Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Xbox One Pre-Release Thread: Upscaled to 1080p! (11/22/2013)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox One Pre-Release Thread: Upscaled to 1080p! (11/22/2013)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-13, 10:08 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,238 Likes on 878 Posts
Re: Xbox One: Thoughts Turn Ironic on November 22nd

My memory isn't THAT great, so that specific point may be... off. I'll find it. I swear I will!
I do know that there are definitely components in a PC where MS has their own drivers and the manufacture also obviously provides different drivers.
In those cases, the MS drivers are usually not as good... but I'm sure they said otherwise with Signature PCs. Still searching...
Old 09-13-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I like Arstechnica, but that article is pretty bad and doesn't provide much of a rebuttal or any worthwhile information at all. Inflammatory journalism.

That said, I can also believe that there might be that 50% gap right now in performance if the driver stuff is true. I trust flashburn enough to take his word for it on this matter. That's not to say I also don't expect Microsoft to improve that considerably, maybe not well enough for launch titles, but down the road I imagine the difference would be fairly negligible to all except 1st party games.

And yeah, Signature PC's didn't mean jack. I thought it was pretty much just no manufacturer bloatware.
Old 09-13-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
A week ago?

Do you mean this "undisclosed developer" from People Can Fly, and how was it "debunked"?

so wait, let me get this straight. in the past, someone posted a blog-type article that shed negative light on the PS4. you shot it down, claiming it wasn't journalism. now we get another, citing "unnamed sources" that sheds positive light on the PS4 (or negative on the Xbox One depending on how you look at it) and this is a good article?

FWIW, I recall reading somewhere that John Carmack said both systems are nearly identical. I'd believe comments from a guy like him far more than "unnamed sources."
Old 09-13-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
My memory isn't THAT great, so that specific point may be... off. I'll find it. I swear I will!
I do know that there are definitely components in a PC where MS has their own drivers and the manufacture also obviously provides different drivers. In those cases, the MS drivers are usually not as good... but I'm sure they said otherwise with Signature PCs. Still searching...
As far as I know, it isn't optimized outside of some minor configuration tweaks. The Microsoft Signature PCs are literally fresh installs of Windows without the bloat and with the most current drivers installed (Microsoft or Vendor)
Old 09-13-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chess only supports sources that validate his purchase.
Old 09-13-13, 10:13 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Article makes claim that Sony/PS4 is superior = gospel and should be believed as absolute fact.
Article makes claim that MS/XB1 is superior or that Sony/PS4 has some shortcoming = obviously biased MS fanboy article that should be dismissed.

Haven't you been following along?
Old 09-13-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Chess only supports sources that validate his purchase.
You have two consoles that are basically identical, one is $399, one is $499. Purchase validated.

I'm more irritated that we haven't seen the same game running on both consoles yet.
Old 09-13-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, don't forget, if anyone at Microsoft says anything, they're lying company line toting jerks. But if a Sony guy says something on Twitter and includes a smiley face you can take that to the bank!
Old 09-13-13, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
You have two consoles that are basically identical, one is $399, one is $499. Purchase validated.

I'm more irritated that we haven't seen the same game running on both consoles yet.
But I want to make sure that the console in port 1 of my HDMI hub is vastly superior to the console in port 2.

I'd like to see ANY game running on either console at this point. Hell, have we seen so much as a screenshot of next gen Madden?
Old 09-13-13, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
Article makes claim that Sony/PS4 is superior = gospel and should be believed as absolute fact.
Article makes claim that MS/XB1 is superior or that Sony/PS4 has some shortcoming = obviously biased MS fanboy article that should be dismissed.

Haven't you been following along?
Find one.
Old 09-13-13, 10:16 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Also, don't forget, if anyone at Microsoft says anything, they're lying company line toting jerks. But if a Sony guy says something on Twitter and includes a smiley face you can take that to the bank!
you got to love warped perspective!
Old 09-13-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts

Fortunately, we'll get the comparisons when both systems are out. Madden/BF4/COD:Ghosts/AC4 will all have side by sides. Then we can see what is what. Until then, speculating on anything, using stupid "anonymous sources" is fucking absurd.
Old 09-13-13, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But I want to make sure that the console in port 1 of my HDMI hub is vastly superior to the console in port 2.

I'd like to see ANY game running on either console at this point. Hell, have we seen so much as a screenshot of next gen Madden?
So plug a Wii U into port 2 and save port 1 and 3 for the One and PS4.

I can't really tell what they're doing either, unless it just isn't much of an upgrade over the current gen? Cock and balls.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-VWVSwEtJQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-13-13, 10:22 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Hell, have we seen so much as a screenshot of next gen Madden?
I have the inside scoop.

Madden on PS4:

Madden on Xbox One:

You be the judge!
Old 09-13-13, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
So plug a Wii U into port 2 and save port 1 and 3 for the One and PS4.
Old 09-13-13, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you make it a rollover comparison please?
Old 09-13-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Madden's sweet leathery sack.

Wait...
Old 09-13-13, 10:29 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
And yeah, Signature PC's didn't mean jack. I thought it was pretty much just no manufacturer bloatware.
It was slightly more than that, but yeah. You're right. That did result in better overall performance though (spoilered for length):
Spoiler:

From winsupersite.com:
(yes, it's WIN super site, but the writer is just as critical of MS as anyone out there. One of the few journalists in the field who backs up his opinion or admits when he was wrong)
Performance. Focus group participants were asked to rate the sleep, resume, and shutdown times of the tested PCs. Because of the lab configuration needs, they were not able to test startup times (since restarting the PCs would have reimaged them), so I tested those on each PC set myself. I also examined the number of running services and processes on the PC sets. From a performance standpoint, over 79 percent of participants preferred the Signature PC configuration, though many noted that the differences were minor. In fact, many people wrote in "no preference" even though that wasn't a choice.

In my own more exhaustive tests, six of the seven Signature PC configurations outperformed the OEM PC configurations handily and the seventh was a virtual tie. Overall, Signature PCs outperformed the stock PC configurations. These PCs also had significantly fewer services running at idle when compared to OEM PCs: An average of 55 for Signature PCs vs. 78 for the OEM PCs. (What's missing, of course, is some ongoing performance monitoring solution that will keep these numbers comparatively low.)

Overall preference. At the end of the test, participants were asked to determine which of the PCs they preferred overall. Here, over 95 percent of participants, or all but two, chose the Signature PC configuration. Participants overwhelmingly preferred the Signature configurations and rated these PCs faster, better, and more enjoyable overall. One tester noted they would pay extra for a Signature configuration. Comments about the OEM configurations ranged from negative to unprintable.

There's no doubt that the tested Signature PCs were preferable, overall, to the OEM configurations. Signature PCs are quicker and easier to set up and use, offer cleaner operating environments, and provide better integration with Microsoft's associated products and technologies. Signature PCs perform, on average, far better than OEM configurations, in the initial set up of the machines and in ongoing, power management-related activities. The initial services load on Signature PCs is also considerably lower than that of OEM PCs, which should have a positive long-term impact on overall performance.

Point is, with what MS did with Signature PCs, they're doing with all of their services, and optimizing that philosophy for Xbox One. Vista was a disaster in terms of performance, and Win 7 and Win 8 have both -reduced- the minimum hardware requirements, based purely on the core software.
That doesn't mean I think Xbox One will perform 50% better than the PS4. That's dumb. But Sony's "optimization" of Android (as one example) doesn't exactly give me warm and fuzzies about actual performance.
Old 09-13-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
so wait, let me get this straight. in the past, someone posted a blog-type article that shed negative light on the PS4. you shot it down, claiming it wasn't journalism.
Assuming we're both talking about the BF4 thing, my beef with that article was that it was "negative" about one console while not comparing it with the other, as if it were either in a vacuum or were competing against monster PCs. I thought, and still think, that it was purposefully inflammatory for the purpose of attention.

FWIW, I recall reading somewhere that John Carmack said both systems are nearly identical. I'd believe comments from a guy like him far more than "unnamed sources."
As do I. Carmack is scary smart, and I hope he's right, because I'd hate for one console to hold the other back on crossplatform games.
Old 09-13-13, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
As do I. Carmack is scary smart, and I hope he's right, because I'd hate for one console to hold the other back on crossplatform games.
Old 09-13-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dan
I do know that there are definitely components in a PC where MS has their own drivers and the manufacture also obviously provides different drivers.
In those cases, the MS drivers are usually not as good... but I'm sure they said otherwise with Signature PCs. Still searching...
I think you are confused about MS Certified drivers. They aren't actually writing them.
Old 09-13-13, 11:04 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Yup. Thanks, flashburn.
Old 09-13-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
That said, I can also believe that there might be that 50% gap right now in performance if the driver stuff is true. I trust flashburn enough to take his word for it on this matter. That's not to say I also don't expect Microsoft to improve that considerably, maybe not well enough for launch titles, but down the road I imagine the difference would be fairly negligible to all except 1st party games.
Hell, I think they'll work out the majority of the issues before launch even, I was just trying to shed some light about WHY they might be seeing such a vast difference in performance.

I'd rather people trusted me less (if that's possible!), else I might get into trouble. It's more fun for me this way anyway.
Old 09-13-13, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
Hell, I think they'll work out the majority of the issues before launch even, I was just trying to shed some light about WHY they might be seeing such a vast difference in performance.

I'd rather people trusted me less (if that's possible!), else I might get into trouble. It's more fun for me this way anyway.
Fucking liar!
Old 09-13-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 122 Likes on 110 Posts

I'm curious as to implementing and upgrading the drivers later on. Since the OS is a kernel version of WIN 8 are these drivers Direct X related? I would think with a mild version of WIN 8 installed as the OS that MS would have some advantage in the driver department...?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.