Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: The Force will be with you. . . on which of the following gaming machines?
PC
8.99%
PS4
52.81%
Xbox One
38.20%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-15, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

I've played the hell out of the early access and have had a blast. It's not COD... And that's a good thing. If you love SW, I think you'll love this. It's far from perfect but it's quick fun and it'll immerse you in the SW universe; which is all I've wanted since I was a kid. Battlefront 2 should be a substantial leap forward but for now I'm having fun and so is my son -- so that makes me happy

Two quick notes - flying the ships is a blast and the diorama thing is pretty cool.
Old 11-16-15, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Pre-Ordered the PS4 version from Gamestop. They said I could pick it up tonight at 9pm PT, but it's chilly and windy tonight and I don't feel like making the drive. I'll get it tomorrow.

Those of you who have commented about it in the last few pages about playing it, are you playing an online version? I'm not a hardcore gamer like many of you, so I don't know what that EA Access thing is. Was it just a demo version?

I've never owned a Star Wars game in the past and the graphics I saw for this looked pretty cool, so that's why I'm giving this a whirl. Those of you who have voiced some displeasure, is it because the game wasn't challenging enough?
Old 11-16-15, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Those of you who have voiced some displeasure, is it because the game wasn't challenging enough?
Well, it's online only - there's no single-player component, so the only challenge comes from the people you're playing with. My experience was that I kept getting killed by people I couldn't see.
Old 11-16-15, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

8/10 from Polygon - http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/16/97...aystation-4-PC
Old 11-16-15, 11:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most places are giving it a 7 or 8, many are saying 10 hours is more than enough to get everything the game currently has to offer. I think EA Access for now and then waiting for a GOTY edition is my plan of action.
Old 11-17-15, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

I went to the "Midnight" launch at Best Buy to pick up my preorder and get one of the SW Pop Vinyls they were advertising with purchase. I was first in line and after waiting an hour, they informed me that they didn't get any of the vinyls in. The guy actually had the gall to say "The ad says While Supplies Last!" I told him if the supply is zero, that's called "False Advertising ". I'm so pissed at them right now.
Old 11-17-15, 12:58 AM
Banned by request

Did you ask for the manager? Either way you should call Best Buy in the morning. They can probably send you one.
Old 11-17-15, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I went to the "Midnight" launch at Best Buy to pick up my preorder and get one of the SW Pop Vinyls they were advertising with purchase. I was first in line and after waiting an hour, they informed me that they didn't get any of the vinyls in. The guy actually had the gall to say "The ad says While Supplies Last!" I told him if the supply is zero, that's called "False Advertising ". I'm so pissed at them right now.
I did the same thing and asked about it with their own ad on the CS desk. He said "We probably didn't get any in because we're a smaller store". As if that is an excuse. Just say "Shit, man, I don't know! No one else has asked before you, let me check with the manager."

As for the game, I'm enjoying it. It's basically exactly what I expected. I only played through the first 5 missions getting 3 stars in each before moving on to a few rounds of the 10v10. I held my own, despite not having played a shooter since Halo 3 or ODST. I'll have a helluva lot more fun once I can arrange a real play date with my friends.
Old 11-17-15, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Pre-Ordered the PS4 version from Gamestop. They said I could pick it up tonight at 9pm PT, but it's chilly and windy tonight and I don't feel like making the drive. I'll get it tomorrow.

Those of you who have commented about it in the last few pages about playing it, are you playing an online version? I'm not a hardcore gamer like many of you, so I don't know what that EA Access thing is. Was it just a demo version?

I've never owned a Star Wars game in the past and the graphics I saw for this looked pretty cool, so that's why I'm giving this a whirl. Those of you who have voiced some displeasure, is it because the game wasn't challenging enough?
EA Access - for $30 annually - gives you early access to their new games (10 hours of actual playtime) and a game or two free each month --- usually from the scrap heap of much older games... so, the 10 hours I played of Battlefront will actually carry over to my real stats when I play the actual disc tonight or tomorrow.
The game is plenty challenging - but as others have mentioned, be prepared to die -- a lot!
Old 11-17-15, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I have a feeling this game will show up used soon and frequently. A lot of people will buy it due to it being Star Wars, not knowing it's multiplayer only and/or getting bored with its lack of content quickly.
Old 11-17-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Gamespot has their review up and they say something I and others have mentioned....

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/star.../1900-6416311/....7/10

Star Wars Battlefront reminds me why I love Star Wars. Its skirmishes unfold across iconic planets, with gorgeous landscapes and sweeping vistas on a massive scale. Endor's trees dwarf us. Tatooine's desert stretches for miles. And when the battle music reaches its peak, and I glide over Hoth's frozen trenches, I'm right back in my childhood living room, watching The Empire Strikes Back for the first time.

But Battlefront lacks the longevity that makes its source material great. It offers initial engagement, and for the first 10 hours, it swept me through its harrowing firefights at a rapid pace. But then the cracks began to show. In the end, Battlefront feels more like an homage to Star Wars than a substantial Star Wars game in itself.

If nothing else, Star Wars Battlefront is an exercise in pure spectacle, laid out in all of its neon glory. I can't help but smile when the Boba Fett guns down three fighters in a row from his Slave I ship, or a snowspeeder careens past with flames trailing in its wake. The first 10 hours are packed with these moments, and it's worth playing just to watch them unfold.

But Battlefront doesn't go much deeper than its ambitious surface appeal. It front loads its best content, only to fade in quality as the hours roll by. Star Wars Battlefront's skin is beautiful, but its legs are shaking, and threaten to buckle with time.

Other scores so far....

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/16/97...n-4-PC....8/10
http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/ne....html.....7/10
http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/sta...0-728/.....3/5
http://www.destructoid.com/review-st...html......6/10

Last edited by K&AJones; 11-17-15 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-17-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never died so much in my gaming life.

And I am going back in for more...
Old 11-17-15, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Did they fix the spawn point problems?
Old 11-17-15, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Did they fix the spawn point problems?
No... It's frustrating and glorious all at the same time... But I'm a SW geek thru and thru.
Old 11-17-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

The Endor levels are glorious in their detail. At first, I was disappointed that there were only 4 "worlds" but the maps are pretty diverse within the play modes, even though they are on the same worlds.

Supremacy may overtake Walker Assault as my favorite "big" game. And being the Emperor is all kinds of fun!
Old 11-17-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Did you ask for the manager? Either way you should call Best Buy in the morning. They can probably send you one.
Calling Best Buy Elite CS line was totally useless (though I was told repeatedly how sorry they were, for whatever that's worth).

However my local Best Buy called me this morning (being a well-known store regular has its advantages). They found the Pop Vinyls ten minutes after I left last night apparently. The designated figures were gone, but they gave me my choice of Force Awakens figures. (As if there was ever a moment's doubt, I instantly picked Captain Phasma). That was nice of them to make up for the previous night's screw-up.
Old 11-17-15, 10:51 PM
Banned by request

BB has some torturous customer service, but I've found if you're persistent you can usually get to someone that can really help you.
Old 11-18-15, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Decker
Which Best Buy?

I was in and out of the one on Rainbow and Badura as I had pre-ordered the game online (I was literally out the door at 8:55pm, 5 minutes before launch ). I had friends at the location on Maryland and they said it was a nightmare.
Old 11-18-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

So can someone give me an idea how the single player offline mode is. I am gonna pick this game up at some point, and due to get a half decent net service shortly, but until that time would like to know some clear details on the offline bots mode. How many levels/game types to chose from, how many bots can play in a single match, how well the levels actually play.

Any information folks?
Old 11-18-15, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
So can someone give me an idea how the single player offline mode is. I am gonna pick this game up at some point, and due to get a half decent net service shortly, but until that time would like to know some clear details on the offline bots mode. How many levels/game types to chose from, how many bots can play in a single match, how well the levels actually play.

Any information folks?
No offline bots. There is a "survival " mode where you fend of waves of enemies. Otherwise, all the other multiplayer modes online only.
Old 11-18-15, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And I think you can earn characters in the diorama by completing the "offline" missions
Old 11-18-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are definitely bots in the offline modes. It would get boring quickly though.
Old 11-18-15, 08:07 PM
Banned by request

I played a little bit on EA Access. I felt like the vehicle controls were off. Still need to try some of the more celebrated modes though.
Old 11-18-15, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I ordered my copy from Amazon tonight. One day shipping so will be here Friday. Got to love Prime. Don't have a PS4 or Xbox, so gonna play on PC till I upgrade from PS3.
Old 11-19-15, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I played a little bit on EA Access. I felt like the vehicle controls were off. Still need to try some of the more celebrated modes though.
When flying, remember to use L-Trigger to lock on a target. It makes taking out an enemy ship 50x easier.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.