Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-16, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Originally Posted by Jay G.
But after User A contacts Sony about the fraudulent charges that were charged back, Sony can then remove the content from the account. So now the User has their money back, and Sony has their content back.

Sure, Sony sill has to eat the chargeback fine, but that's the price you pay for allowing credit cards to be tied to a gaming account. If they don't want to deal with chargebacks when fraudulent charges are made, they shouldn't deal with credit cards at all and only allow PSN gift cards.
I guess part of the problem is that my system is set to automatically download when it's in rest mode, so some of the stuff was downloaded on my system. When I turned my PS4 on that morning, Injustice was installed, while Rainbow Six, Assassin's Creed, and goddamn Pro Evolution Soccer were in the queue, unable to be installed. I guess running out of hard drive space has its advantages.

I called Sony yesterday, and talked to a "Supervisor." She gave me the same spiel. "We can't un-ban your account because we haven't been compensated for the games that were downloaded," etc. No help whatsoever. I've filed a complaint with the BBB, but I don't see that helping out that much.

I guess I'm stuck without an account, unless I pony up $150 or Sony comes to their senses.
Old 08-09-16, 08:30 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
But after User A contacts Sony about the fraudulent charges that were charged back, Sony can then remove the content from the account. So now the User has their money back, and Sony has their content back.
The point is that the user got their money back via the chargeback method, and not a standard refund. Sony is still out for the cost of the content, as it's not likely that they'd do a chargeback on the publisher for the content that was purchased, to balance their own records. Further, I wouldn't say "Sony has their content back" as much as "the content just disappears" since it'd no longer be tied to any account, despite Sony eating the cost for it.

Sure, Sony sill has to eat the chargeback fine, but that's the price you pay for allowing credit cards to be tied to a gaming account. If they don't want to deal with chargebacks when fraudulent charges are made, they shouldn't deal with credit cards at all and only allow PSN gift cards.
Hey, I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying, chargebacks are serious business. NO company wants to have chargebacks initiated, and (typically) credit card companies are hesitant to even do it unless there's proof that the retailer is at fault for the situation. In addition to the fines, my understanding is that the credit card companies can apply other penalties to Sony if they have too many chargebacks, although I don't know of any specifics. Haven't read about it in a long time.
I think the way Sony handles this is horseshit (especially in regard to forcing customers to buy PSN cards to make up for the lost revenue), but I can see why they'd have a certain policy in place to attempt to avoid outright abuse of the system.

All of that ties into the grey-market resellers of PC codes situation as well, although that seems to play out a little differently. In some cases, the fraudulent transactions can be reversed, and the codes/content disabled, but as you can see from these code resellers' sites, it's still a big shady business.
Old 08-09-16, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Juzylle
I've filed a complaint with the BBB, but I don't see that helping out that much.
I still think that is your best option and you should see some results if it's directed at the right people.

Also, I still don't understand the gift card thing. Even if you buy $150 in gift cards, those will be used to buy content. So in the end, wouldn't they still be out the content that was originally purchased by the thief?
Old 08-09-16, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I still think that is your best option and you should see some results if it's directed at the right people.

Also, I still don't understand the gift card thing. Even if you buy $150 in gift cards, those will be used to buy content. So in the end, wouldn't they still be out the content that was originally purchased by the thief?
Hell, I don't know. I'm not sure what I'd do with that $150 in credit anyway. Would I just add it to my wallet and they'd take it? Then refund it? It really doesn't make a bit of sense.

If it's just a matter of numbers, then write it off or something, you know? The process is mind-boggling. It's a shitty, arrogant way to treat your customers.
Old 08-09-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Regarding chargebacks:

I just tried ordering something from a large company's website which was in stock for a short time. I got all the way past the payment auth stage only to have the order error out after for lack of stock. That's just a poor way to design a website. If the charge actually does post, you better believe I will have my card issuer do a chargeback. The merchant put themselves in that position - I don't need to spend my time dealing with them and their ineptitude when my card issuer will take care of me like a customer they actually care about.
Old 08-09-16, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

The word is that the Neo will be announced/unveiled/something on September 7th at 3 PM (Eastern).
Old 08-09-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably that and one last VR push before launch

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cnet....android-att-us
Old 08-12-16, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Splurged and bought No Man's Sky and a PS4 last night. What other PS4 exclusives should I check out, aside from the obvious Uncharted - I'm thinking more downloadable style (The Witness, etc). Not a fan of FPS, so skip those ones please.
Old 08-12-16, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Juzylle, any updates on the ban? Did they get in touch with you after the BBB complaint?
Old 08-12-16, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Splurged and bought No Man's Sky and a PS4 last night. What other PS4 exclusives should I check out, aside from the obvious Uncharted - I'm thinking more downloadable style (The Witness, etc). Not a fan of FPS, so skip those ones please.
Check out Ratchet and Clank and Resogun.

I haven't played them myself, but if you haven't already gotten Firewatch or Invisible Inc. on Steam, you might like 'em for the PS4.
Old 08-12-16, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Check out Ratchet and Clank and Resogun.

I haven't played them myself, but if you haven't already gotten Firewatch or Invisible Inc. on Steam, you might like 'em for the PS4.
Have Firewatch already (can I play a steam game on a ps4?) Will look into Invisible Inc.
Old 08-12-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Don't buy any downloadable games at full price. There are VERY frequent PSN Sales and monthly Flash Sales with often GREAT deals. Keep an eye on the PSN tread -- I try to keep it up to date with any weekly sales that are of note. (Missed the last one when I was on vacation though )

That said, watch out for Talos Principle (a really cool puzzle game) and Alienation (an awesome, deep twin-stick shooter made by the Resogun folks -- it's fantastic)

And your FIRST purchase should be Playstation Plus. You get some very nice games almost every month (not so much this month, but often enough).
Old 08-12-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, I'll likely grab a cheap PS+ subscription for the freebies
Old 08-13-16, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Juzylle, any updates on the ban? Did they get in touch with you after the BBB complaint?
Nope, still banned. My case has been shuffled around to different regional offices. No word from anyone yet. I'm not really holding my breath.

Not really sure what else I can do, unless I just suck it up and do the PSN card bullshit.
Old 08-14-16, 10:09 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Seriously folks, if you have any payment methods (PayPal or Credit Cards) attached to your Sony/PSN account, remove them, and consider changing your passwords. I don't think we can post links to other forums, but NeoGAF has at least SEVEN individual threads within the last TEN days, all from different users, most of which were using unique passwords on their PSN accounts. It's only going to get worse.
Old 08-14-16, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dan
Seriously folks, if you have any payment methods (PayPal or Credit Cards) attached to your Sony/PSN account, remove them, and consider changing your passwords. I don't think we can post links to other forums, but NeoGAF has at least SEVEN individual threads within the last TEN days, all from different users, most of which were using unique passwords on their PSN accounts. It's only going to get worse.
Totally agree. I've seen the threads on NeoGAF. It's happening more frequently, so something's up. Sony needs to address this soon. But yea, if I ever get another account with them I'm not keeping any payment info on there.
Old 08-14-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Yeah, Reddit is full of these kinds of posts, too.
Old 08-14-16, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Deleted my CC, thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-14-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

The CC I use for online stuff (I have 3, one for online, one for in person and one for business) was hacked last month - I don't know through what, but it was used at a physical store in another state somehow. But that's taken care of and I just got a new one - so that I don't have to cancel and get another new one so soon, I just deleted my CC off PSN. There's not much I'm buying from the PSN store anyhow.
Old 08-14-16, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Time to round up these worthless scum that would rather steal than work for what they have. Ship them off to some remote part of the world where they can steal the thread from the clothes of their rivals. Pond scum!
Old 08-14-16, 07:32 PM

Off topic :
I discovered that if you don load the King of Fighters XIV Demo, you get a free Dynamic Theme as well. Kinda cool.
Old 08-14-16, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Off topic :
I discovered that if you don load the King of Fighters XIV Demo, you get a free Dynamic Theme as well. Kinda cool.
What if I am not a don? Can I still get the dynamic theme?
Old 08-15-16, 10:58 AM

PS4 System Software 4.00 Will Feature Folders, UI Refresh, More

Posted by John Koller on Aug 15, 2016 // Vice President, PlayStation Brand Marketing, SCEA

Our beta for PS4’s upcoming 4.00 update, codenamed Shingen, rolls out soon for everyone included in the public beta program. If you signed up and were selected, be on the lookout for an email with instructions on how to download.

Whether you’re in the beta or not, we wanted to give everyone a glimpse at some of the new aspects of this system software. We’re refreshing the system UI, adding tools for organization, updating the Quick Menu, and much more.

UI Refresh

We’ve made a lot of adjustments and improvements to PS4’s main user interface. That includes some changes you may notice right away, like new system backgrounds and a revised What’s New tab, to smaller changes like updated popup notifications and redesigned system icons. As a whole, it all adds up to a more refined and easy to use UI. The overall look and feel of the UI remains the same — it just has a fresh coat of paint.

Quick Menu

As you know, pressing and holding the PS button on your DualShock 4 brings up the Quick Menu. We’ve overhauled this menu to make it faster and easier to use. One big change is that the menu now only covers a portion of the screen, meaning you don’t need to leave gameplay entirely.

We’ve added several new items to the Quick Menu, letting you quickly get info without having to back to the home screen. You can see the online status of your friends, and shortcuts to quickly access your Party, Favorite Groups, Communities, and more. You can also customize the Quick Menu, removing or adding items as you see fit.

Share Menu

We’ve given a similar overhaul to the Share Menu, which appears once you press the Share button on your DualShock 4. Like the Quick Menu, it only covers a portion of the screen. It will save the last social network you shared video clips or screenshots to, making the process of sharing a screenshot or video a bit faster and more streamlined.

You can also upload longer video clips to Twitter (was 10 seconds, now up to 140 seconds).

Folders and Library Organization

One of the big requests we get is for more options to organize content on PS4. With this update, we’re adding functionality to create folders on PS4’s content launcher and Library. This will help collect your favorite games and select apps in one place for quick and easy access.

We’re also making some pretty big changes to the Library. We’ve added a new tab called Purchased, which will show all of the content you own — games, applications, demos, and betas you’ve participated in. As a result, the Games and Applications tabs focus on content currently installed on your system. This should help de-clutter your library, and make it faster to find the content you’re looking for.

There are some new sorting tools for your Library as well. You’ll be able to sort content by purchase date or install status, and search for specific games and apps via text input.

Trophy Improvements

This update brings the ability to view the Trophy offline. You’ll see a new “offline mode” option if your system is unable to connect to the network, letting you view your entire Trophy collection without an Internet connection.

We’ve also added a button that will let you view the content of a Hidden Trophy. The Trophy will still be hidden by default, but you can now choose to show the Trophy name and info.

Lastly, we’re changing the icons that show how rare a Trophy is. Instead of four boxes that fill, the icon looks like a pyramid with the ultra-rare Trophies at the top.

User Profile

We’ve updated the look of the User Profile, making it easier to see relevant info for a player at-a-glance. For instance, you can now see your Trophy progress compared with another player right from their profile. You can also add a background image to your own profile — perhaps a screenshot you took in one of your favorite games.

The update has even more features that won’t be available in the beta, so stay tuned for additional info on what to expect. We’ll be back with more info on 4.00, including its launch date, in the coming weeks.
Old 08-15-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Hopefully in the new quick menu, they added a faster way to shut off controllers.

Everything else sounds pretty decent. Hopefully they've kept the UI to a single screen as it has been. That's one of my favorite things about the PS4.
Old 08-15-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just want them to push the games library all the way over to the left side. With all of the PS+ games, it's starting to take awhile going all the way to the right.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.