Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews
 



Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-14, 03:44 PM   #51
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: More drinks, more fun!
Posts: 14,136
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Wait... what?! Evil Within is locked at 2.35:1? I thought only The Order was doing that? Is it that AR for the entirety of the game, or...?

I may have to grab this game early. I was going to wait for a price drop, but... I want/need a true 2.35:1 game.

edit: ARGGG! I just watched a gameplay video. It's awesome that the game is 2.35:1, but the subtitles, button prompts, and checkpoint logos appear to be outside of the 2.35:1 frame. I wonder if they can be moved in the options.
__________________
"...you've taken a side in an ideological battle, while pretending all the way
that you're simply defending the supposedly neutral value of free speech.
Don't think we don't notice which instances of speech you choose to defend." - Contrapoints

Last edited by Dan; 10-14-14 at 03:50 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 03:48 PM   #52
Music
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manch Vegas, NH
Posts: 7,814
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Art
__________________
XBOX LIVE | PSN | Nintendo Network: Music72
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 03:49 PM   #53
Why So Blu?
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,431
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Wait... what?! Evil Within is locked at 2.35:1? I thought only The Order was doing that? Is it that AR for the entirety of the game, or...?

I may have to grab this game early. I was going to wait for a price drop, but... I want/need a true 2.35:1 game.

edit: ARGGG! I just watched a gameplay video. It's awesome that the game is 2.35:1, but the subtitles, button prompts, and checkpoint logos appear to be outside of the 2.35:1 frame. I wonder if they can be moved in the options...
Yeah, it's 2.35:1 and the only time I get the prompt is during the cut scenes. It will tell me if I want to skip it to just press the circle. It's fine and non-intrusive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 03:51 PM   #54
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: More drinks, more fun!
Posts: 14,136
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Yeah, it's 2.35:1 and the only time I get the prompt is during the cut scenes. It will tell me if I want to skip it to just press the circle. It's fine and non-intrusive.
Yeah, it doesn't sound terrible, but... Is there an option in the menu to move the buttons/subtitles into the frame? That would be ideal for a CIH 2.35:1 projection setup...
__________________
"...you've taken a side in an ideological battle, while pretending all the way
that you're simply defending the supposedly neutral value of free speech.
Don't think we don't notice which instances of speech you choose to defend." - Contrapoints
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 03:54 PM   #55
Why So Blu?
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,431
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Yeah, it doesn't sound terrible, but... Is there an option in the menu to move the buttons/subtitles into the frame? That would be ideal for a CIH 2.35:1 projection setup...
Ah, that I don't think so. I'm over here playing it on a 55" plasma, so if they went into the image it would be cluttered as hell.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 03:57 PM   #56
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: More drinks, more fun!
Posts: 14,136
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Understandable. I imagine it makes total sense the way it is by default since 99.9% of people are using a standard 16:9 HDTV screen. I just want the option for nerds like me. The gameplay I saw from The Order had everything in the frame, so I can safely project that game at 2.35:1 (when it's released...) without fear of losing anything in the black bars.

edit: it seems like a lot of the UI elements are within the frame, but only a few (especially subtitles) are inexplicably outside of the frame. Odd.
__________________
"...you've taken a side in an ideological battle, while pretending all the way
that you're simply defending the supposedly neutral value of free speech.
Don't think we don't notice which instances of speech you choose to defend." - Contrapoints

Last edited by Dan; 10-14-14 at 04:19 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 05:19 PM   #57
Why So Blu?
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,431
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Quote:
edit: it seems like a lot of the UI elements are within the frame, but only a few (especially subtitles) are inexplicably outside of the frame. Odd.
Yeah, I just finished playing a bit and was going to mention it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 06:39 PM   #58
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 32,132
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

I'm real excited about this. I fucking loved RE4 and to relive the controls and scary atmosphere with the action, I think i will pop out Isolation and put this in although can't wait to play Alien...
__________________
"be kind rewind" Movie collection
"Even though I am no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 07:47 PM   #59
dsa_shea
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,123
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

I just scored the last copy at our biggest Best Buy in town. This is selling nicely.
__________________
PSN & XBOX: GatorShea
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 08:53 PM   #60
Maxflier
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,329
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Same here, I was surprised to only find a lone copy on the shelf. I didn't expect it to be such a hit.
__________________
My DVD / HD DVD / Blu-Ray Collection
XBOX Live Gamertag:Maxflier
PSN:Maxflier
3DS Friend Code:1178-1287-2020

My Countdown Counting down to: The first Saturday in May.
197 days 23 hours 8 minutes
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 09:17 PM   #61
dsa_shea
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,123
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

The added ten dollar gift card helped me pick up the Best Buy exclusive of Days of Future Past.
__________________
PSN & XBOX: GatorShea
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 09:20 PM   #62
Liver&Onions
DVD Talk Legend
 
Liver&Onions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oregonzola
Posts: 14,261
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

You guys say that like you know how many copies the stores had.
__________________
Twitter
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 09:43 PM   #63
DthRdrX
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 10,590
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

My Local BB and WM went through a stack of these today. Just a few left at each though Target had half their copies still.

The PC version unfortunately sounds like a poorly optimized port.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 09:49 PM   #64
dsa_shea
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,123
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions View Post
You guys say that like you know how many copies the stores had.
A friend of mine works at this particular store and told me that when he got there this afternoon they had quite a few copies. I was able to get the last copy held for me and there were still people showing up asking for a copy when there weren't any left. This was for the PS4 version.
__________________
PSN & XBOX: GatorShea
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 07:40 AM   #65
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,063
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
My Local BB and WM went through a stack of these today. Just a few left at each though Target had half their copies still.

The PC version unfortunately sounds like a poorly optimized port.
It seems to work fine here on PC. It just has a few locked things (aspect ratio, framerate), but the framerate can be unlocked easily.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 01:32 PM   #66
DthRdrX
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 10,590
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It seems to work fine here on PC. It just has a few locked things (aspect ratio, framerate), but the framerate can be unlocked easily.
My concern was higher resolutions and framerate. Glad to hear framerate can be changed. I don't really care about the aspect ratio if that is the way it was intended to be played.

I'm not sure why they claimed 4gb of vram to run at 1080p, with 30 fps. Prior to release, I was thinking it was going to be poorly optimized! Reading around today, people actually seem to be reporting systems to use around 1.5 gb of vram at those stock settings. Not to bad. I need to see what it takes to run it at 4K.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 01:36 PM   #67
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,063
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Nope. 30 fps is intended since it's tied back to the physics. The game wasn't poorly ported, it was just kind of poorly made.

The PS4 and Xbox One versions sound broken.

Additionally, Eurogamer/Digital Foundry summed it up nicely:

Quote:
If you're alarmed about buying the PC game based on Bethesda's alarmingly high recommended specs, at least we have some good news there. A 4GB graphics card doesn't seem to be required at all for 1080p gameplay, and we've run the game just fine on the mid-range GTX 760, while even the entry-level enthusiast GTX 750 Ti offers console-style frame-rates at 1080p on max settings.
The PC Version more or less sounds like the best version available.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-15-14 at 01:41 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 07:54 PM   #68
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: WPB FL
Posts: 3,531
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

I'm on chapter 3 and having a blast between this and Alien.
__________________
Mr. Big: Names is for tombstones, baby.(Live and let die)
XBL - Goodbyemcool PSN - Swampthing71
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 08:28 PM   #69
Why So Blu?
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,431
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

I'm on chapter 3. I'm fighting that chainsaw freak chained up in the barn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 10:35 PM   #70
DthRdrX
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 10,590
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Thanks for the info Rich. I can't wait to play this!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 01:25 PM   #71
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,479
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Man..this game. I've been looking forward to it for as long as it has been announced, and the environments, atmosphere, and pacing are amazing, but...terrible camera + horrendous controls and aiming + very limited field of vision + poor performance in some areas make for an extremely frustrating experience. I'm in chapter 7 now, playing on Survivor (normal difficulty). One of the bosses I fought last night nearly made me give up on the game completely. There were times when I literally could not see what was happening, and I died plenty of times because of it. Jim Sterling was right in his review when he said this game could have learned something from others made in the past 10 years, because in tight situations it really does feel like one of those frustrating survival horror experiences from a decade or more ago. I'd say this one is worse than the old ones, actually.

Very mixed feelings on this so far.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 01:51 PM   #72
slop101
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 33,903
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
It's awesome that the game is 2.35:1...
No, it's not, it flat out sucks and ruins an otherwise good game. The view feels so restricted. It just doesn't feel right. Feels unrealistic, caged-in, making the player feel disconnected from the game. And the prompts in the black bars, just ugh, but they also reveal that not only is the 2.35 ratio faked, it shows that they did it to improve performance; laziness.

This is my rant against the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Feel free to ignore if it doesn't bother you.

The whole idea of a scope (2.35:1) ratio is that it's supposed to be wider and bigger than a less wide ratio (1.78:1, for example). But on 1.78 televisions, rather than making the image bigger by adding to the sides, like a true cinema screen is supposed to do, the only thing a wider ratio does in this instance, is make the image smaller by lopping off the top and bottom.

Also, in movies, the director along with the cinematographer, create the shots specific to the aspect ratio. A lot of thought is put into how each shot is framed and what is inside the frame. Here, in a videogame, we control the camera, so shot placement is irrelevant and arbitrary. What we end up with is a smaller field of vision, one which we have to keep adjusting the camera for to see properly.

Further, for anyone who says it makes the game more "cinematic", bullocks to that! I'm playing a fucking videogame in my living room. If I wanted something cinematic, I'd go to the fucking cinema. Cinematic is nice for movies, but it gets in the way of immersion, which isn't too necessary for a film, but it is of the utmost importance to a videogame, especially one like Evil Within.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 01:59 PM   #73
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,479
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Yeah, the aspect ratio sucks, plain and simple. It does nothing but restrict your view further. Make sure to tilt the camera down towards the ground when you're exploring around, because otherwise you can completely miss pickups even though they have prompts. I've never felt so boxed in by a game, and it's made even sadder by the fact that the environments are beautiful and you want to get a really good view of them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 02:34 PM   #74
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 28,656
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

I always hated it when games would remove the HUD or whatnot to make it seem more real. Dumb.

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to play. The Walking Dead is too much fun. The game, not the show, mind you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 02:40 PM   #75
Why So Blu?
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,431
Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
No, it's not, it flat out sucks and ruins an otherwise good game. The view feels so restricted. It just doesn't feel right. Feels unrealistic, caged-in, making the player feel disconnected from the game. And the prompts in the black bars, just ugh, but they also reveal that not only is the 2.35 ratio faked, it shows that they did it to improve performance; laziness.

This is my rant against the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Feel free to ignore if it doesn't bother you.

The whole idea of a scope (2.35:1) ratio is that it's supposed to be wider and bigger than a less wide ratio (1.78:1, for example). But on 1.78 televisions, rather than making the image bigger by adding to the sides, like a true cinema screen is supposed to do, the only thing a wider ratio does in this instance, is make the image smaller by lopping off the top and bottom.

Also, in movies, the director along with the cinematographer, create the shots specific to the aspect ratio. A lot of thought is put into how each shot is framed and what is inside the frame. Here, in a videogame, we control the camera, so shot placement is irrelevant and arbitrary. What we end up with is a smaller field of vision, one which we have to keep adjusting the camera for to see properly.

Further, for anyone who says it makes the game more "cinematic", bullocks to that! I'm playing a fucking videogame in my living room. If I wanted something cinematic, I'd go to the fucking cinema. Cinematic is nice for movies, but it gets in the way of immersion, which isn't too necessary for a film, but it is of the utmost importance to a videogame, especially one like Evil Within.

Are you playing this on a fucking 19" screen or what?
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.

...
Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0