Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PC Gaming Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: PC Gaming Thread

Originally Posted by Me007gold
How about a power supply? 750w good enough or is that overkill?
Seasonic and XFX (Seasonic make them for XFX) are very good brands. Corsair is also pretty good. 750w is more than enough. You would be fine with 650w, or even less, but I'd just stick with 650w. If you ever want to run multi-gpu, you'd really need something closer to 800w+ anyway.

I'd suggest getting a semi-modular or modular power supply as well, helps keep the clutter down. Fully modular is a bit pointless, because the cables that aren't modular on the semi units are just the CPU power connectors usually, and those you'll obviously always use.

Efficiently rating of Gold or higher is nice, but not a big deal, since it may be more efficient, but it costs more, so you may never see the cost benefits.

I updated the build with a PSU that looks good (but please check out reviews first). It's also Gold rated, but at a very good price.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9Yf2GX
Old 05-29-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
I'm not a computer person at all, so I understood maybe 10% of what you just posted.

I was just worried that maybe a smaller motherboard was slower and/or had worse performance than a larger motherboard. Similar to how the mobile components in a laptop are slower than their desktop counterparts.

I don't want a server or anything. I just want my HTPC to play video games, watch Netflix and Hulu, and surf the web.

I would never even attempt to overclock anything. As I said, I'm not a computer person, so I would be too afraid I would blow something up. Plus, from what I understand, overclocking raises the temperature, so you need better cooling. I just plan to go with stock cooling since I don't really want to mess with anything else.
Haha, no worries.

Overclocking is actually really easy, there's lots of good software that's included with some motherboards to completely automate it. Like you said, cooling needs to be a concern, but that's always a concern, just a bit more so when overclocking.

A decent option would be to get a Asus Maximus motherboard in the form factor of your choosing, and then say in 4 years, you feel like you're CPU is bottlenecking, then you can look into overclocking then. You'd at least have the option to, since you'd already have a K (basically more overclocking friendly) CPU.

mITX will limit you from ever having more than one graphics card (not a big deal to most), and only 2 slots for memory (just get 16GB from the outset, and you'll probably never need to worry about it, until you are ready to upgrade your entire system). Other than that, it won't be a big deal to you.

One thing to consider is with the case, if you plan right, it can last you 10+ years, through multiple new CPU/motherboards. I always spend high on cases, and plan to keep them for as long as possible. It pays off in the end, especially when you buy a case that's easy to work with and cools well.
Old 05-30-15, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is what I ended up with, pretty excited to get it and get my 1st build done.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/s2yLLk
Old 05-30-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

You can see how it compares to a mid range system PC Gamer put together in March.

http://www.pcgamer.com/pc-build-guid...nge-gaming-pc/
Old 05-30-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Mr. Overkill that I like to be, I'd love to build their high-end gaming PC. Though I'd add an HDD for my music collection.
Old 05-30-15, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Get a NAS, Mr. Overkill

This is what I ended up with, pretty excited to get it and get my 1st build done.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/s2yLLk

Looks nice, close to what i'd probably build if I were putting together a new system too.
Old 05-31-15, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone playing Invisible Inc? I just heard about that game this weekend, and now I am hopelessly addicted to it. I have played it probably close to 20 hours this weekend.

It is very similar to XCom with the same turn-based style gameplay. Invisible Inc however is focused on stealth. It is also very roguelike with everything being randomly generated so that no two games are ever exactly the same.
Old 05-31-15, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

980 Ti released.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/t...-980-ti-review
Old 05-31-15, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Get a NAS, Mr. Overkill
What does "NAS" mean?
Old 05-31-15, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RocShemp
What does "NAS" mean?
Network Attached Storage, basically a standalone storage server opposed to something directly attached.
Old 05-31-15, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Network Attached Storage, basically a standalone storage server opposed to something directly attached.
Oh, cool. Never heard of that before.
Old 06-02-15, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Valve is awesome!
Steam Refunds

Steam has announced that you can get a refund of any game bought on their system within 14 days and less than two hours of playtime for any reason.

If the game crashes on your system, refund. You bought the wrong game, refund. The game sucks, refund.
Old 06-02-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Cool, but me play a Steam game in the first 14 days? Ludicrous.
Old 06-04-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Steam Controller

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8fs2Yh1PFwM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/?cc=us
Old 06-05-15, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Off topic, but if anyone is interested in buying my TS-451 NAS from me, I'll probably be selling it in a month or so (maybe less), it's been upgraded to 8GB of ram, $350.

https://www.qnap.com/i/en/product/model.php?II=143

It's a very good NAS, powerful enough to run a lot of stuff at once. I'm building my own server to incorporate surveillance cameras, and need something beefier for that.

And in general I definitely recommend QNAP NAS systems. They have software very similar to Synology, but at a much cheaper cost. It's very easy to use, well supported, and reliable. Build quality is also very good.
Old 06-05-15, 09:52 AM

Got my 1st build just about finished. Just waiting for the correct dvd drive. The one I ordered isnt going to be here till tomorrow, but I wanted to get started, how to borrow one from an older pc. Took about 3 hours, and the cables could still be a little neater, but since there is no window, it really does not matter

Old 06-05-15, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Is it funny that the first thing I notice is the PS/2 mouse in the background?

Grats on the build, no major issues I assume?
Old 06-05-15, 10:30 AM

Is it funny that the first thing I notice is the PS/2 mouse in the background?

Grats on the build, no major issues I assume?
Nope, very smooth, plug and play, I was a bit shocked at how easy it was actually
Old 06-05-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope, very smooth, plug and play, I was a bit shocked at how easy it was actually
Yep, building a PC has always been a breeze, but they've somehow made it even easier these days.1
Old 06-05-15, 12:25 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

The only part I ever find daunting is mounting the CPU on the motherboard. I always have the shop do that part for me when I buy the parts together.

The rest is a total breeze.
Old 06-05-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The only thing about building a PC is even the most seasoned technical guy can have a new build not POST for various reasons. I've probably built hundreds of PC's, both for personal and for work, but there's still always that sinking feeling when you press power and nothing happens
Old 06-05-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep. The worst is when you do a full build and then realize you have a bad Mobo.

...Or in my case, causes a tiny paper sticker on the RAM to ignite. (it was another time.)
Old 06-05-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dan
The only part I ever find daunting is mounting the CPU on the motherboard. I always have the shop do that part for me when I buy the parts together.

The rest is a total breeze.
You probably haven't noticed what CPU's look like nowadays, but they don't use pins any more, so it's just a matter of putting a square block with a notch in the correct orientation (the notch prevents incorrect installation).

The most "difficult" (just annoying) part of putting together a PC is connecting all the LED/switches to the motherboard. I don't understand how that hasn't been standardized to a single plug yet... absolutely stupid.
Old 06-05-15, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Getting jealous.

But I'm actually looking to build a 4K system. It will be expensive, depending on when I build it of course, since I won't be able to recycle almost anything.

New MB, memory, CPU. New Monitor. New GPU of course. I want one card that can push 4K decently.

I know that almost everything that's going to be able to do that is going to be released later this year, or earlier 2016. So Christmas 2016 present maybe?
Old 06-05-15, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Does anyone use a gaming keypad instead of a traditional keyboard? If so, what do you think?

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Nostromo-PC-Gaming-Keypad/dp/B004AM5RB6

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.