Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Kinect Discussion Thread: Look Ma! No games! Part I

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Official Kinect Discussion Thread: Look Ma! No Controllers! Part I

Originally Posted by Draven
I've heard good things about Kinect Sports. I'll pick that up instead. And considering we're all freezing to death in Minnesota, probably good for the kids to have some kind of exercise
My daughter will play the thing to death. Honestly she exhausts me just watching her. Running in place, throwing an insane flurry of "punches" in boxing, etc.

Say what you will about the games being simple, just mini-game collections, or whatever - but seeing how active the kids are playing these versus sitting on a DS makes me not mind her playing as many games.

Also of note - she had a friend from the first grade come over to play at our house. Her friend had never played a video game. I turned on Kinect and let them both at it. In easily under 10 minutes my daughter had explained it to her friend and they both were managing menus, selecting games, and played for 45 minutes straight. There is no way at all someone with no video game experience could have learned to manage a 360 controller and successfully gamed for that amount of time. I'm really impressed with the Kinect hardware for familes. The gamer in me wants more precision for some other games but the father marvels at how perfect it is for our den.
Old 01-24-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,434 Likes on 4,401 Posts

Funny, I think navigating menus is AWFUL on the Kinect. It's really picky and sometimes I think it's tracking my hand and giving me the right selection and then suddenly it moves onto a different one and picks that. It annoys the hell out of me sometimes.
Old 01-24-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Funny, I think navigating menus is AWFUL on the Kinect. It's really picky and sometimes I think it's tracking my hand and giving me the right selection and then suddenly it moves onto a different one and picks that. It annoys the hell out of me sometimes.
Oh I also prefer using a controller for menus due to precision issues. The kids though flipped out about being able to do everything with hand waves. My parents, who are not gamers outside of Wii bowling, were the same way. The 360 controller is intimidating to them.
Old 01-24-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 394 Likes on 318 Posts

You need to be an 8 year old girl then. My daughter loves the Kinect too. She can play Kinect Sports for hours on end. The party games are her favorite.
Old 01-24-11, 12:05 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The Kinect has a hard time registering my six-year old for menu navigation. I've tried moving the camera up and back, hopefully it'll pick him up better.
Old 01-24-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
The Kinect has a hard time registering my six-year old for menu navigation. I've tried moving the camera up and back, hopefully it'll pick him up better.
My daughter is a little shorter than my son. I originally put the camera on top of my center channel, which is below my screen. It had some problems seeing her, so I moved it in front of the center channel, so it's about 2 feet or so off the floor and it seems to work now.

Last edited by Draven; 01-24-11 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-24-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,613 Posts

My 2 year old daughter loves it... granted, she can't do much with it, but she loves seeing her dad flail around like an idiot, and especially loves being carried while her dad is playing minigames... though the left hand animations do get weird.

The downside is that yesterday was the first time I played it this year, mainly because I had to clear the living room in order to get it to work.
Old 01-24-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 394 Likes on 318 Posts

I placed my camera on top of my center speaker which is above my projector screen. No issues now... when it was on our table, it used to have a hard time detecting our legs and it showed up sorting of kneeling or legless.
Old 01-24-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Hmmm...I wonder if pointing it from the top of the screen would work even better. I did have to get a relatively cheap USB extender for it (my AV cabinet is at the back of the room) and I might not have the cabling for the move.
Old 01-24-11, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with DC is that it's really picky. It's hard to have a good time when you're constantly being chastised for making the wrong move. Even the Easy mode is anything but, at least for the non-dancers. Not having a better representation of you and what you need to do to correct your mistakes makes it that much harder. I sort of loathe the game, but my wife plays it daily almost.
There are definitely some moves that are difficult to pull off it's just a matter of going through break it down enough times. I thought i would never be able pull off some moves but then i just noticed some are just a little nuanced and theres one little thing that you dont do right that throws it off. I still have a problem getting that lunge move down.

I think in terms of variety kinect sports is better but dance central makes me want to keep going and going until i get it right. One thing i hate about kinect sports: menu navigation. They could easily simplify what they have so far.
Old 01-27-11, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I finally finished my "Nice and Easy" beginner intro workout sessions on Your Shape. I haven't explored too deep but is there another workout/routine that acts like NandE, that is, keeps track of how often you do it etc? Or do you just browse around and pick a routine/activity you want to do? I know the calories burned in each of the three activity types are tracked separately, but I liked the feeling of progress that the 'one session to go' of Nice and Easy gave. Plus I liked seeing how the same routine got slightly easier day by day.
Old 02-03-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,192 Likes on 729 Posts

Interesting looking new game coming for Kinect called Gunstringer.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5fQYMLMziss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1146934p1.html

Gunstringer: Kinect's Western Shooter
The developer of 'Splosion Man is pulling our strings.
February 1, 2011 February 1, 2011 February 1, 2011
Share214
User icon for daemon-IGNLevel 6
by Daemon Hatfield

What is Gunstringer?
Gunstringer is a Kinect game from Twisted Pixel, developer of 'Splosion Man and Comic Jumper. It looks quite different than the other Kinect games we've seen so far.

The Gunstringer
What type of game is it?
It's a cross between a platformer and a shooter starring a skeleton cowboy that you puppeteer with your hands. There appears to be a lot of on-rails shooting sequences. Expect some similarities to Rez. The action on screen is supposed to be a puppet show, complete with an audience cheering you on. Twisted Pixel says there are no mini-games or "forced gestures."

Can I play The Gunstringer sitting down?
Yep.

What's the story?
Somebody did The Gunstringer wrong, and he's gonna make 'em pay. It's a Western revenge story inspired by "A Fistful of Dollars."

How do the Kinect controls work?
Based on the trailer, we know that you'll be holding your hands out in front of you as if you were controlling a marionette. Looks like you'll also be mimicking actions like spinning your revolver. It's unclear at this time how shooting is handled, although Twisted Pixel says the aiming will be more precise than any Kinect launch title.

Will Gunstringer be a retail or downloadable game?
Twisted Pixel isn't revealing this, yet. All of the developer's previous releases have been downloadable from Xbox Live Arcade. We know there are multiple downloadable Kinect games in the works from various developers, but so far Kinect software is only available at retail.

Is there multiplayer?
Looks like there is a cooperative mode where two players shoot at enemies in on-rails sequences.

When's it coming out?
Twisted Pixel hasn't announced a release date for Gunstringer, yet.
Old 02-03-11, 04:01 PM

Earlier I was asked what I meant by a "core game" that has Kinect support. Sounds like Gunstringer is the first example of that.
Old 02-03-11, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The real question is if this is going to be an XBLA game (like all of Twisted Pixel's previous offerings) or a retail disc.
Old 02-03-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the real question was is it going to be fun to play, rather than fun to watch like TPs previous release.
Old 02-03-11, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,040 Likes on 824 Posts

Splosion Man is still one of the most fun to play games on XBLA
Old 02-03-11, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Splosion Man is still one of the most fun to play games on XBLA
which is why i said previous release. Singlular.
Old 02-03-11, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,040 Likes on 824 Posts

I saw plural, stupid Synesthesia coloring is failing me, everything looks black (and Nova is on in the background, good times.)
Old 02-03-11, 05:12 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I thought the Maw was well-received (I never played it, so I can't judge)?

Speaking of Splosion Man, I'm probably the last person in the world to hear about this, but there's a sequel -- Ms. Splosion Man -- coming in late 2011.
Old 02-03-11, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SINGULAR. As in Comic Jumper was poo. Comic Jumper.
Old 02-03-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha! Maybe you need to draw a timeline with a big arrow pointing to the specific release(s) you're talking about.
Old 02-03-11, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,434 Likes on 4,401 Posts

I thought the Maw was a lot of fun.
Old 02-03-11, 08:07 PM

Despite L&O's complaints about them, I liked both The Maw and Splosion Man.
Old 02-11-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 935 Likes on 660 Posts

Late to the party but I finally opened Kinect Sports over the weekend after buying it on release day. The kids made it this long just having fun with K. Adventures so I didn't feel the need to break it out until now.

At any rate, wow, what a blast. Definitely more fun than Wii Sports. Love pretty much everything but soccer. Just like real life... boring as hell. Gave all the bowling mini-games a spin the other night and woke up sore the next day. Pinvaders will do a number on your shoulders. Very fun though, a decent substitute to the Wii's 100 pin game.
Old 02-24-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Microsoft must be doing something right. My wife just told me she wants to get a Kinect. Am I crazy for wanting to talk my wife out of buying a gaming peripheral?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.