Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Anyone having issues with Follower stupidity? Like in the Golden Claw Quest..there is a trap that you can avoid, but the follower keeps on triggering it over and over again. Farendahl got hit with the same trap 3 times before he finally figured it out.
Followers are a pain. I went with one of the Companions to recover a totem. She was the quest giver. I got to the dungeon and looked around and she's gone! She was right behind me all the way there. The hell? So I figure she'll show up after I clear the dungeon. Nope. So then I figure she'll show up when I get back to the companion house. Nope. I had to go back out there and search the wilds until I found her. Did I mention I never fast-travel for role playing sake? I did that day, let me tell you.
Old 11-16-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Man, do I hate the lockpicking in this game. I got in deep in the beginner keep dungeon where there a cage and the Empire captain gave me some lockpicks and I broke them all. . I finally unlock it after reloading from a save game and got a new spell book for my Breton mage, so I guess it was worth it. I can't wait on finding a unlocking spell cause this new lockpicking really suck.
Old 11-16-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a lot of issues with follower stupidity too. When they're not directly in the way of my sword swings or destruction spells, they're triggering traps or getting lost somewhere in the vast world. They usually catch up eventually, but I've had to waste time hunting them down on a couple of occasions. But most annoying of all, they constantly block doorways and small passages!

Last night I was doing a quest in which I had to use the flame cloak spell. My follower eventually got mad enough to leave my service because she kept getting burned by it, even though I was sprinting in an attempt to keep my distance from her. It was funny to hear her yelling things like "Stop that!" and "Once more and you'll regret that!" when I was doing my best to run in the opposite direction. (I reloaded an earlier save so that I could tell her to wait before using the spell against enemies.)

It's a good thing they're so useful in combat and as pack mules or I'd never take them along. I do like that there are a ton of NPCs that can become companions in the game, depending on your actions.
Old 11-16-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
Man, do I hate the lockpicking in this game. I got in deep in the beginner keep dungeon where there a cage and the Empire captain gave me some lockpicks and I broke them all. . I finally unlock it after reloading from a save game and got a new spell book for my Breton mage, so I guess it was worth it. I can't wait on finding a unlocking spell cause this new lockpicking really suck.
for the PC version:
open the console (tilde)
click on what you want unlocked
type unlock, press enter
close console
open chest
Old 11-16-11, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by ElementZ
Loving this game and have barely scratched the surface after 10 hours. Have a few questions.

1) Anyway to view if I have a bounty on my head at any given time?
2) Anyway to remove my bounty besides a guard? If a guard does remove the bounty, does he remove all stolen items..pretty sure they do?

Also I finished up the quest (first quest) for the
Spoiler:
golden claw at bleak falls barrows
and I happened to notice there is an achievement for beating that area but I didn't get it....is it a glitch or it something I missed or didn't do or something completely different?

I'm stuck there, where the closed gate with the lever that shoots arrows at you when you pull it is.

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I installed it, then deleted the install after reading the Kotaku article. Graphics don't look any different to me.

Did you delete any saves? I uninstalled it and nothing happened - hope it stays that way.
Old 11-16-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I just got the Prima guide today. Mostly for the first section giving more detailed information on skills and other stuff that should have been in the manual. Taking into account the $10 credit I got for pre-ordering the game from amazon and free shipping I got it for $6. My god is it big, 656 pages and a full size detailed map. Wow, maybe even more intimidating than the game.

I have a question. My gf (the one unable to update due to lack of internet) is playing on a smaller, older 32" tube 720 HD TV. The graphics look good but the text (including menu items, descriptions, and subtitles) is almost unreadable. Aparently the graphic problems are only if the game is fully installed, which her's isn't. Is it her TV or can something else be done?
Is it worth it? I was thinking about getting it since this is my first RPG.
Old 11-16-11, 11:57 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

I didn't realize your followers actually die instead of just getting knocked out for a bit. I had to replay almost an entire dungeon last night because Lydia died right at the end of it and she was carrying all my good shit that I couldn't
Old 11-16-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by daniel18
I'm stuck there, where the closed gate with the lever that shoots arrows at you when you pull it is.
Spoiler:
you have to rotate those animal symbol stones in the right order. Look up and you'll find the correct order
Old 11-16-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrX
I didn't realize your followers actually die instead of just getting knocked out for a bit. I had to replay almost an entire dungeon last night because Lydia died right at the end of it and she was carrying all my good shit that I couldn't
There is a blessing stone which will give you an additional 100 lbs of carrying ability along w/ no movement penalty for wearing heavy armor.
Old 11-16-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
I think the lockpicking is great. Totally taken from the Fallout games. Maybe that's why I like it

I always save before doing any adept or master locks.Anything else is fairly easy.

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Very worth it.

Originally Posted by MrX
They die? Lydia was with me when a dragon attacked a town and got repeatedly cooked. She staggered but always recovered.

Speaking of dragons, are their appearances random or scripted?
Old 11-16-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
They die? Lydia was with me when a dragon attacked a town and got repeatedly cooked. She staggered but always recovered.
I spent about 10 hours with Lydia. Took down 3 dragons and went through a bunch of dungeons. She fell a bunch of times and got back up until one time she didn't. They can take a bunch, but they can definitely die if they fall too many times.
Old 11-16-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

Well in that case it's only a matter of time the way they rush into battle.
Old 11-16-11, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well in that case it's only a matter of time the way they rush into battle.
I think that's how I had her last so long, cause I'm the stealthy archer type. Most of the people in the room were dead before she could even get in front of me.
Old 11-16-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the lockpicking is great. Totally taken from the Fallout games. Maybe that's why I like it

Very worth it.

Is it color or B&W?
Old 11-16-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is it color or B&W?
Color. And absolutely JAM PACKED with info. It's a fantastic resource to have for the game.
Old 11-16-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can anyone give me any insight on a good strategy on on the perk tree for an Imperial? I chose the Imperial race because I thought it was a good balance of being able to use magic and hand to hand combat. I just have no idea where to start with my perk points. I do know that this is a personal decision as to how you want to progress your character so I guess I'm more or less just asking people's opinions of how they would start out.
Old 11-16-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
Color. And absolutely JAM PACKED with info. It's a fantastic resource to have for the game.
It really is. I got it as an iBook on my iPad 2 and it's a tremendous resource. It even has searchable text!
Old 11-16-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
Can anyone give me any insight on a good strategy on on the perk tree for an Imperial? I chose the Imperial race because I thought it was a good balance of being able to use magic and hand to hand combat. I just have no idea where to start with my perk points. I do know that this is a personal decision as to how you want to progress your character so I guess I'm more or less just asking people's opinions of how they would start out.
Alchemy 4 Life!
Old 11-16-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Alchemy 4 Life!
Are you saying I'll need to build that up because I'll be needing to rely on using potions? I was hoping to rely on restoration healing more. I have zero interest in alchemy.
Old 11-16-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you saying I'll need to build that up because I'll be needing to rely on using potions? I was hoping to rely on restoration healing more. I have zero interest in alchemy.
Well there you go, you already know the path you want to take. Now the question is do you want to be pure Mage, or do you want to double up with a weapon in one hand and magic in the other?
Old 11-16-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Well there you go, you already know the path you want to take. Now the question is do you want to be pure Mage, or do you want to double up with a weapon in one hand and magic in the other?
Definitely was planning on doubling up with a weapon and magic, I was led to believe being an Imperial would be a good choice for this.
Old 11-16-11, 02:50 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also an Imperial for those reasons, and am trying to figure out where to focus points...I was thinking destruction, restoration, enchanting, and one-handed, but I also think I'll use some on speech/pickpocketing.
Old 11-16-11, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orangecrush
There is a blessing stone which will give you an additional 100 lbs of carrying ability along w/ no movement penalty for wearing heavy armor.
I didn't know about this stone. I now have a new top priority mission of finding it!

There's also a perk that adds 100 lbs, and as I previously mentioned, it was the first thing I went for in the game. I'm hoping the 2 stack for 200 extra lbs.

Also, has anyone figured out the exact threshold for companion perma-deaths? It seems a bit random. You'd think it would happen after they get downed a certain number of times, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I had a companion die during one mission, so I reloaded an earlier save. She stayed with me for hours of playtime after that, and was downed a number of other times without going out permanently. Maybe it happens if they continue taking damage after being staggered?
Old 11-16-11, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I didn't know about this stone. I now have a new top priority mission of finding it!
Does anyone know the name of the stone or whereabouts it can be found or bought?
Old 11-16-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I know how most people say they use wiki's/onlime game guides, but I love busting out a giant strat guide for maps and things.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.