star Wars was easily one of my most anticipated and looked forward titles this year.

I don't play MP 100% or even 50% of my time in games. I like a good variety and balance....SP, campaign, co-op MP and some extra modes like Horde or Zombie style. I liked the play of SW but not to the point of 4-6 nights a week at $60. Survival Mode is small part of the game that feels like it was thrown in to satisfy those who don't play MP 100% of the time I'll end up getting COD instead because it does offer far more of that variety and even being terrible at MP I at least can or cannot do it and still play the rest of the game.
Old 10-12-15, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thebunk
- No prone
- No difference at all in guns
- No ability to level up or customize your guns
- No perk systems for abilities (think CoD). The jet pack is fun but you need more variety.
- Finding rewards vs. earning them is dumb, especially when it comes to vehicles.
- Worst enemy spawns ever. I am talking about firing on a squad of storm troopers and wiping them out and a few moments later getting taken out by a group of troopers who clearly respawned right behind you.
- If they are going to have large maps like battlefield then they should either put you in closer to the action or give you an option to spawn around 3 different spawn points.

I think if someone is going to compare this to a game (excluding the older Battlefront games which as a series has not been relevant in years), is Titan Fall. Both games are fun at the start due to a gimmick but ultimately the gameplay just does not hold attention.
You're spot on in both your posts. CoD may not be everyone's cup of tea - but millions of gamers can't be wrong so EA was stupid to completely disavow everything that makes CoD right for mechanics that made this beta so wrong. Forget about not going prone or spawn - those things can be fixed with a quick update.... How can you not level up weapons or add scopes / features??
And I totally agree on the rewards -- so they just spawn in a battle and you get to be Luke or Vader? You don't have to earn that? Ridiculous.
Old 10-12-15, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't played the Beta. I don't play CoD or Battlefield. But I don't get the complaint of not having to "earn the right to be Luke/Vader". If everyone does that, who gets to be in the field of 20v20? Isn't it the same either way for these legendary characters? Whether you put in 80 hours and "prestige twice" to get the right to be Vader, then what about everyone else that did? Would you just have a whole battlefield of legendary characters?

Isn't it better to have those options available for everyone on day 1?
Old 10-12-15, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

I agree completely - I prestiged in Black Ops II and had a great time with it. Adding in the jump packs for Advanced Warfare completely soured me on the experience so I haven't leveled nearly as much in that one. But you can more or less do everything from the get go in Battlefront and there is definitely some appeal to that.
Old 10-12-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
I haven't played the Beta. I don't play CoD or Battlefield. But I don't get the complaint of not having to "earn the right to be Luke/Vader". If everyone does that, who gets to be in the field of 20v20? Isn't it the same either way for these legendary characters? Whether you put in 80 hours and "prestige twice" to get the right to be Vader, then what about everyone else that did? Would you just have a whole battlefield of legendary characters?

Isn't it better to have those options available for everyone on day 1?
I'm referring to actually putting together an impressive killstreak to become Luke or Vader... not prestiging 5 times. Any clown can randomly walk up to a reward on the map and become virtually invincible for 30s. There is no payoff to having a great game since your points only allow you to buy a grenade or equally shitty weapon. So having the option available "day 1" is still there --- you just have to earn it in game, not by playing for 72 straight hours to prestige 3 times.

Also, if you don't play these games, how can you comment on the mechanics of said games?
Old 10-12-15, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, I don't get to have an opinion on what makes a game fun for everyone because I don't play other shooters regularly.

Thanks for clarifying that you meant kill streaks, but I'm also not sure how that makes things more fun either. Definitely better in that it's context-sensitive for that battle, but it's still a "rich get richer" mechanic and will segregate the field for casual players. Maybe matchmaking handles that, but let's be realistic about how well that has been implemented over the years.

So, can you help me understand the mechanics of said games before you attack me? When you're playing CoD and Battlefield and you hit this kill streak threshold, what benefits do you get that effectively turn you into a Jedi/Sith in the "exaggerated real world"?
Old 10-12-15, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me it is a little old school - but also kind of refreshing to go back to the Halo 2 days where you race for the sniper, rocket launcher, or the scorpion tank on the field because it heavily impacts the game.
Old 10-12-15, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is absolutely more casual.

I played a ton of the CoDs and will continue to do so. I am decent at killing folks. I will never get a MOAB. That is why I ran the drop box kill streak. I wanted to luck into one of the higher level ones eventually to see what they were like.

This game effectively drops those drop boxes on the field. Is it less strategic? Absolutely. (This assumes the things randomly spawn and don't have set locations and timers I can eventually map like in Halo 2). But less strategic is often what draws a bigger crowd. The same complaints leveled by the Battlefield crowd against the CoD crowd (CoD being the more casual friendly game requiring less teamwork).

That being said, my daughter who has only played Garden Warfare, wanted to try the game. She wasn't very good since it was her first FPS... but she got to be Luke once. She got to fly a ship once and got to control the AT-ST walker once... and she flipped out over getting to do those things once and immediately asked for us to buy the game.

That is kind of cool imo.
Old 10-12-15, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by xmiyux
That being said, my daughter who has only played Garden Warfare, wanted to try the game. She wasn't very good since it was her first FPS... but she got to be Luke once. She got to fly a ship once and got to control the AT-ST walker once... and she flipped out over getting to do those things once and immediately asked for us to buy the game.

That is kind of cool imo.
This. I played a few matches, and I killed Vader and helped take down an AT-AT. Very cool moments.

If I want COD or Battlefront elements I will *gasp* play those games.
Old 10-12-15, 10:51 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The game does have kill streaks though...there is only one now (headshots reduce cooldown) but when the game comes out there will be more. Players who do well, and go on a headshot streak, or kill streak, or survive streak, or objective streak are going to see their movement speed go up, or damage go up or skills cooldown quicker (depending on what trait you choose) They just only released the headshot one in the beta....

As for playing as a hero, it does not make the game unbalanced. You can not change the course of a full game being Luke...it is just more of a fun 1 minute run...

One mode that sounds fun is the hero mode that lets one player be the hero vs 5 others...with the person getting the kill becoming the hero.
Old 10-12-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'm referring to actually putting together an impressive killstreak to become Luke or Vader... not prestiging 5 times.
Still seems silly to me. This is Star Wars. Everyone wants a chance to be Luke or Vader, not just the l33t players that hit a killstreak. Should there be rewards for killstreaks? Sure, but holding out on the holy grail for players is weak.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.