The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Originally Posted by musick
what does it say?
It says god damn this game looks awesome...and is growing in meaningful ways (new worlds, new parkour moves and entire new enemy factions)...and yeah, is still utterly free for those who don't mind or enjoy a bit of farming.

It also says "now THIS is a proper fucking expansion".
Old 03-07-15, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
Sadly you'll have to wait until October 2014.
It wasn't shareplay...

It was watching someone playing a game, (I think they used Killzone in the video), buying the game and then jumping into their multiplayer game... not taking over their game.
Old 03-07-15, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's amazing how much chess can turn me on to and off of Warframe at the same time. He does both moreso than anyone else.
Old 03-07-15, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Music
It wasn't shareplay...

It was watching someone playing a game, (I think they used Killzone in the video), buying the game and then jumping into their multiplayer game... not taking over their game.
Everything you just described is possible with shareplay, so I guess I'm confused.

- Watch a friend's game...shareplay
- Buying the game...guess you have to go to the store?
- Jump in their game...shareplay for some games, or if you buy the game, any game

The menus don't look exactly like the demonstration, but all of the capabilities are there with shareplay.
Old 03-07-15, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JohnSlider
It's amazing how much chess can turn me on to and off of Warframe at the same time. He does both moreso than anyone else.

When I think of the douchey trouble you could get into...
Old 03-07-15, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I guess what I remembered them showing looked or seemed a lot more fluid/integrated and less involved.
Old 03-07-15, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw the video Music is talking about. It was Killzone. The guy was watching his friend playing, and all he did was a push a button to 'join game' and suddenly he was in the same game playing alongside his friend.

I got the impression when I saw that video that it would be a feature of your friends list. So instead of it just displaying the text of what game your friends are playing, it actually showed the video of them playing it.

I thought shareplay had to be set up via chat first, and then you invited a friend into it and it was all coordinated. I suppose the capabilities are the same, but the execution of it in action seemed very different in the video.
Old 03-07-15, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I remember. It was Shu at Gamescom 2013.

The demonstration showed, I think, where they wanted to go with the tech, and shareplay is where they ended up. It seems like the tech is there to do what they did on stage, but I can't imagine that people would want their screens viewed without first authorizing it.

And I haven't used shareplay to see how it integrates with the store, so I can't speak to that, but the store isn't exactly hard to get to.
Old 03-07-15, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No one said it was and I'm sure it would be an option that the user could select or not.
Old 03-07-15, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Question - Just recently, my PS4 will just spin a disc, the stop, then start, then stop, over and over, constantly until I take out the disc. It doesn't matter if the game is running or not, installed or not, either way, I keep hearing the disc drive start and stop every other second. It used to not do this, and now it does.

Anyone else have this? Is it a known issue/problem?
Anyone? I'm getting worried.
Old 03-07-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I think there is a way to join your friends in a game they are playing. However, I don't think you can just jump in a multiplayer game just like that. Killzone only has the single player story and online multiplayer. If one could just jump in and appear alongside his or her buddy in the middle of an already set match then that would piss someone off. I need to watch that video to see exactly what mode the other player jumped into.
Old 03-07-15, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Anyone? I'm getting worried.
I aassume it's the case with several different discs and you've tried cleaning them already, right?

My best friend had an issue where his PS4 kept ejecting the disc. We tried this technique and it worked well for him. No harm in you giving it a shot as well :

The first step is to hold down the power button until the system beeps twice. Then wait about 30 seconds until all system lights are off, unplug the power cable, and leave it be for three minutes. Your PS4 should then run normally, but if the restart method doesn't eliminate the issue, Sony recommends visiting this website where you can fill out a service request form to send your console in for service.
Old 03-08-15, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Discs are clean as can be. And it's a completely different issue than the ejecting thing.
Old 03-08-15, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K5Dr3RcJZZk?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It says god damn this game looks awesome...and is growing in meaningful ways (new worlds, new parkour moves and entire new enemy factions)...and yeah, is still utterly free for those who don't mind or enjoy a bit of farming.

It also says "now THIS is a proper fucking expansion".
Pretty much agree
Old 03-08-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm willing to bet you've logged over 1000 hours in Warframe. That's more than a bit. You've been playing it since the PS4 launched and have seen it evolve and can appreciate all the changes that have made it great. People just starting out now probably wouldn't know any better and just be overwhelmed. I remember when it first came out that people in the Warframe thread were saying it was confusing... I can't even imagine what it's like now after a year and a half worth of additions. I think it's massiveness is a turn-off for new players.

Just as the Destiny update was noob friendly and turned off many of the veterans, I think this game has the opposite effect. Great for the people that are well established, but scaring away anyone that has to start out fresh and invest a considerable amount of time to be a competent player. That's how I feel about it anyway.

EDIT: I'm sure you and your clan would help new players along, but I personally don't like to have my hand held. So for me, I feel it would be HUGE grind to get up to speed in this game.

Last edited by 19K; 03-08-15 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-08-15, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm wondering who here beside me and meatpants has got Helldivers? I just got it yesterday and played the first mission and I like it. I can see where 2-4 players can be fun and like I've heard...die a lot. For a game that's $18.00 it looks and plays pretty good.
Old 03-08-15, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 19K
I'm willing to bet you've logged over 1000 hours in Warframe. That's more than a bit. You've been playing it since the PS4 launched and have seen it evolve and can appreciate all the changes that have made it great. People just starting out now probably wouldn't know any better and just be overwhelmed. I remember when it first came out that people in the Warframe thread were saying it was confusing... I can't even imagine what it's like now after a year and a half worth of additions. I think it's massiveness is a turn-off for new players.

Just as the Destiny update was noob friendly and turned off many of the veterans, I think this game has the opposite effect. Great for the people that are well established, but scaring away anyone that has to start out fresh and invest a considerable amount of time to be a competent player. That's how I feel about it anyway.

EDIT: I'm sure you and your clan would help new players along, but I personally don't like to have my hand held. So for me, I feel it would be HUGE grind to get up to speed in this game.
I can attest to this. I am on the XO and have no friends with whom to play. So playing solo it is dense and confusing and I feel like I am getting nowhere. The game is awesome and all the options indicate to me how sweet the thing is once you figure everything out... but for a solo beginner. It is rough.
Old 03-08-15, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I can attest to this. I am on the XO and have no friends with whom to play. So playing solo it is dense and confusing and I feel like I am getting nowhere. The game is awesome and all the options indicate to me how sweet the thing is once you figure everything out... but for a solo beginner. It is rough.

Exactly why I haven't played since my first couple times.
Old 03-08-15, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Question - Just recently, my PS4 will just spin a disc, the stop, then start, then stop, over and over, constantly until I take out the disc. It doesn't matter if the game is running or not, installed or not, either way, I keep hearing the disc drive start and stop every other second. It used to not do this, and now it does.

I have had this happen a few times after my 5 year old puts in a disc. I think she gets fingerprints on it and then the system continually spins it up trying to read it and it can't. Each time, after I took out the disc and cleaned it (usually with my shirt), it would work fine.

So.....is your disc dirty?

EDIT: caught up with the rest of the thread and see that your disc is clean....not sure what it is then. Has it actually read the disc identity of the disc and put it in the cross media bar? (is it still called the cross media bar?)
Old 03-08-15, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He is going to yell at you... he already stated they were "as clean as can be".
Old 03-08-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 19K
I'm willing to bet you've logged over 1000 hours in Warframe. That's more than a bit.
Much more than 1000 hours, but most of that has been spent helping other players. It's a very social game that way.

You've been playing it since the PS4 launched and have seen it evolve and can appreciate all the changes that have made it great. People just starting out now probably wouldn't know any better and just be overwhelmed. I remember when it first came out that people in the Warframe thread were saying it was confusing... I can't even imagine what it's like now after a year and a half worth of additions. I think it's massiveness is a turn-off for new players.
Warframe has a viable tutorial now and didn't then. The basic game is hardly rocket science, but I'll admit that if you decide to follow it down the rabbit hole, it does go pretty deep. It has a simple skill tree system where you attach Mods (think cards) to frames and gear, and you can do something very basic with that system, or you can do some more advanced builds and get some crazy results.

On the contrary, the game is much more accessible now than it used to be. Getting resources to build stuff is much easier, getting credits is much easier, and more is tradeable now than ever before. And there is no such dichotomy in Warframe, because Warframe has never had a level cap increase. If you had a good frame and some good weapons six months or a year ago, they're still good. And if you get a good gear today, you're also good.

Buzz took probably 5-6 months off, and aside from missing a few event specific items, he's right back on track.

You're free to feel that way, but I also think you'd acknowledge that you're not really in a position to speak with any authority on the subject.

I've given people all of the intel they need to get started in Warframe in a couple of paragraphs in the Warframe thread, and I've done it multiple times. Hardly a grind. And the closest I've come to handholding is giving friends a good starter frame or a few basic mods to get them started, and sometimes I'll help unlock a few planets to give access to crafting resources.

Last edited by chess; 03-09-15 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-09-15, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Same for me. I put 2-3 hours in recently and got past all the beginner stuff. Then I had no idea what to do or how to approach things. Doesn't help that it feels like there are 500 different levels to the menus. Haven't gone back since.
Old 03-09-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Same for me. I put 2-3 hours in recently and got past all the beginner stuff. Then I had no idea what to do or how to approach things. Doesn't help that it feels like there are 500 different levels to the menus. Haven't gone back since.
That's unfortunate. I can't speak to how it's been adopted by the Xbox community, and I'm honestly not sure how much I'd like the controls without the touchpad anyway. There's something just "right" about swiping to cast.

I know where you're coming from though. I had a conversation with Gatorshea yesterday while we were playing Rogue Legacy, where I felt like I was getting my butt kicked and wasn't sure how to make progress, but he assured me that things open up considerably once you get past that initial hump. It's kind of the same with Warframe. It helps to have an advisor early on, because the game has a lot of depth and can be overwhelming. It comes with the territory when you have 20+ unique characters with unique powers and literally hundreds of weapons and thousands of mods.

However, it's not difficult at all to keep it simple and build a serviceable frame and some good guns, and then you can play anywhere. And believe me when I tell you that a high level Survival, Interception or Excavation with four players running around bombing crazy powers and reviving each other is the purest form of digital crack I've ever seen. It's like Platinum made an MMO.

The first DVDTalker to hit mastery rank 3 on PS4 (easy) gets the three blueprints for a Rhino Prime free of charge from my stash. He's a beast and is effective anywhere in the game at any level. We actually have a common expression in our group when somebody asks what frame they should bring to a mission..."When in doubt, Rhino". Here's an older video on vanilla Rhino (Prime is better) that shows some of the fast paced gameplay I'm always talking about and also serves as a bit of tutorial on how mods work:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4qcDghEw05g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-09-15, 10:29 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it is doing it with just one game, then even if that game is clean, there may be damage to the disc that is causing this issue. If it does it for all games, your insides of the ps4 may be dirty, and blowing some air in there when there is no disc inside might help. Outside that you have a problem.

Mine did this with a game even after I cleaned it. All my other games played fine, then one day I was holding the faulty game up to the light and I noticed a weird discoloration on the disc itself. When I used this game (call of duty by the way) on my sons ps4 it did the same thing. The game will play just fine, but my ps4 spins and slows down and spins the entire time I have it in.
Old 03-09-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

The first DVDTalker to hit mastery rank 3 on PS4 (easy) gets the three blueprints for a Rhino Prime free of charge from my stash.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.