Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-16-14, 02:48 PM   #76
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: THE EVIL WITHIN: ...by Shinji Mikami's new studio Tango Gameworks

I'm playing on a 50" screen. Still sucks.
Old 10-16-14, 02:50 PM   #77
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
(rant)
You know... in the case of this game, and what I've seen... I actually agree with you. It seems like they made this choice to use a wider ratio (actually 2.5:1, not 2.35:1, so it's EVEN WIDER than it should have been), but didn't specifically consider most the issues you're talking about. Most importantly, the camera distance. It should be further back for sure, and they should have considered its usefulness in all the chapters.

So yeah... this implementation of a wider ratio SUCKS. There, I said it.

I'm still holding out hope that The Order: 1886 will do it better.

but one thing...
Quote:
The whole idea of a scope (2.35:1) ratio is that it's supposed to be wider and bigger than a less wide ratio (1.78:1, for example). But on 1.78 televisions, rather than making the image bigger by adding to the sides, like a true cinema screen is supposed to do, the only thing a wider ratio does in this instance, is make the image smaller by lopping off the top and bottom.
Still, 2.35:1 movies are "smaller" on your TV screen, even though they're meant to be bigger theatrically. Those of us with 2.35:1 setups can make those movies bigger than their 16:9 counterparts. Same goes for games, IMO.

Ideally, these games that want to have 2.35:1 as the default should be allowed to do so. I respect that choice. But I think it's "only fair" to allow a standard 16:9 mode for those that want it. BUT, the 2.35:1 mode should absolutely have a wider field of view and the 16:9 mode should just have the sides cut off. If 2.35:1 is the developers' preference, then it should have a clear advantage over the narrower version.
Old 10-16-14, 02:51 PM   #78
slop101
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Are you playing this on a fucking 19" screen or what?
50" TV for me as well, and I'm sitting less than 10 feet from the screen. It just feels like I'm looking through a slot in a door, rather than being there, immersed in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

but one thing...

Still, 2.35:1 movies are "smaller" on your TV screen, even though they're meant to be bigger theatrically.
Yeah, but those were developed with the cinema in mind, and are fixed cameras, with constructed framing, not something I'm controlling.
Old 10-16-14, 02:53 PM   #79
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ Again, I think a large part of that is that it's 2.5:1, instead of 2.35:1. And the fact that the camera positioning is terribly used for that type of ratio. The Evil Within gets the implementation all wrong.

And weren't there some 16:9 games in the old 4:3 CRT TV days? Did people complain about those?

Quote:
Yeah, but those were developed with the cinema in mind, and are fixed cameras, with constructed framing, not something I'm controlling.
Yes, you're controlling it, but only within the limited scope provided by the game itself. You can't move the camera ANYWHERE in the game world (unless you use a noclip code or something.) You're fixed to a pre-defined location, and thus, the "framing" is still ultimately controlled by the game itself, not you.

Or something.

Last edited by Dan; 10-16-14 at 03:01 PM..
Old 10-16-14, 03:44 PM   #80
slop101
DVD Talk Hero

Keep in mind, there are games, like Sine Mora, that are in Scope and I'm fine with, because they have a fixed camera, fixed as to what the developers want to show you. It just doesn't work in the same way in games like this.
Old 10-16-14, 04:39 PM   #81
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master

how does this game compare to Resident Evil 4? controls and other wise...
Old 10-16-14, 05:25 PM   #82
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Movement controls are more fluid than RE4, less tank-like. Aiming is more difficult, as your character does not have a steady hand. Camera is more intrusive and causes far more problems, especially when combined with the FOV and aspect ratio.

Otherwise, a lot of the set pieces are very reminiscent of RE4, as are some of the enemies. If RE4 and Saw had a baby with a scoop of Silent Hill on top, it would be this game.
Old 10-16-14, 06:07 PM   #83
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
Movement controls are more fluid than RE4, less tank-like. Aiming is more difficult, as your character does not have a steady hand. Camera is more intrusive and causes far more problems, especially when combined with the FOV and aspect ratio.

Otherwise, a lot of the set pieces are very reminiscent of RE4, as are some of the enemies. If RE4 and Saw had a baby with a scoop of Silent Hill on top, it would be this game.
that...sounds...awesome!

can't wait to play my first game in months...
Old 10-19-14, 01:46 PM   #84
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished the game last night. Overall I'd have to say it's a disappointment. Definitely worth playing if you're a horror fan, because the artistic and level design, as well as the pacing, is pretty amazing. The technical issues and visual choices make it an exercise in frustration, though. When the most persistently tough enemy in a game is the camera, there's a problem.
Old 10-19-14, 01:51 PM   #85
Why So Blu?
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
Finished the game last night. Overall I'd have to say it's a disappointment. Definitely worth playing if you're a horror fan, because the artistic and level design, as well as the pacing, is pretty amazing. The technical issues and visual choices make it an exercise in frustration, though. When the most persistently tough enemy in a game is the camera, there's a problem.
So how many hours, in your estimation, did it take you to beat the game?

You been playing it non-stop since Tuesday?
Old 10-19-14, 02:25 PM   #86
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My in-game clock was just under 19 hours, but of course that doesn't take into account deaths or reloads, of which there were many. I'd say probably 25 hours total.
Old 10-20-14, 08:33 AM   #87
Solid Snake
Banned

Jesus. That bad?
Old 10-20-14, 10:37 AM   #88
BBEANLPHIE

I am in chapter 12 now which is near the end. The camera is an issue, but IMO if you are use to the way RE4 played you should be quick to adjust to this. When things get hectic and you are running away from multiple enemies its sometimes frustrating when you are trying to pick of shots with limited ammo. Maybe this was part of the game design?
Old 10-20-14, 10:44 AM   #89
Why So Blu?
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Jesus. That bad?
No.
Old 10-25-14, 08:14 PM   #90
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

Just started this. I'm liking it, but it should be called the Frustration Within from sneaking around an area for ten minutes then having to do it all over when you get killed because of some BS scripted event.
Old 10-25-14, 08:29 PM   #91
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you think the early stealth sections are full of frustration, you ain't seen nothin' yet.
Old 10-25-14, 09:54 PM   #92
discostu1337
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So let me get this straight? Stealth sections, shitty camera, bad controls? Seems like a typical Japanese developed game...guess I'll pass. I was actually looking forward to trying this out.
Old 10-25-14, 10:49 PM   #93
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu1337 View Post
So let me get this straight? Stealth sections, shitty camera, bad controls? Seems like a typical Japanese developed game...guess I'll pass. I was actually looking forward to trying this out.
Don't pass. It's a great game. You just need patience.

For example, I hated Dark Souls because I kept dying, but once I got into it, I liked it a lot.

Until I died again and wanted to break my controller. But that's beside the point.
Old 10-27-14, 08:22 AM   #94
mewmartigan

So I started this last night after finishing up Shadow of Mordor.

The first chapter is awful and almost made me give up the game entirely. The aspect ratio is not cool, the bars on top and bottom (of a 60" tv) feel confining. The camera control is awkward. I try to run from chainsaw man, turn a corner and all of a sudden I am trying to run straight down a hallway while the camera is pointed at the wall to my left instead of forward.
There was barely any explanation given as to what to do and I think he killed me about 25 times as i performed trail and error. It also took me forever to get past the part where he breaks through a few boxes (to open that doorway) and leave the room you need to get into because he simply wouldn't do it. I would run around, hide in the locker, run around more and he just wouldn't leave the room.

I am about partway through Chapter 2 and aside from a bit of "WTF is going on?" the game is getting better. Chapter 1 was a very poor introduction in my opinion.
Old 10-27-14, 07:46 PM   #95
mewmartigan

I take it back....chapter 2 shows how broken the controls are.

First off, stealth kill does not work. the zombie turns around EVERY SINGLE TIME as I am pressing x and the kill doesn't happen.
Second, the clunky movement makes it very very hard to disable trip wires....get as close as possible and still no "press x to disable". Nudge the analog stick just a tiny bit more and you set off the trap. Dead.
Third, I was standing behind the wall of a building and the zombie saw me out the window....i was not near the window and did not have my lantern on. So the zombies can see through walls which makes stealth impossible.
Fourth, hand to hand combat is very difficult but is your only option because you can't stealth, you can't stealth kill and you have no ammo. Would killing a zombie give you some ammo or matches if you manage it? So far for me, maybe 1 out of 5 times.

I really wanted to like this game, I love survival horror. But being this frustrated at chapters 1 and half of 2 out of 15 chapters? fuck it.

For the record, I enjoyed Dark Souls....that was hard but could be figured out. This is too random...today the zombie will see you through a wall, next time the camera angle will make it impossible to see the bear trap or trip wire. Then when you have no ammo, 4 zombies will get up off the ground and attack because you didn't have matches to kill them. Why no matches? Because sneaking around looking for things instead of booking it to the next checkpoint results in death.

/rant off/

I normally don't rant like this but I am soooo disappointed in this game.
Old 10-27-14, 07:53 PM   #96
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, it's not a very good game. And as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the controls/camera are very poor. The whole experience is so janky and uneven in so many ways.

Having said that, I'd recommend sticking with it for a bit longer. The game does have some high points, and chapter 3 is one of them. There's far less emphasis on stealth after you pass that point. By the time you get to the halfway point of the game it's basically a full-on, guns blazing, 3rd person action shooter with horror elements.

By the way, enemies never drop materials. Only brain goo for upgrades.

I'm currently on my 4th playthrough, doing an Akumu run this time. One-hit kills from everything, far more enemies and traps. Fun!

Spoiler:
I lied. Not fun.
Old 10-28-14, 06:42 AM   #97
mewmartigan

Yeah, i'm sure I will try it again but i need a few days break. It really is crazy frustrating. It's easy to get lost too because a lot of the environments (i.e. all 4 or 5 houses in chapter 2) look the same and I get turned around before I know it.

As for the enemies, I swear I had one drop 3 bullets one time.

I'll give that to Destiny...its an easy game to go back to and play for a while in between other games, haha.
Old 10-28-14, 12:53 PM   #98
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
As for the enemies, I swear I had one drop 3 bullets one time.
Actually, yeah, that can happen...I had a brain fart. It is very rare, though.
Old 10-30-14, 05:38 AM   #99
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 11-09-14, 03:10 AM   #100
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

I got to chapter ten where you fight
Spoiler:
Laura and I tried to kill her. Turns out you need a ton of ammo and luck. So I ran. I must have died 100 times on her stupid one hit kills.

Then I got to chapter eleven where you meet the
Spoiler:
underwater fish things that also kill you in one hit. There's a sequence where you have to jump off a car and time it perfectly to slide under a gate. Otherwise you're fish food. Yeah. After trying this about 27 times, I'm giving up. What a bunch of bullshit. I don't have time for this.

I'm trading this in on Tuesday.
Sponsored Links