Reload this Page >

THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Old 11-17-14, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

So I kept with it after suffering through chapters 1 and 2...even 3 was iffy. But now that I have my groove going it isn't too bad. I am getting used to the controls and I don't even notice the aspect ratio anymore. As others have said, it runs the spectrum between sneaking stealth (i.e. frustrating and clunky controls) to horror action in some chapters (looking at you 6!).

The game definitely still has its flaws but I am at Chapter 10 now and actually enjoying it.
Old 11-17-14, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The majority of players (myself included) consider chapter 3 to be the high point of the game. It's pretty excellent in terms of art and level design and the encounters. I feel like it's mostly downhill from there because it gets more and more actiony as you go.
Old 11-17-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MoviePage
The majority of players (myself included) consider chapter 3 to be the high point of the game. It's pretty excellent in terms of art and level design and the encounters. I feel like it's mostly downhill from there because it gets more and more actiony as you go.
Is chapter 3 the one that has the 5 houses or so you sneak around? And you get the crossbow and eventually "borrow" a chainsaw? I enjoyed that one but it was like the transition from stealth to action so I was constantly low on ammo throughout the chapter.

And compared to the rest,
Spoiler:
chapter 8
was very short. Are there any more like that?
Old 11-17-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, that's the one. It's reminiscent of RE4's village to a lot of people. I don't have any particular reverence for RE4, but I thought that chapter was the best because it was somewhat non-linear and could be approached in a few different ways. I also enjoyed the possibility of stealth, which pretty much disappears for the rest of the game except in a few cases.

And the other chapter you mentioned is definitely the shortest.
Old 11-18-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got to the end of Chapter 5 I believe and had seen enough. Clunky and frustrating.

And thematically I'm fine with spooky games and all, but when the weirdest things are happening to your character and he's just all "Huh, well that's something, la la la..." it irks the crap out of me.
Old 11-18-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So is this not worth picking up for $25 on BF?
Old 11-20-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
So is this not worth picking up for $25 on BF?
I think for that price it is definitely worth it if you liked Resident Evil 4 or survival horror in general. I found it frustrating in the beginning but I am enjoying it now.

Worst case, Amazon is giving 20-25 for trade in so you'd be out a few bucks at most down the road.
Old 11-25-14, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I finished this last night on normal mode. 22 hours (not counting restarts) and 170 deaths. I liked it, the first two chapters not withstanding.

However, as far as the wrap up of the story:

Spoiler:
Nothing was really explained...no backstory on master medical man Ruvik except his sister being killed. Hints of a larger backstory for Kidman (especially at the end when she tell the doctors to leave you connected to the machine) but no info give. Did Joseph survive? There was a conspiracy that got his daughter killed and put his wife in hiding or something....what was the conspiracy? Since she was missing persons bureau I guess she caught wind of Ruvik stealing people to F with their minds? Was she killed? still hiding somewhere? Throughout the game they dropped lots of interesting tidbits and then just left it at that....
Old 11-25-14, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Massive spoilers:

Spoiler:
There's quite a bit of backstory to Ruvik, remember the flashbacks in the mansion?

Lots of theories about what's going on have already been pieced together and are out there if you're interested enough to search.

Essentially, based on what we do see in the game rather than theories, you can gather that Ruvik was a child genius with morbid interests and wealthy parents. The doctor encouraged his work and provided him with specimens for experiments from the mental hospital. The death of his sister in the fire and his resulting physical scars made him even more deranged, and his parents had him committed. He returned, murdered them, and continued the experiments until he was finally successful in creating the brain-linking machine. The doctor betrayed him and had him murdered, but preserved his brain inside the machine. The entire game takes place with the characters being linked to his brain via the machine and thus inside his mind. His goal was to transfer his own consciousness into Leslie since he was compatible. Kidman's organization was trying to prevent that, but we don't know why the other characters are linked in or how they got there.

At the end, you destroy the brain but it appears as though Ruvik's mind was successful in escaping into the real world in Leslie's body. But did that really happen or was Sebastian still linked in and the end wasn't actually reality? We'll probably find out in the inevitable sequel (since the game was surprisingly successful). Hopefully it's a more polished experience.

Also, one of the planned DLCs is about Kidman, so I suspect we'll learn more about her involvement then. Maybe more about Joseph's fate, too.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-25-14, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Massive spoilers:

Spoiler:
There's quite a bit of backstory to Ruvik, remember the flashbacks in the mansion?

Lots of theories about what's going on have already been pieced together and are out there if you're interested enough to search.

Essentially, based on what we do see in the game rather than theories, you can gather that Ruvik was a child genius with morbid interests and wealthy parents. The doctor encouraged his work and provided him with specimens for experiments from the mental hospital. The death of his sister in the fire and his resulting physical scars made him even more deranged, and his parents had him committed. He returned, murdered them, and continued the experiments until he was finally successful in creating the brain-linking machine. The doctor betrayed him and had him murdered, but preserved his brain inside the machine. The entire game takes place with the characters being linked to his brain via the machine and thus inside his mind. His goal was to transfer his own consciousness into Leslie since he was compatible. Kidman's organization was trying to prevent that, but we don't know why the other characters are linked in or how they got there.

At the end, you destroy the brain but it appears as though Ruvik's mind was successful in escaping into the real world in Leslie's body. But did that really happen or was Sebastian still linked in and the end wasn't actually reality? We'll probably find out in the inevitable sequel (since the game was surprisingly successful). Hopefully it's a more polished experience.

Also, one of the planned DLCs is about Kidman, so I suspect we'll learn more about her involvement then. Maybe more about Joseph's fate, too.

Hope that helps.
I didn't even think about DLC for a horror game, that should help with the Kidman stuff. Your explanation did help...apparently I suck at piecing together flashbacks.
Spoiler:
I thought the townsfolk just burned down the barn out of jealousy for the rich folks. They didn't mean to kill the kids since the one guys mentions he heard laughing inside and the other one says "nobody is here". Then, once Ruvik escapes and realizes what happened he goes off and starts his nutso experiments.

Spoiler:
I get that it all took place in Ruvik's mind. Hopefully the DLC will help us see who orchestrated it all in the real world...if Ruvik is just a brain hooked to the machine, and the doctor is inside with you and gets killed....who was it in the real world that actually took people and hooked them to the machine?
The way the game loops back to the beginning I think that the beginning of the first chapter was real, with the investigation at the hospital. At some point in chapter 1 you get knocked out and at that point someone hooks you to Ruvik's machine and from that point on, the game takes place in Ruvik's mind. I guess at the end Joseph and Kidman are still attached? Presumably to be disconnected by the other cops that are now moving into the building?
Old 11-25-14, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
That is why the townsfolk burned down the barn, but the one guy says "I didn't hear anything" in a tone that implies he definitely did hear the kids inside. I'm not sure that's really important to the overall story, though. The flashbacks show that little Ruvik was already doing experiments and being influenced/helped by the doctor before he has the post-fire bandages.

And if you rewatch the opening cutscene when they're on the way to the hospital, they hear the high-pitched noise that makes their heads hurt, which indicates that they are already hooked up to the machine. Interestingly, Kidman does not react to it. I knew something suspicious was up with her the first time I played through the game because of that.
Old 11-25-14, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
That is why the townsfolk burned down the barn, but the one guy says "I didn't hear anything" in a tone that implies he definitely did hear the kids inside. I'm not sure that's really important to the overall story, though. The flashbacks show that little Ruvik was already doing experiments and being influenced/helped by the doctor before he has the post-fire bandages.

And if you rewatch the opening cutscene when they're on the way to the hospital, they hear the high-pitched noise that makes their heads hurt, which indicates that they are already hooked up to the machine. Interestingly, Kidman does not react to it. I knew something suspicious was up with her the first time I played through the game because of that.
Good catch, I didn't even remember the noise at the beginning.

looking around online, the explanation i like best is
Spoiler:
at the very end, you are still hooked to the machine. Your only glimpse of the real world is Kidman telling someone to leave you "and those other two" connected. Once Leslie turns to dust, that is Ruvik inhabiting leslie and heading out. The boss battle and you stomping Ruvik's brain are how Seb wants things to play out but he is stomping an empty brain. The shot of him seeing Leslie walk away and when Leslie "fades out" is Ruvik, in Leslie's body, heading into the real world while you stay stuck in the machine thanks to Kidman.

It is still difficult to tell
Spoiler:
what is up with Kidman so I guess the DLC will help with that. She doesn't want Ruvik to get out, but at the same time she and her group seem to want his research.
Old 12-14-14, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just hit chapter 8. Does this thing ever get any easier? I'm playing on easy and can't seem to keep any ammo or health on me for more than five seconds.
Old 12-14-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember in chapter 6 going on barely any ammo.

I think looking for the statues really helps. The statues have the keys that work in the morgue. The morgue drawers are usually full of a bunch of ammo (or a bunch of green gel).

I also found a decent way to conserve ammo on some of the weaker enemies was to shoot them in the leg once and just set them on fire with a match when they fall. One bullet and a match was much better for me than 4 or 5 bullets each time.
Old 12-14-14, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, fire is a great tool for conserving ammo. Use your matches. You can set fire to enemies/bodies on the ground and any enemies that are touching them at the time will also catch fire and die. I've taken out 3 or 4 enemies with a single match using that method.

Also make sure you're disarming every trap you come into contact with and using the parts to craft crossbow bolts.

I had a lot of issues with this game, but honestly scarcity of ammo was never a problem for me on Normal difficulty.
Old 12-21-14, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PC version is $20.40 at Amazon.

Downloading 50 GB right now

And yes, the PC version can be changed to 60 FPS and you can change the scope, remove the bars. I will try standard first.
Old 12-25-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished the first chapter and thought it was good. Good for the genre of course. Lots of deaths, limited options, you have to follow the script, etc. It took me 40 minutes according to the game.

Started the second chapter and getting hooked in the story. Makes me wonder.
Old 12-25-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3

And yes, the PC version can be changed to 60 FPS and you can change the scope, remove the bars.
Oh man. Add an easier difficulty to all that, and this game would be great!
Old 01-04-15, 12:58 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got this on Black Friday just going off of metacritic scores and now I really wish I had watched the trailers or read this thread. Aside from the issues that have already been discussed here, I absolutely hated the aesthetic of the game. It's got that stupid over the top Saw-style everything and the kitchen sink sort of horror that I've never found scary. With horror, less is more. Don't show me some Leatherface-wannabe cutting up people hung up on butcher hooks in the first chapter. If you need to go for that much overkill, save it for when the player is already invested in the character.

After playing the spartan and genuinely frightening Alien: Isolation, this seems like a parody of survival horror games. Give me even the worst Silent Hill games over this.
Old 01-23-15, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I almost left the game at chapter 10.

Spoiler:

I was Laura's bitch for several days. I think I tried to kill her since last Saturday, 30 minutes sessions almost every day since then, until last night. And yeah, I immediately checked a walkthrough, but still couldn't do it.
I know that you don't have to kill her, you can just run, even trying that was impossible. Last night finally the corridor was open, to reach the elevator, and I start running and my energy is consumed immediately. I was killed trying to get to the elevator.
But I knew I was closer, so I kept trying and 10+ minutes later I was able to run away from her.

Good times.
Old 01-23-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On Akumu mode the boss in that fight moves faster, they added in bear traps all over the place, and of course you die in 1 hit from anything including fire. Fun times!
Old 01-23-15, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I watched some videos. But of course you have the rocket launcher.

And most players had a lot of ammo for all the weapons.
Old 01-23-15, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My brother and I played this around the same time but he was a little bit ahead of me for most of it. So I would occasionally ask him for advice or bitch to him about something if I died a bunch trying to get through something.

Spoiler:
I swear the game glitched at the boss fight with the safehead in the meat locker...I must have run in circles shooting him for about 20 minutes waiting for that elevator door to open. I swear I damaged him enough to trigger the elevator 2 or 3 times over

So when we finally finished, I died 190 times and he only died 72. At first I thought he was just awesome at it but it turns out he was playing on easy the whole time and I had it on normal. I think for sanity's sake I may start playing games on easy mode, haha.
Old 01-24-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts

Is the ending the same on all difficulties?
Old 01-25-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes, just different trophies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.