Reload this Page >

Official Kinect Discussion Thread: Look Ma! No games! Part I

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Kinect Discussion Thread: Look Ma! No games! Part I

Old 12-29-10, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Official Kinect Discussion Thread: Look Ma! No Controllers! Part I

Originally Posted by jiggawhat View Post
I find the Blazer step and the windup to be the harder ones to ace. I had a problem with the jazz step but then I figured out that I wasn't moving my arms. Duh! Now I'm good with that. The blazer step though is irritating that i can't get it right.
The opening Blazer step on Poker Face is even more annoying because it is not on the beat! GRRR!!!
Old 12-29-10, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I play Dance Central almost every day. Ive also began kinda/sorta dieting too. Ive lost about 5 pounds in past 3 weeks Ive had the Kinect. Will be picking up Your Shape game with the Target coupon. So far I am very impressed with Kinect. What is even cooler is that I know how basic these first batch of games are so the best is yet to come!
Old 12-29-10, 11:14 AM

Quick Kinect question: When I turn on my 360 and the dashboard loads, the Kinect sensor loads in the bottom right hand portion of the screen. When it finishes, I'm left with a black and white fuzzy image. Is this they way it's supposed to look? Everything else works fine, all the games, the Kinect Chat application, etc...
Old 12-29-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah. That's what the Kinect is seeing. It's more of a guide for you to make sure you're in a good position. Ad you move your hand, you'll see it light on that screen as it recognizes the movement.
Old 12-29-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love love Kinect Sports. I'm still surprised why they wouldn't pack that game in with Kinect. I believe they could have easily sold 5 million of the Kinect sensors had they packed that game in.
Old 12-29-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jiggawhat View Post
I love love Kinect Sports. I'm still surprised why they wouldn't pack that game in with Kinect. I believe they could have easily sold 5 million of the Kinect sensors had they packed that game in.
I think they already hit 5M. And would Adventures have sold as well as Sports? You pack in the weakest one, right? Or the one that is less like the Wii
Old 12-29-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
I think they already hit 5M. And would Adventures have sold as well as Sports? You pack in the weakest one, right? Or the one that is less like the Wii
I think they are going to barely make 5 million or be very close.

Wii Sports was a perfect pack in game for the Wii. People still play it til this day. Kinect Adventures is pretty blah for me. I haven't played it since but I can understand why they might have packed it in because it has a bit more variety but I wouldn't say it's a better game.

I think it could have reached 7 to 8 million had they packed the Sports game.

If you're trying to go for the Wii demo might as well pack in a similar game to what the Wii did.

IMO, they f'd up.
Old 12-29-10, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you have to run Kinect ID in order to have it recognize players to match to profiles or is there a way to manually select the profile of the player?

My 3 year old is a little too young I think for this as I can't get her to do all of the steps during the ID process. We both were getting frustrated after many attempts. I tried "hiding" behind her and moving her legs and arms into the prompted positions but the Kinect kept seeing me. Then, I stood out of view barking commands to her (move up, move back, take 1 step towards the couch, etc) but by the time she got into that position it was giving her a new position to go to. Oh well, at least my 4.5 year old was able to do it on her second try.
Old 12-29-10, 09:43 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What kind of floor space is needed for the Kinect to pick up your movements? Seems like I read somewhere it was 15'. I wouldn't have that kind of room
Old 12-29-10, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm usually not more than 6 or 7 feet from it and it finds me just fine. I can't imagine anyone having a spare 15 feet of room to run a Kinect setup.
Old 12-30-10, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DAC View Post
What kind of floor space is needed for the Kinect to pick up your movements? Seems like I read somewhere it was 15'. I wouldn't have that kind of room
Doable with 6 feet. Better with 8-9 feet.
Old 12-30-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Yeah. That's what the Kinect is seeing. It's more of a guide for you to make sure you're in a good position. Ad you move your hand, you'll see it light on that screen as it recognizes the movement.
So what are your initial impressions now that you have this thing in your house?
Old 12-30-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
So what are your initial impressions now that you have this thing in your house?
Personally, I don't like it. I might feel different if I got Kinect Sports, but I'm refusing to pay full price for that game.

I'm not a dancer, never enjoyed dancing. So no matter how great Dance Central might be, it's not for me. My wife on the other hand loves it and is playing it in the living room right now (probably signed in as me again).
Kinect Adventures did nothing for me. It's not terrible, but the novelty wore off after a couple of minutes as the frustration set in that I can't control this as well as I could with a controller.

Kinectimals is certainly cute, but not that much fun. My kids didn't like it as much as they did EyePet, but that might have something to do with getting EyePet first. My daughter seemed frustrated by the mini games moreso than she did in EyePet.
The demos for Joyride are both god-awful. What a stinker of a game (apparently).

My previous opinion that Kinect is cool technology but not that wonderful as a tool for actual gaming stands for now. The Move might just be a glorified, more sensitive, HD WII, but at least it works and sometimes works well. If I had my druthers, I'd return the Kinect, but my wife just loves Dance Central so much that there's no way I can do that. Maybe the kids might come around on it, but for now they'd rather play Just Dance 2 instead (which is much easier to cheat with and fake your way through).
Old 12-30-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Personally, I don't like it. I might feel different if I got Kinect Sports, but I'm refusing to pay full price for that game.

I'm not a dancer, never enjoyed dancing. So no matter how great Dance Central might be, it's not for me. My wife on the other hand loves it and is playing it in the living room right now (probably signed in as me again).
Kinect Adventures did nothing for me. It's not terrible, but the novelty wore off after a couple of minutes as the frustration set in that I can't control this as well as I could with a controller.

Kinectimals is certainly cute, but not that much fun. My kids didn't like it as much as they did EyePet, but that might have something to do with getting EyePet first. My daughter seemed frustrated by the mini games moreso than she did in EyePet.
The demos for Joyride are both god-awful. What a stinker of a game (apparently).

My previous opinion that Kinect is cool technology but not that wonderful as a tool for actual gaming stands for now. The Move might just be a glorified, more sensitive, HD WII, but at least it works and sometimes works well. If I had my druthers, I'd return the Kinect, but my wife just loves Dance Central so much that there's no way I can do that. Maybe the kids might come around on it, but for now they'd rather play Just Dance 2 instead (which is much easier to cheat with and fake your way through).
I had the same feelings as you did with Kinect Adventures. I think it's horrible. It's fun for a few minutes but is really a lame game. Kinect Sports, on the other hand, is what sold me on Kinect. That and Dance Central.

I guarantee that you will love Kinect Sports. It's just a far better game and has so much variety. There are a lot of great minigames that can keep you entertained for hours well depending on your fitness level of course. You'll definitely be sweating after playing a bit.

Although, I am interested in what else they can bring to the table aside from Sports/Fitness genre.
Old 12-30-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a little surprised at the hate for Kinect Adventures. Anyone going into that game expecting more than a tech demo won't be surprised which is why I guess it doesn't bother me. My kid and I enjoy it for what it is. All of the different mini-games keep my 6 year old interested and even I have spent some extended time with it and didn't hate it. Is it something I want to play all the time? No. But I felt the same way about Wii Sports. Wii Sports was good for what it was, a tech demo but nothing really substantial or something you want to visit over and over. I don't remember seeing that much bitching over it.

And Kinect Adventures is a pretty good way to get your heart rate up if you want to be active without actually doing a whole lot. I was sweating pretty good by the time I had played an hour on it and I'm in pretty good shape.
Old 12-30-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, Kinect Adventures isn't horrible. It's a pack in. It's meant to give you an idea of what the device can do, and what your appetite for more. I actually kinda like the river rafting and rallyball games, and don't mind bubbles and water tank.

Watch your email: just got an email from Xbox with subject: "Get More Your Shape Fitness Evolved", and in the email was a code for 160 MS Points.
Old 12-30-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dtcarson View Post
Watch your email: just got an email from Xbox with subject: "Get More Your Shape Fitness Evolved", and in the email was a code for 160 MS Points.
I got that email, but no code
Old 12-30-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone here purchased the Your Shape DLC extra workouts or have read any reviews on them? My wife is going to start on it this weekend and I was just curious if they are worth the points. The bundle seems like a good discount but are they worth it in the first place? And what the fuck is a "bollywood" workout?
Old 12-31-10, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd View Post
I'm a little surprised at the hate for Kinect Adventures. Anyone going into that game expecting more than a tech demo won't be surprised which is why I guess it doesn't bother me. My kid and I enjoy it for what it is. All of the different mini-games keep my 6 year old interested and even I have spent some extended time with it and didn't hate it. Is it something I want to play all the time? No. But I felt the same way about Wii Sports. Wii Sports was good for what it was, a tech demo but nothing really substantial or something you want to visit over and over. I don't remember seeing that much bitching over it.

And Kinect Adventures is a pretty good way to get your heart rate up if you want to be active without actually doing a whole lot. I was sweating pretty good by the time I had played an hour on it and I'm in pretty good shape.
I just didnt enjoy it as much as kinect sports. I believe it would have been a much better pack in. Wii Sports was far better pack in because of bowling and tennis. I played those for months cant say the same about kinect adventures. Do you think you'll play it for that long?
Old 12-31-10, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If anyone is looking for a cheaper alternative for a Kinect TV mount from the officially released one, the official PS3 Eye Camera Mount works very well as long as you use velcro or double sided tape to attach the Kinect to the top of the mount. The PS3 mount costs around $15 vs $39 for the Kinect mount.
Old 12-31-10, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gooter View Post
If anyone is looking for a cheaper alternative for a Kinect TV mount from the officially released one, the official PS3 Eye Camera Mount works very well as long as you use velcro or double sided tape to attach the Kinect to the top of the mount. The PS3 mount costs around $15 vs $39 for the Kinect mount.
Or you could go to Target and buy a shelf to mount on the wall from $5-$10 depending on how big a shelf you want. I went that route and it works great.
Old 12-31-10, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Kinect Adventure wasn't a horrible "tech demo" disc but it really had no substance to speak of. The novelty of it wore off after about 5 minutes or so. Dance Central is an impressive tech demo, but if you aren't into dancing you aren't going to enjoy it.

I do agree that I would have greatly appreciated if MS included Kinect Sports but I don't blame them for taking the low road and including a tech demo instead of an actual game.

I'm still happy with mine since DC, Kinect Sports and Your Shape get a ton of play, but they really need to get on the ball and up the planned releases.
Old 12-31-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amazon now has Your Shape Fitness Evolved for $33.99, which is good for me because I haven't been able to make it to Target this week and that price amounts to the same thing as Target's current $39.99 price - $10 coupon + my state's sales tax.
Old 12-31-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks! I just ordered one.
Old 01-01-11, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Any thoughts on Your Shape? I was considering picking it up today while I can get it for 29.99 at Target. Is it a good, interesting work out? Does it track accurately?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.