Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Xbox One Pre-Release Thread: Upscaled to 1080p! (11/22/2013)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox One Pre-Release Thread: Upscaled to 1080p! (11/22/2013)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-13, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts
Re: Xbox One: Thoughts Turn Ironic on November 22nd

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Microsoft does a lot of boneheaded shit, but I seriously doubt that three months after the public reveal of the PS4 they'd present a console that's not at least on par with the specs Sony presented. That would be asinine. Are there differences between the two? Of course. One has advantages over the other and vice versa. Will every game be amazing on PS4 and subpar on Xbox One? Of course not.
Well when you're competition is releasing an empty plastic shell, they can scale back on the specs.
Old 09-13-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Microsoft does a lot of boneheaded shit, but I seriously doubt that three months after the public reveal of the PS4 they'd present a console that's not at least on par with the specs Sony presented. That would be asinine. Are there differences between the two? Of course. One has advantages over the other and vice versa. Will every game be amazing on PS4 and subpar on Xbox One? Of course not.
but seriously, maybe they were counting on that cloud computing more than they let on.

But yeah it could also just be nonsense.
Old 09-13-13, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Music
I guess console graphics drivers are different then PC graphics drivers... weird...
Yes, because a console OS is different than a PC OS.
Old 09-13-13, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deftones
yeah, this all reeks of Sony fanboy crap. basically a smear campaign. no doubt there will be differences in programming the game, but one won't be significantly better than the other.
I really have no reason to be biased (actually, I have good reason for being impartial). I'm just trying to help people understand why the performance difference is so great right now.

The differences in programming when it comes to rendering are completely different on each system. Sony has their own graphics driver, and MS has their's. They are different API's.
Old 09-13-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 50% more powerful rumor was from 1 undisclosed developer and debunked over a week ago. Moving on...
Old 09-13-13, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So do you not believe the specs, or do you not believe that there will be a performance difference? The specs are definitely real (but like that article said, things like the clock speeds aren't locked down yet).

Would you call MS completely throwing out their graphics driver a couple months ago and starting from scratch boneheaded? Of course the differences in the end won't be as huge as that article states (as I already said), but there probably will be cases where doing an A/B comparison shows differences favoring the PS4 in most cases. I think a lot of the cases might be more subtle though, where a game is running at 1920x1080 on PS4 and 1800x900 on Xbox One, or AA/AF settings are different between the two. The sort of things that PC gamers often tweak to get an optimal framerate.
Old 09-13-13, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by discostu1337
The 50% more powerful rumor was from 1 undisclosed developer and debunked over a week ago. Moving on...
It can be ~50% more powerful at certain things. In reality, it might translate to less than 5%, it just depends on what the workloads look like. There are also things that the Xbox One is better at than the PS4 due to the ESRAM.
Old 09-13-13, 08:59 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I love video game gossip articles like the bs article that doesn't name names. Where is the validity in any of it? It's all nonsense. Why would anyone realistic about this stuff post such crap?
Old 09-13-13, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Honestly, I don't give a shit(they'll both be awesome in their own ways), but if you're gonna be that arrogant post a link.
Old 09-13-13, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A week ago?

Do you mean this "undisclosed developer" from People Can Fly, and how was it "debunked"?

Old 09-13-13, 09:44 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,238 Likes on 878 Posts

Pfft. Facts. We don't need 'em!
Old 09-13-13, 09:48 AM

Hearsay is now fact? Those tweets are meaningless.
Old 09-13-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
So do you not believe the specs, or do you not believe that there will be a performance difference? The specs are definitely real (but like that article said, things like the clock speeds aren't locked down yet).
I believe the listed specs for each console. I also believe that there might be performance differences. Furthermore I believe that some developers are liars, some "unnamed sources" are full of shit, and no one has played one final retail release of either product yet.
Old 09-13-13, 09:52 AM

I believe the listed specs for each console. I also believe that there might be performance differences. Furthermore I believe that some developers are liars, some "unnamed sources" are full of shit, and no one has played one final retail release of either product yet.
The fact that they're "unnamed sources" should lead to the conclusion of bs. That's how I take gossip and mudslinging, when people are too gutless to come out front and center.
Old 09-13-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe Madden will look better on the PS4, and then maybe the only way to pass the ball in PS4's version of Madden is to flick the touchscreen touchpad. In that example, who cares which version looks better, because I'm not doing that shit.

There'll be dozens of examples of this, on both sides. Each console will have strengths and weaknesses. If how a game looks is all that mattered, we'd all be buying the new Neo Geo systems this November.
Old 09-13-13, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shit, there's a new Neo Geo system coming out this November?!
Old 09-13-13, 09:56 AM

Maybe Madden will look better on the PS4, and then maybe the only way to pass the ball in PS4's version of Madden is to flick the touchscreen touchpad. In that example, who cares which version looks better, because I'm not doing that shit.

There'll be dozens of examples of this, on both sides. Each console will have strengths and weaknesses. If how a game looks is all that mattered, we'd all be buying the new Neo Geo systems this November.
There are new Neo-Geo systems? Why are we even talking about the PS4 and Xbox One?
Old 09-13-13, 09:57 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,238 Likes on 878 Posts

If Microsoft's Signature PCs* are any indication, then it's pretty safe to assume that they'll be able to optimize the hardware/software/drivers to the best possible potential.
Will it be BETTER than the PS4? No idea. But it'll be comparable, and that's all that these consoles need to be.

*computers built by the usual hardware-makers like Acer, Dell, and even Sony, but with MS-optimized software/drivers, and without crapware and other proprietary software. I read a big article about it once, but can't find it. Signature PCs were compared to their exact equal non-Signature counterparts, and were noticeably smoother-running and performed better overall. They were also about $100 more expensive, because most PCs are subsidized by the crapware-makers.
Old 09-13-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Old 09-13-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The Psychology of a Fanboy

http://lifehacker.com/the-psychology...sam-1300451596

May or may not be applicable here.
Old 09-13-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You should read that article Chess.
Old 09-13-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
Pfft. Facts. We don't need 'em!
/Thread Title.
Old 09-13-13, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You should read that article Chess.
Ditto.
Old 09-13-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dan
If Microsoft's Signature PCs* are any indication, then it's pretty safe to assume that they'll be able to optimize the hardware/software/drivers to the best possible potential.
Will it be BETTER than the PS4? No idea. But it'll be comparable, and that's all that these consoles need to be.

*computers built by the usual hardware-makers like Acer, Dell, and even Sony, but with MS-optimized software/drivers, and without crapware and other proprietary software. I read a big article about it once, but can't find it. Signature PCs were compared to their exact equal non-Signature counterparts, and were noticeably smoother-running and performed better overall. They were also about $100 more expensive, because most PCs are subsidized by the crapware-makers.
I'd love to read such an article. It's the first I've heard of "MS-optimized software/drivers", whatever that supposed to mean. I highly doubt they are writing or optimizing drivers for PC hardware they didn't manufacture.
Old 09-13-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chess
Ditto.
There's a difference between blindly defending a brand out of loyalty and arguing against rumor, speculation, fanboyism and total random horseshit.

And again, I bought both fucking consoles. If the hivemind was saying the Xbox One is pwning the PS4 in GFLOPS and teratransistor processing CPU speed trials I'd say the same things. No one knows shit. When the games come out, they can be compared. That's that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.