Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS Vita / PlayStation TV Thread

Old 01-28-11, 07:19 PM
  #101  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
kurupt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,027
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Wow...I guess I'm in to get a launch unit, given that it's reasonably priced.
kurupt is offline  
Old 01-28-11, 07:53 PM
  #102  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 15,970
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Surely that Wipeout game allows you to control with the analog stick, right?
Drexl is offline  
Old 01-29-11, 08:16 AM
  #103  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,463
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

So which one gets hacked first? 3ds or psp2? I'm going with 3ds
mhg83 is offline  
Old 01-31-11, 09:49 AM
  #104  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Posts: 13,846
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
So which one gets hacked first? 3ds or psp2? I'm going with 3ds
I'd say probably the PSP.

edit to add: I mean it will take the hackers less time to hack the PSP than the 3DS.
orangecrush is offline  
Old 01-31-11, 09:58 AM
  #105  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,398
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

I think the 3DS is already hacked.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 01-31-11, 10:02 AM
  #106  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 2,493
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

The PSP sure is .
Chris_D is offline  
Old 01-31-11, 11:35 AM
  #107  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Shhh, I don't think you're allowed discuss that here

I'm sold on OLED (battery related) and trophy support. This beast is the closest console experience you can get on the go. It will be a blast to play MP in the office after work. No more headsets, just plain old high fives (or jabs/kicks). Best of all? You can rack up trophies and stats!
Ocelot is offline  
Old 01-31-11, 12:06 PM
  #108  
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,155
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Whether you like PA or not, the first two panels here really hit home:

pinata242 is offline  
Old 01-31-11, 05:48 PM
  #109  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,018
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Sigh. Sony is great at industrial design but just sucks at UI design. That new OS looks terrible.
Breakfast with Girls is offline  
Old 02-01-11, 11:20 AM
  #110  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Rumor has it that GS priced the PSP2 at $250-$350. Even at $350, I think it's fair. As for UI design, honestly, I don't even think Sony have any of that, lol. The early PSN was crap, until they fixed it... The character inputs on the PSP is total crap, it's so intimidating... The XMB is not that bad, now with the touch screen, who knows... Well, I'm going to get one, Uncharted by itself is good enough
Ocelot is offline  
Old 02-01-11, 08:29 PM
  #111  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 2,493
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

My prediction is still $399 and I'm sure early adopters will eat it up. It could be possible that the 3G model might be cheaper but only attached to a data plan (5-20 a month?).
Chris_D is offline  
Old 02-01-11, 10:36 PM
  #112  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Why would 3G be cheaper? It's an extra antenna.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 02-01-11, 10:38 PM
  #113  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 2,493
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Why do iPhones cost less than iPod Touches?
Chris_D is offline  
Old 02-02-11, 12:03 AM
  #114  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 1,501
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Originally Posted by Chris_D View Post
Why do iPhones cost less than iPod Touches?
Because they are subsidized by ATT when you sign up for a two year contract. Out of contract iPhones are $600.
SoonerDoc is offline  
Old 02-02-11, 12:27 AM
  #115  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 41,781
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
Because they are subsidized by ATT when you sign up for a two year contract. Out of contract iPhones are $600.
Yeah. That was his point -- that the 3G version might be cheaper if it were subsidised by a subscription fee. But I don't think that will be the case. I think it'll follow the iPad or Kindle model where the wifi version is cheaper than the 3G one.
Decker is offline  
Old 02-02-11, 10:10 AM
  #116  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 1,501
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Yeah. That was his point -- that the 3G version might be cheaper if it were subsidised by a subscription fee. But I don't think that will be the case. I think it'll follow the iPad or Kindle model where the wifi version is cheaper than the 3G one.
The difference is none of the 3G products other than phones hve required a long term contract. AFAIK they have been on a monthly basis or the 3G connection has been free. There is little to no chance the PSP2 will have a monthly fee for 3G that requires a longterm committment.

Because of this, I agree that the 3G will almost certainly cost more than wifi alone.
SoonerDoc is offline  
Old 02-02-11, 10:14 AM
  #117  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,018
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
As for UI design, honestly, I don't even think Sony have any of that, lol. The early PSN was crap, until they fixed it...
XMB is still crap, unfortunately. Xbox looks and functions better, although there's definitely room for improvement. Funny how slick NXE (Xbox) and Metro (Windows Phone) are considering Windows. Although it is improving, slowly.
Breakfast with Girls is offline  
Old 02-02-11, 03:18 PM
  #118  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 2,493
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
The difference is none of the 3G products other than phones hve required a long term contract. AFAIK they have been on a monthly basis or the 3G connection has been free. There is little to no chance the PSP2 will have a monthly fee for 3G that requires a longterm committment.

Because of this, I agree that the 3G will almost certainly cost more than wifi alone.
There are already rumours that there will be contracts in Japan. Of course, it might be more unusual in the US but this is the first 3G dedicated gaming portable so who knows what Sony will do?
Chris_D is offline  
Old 02-02-11, 04:10 PM
  #119  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,511
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Meh, it was awhile after the 3DS was announced that an official price was released. So no price on the PSP2 doesn't mean jack to me at the moment...
Anubis2005X is offline  
Old 02-02-11, 08:42 PM
  #120  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 1,501
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Originally Posted by Chris_D View Post
There are already rumours that there will be contracts in Japan. Of course, it might be more unusual in the US but this is the first 3G dedicated gaming portable so who knows what Sony will do?
Not saying that won't happen here, but I would be stunned if it did.
SoonerDoc is offline  
Old 02-10-11, 06:24 PM
  #121  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,103
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

So maybe I just missed the memo, but am I the only one surprised by the existence of a separate, Android powered portable playstation from Sony in that Superbowl commercial (the Xperia Play)? I guess that's why they're putting PS games on mobile devices? It doesn't make much sense to me, seeing as how any games built for that device would be pretty useless on other devices, and that they're coming out with their PSP2 shortly anyway?
fujishig is offline  
Old 02-11-11, 03:53 AM
  #122  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 2,493
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

I imagine that other compatible Android phones will have on screen virtual d-pads and the like. Hardly ideal but some people don't seem to mind it.
Chris_D is offline  
Old 02-14-11, 02:35 PM
  #123  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
So maybe I just missed the memo, but am I the only one surprised by the existence of a separate, Android powered portable playstation from Sony in that Superbowl commercial (the Xperia Play)? I guess that's why they're putting PS games on mobile devices? It doesn't make much sense to me, seeing as how any games built for that device would be pretty useless on other devices, and that they're coming out with their PSP2 shortly anyway?
Yeah, I feel the same... I don't see the point of Xperia other than trying to confuse people with the PSP2.
Ocelot is offline  
Old 06-01-11, 03:11 PM
  #124  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 41,781
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as E3 is close. Looks like the new device will likely take the name "PS Vita" which sort of sounds like an operating system, but I guess is at least better than NGP. Hopefully, L&O can edit the thread title once the name change is official.
Decker is offline  
Old 06-01-11, 03:28 PM
  #125  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,511
Re: Official PSP2 Thread

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Thought I'd resurrect this thread as E3 is close. Looks like the new device will likely take the name "PS Vita" which sort of sounds like an operating system, but I guess is at least better than NGP. Hopefully, L&O can edit the thread title once the name change is official.
So, i'm retarded, humor me. Would that be pronounced Veeta, Vitta, Vihta?
Anubis2005X is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.