Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-14, 03:44 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Wait... what?! Evil Within is locked at 2.35:1? I thought only The Order was doing that? Is it that AR for the entirety of the game, or...?

I may have to grab this game early. I was going to wait for a price drop, but... I want/need a true 2.35:1 game.

edit: ARGGG! I just watched a gameplay video. It's awesome that the game is 2.35:1, but the subtitles, button prompts, and checkpoint logos appear to be outside of the 2.35:1 frame. I wonder if they can be moved in the options.

Last edited by Dan; 10-14-14 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-14-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Art
Old 10-14-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Wait... what?! Evil Within is locked at 2.35:1? I thought only The Order was doing that? Is it that AR for the entirety of the game, or...?

I may have to grab this game early. I was going to wait for a price drop, but... I want/need a true 2.35:1 game.

edit: ARGGG! I just watched a gameplay video. It's awesome that the game is 2.35:1, but the subtitles, button prompts, and checkpoint logos appear to be outside of the 2.35:1 frame. I wonder if they can be moved in the options...
Yeah, it's 2.35:1 and the only time I get the prompt is during the cut scenes. It will tell me if I want to skip it to just press the circle. It's fine and non-intrusive.
Old 10-14-14, 03:51 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, it's 2.35:1 and the only time I get the prompt is during the cut scenes. It will tell me if I want to skip it to just press the circle. It's fine and non-intrusive.
Yeah, it doesn't sound terrible, but... Is there an option in the menu to move the buttons/subtitles into the frame? That would be ideal for a CIH 2.35:1 projection setup...
Old 10-14-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
Yeah, it doesn't sound terrible, but... Is there an option in the menu to move the buttons/subtitles into the frame? That would be ideal for a CIH 2.35:1 projection setup...
Ah, that I don't think so. I'm over here playing it on a 55" plasma, so if they went into the image it would be cluttered as hell.
Old 10-14-14, 03:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Understandable. I imagine it makes total sense the way it is by default since 99.9% of people are using a standard 16:9 HDTV screen. I just want the option for nerds like me. The gameplay I saw from The Order had everything in the frame, so I can safely project that game at 2.35:1 (when it's released...) without fear of losing anything in the black bars.

edit: it seems like a lot of the UI elements are within the frame, but only a few (especially subtitles) are inexplicably outside of the frame. Odd.

Last edited by Dan; 10-14-14 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-14-14, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

edit: it seems like a lot of the UI elements are within the frame, but only a few (especially subtitles) are inexplicably outside of the frame. Odd.
Yeah, I just finished playing a bit and was going to mention it.
Old 10-14-14, 06:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I'm real excited about this. I fucking loved RE4 and to relive the controls and scary atmosphere with the action, I think i will pop out Isolation and put this in although can't wait to play Alien...
Old 10-14-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I just scored the last copy at our biggest Best Buy in town. This is selling nicely.
Old 10-14-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Same here, I was surprised to only find a lone copy on the shelf. I didn't expect it to be such a hit.
Old 10-14-14, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The added ten dollar gift card helped me pick up the Best Buy exclusive of Days of Future Past.
Old 10-14-14, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys say that like you know how many copies the stores had.
Old 10-14-14, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My Local BB and WM went through a stack of these today. Just a few left at each though Target had half their copies still.

The PC version unfortunately sounds like a poorly optimized port.
Old 10-14-14, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
You guys say that like you know how many copies the stores had.
A friend of mine works at this particular store and told me that when he got there this afternoon they had quite a few copies. I was able to get the last copy held for me and there were still people showing up asking for a copy when there weren't any left. This was for the PS4 version.
Old 10-15-14, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
My Local BB and WM went through a stack of these today. Just a few left at each though Target had half their copies still.

The PC version unfortunately sounds like a poorly optimized port.
It seems to work fine here on PC. It just has a few locked things (aspect ratio, framerate), but the framerate can be unlocked easily.
Old 10-15-14, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
It seems to work fine here on PC. It just has a few locked things (aspect ratio, framerate), but the framerate can be unlocked easily.
My concern was higher resolutions and framerate. Glad to hear framerate can be changed. I don't really care about the aspect ratio if that is the way it was intended to be played.

I'm not sure why they claimed 4gb of vram to run at 1080p, with 30 fps. Prior to release, I was thinking it was going to be poorly optimized! Reading around today, people actually seem to be reporting systems to use around 1.5 gb of vram at those stock settings. Not to bad. I need to see what it takes to run it at 4K.
Old 10-15-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Nope. 30 fps is intended since it's tied back to the physics. The game wasn't poorly ported, it was just kind of poorly made.

The PS4 and Xbox One versions sound broken.

Additionally, Eurogamer/Digital Foundry summed it up nicely:

If you're alarmed about buying the PC game based on Bethesda's alarmingly high recommended specs, at least we have some good news there. A 4GB graphics card doesn't seem to be required at all for 1080p gameplay, and we've run the game just fine on the mid-range GTX 760, while even the entry-level enthusiast GTX 750 Ti offers console-style frame-rates at 1080p on max settings.
The PC Version more or less sounds like the best version available.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-15-14 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-15-14, 07:54 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on chapter 3 and having a blast between this and Alien.
Old 10-15-14, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm on chapter 3. I'm fighting that chainsaw freak chained up in the barn.
Old 10-15-14, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info Rich. I can't wait to play this!
Old 10-16-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man..this game. I've been looking forward to it for as long as it has been announced, and the environments, atmosphere, and pacing are amazing, but...terrible camera + horrendous controls and aiming + very limited field of vision + poor performance in some areas make for an extremely frustrating experience. I'm in chapter 7 now, playing on Survivor (normal difficulty). One of the bosses I fought last night nearly made me give up on the game completely. There were times when I literally could not see what was happening, and I died plenty of times because of it. Jim Sterling was right in his review when he said this game could have learned something from others made in the past 10 years, because in tight situations it really does feel like one of those frustrating survival horror experiences from a decade or more ago. I'd say this one is worse than the old ones, actually.

Very mixed feelings on this so far.
Old 10-16-14, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
It's awesome that the game is 2.35:1...
No, it's not, it flat out sucks and ruins an otherwise good game. The view feels so restricted. It just doesn't feel right. Feels unrealistic, caged-in, making the player feel disconnected from the game. And the prompts in the black bars, just ugh, but they also reveal that not only is the 2.35 ratio faked, it shows that they did it to improve performance; laziness.

This is my rant against the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Feel free to ignore if it doesn't bother you.

The whole idea of a scope (2.35:1) ratio is that it's supposed to be wider and bigger than a less wide ratio (1.78:1, for example). But on 1.78 televisions, rather than making the image bigger by adding to the sides, like a true cinema screen is supposed to do, the only thing a wider ratio does in this instance, is make the image smaller by lopping off the top and bottom.

Also, in movies, the director along with the cinematographer, create the shots specific to the aspect ratio. A lot of thought is put into how each shot is framed and what is inside the frame. Here, in a videogame, we control the camera, so shot placement is irrelevant and arbitrary. What we end up with is a smaller field of vision, one which we have to keep adjusting the camera for to see properly.

Further, for anyone who says it makes the game more "cinematic", bullocks to that! I'm playing a fucking videogame in my living room. If I wanted something cinematic, I'd go to the fucking cinema. Cinematic is nice for movies, but it gets in the way of immersion, which isn't too necessary for a film, but it is of the utmost importance to a videogame, especially one like Evil Within.
Old 10-16-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, the aspect ratio sucks, plain and simple. It does nothing but restrict your view further. Make sure to tilt the camera down towards the ground when you're exploring around, because otherwise you can completely miss pickups even though they have prompts. I've never felt so boxed in by a game, and it's made even sadder by the fact that the environments are beautiful and you want to get a really good view of them.
Old 10-16-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I always hated it when games would remove the HUD or whatnot to make it seem more real. Dumb.

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to play. The Walking Dead is too much fun. The game, not the show, mind you.
Old 10-16-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
No, it's not, it flat out sucks and ruins an otherwise good game. The view feels so restricted. It just doesn't feel right. Feels unrealistic, caged-in, making the player feel disconnected from the game. And the prompts in the black bars, just ugh, but they also reveal that not only is the 2.35 ratio faked, it shows that they did it to improve performance; laziness.

This is my rant against the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Feel free to ignore if it doesn't bother you.

The whole idea of a scope (2.35:1) ratio is that it's supposed to be wider and bigger than a less wide ratio (1.78:1, for example). But on 1.78 televisions, rather than making the image bigger by adding to the sides, like a true cinema screen is supposed to do, the only thing a wider ratio does in this instance, is make the image smaller by lopping off the top and bottom.

Also, in movies, the director along with the cinematographer, create the shots specific to the aspect ratio. A lot of thought is put into how each shot is framed and what is inside the frame. Here, in a videogame, we control the camera, so shot placement is irrelevant and arbitrary. What we end up with is a smaller field of vision, one which we have to keep adjusting the camera for to see properly.

Further, for anyone who says it makes the game more "cinematic", bullocks to that! I'm playing a fucking videogame in my living room. If I wanted something cinematic, I'd go to the fucking cinema. Cinematic is nice for movies, but it gets in the way of immersion, which isn't too necessary for a film, but it is of the utmost importance to a videogame, especially one like Evil Within.

Are you playing this on a fucking 19" screen or what?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.