Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-23-17, 03:59 PM   #901
Defiant

Re: PC Gaming Thread

I'll throw in recommendations for:

Life is Strange - One of the best story-rich adventure games I've ever played.

Firewatch - a "Walking Simulator" with a pretty good story

80 Days - You're Phileas Fogg, attempting to go around a Victorian steampunk version of the world. Lots of different routes to travel, with lots of choose your own adventure style adventures that happen at the different cities you travel through.

FTL - Faster Than Light, a very addictive "spaceship simulator roguelike". Though the difficulty does go up as you play, which prevented me from being able to finish it.

If you like RPGs, check out Witcher 3.

If you want Grand Strategy, you could take a look at Civilization 6 or Stellaris. I haven't played them much, but I have enjoyed what I played. (Also, if you like Star Trek, check out the mod for Stellaris called "New Horizons" - it's still alpha, but it does an amazing job of making the game feel very Star Trek)

Last edited by Defiant; 06-23-17 at 04:05 PM..
Old 06-25-17, 04:27 PM   #902
starseed1981
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
^ I loved Pony Island and Undertale. Haven't played the others you have listed there.

Super Win The Game is quite good. Plays kind of like Zelda II on the NES, and has the best CRT filter settings in a game I've ever seen. That dev has a new game called Gunmetal Arcadia, which I haven't played yet.
Hotline Miami is great. Haven't played #2 yet.
I also enjoyed games such as VVVVVV, Thomas Was Alone, and Thimbleweed Park.
Super Win The Game was awesome! It really felt like playing an NES game. I also ended up springing for Stories Untold which had the coolest narrative and narrative structure for a game that I've played in years.
Old 06-25-17, 04:37 PM   #903
The Questyen
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty lame Steam sale in my opinion. I don't play a lot of PC games but I usually have 15 or so games in my wishlist and about half of them aren't on sale and the one's that are barely are on sale at all (20-30%).
Old 06-26-17, 10:18 AM   #904
starseed1981
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Pretty lame Steam sale in my opinion. I don't play a lot of PC games but I usually have 15 or so games in my wishlist and about half of them aren't on sale and the one's that are barely are on sale at all (20-30%).
I think routine flash PSN sales have taken a lot of wind of out Steam sales in general. It seems like anything more than 3/4 years old is sizably discounted and everything that is newer only has a 25-30% markdown.
Old 06-26-17, 10:25 AM   #905
GoVegan
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, I haven't bought anything yet. I already own the most steeply discounted games.

I was thinking about picking up a Steam Link and controller, but I'm going to read some reviews first. Other than that, I've only added Civilization VI to my cart.
Old 06-26-17, 11:04 AM   #906
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
Yeah, I haven't bought anything yet. I already own the most steeply discounted games.

I was thinking about picking up a Steam Link and controller, but I'm going to read some reviews first.
I bought both the last time they went on sale. Steam Link is pretty good, but I find the controller disappointing, so I stick to my Xbox One controller and games that are compatible with it. It's just nice to have my PC games on my other TV.
Old 06-26-17, 11:51 AM   #907
GoVegan
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I bought both the last time they went on sale. Steam Link is pretty good, but I find the controller disappointing, so I stick to my Xbox One controller and games that are compatible with it. It's just nice to have my PC games on my other TV.
Oh, thanks, I didn't know that other controllers were an option. I guess I'll give that a shot, since the Link is way cheaper than the controller. There have already been a few times I purchased something on the Xbox One which I already owned in Steam, just so I'd be able to easily play in the living room on my TV.
Old 06-26-17, 12:08 PM   #908
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
Oh, thanks, I didn't know that other controllers were an option. I guess I'll give that a shot, since the Link is way cheaper than the controller. There have already been a few times I purchased something on the Xbox One which I already owned in Steam, just so I'd be able to easily play in the living room on my TV.
One note about using an Xbox One controller...
If it's from an Xbox One S, then it can connect to the Link via Bluetooth. If it's from an older Xbox One, I think it has to be hard wired.
Old 07-05-17, 11:38 AM   #909
Phodg
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bought both Call Of Duty Modern Warfare games from Steam for $9.99 each.
Bought Diablo III Battle Chest from Blizzard for $19.99.

That's it for me. I have enough games to play to last me a good while.
Old 07-06-17, 01:29 PM   #910
Noonan
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just remembered that I purchased Salt & Sanctuary a while back and haven't even loaded it up.

Anyone put time into it? Impressions?
Old 07-28-17, 02:52 AM   #911
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

After 5-6 years of owning an overlocked i5-2500k, the upgrade bug and urge to tinker led me to buy a Ryzen 7 1700 today. Was debating whether I should get a Kaby Lake i7-7700k, wait for Coffee Lake, or get a Ryzen 5 or 7 just for shits and giggles and decided to go AMD just to mix it up a bit.

So far so good, was agonizing between the 1600 or 1700 but decided to just get the extra cores. Now time to spend days playing around with overclocking and tweaking. Been awhile since I've had a chance to do this!

Kept all my other components, but upgrading my GTX 970 and maybe moving to an NVMe SSD might happen down the line.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 08-22-17, 01:56 AM   #912
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

http://kotaku.com/age-of-empires-4-a...lop-1798184431

New Age of Empires. Cool.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 10-19-17, 04:54 PM   #913
shizawn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stardock released the Star Control games on Steam today, along Star Control: Origins, their new game in the Star Control universe.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/27...ntrol_Origins/

The game is still in development, but it can be pre-purchased and you'll get access to an upcoming beta. So effectively Early Access without saying so.

I'm keeping my eye on it, but I don't know how hopeful I am it'll be great. I think Paul and Fred/Toys for Bob are tangentially involved, but if I remember reading correctly back when this was first announced, while they have the Star Control license, they don't have the rights to use all the previous alien races.

Edit: So it doesn't look like Fred and Paul have any involvement in the Stardock game. They are, however, working on a direct sequel to Star Control 2. And this game will contain all the races from Star Control 2, as they still own all that.

https://dogarandkazon.squarespace.com/

Now this I'm excited about!

Last edited by shizawn; 10-19-17 at 06:52 PM..
Old 10-20-17, 01:16 AM   #914
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizawn View Post
The game is still in development, but it can be pre-purchased and you'll get access to an upcoming beta. So effectively Early Access without saying so...
Nitpick: Early Access games have no promise of a final "release" version ever coming out. A pre-purchase with early beta access has a promise of an eventual finished release.

To that end, you can get a refund on a pre-purchase up to 14 days after the official "release" of the title:
http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

So a bit less risky than an Early Access purchase.
Old 10-30-17, 01:45 PM   #915
EinCB
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti to play The Witcher 3 and it seems like the drivers were automatically installed. Is this normal? I thought I was supposed to download them manually. The visuals are phenomenal on the new card. I'm new to PC gaming so I'm not sure I know what I'm doing.

Thank you.
Old 10-30-17, 01:54 PM   #916
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
I bought a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti to play The Witcher 3 and it seems like the drivers were automatically installed. Is this normal? I thought I was supposed to download them manually. The visuals are phenomenal on the new card. I'm new to PC gaming so I'm not sure I know what I'm doing.

Thank you.
Windows is pretty good about grabbing necessary drivers. If you want additional control over the card you'll need to download the Nvidia packages, but barring that it should function just fine on its own.
Old 10-30-17, 02:33 PM   #917
Trevor
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

GOG is having a big Halloween sale, and another round of GOG Connect. Free GOG versions if you own the steam versions of these select 29 games.
https://www.gog.com/connect