Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Kinect Discussion Thread: Look Ma! No games! Part I

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-11, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,040 Likes on 824 Posts
Re: Official Kinect Discussion Thread: Look Ma! No Controllers! Part I

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Microsoft must be doing something right. My wife just told me she wants to get a Kinect. Am I crazy for wanting to talk my wife out of buying a gaming peripheral?
*shrug* if she winds up with it, just be ready for lots of...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Kd5PwZERMe0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They seem to be advertising this thing a lot during daytime TV.
Old 02-24-11, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2
They seem to be advertising this thing a lot during daytime TV.

Kind of sexist to make an assumption that she sits around watching daytime TV isn't it?
Old 02-24-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,040 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Kind of sexist to make an assumption that she sits around watching daytime TV isn't it?
No, I'm actually watching TV right now. And its literally been advertised 3 of the last 4 commercial breaks.
Old 02-24-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
No, I'm actually watching TV right now. And its literally been advertised 3 of the last 4 commercial breaks.
Old 02-24-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,191 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Microsoft must be doing something right. My wife just told me she wants to get a Kinect. Am I crazy for wanting to talk my wife out of buying a gaming peripheral?
Why the hell would you want to talk her out of it? If she's good-looking you get to sit and watch her dance. If she's a fattie, she might lose a little weight while you get to watch her dance. Win, win.

Watching women dance is a male pastime that goes back since the dawn of time. I wish I could get my wife to play more often and in less clothing. I just need to get a pole installed in my basement and then I will be set. But my opinion may be skewed because my wife is hot.
Old 02-24-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
But my opinion may be skewed because my wife is hot.
And you make 7 figures, and you're packin' 11, etc, etc.
Old 02-24-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

6 and 9 1/2, thank you very much.
Old 02-24-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But my opinion may be skewed because my wife is hot.
And extremely lucky going by your post.
Old 02-24-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jeez, a guy can't be proud of his wife's looks? Tough crowd.
Old 02-24-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can be - but from one internet videogame board posting geek to another, no one believes you.
Old 02-24-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 935 Likes on 660 Posts

Nope, his wife is hot. I've seen her dance.
Old 02-24-11, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Old 02-24-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thoroughly annoyed by playing against random people with a Kinect. They all seem to have the mic turned on for chat and don't realize it. Whether it's background chatter, an adjacent tv, music, or just the xbox volume on their end coming through my speakers - it's annoying as fuck.

I end up manually muting almost everyone because of it. It's a change for me because I enjoy the social aspect of chatting with people not on my friends list so I've never had to resort to that privacy setting before.

The worst part is that I'm sure none of them know it's happening. I would love to complain to Microsoft and suggest a forced dialog in the next dashboard update that says "Hey, we notice you have a Kinect connected AND you have this setting enabled. Did you know that people hate you because of it? Would you like to disable it now?", but I know it would do no good.
Old 02-24-11, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
I'm thoroughly annoyed by playing against random people with a Kinect. They all seem to have the mic turned on for chat and don't realize it. Whether it's background chatter, an adjacent tv, music, or just the xbox volume on their end coming through my speakers - it's annoying as fuck.

I end up manually muting almost everyone because of it. It's a change for me because I enjoy the social aspect of chatting with people not on my friends list so I've never had to resort to that privacy setting before.

The worst part is that I'm sure none of them know it's happening. I would love to complain to Microsoft and suggest a forced dialog in the next dashboard update that says "Hey, we notice you have a Kinect connected AND you have this setting enabled. Did you know that people hate you because of it? Would you like to disable it now?", but I know it would do no good.

What's awesome is that I initially had mine off when i first hooked up the kinect, then there was some system update which reverted to defaults it seems. I realized early when playing YDKJ that it was on, so I had to back out and turn it back off.
Old 02-24-11, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where is the setting to turn it off?
Old 02-24-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Where is the setting to turn it off?
Hidden under Settings->Kinect Settings
Old 02-24-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hidden under Settings->Kinect Settings
Damn elusive that.

I know when I originally set up Kinect I had it turned off. Liver had me worried about an update turning it back.
Old 02-24-11, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Damn elusive that.

I know when I originally set up Kinect I had it turned off. Liver had me worried about an update turning it back.
Ha! Was I right? I doubt it
Old 02-24-11, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,433 Likes on 4,400 Posts

What setting can we instruct brianluvdvd to use so that he'll unwittingly leave his Kinect in constant Video Chat mode, allowing us all to spy on his hot wife?
Old 02-24-11, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...lks-like-you/1

Scientists from Microsoft Labs have developed an early prototype of an Xbox gaming avatar that you can quickly customize to look like you, sound like you -- even laugh, sneer or scowl like you.

In this exclusive USA TODAY video, Microsoft Chief Research and Strategy Officer Craig Mundie describes this skunk works technology:

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=801122795001&playerID=102195605001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAABvaL8JE~,ufBHq_I6Fnyou4pHiM9gbgVQA16tDSWm&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

Mundie's notion that this personally customizable, floating-head avatar takes us down the path to development of a full-body avatar is not too hard to imagine. Think of strolling through the holodeck on the Starship Enterprise, or soaring across vast canyons on the mining planet Panador [sic], the setting of Avatar, the blockbuster movie.

Someday soon you might be able to conjure up a gaming avatar that looks and speaks like you to play Xbox Live games. It's one more small step down the path to immersive virtual-reality experiences.

Microsoft has always committed a large part of its resources to research, some of it aimed at "pushing the frontiers of human knowledge," as Peter Lee, new managing director of Microsoft Labs, Redmond, likes to say.

Yet there is an elevated buzz at Microsoft Labs these days about the not-so-lofty challenge of making computing devices more useful and user- friendly. Interestingly, it appears to be the hot-selling, $149 Kinect Xbox gaming controller that has gotten some of the really smart guys from Redmond really revved up.

Each Kinect contains a high-resolution RGB video camera, a depth-sensor and a sophisticated microphone array. In less than four months, some 10 million Kinect units have been sold and found their way into homes around the world.

Kinect's commercial success has opened vast new research horizons. Microsoft scientists in Oxford, England, for instance, are working on software that will let you use Kinect's video camera and depth sensors to create minutely detailed 3-D images of the interior spaces in your home, including guests sitting on your couch, as long as they sit still.

Someday you might be able to use your Kinect controller to virtually try out new furniture or color schemes in a detailed digital replication of your home's interior displayed on your HDTV. And you won't have to master a cad-cam engineering design program, says Mundie.

Researchers are being encouraged to think of Kinect as a primary motion- and voice-activated controller for the computerized home of the not-too-distant future.

For starters, Kinect already lets users log onto Xbox Live games and entertainment services just by standing still for a few moments in front of the unit. Its cameras feed sensor data into facial-recognition software. Meanwhile, the mic array feeds data to voice recognition software. Here's something many Kinect owners may not realize: You can use voice commands to play and pause movies routed to your TV by the Xbox Live service.

"Natural interaction with computers is most important going forward," says Mundie. "Kinect demonstrates that it's possible -- and appealing."
Old 02-24-11, 09:26 PM

Yeah, can't wait to play with that feature on the Kinect I'll have installed in my flying car on the moon.
Old 02-24-11, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, can't wait to play with that feature on the Kinect I'll have installed in my flying car on the moon.
It'll be patched into Full House Poker next season.
Old 02-25-11, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Why the hell would you want to talk her out of it? If she's good-looking you get to sit and watch her dance. If she's a fattie, she might lose a little weight while you get to watch her dance. Win, win.

Watching women dance is a male pastime that goes back since the dawn of time. I wish I could get my wife to play more often and in less clothing. I just need to get a pole installed in my basement and then I will be set. But my opinion may be skewed because my wife is hot.
My wife is defiantly hotter than I am. But, I would rather drop $150 on games or put it towards a receiver than the Kinect and it's $50 games. Besides, we have 3 young kids and don't have time to waste on stupid stuff like dancing seductively. When we want to have sex, we strip down right away.
Old 02-25-11, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

See, now that sounds like someone that's married.
Old 02-25-11, 09:14 AM

It'll be patched into Full House Poker next season.
Uh-huh. Next season of Two And A Half Men, maybe.

Despite what that article says, you still can't even control Netflix steaming with the Kinect yet, can you?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.