Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts
re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Originally Posted by redbill
But who hasn't already played those Batman games on the older gen?
  • People who didn't have a 360 or PS3 last-gen but do have a console now
  • People who did have a last-gen console but didn't get around to picking up either of those games
  • People who've already played the games but want to re-experience them in a newer, shinier form
Old 03-25-15, 12:12 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
With no backwards compatibility, its basically a cheap way for publishers to make more money and get people to rebuy games if they want to replay them. Especially for folks that get rid of their old systems.
This is me. I know some people never replay games, but I enjoy replaying. There are some games that I enjoy replaying often. The Arkham series is one such example, and I replay them about once a year or so. I have played AA and AC from start to finish 100% at least half a dozen times and never gotten tired of them. They are the biggest reason (along with the Uncharted series) why I still have a PS3. If they get remastered, then I can finally get rid of the PS3. Less consoles cluttering up my space is better than more consoles. Any enhanced graphics, framerate, resolution, whatever is just an extra bonus to me.
Old 03-25-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Speaking of remasters: is that Metal Slug 3 PSN game that was just released and on sale this week really just a port and not a remaster? For 15 bucks (sans sale)?
Old 03-25-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by fujishig
Speaking of remasters: is that Metal Slug 3 PSN game that was just released and on sale this week really just a port and not a remaster? For 15 bucks (sans sale)?
Looks like it:
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/618yA_WYK4c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-25-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I watched that preview vid waiting for the moment when they transitioned to the brand new graphics or something, which never came. Odd. Not that I think everything needs to be remastered, but that seems super expensive for a glorified port of a game that's been much cheaper in other collections and even on Steam; plus it's part of their grand PSN promo.
Old 03-25-15, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I love the Metal Slug games but yeah $15 for a single un-remastered title is ridiculous.
Old 03-25-15, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Well, here's the official party line:

Metal Slug 3 Out Today on PS4, PS3, PS Vita

Posted by Adam Laatz on Mar 24, 2015 // Director of Business Development, SNK PLAYMORE

We’re proud to announce today’s launch of Metal Slug 3, the pinnacle of 2D run & gun action on PS4, PS3, and PS Vita during Spring Fever!

Metal Slug 3 | PlayStation.com

Originally launched in 2000 by SNK on the NEOGEO game console — which celebrates its 25th Anniversary this year, Metal Slug 3 is the most highly-praised installment in the series by Metal Slug fans around the world for its refined game balance and massive volume.

Together with Code Mystics and SCEA Third Party Productions, not only did we want to bring a high-quality version of the original NEOGEO game with added Trophy support and online multiplayer, this download version of Metal Slug 3 also includes convenient cross save functionality, and a cross play feature allowing players to enjoy co-op gameplay on any of these three PlayStation platforms.

In order to emphasize and have players take advantage of these unique features, our latest and greatest NEOGEO release on PlayStation Store is available for a limited time at $14.99 as a three-way cross buy game during the Spring Fever campaign, with a 10% discount for PS Plus members.

In celebration of today’s launch, SNK’s lead artist Eisuke Ogura has prepared an exclusive new visual of (the rare) Mission 4 “way of the forgotten samurai soldiers” branching path. Almost all of the game’s missions feature one to several branching routes sending players to a variety of unique areas… Be sure to find, play, and clear them all!

So best as I can tell, they figure it's worth it because it's Cross Buy for a limted time.
Old 03-25-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts

PS4 System Update 2.50 Available Tomorrow, Features Detailed

+ Posted by John Koller on Mar 25, 2015 // VP of Platforms Marketing, SCEA

Tomorrow, PlayStation 4 will get an update to system software version 2.50, codenamed “Yukimura,” which will bring an onslaught of features: some you’ve been anticipating, many you’ve requested, and others that might surprise you. This update will make significant improvements to your PS4 experience, making it even more streamlined and enjoyable.

Following the update, you’ll be able to smoothly pick games up right where you left off, find and connect with friends quicker, customize your experience and share your most epic moments in a more meaningful way.

PlayStation 4 v2.50 Update

Features coming to PS4 with “Yukimura” include:

Suspend/Resume* — Supported by nearly all of your PS4 games, you can jump in and out of your games with just the press of the PS button. Quickly switch from Rest Mode to powered-up so you can pick up where you left off.
Back-Up and Restore HDD to USB — Back-up and restore your hard disc drive data associated with users on your PS4, including settings, saved data, screenshots and video clips as well as games, patches and download data, to and from an external USB drive.
Find and Connect with Friends — “Yukimura” adds to an already robust set of social tools, bringing several updates to continue making PS4 the best place to play with your friends, including:
Facebook Friend Finder — Using your linked account, you can expand your network by searching and connecting with your Facebook friends.
Improved Friend requests — Friend requests and Real Name requests can be sent together in one step when adding a friend on PS4.
Streamlined Party process — The process to create a Party has been streamlined with a reduction in the number of steps required.
Find Friends who play your games — Easily view what friends are playing on each game detail page with a real-time “Friends Who Play This” section, which also highlights which friends are currently online and playing it, and if you own the game, allows you to jump directly into the game.
Join Friends directly from news feed — A new tile will be added on your What’s New feed where you can see what your friends are currently playing, enabling you to join in the game if you own it.
Share Earned Trophies and Optimize Your Trophy List — We know that Trophies are important to many gamers, so we’re bringing more control with how you show them off:
Automatic Trophy Screenshots — A screenshot will automatically be captured when a Trophy is earned, preserving the moment to share with friends.
SHARE Trophies — Players can share Trophy information to Facebook, Twitter or via Message by pressing the SHARE button.
Additional Trophy sorting options — Sort your Trophy list by Earned Date, Not Earned and Grade.
Delete 0% Trophies — Remove games from your Trophy list that have zero percent completion.
Improved and Expanded Accessibility Options — New options added to customize the user experience include:
Customized button assignments for DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller.
Zoom for displayed pictures and inverted colors for all system functions, apps and in-game.
Text-to-speech for all graphical user interface, including Message and Party.
Enlarged text for all graphical user interface, including Message and Party, as well as the system’s browser.
Bolder fonts and higher contrast UI for all system applications (but will not apply to games or third-party applications).
Remote Play and Share Play — For games that support 60 fps, users will be able to automatically enjoy those games with 60 fps for both Remote Play and Share Play** on supported devices.
Automatic Installation for System Software Updates — Enable automatic installation for future system software updates.
Sub-Account Upgrade — Enable users 18 years of age or older with sub-accounts to upgrade to a master account directly on PS4, removing restrictions on chat and enabling users to add funds to their Wallet, purchase content and more.
Verified Accounts — Select game developers, producers, designers and community managers will be verified with a badge.
Dailymotion — Upload video clips directly to Dailymotion via the SHARE button.

PlayStation Vita and PlayStation App for smartphones and tablets will also receive system software updates tonight, adding complementary features to those added to PS4. PS Vita update version 3.50 and PlayStation App update version 2.50 will add new accessibility options, including enlarged text, increased contrast and more. This update also enables PS Vita to support 60 fps streaming for Remote Play**.

We’re excited for you to get your hands on these new features and experience them for yourselves. You have all been such a big part of our successes, and we have carefully listened to your requests to make your PlayStation experiences even better. We’re happy to be delivering many of them with “Yukimura.” Please keep the feedback flowing, so we can continue making PlayStation 4 the best place to play.

*Suspend/Resume is not fully supported by some software titles.
**A sufficiently robust wi-fi connection is required.
Old 03-25-15, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Still no auto-sync for trophies? Ugh.
Old 03-25-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Bolder fonts?
Old 03-25-15, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Still no auto-sync for trophies? Ugh.
When would they supposedly auto-sync? It doesn't take but a mere couple of seconds to sync any new trophies when I go to look at my trophies. Now, on the PS3 this was a whole other animal and was frustration inducing at times.
Old 03-25-15, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
When would they supposedly auto-sync?
The console is already looking for system updates and backing up saves, so...then, I guess?
Old 03-25-15, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

People keep mentioning Bloodborne, but does it offer anything that couldn't be done on PS3? I'm not saying that it's a bad game (because obviously it's not), but I would say a better example would be Shadow of Mordor.
Old 03-25-15, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Isn't there a last-gen release of Shadows of Mordor though?
Old 03-25-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 747 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Isn't there a last-gen release of Shadows of Mordor though?
Yes, but by all accounts it's not nearly as fun on the last gen. The Nemesis system is fucked.

http://kotaku.com/shadow-of-mordor-i...les-1660387779
Old 03-25-15, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
When would they supposedly auto-sync? It doesn't take but a mere couple of seconds to sync any new trophies when I go to look at my trophies. Now, on the PS3 this was a whole other animal and was frustration inducing at times.
The problem is that there is a nasty bug with trophies that I've been running into lately.

Yesterday, after waiting for months, I finally got Flawless Raider in Destiny, which also gave me the platinum. They popped on the screen as usual, but when I went to sync them, they weren't there. And I couldn't actually sync at all.

It took me hours to get the trophies to show. I rebuilt the database in safe mode, and nothing. Earned a trophy in GTA V, which did show up on my trophy list and allowed my list to sync, but the Destiny ones were still missing. I finally went back into Destiny and the trophies went to the list and I could sync.

They need to fix that, but it'd be nice if the trophies instantly synced to PSN rather than having to leave the game to do it myself.
Old 03-26-15, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, 2.50 just got pushed to my PS4 and I'm installing now.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

EDIT: It went real quick. The moved the PS Store link to the main menu, left of the start icon. I'm gonna try suspending GTA.

EDIT 2: And Suspend mode worked perfectly. The PS4 loaded as quick as usual from rest mode, and put me right back into GTA where it left off. Awesome.

Last edited by TheKing; 03-26-15 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-26-15, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great! Now people will have to find something else to bitch/gloat about. I don't think I'll get a lot of use out of suspend/resume, but it's good to see it finally get it integrated.

I guess the only remaining things that I'd really like to see are folders/customization for friends list and "turn off DS4" getting a spot on the first level of the menu.
Old 03-26-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I loved Suspend/Resume on the Xbox One. So I look forward to it on here (it depends on your gaming habits, but I like being able to drop into a game for 10 minutes without waiting for it to load, then sitting through "Brought to you by" cinematics, and then start menus, and then more load screens and potentially more cinematics. Or if it's a game with spread out checkpoints, having to find a checkpoint.)
Old 03-26-15, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can I assume suspend/resume isn't going to work for an online only game such as Destiny since the game boots you out of it after a certain amount of inactivity time?
Old 03-26-15, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
can I assume suspend/resume isn't going to work for an online only game such as Destiny since the game boots you out of it after a certain amount of inactivity time?
Safe bet, yeah. The two games that have gotten the bulk of my playing time lately (Destiny and Warframe) will get no use out of suspend resume. Hell, I don't even use the standby feature.

But for some of the indie games I've been playing, suspend/resume would be pretty nice.
Old 03-26-15, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The game will stay loaded but you will be kicked out of your session (obviously enough). When you start your system back up you'll be in the lobby.

Of course, I leave my PS4 in Rest/Suspend anyway for PS TV/Vita Remote Play reasons, and background download reasons.
Old 03-26-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The game will stay loaded but you will be kicked out of your session (obviously enough). When you start your system back up you'll be in the lobby.

Of course, I leave my PS4 in Rest/Suspend anyway for PS TV/Vita Remote Play reasons, and background download reasons.
not sure about that .... there is no "lobby" in Destiny .... Destiny will boot you to the title screen after a certain amount of inactivity
Old 03-26-15, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

On the XBox One resuming in Destiny after a long time just brings up the message about inactivity and sends you back to the title screen.
Old 03-26-15, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

not sure about that .... there is no "lobby" in Destiny .... Destiny will boot you to the title screen after a certain amount of inactivity
Ah, I meant online games in general, but that makes sense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.