Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mass Effect 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Mass Effect 3

Originally Posted by RocShemp
That's not news. In fact, the DLC character and his quest being free only on the CE was one of the chief selling points.
Guess I wasn't paying attention then, because it's news to me.

Originally Posted by pinata242
Where do you draw the line for a character that "should have" been included on the disc? I feel like there's more than enough in ME2 already. I tried them all out, but always stuck with the same two that complimented my style anyway. So it's really a moot point.
It's a good thing everyone plays the game exactly the same as you then.

Last edited by ultimaton; 02-22-12 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-22-12, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by atxbomber
It's a good thing everyone plays the game exactly the same as you then.
You didn't answer the question. How many do they "owe" us? If this one should have been included, why not the next? The one after that? There was like a dozen in ME2 directly. If you want to use them all in a rotation, that's great for you, but it doesn't mean you're owed anything but the game you paid for.
Old 02-22-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you draw the line for a character that "should have" been included on the disc? I feel like there's more than enough in ME2 already. I tried them all out, but always stuck with the same two that complimented my style anyway. So it's really a moot point.
If it's developed as part of the main game and ready to go on release day, it should be included on the disc. And I'm more interested in the story aspect than the additional teammate option.

If you want to use them all in a rotation, that's great for you, but it doesn't mean you're owed anything but the game you paid for.
I don't feel that I'm owed anything other than the game I paid for. The only question is whether or not the game/content I'm paying for is worth the money they're asking. Increasingly these days, I'm finding that it's not.
Old 02-22-12, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So if they develop it, they would be better to sit on it for an artificial delay than offer it day 1. Got it.

Btw, none of the loyalty missions are part of the main story, on disc or not. You cannot simply say this should or should not be included because you don't like the monetization of optional content.

You know, if you get less than you expect on disc, then you can make a case. Two weeks before it launches is a bit... whiney.
Old 02-22-12, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So only the "main story" and no side missions should be included in the $60 price tag for a new RPG? If they want to sell it that way, more power to them. If people want to buy it that way, great! I'll be checking out of that process, though.

My concern is not with being whiny or having a sense of entitlement. My concern is feeling taken advantage of as a consumer, seemingly a little bit more with each passing month. A breaking point will eventually be reached.

I can save the argument for two weeks and then repeat it if that makes you feel better.
Old 02-22-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That would be more appropriate, thanks. And you're not fooling anyone when you say that it's only "main story" missions since there's a whole galaxy of side quests and planets out there that don't revolve specifically around the side characters. Are they the best? Yes. Are they essential? No. Is having 10 instead of 11 on disc a cause for lighting up the torches? Apparently.
Old 02-22-12, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That would be more appropriate, thanks. And you're not fooling anyone when you say that it's only "main story" missions since there's a whole galaxy of side quests and planets out there that don't revolve specifically around the side characters. Are they the best? Yes. Are they essential? No. Is having 10 instead of 11 on disc a cause for lighting up the torches? Apparently.
Again, my problem is that we're approaching a time with 0 of 11 sidequests on the $60 disc, slowly (?) but surely.

Is it not ok to question the motives and business practices of large corporations that want as much of your money as possible?
Old 02-22-12, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, I didn't realize you had a rational mathematical formula there. Yes, I suppose that as time approaches infinity, the value of $60 will tend to decrease. BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY!

I'm gonna get $60 out of the disc. And I'll use the $20 credit down the line making some other game even more valuable as I fight off the evil corporate overlords hell bent on destroying my evenings.
Old 02-22-12, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
On day one (i.e., developed as part of the game but withheld for extra profit)?.
Do you know this is the case with ME3, or just speculation on your part?

It's possible that it was developed and ready to go, but there are also cases where gold masters are pressed weeks or months prior and remaining content is completed afterwards for release in time for a planned day one patch, or day one DLC. This is becoming quite normal because of all the online capabilities these days to give developers a bit more time.

I don't disagree that there are monetary incentives in many cases, but blanketly saying that content was ready to go and intentionally withheld just because its available on Day 1 just isn't always true. I know this for a fact
Old 02-23-12, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Of course I don't know for a fact that it's true. But when content that's pretty obviously vital to the main story is available as day-one DLC and is used as a bonus incentive to increase sales of the CE, I'll just say that my skepticism tends to favor the consumer side of the issue rather than the corporate side.

I really don't want to further derail this thread. I just know that I'm now having second thoughts about a full-price release day purchase because of this issue, and if it wasn't a ME title I'd absolutely rule it out as I have with several other games in the past year.

To get back on topic: the underwhelming demo is contributing to my second thoughts about paying full price for this game. I wanted to enjoy it, but I'd be lying if I said that I did. Also, Liara > Tali.
Old 02-23-12, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 627 Likes on 483 Posts

the underwhelming demo is contributing to my second thoughts about paying full price for this game. I wanted to enjoy it, but I'd be lying if I said that I did.
What didn't you like about it?

I was cool with the demo but it did feel a bit slapped together. Understandable since they only included a tutorial level and an obviously truncated (you can tell there's a hug middle section that was removed from the second half of the demo) later level.

Liara > Tali.
In combat? Absolutely.

Characterwise? Hell no!

Liara is the Lana Lang (Smallville version) of the Mass Effect Universe. Just so bland.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-23-12 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-23-12, 07:38 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the games Bioware makes, but this is the same company that released Dragon Age and forced you to talk to two characters to do some side missions and when you said yes prompted you to the market place to buy these missions day one. It was as forced as you can get into the game. I love their games, and will buy them because they are good. I don't like day one dlc that is pushed in your face in the actual game. Not sure how Mass Effect 3 will work. If playing the game I never hear about this extra character or mission I will be fine. I might even buy it. If (like Dragon Age) at some point they tell you about the character and this great mission you have to do, and then ask you to buy the dlc in game, I will not purchase it.
Old 02-23-12, 07:40 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, Liara kicked ass as a character when it came to combat. Her powers were amazing in Mass 1. Tali never seemed worth taking. I agree with Rock though that Tali is a much more interesting and fleshed out character. It probably has to do with how much I want to see the bitch...lol..
Old 02-23-12, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Of course I don't know for a fact that it's true. But when content that's pretty obviously vital to the main story is available as day-one DLC and is used as a bonus incentive to increase sales of the CE, I'll just say that my skepticism tends to favor the consumer side of the issue rather than the corporate side.
Nothing about the description makes it sound "obviously vital to the main story" to me

EDIT: For what its worth, this is Bioware's response on their forums.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass...9403705-1.html

There has been a lot of discussion about the DLC offering but we wanted to clarify a few things...

- “From Ashes” includes the Prothean squad mate, an adventure on Eden Prime, a new weapon, and an alternate
appearance for every squad mate. Note that these alternate appearances are in addition to the ones already advertised in the CE.

- The Collectors Edition has been advertised from the beginning as containing a bonus character/mission, but we were not at liberty to provide the details. The Prothean is optional content that is certainly designed to appeal to long-time fans, which is why he is part of the CE offering (the version many fans would be likely to purchase). Mass Effect 3 is a complete – and a huge game - right out of the box.

- The content in “From Ashes” was developed by a separate team (after the core game was finished) and not completed until well after the main game went into certification.

- The Collectors Edition has been sold out in most places for some time now, and is becoming very hard to find (many players prefer not to purchase the digital version). As such, we wanted to make this content available so that SE buyers could also incorporate the Prothean into their game.

Last edited by fumanstan; 02-23-12 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-23-12, 11:08 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will only be buying the DLC. The main game sounds like a rip off in comparison.
Old 02-23-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan

Yeah, the ad for the CE has always mentioned "Additional Downloadable Mission & Characters".

http://www.masseffect.com/about/collectors/
Not to be argumentative here, but the sites that are selling the game say nothing about missions. This is from Gamestop: http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/gam...d=ppc_60000001

Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition

More details
Premium metal case featuring male and female Commander Shepard
70-page hardbound art book
Limited edition Mass Effect comic by Dark Horse Comics
Fabric N7 patch.
Exclusive 4x6 lithographic print of the SR-2 Alliance Normandy
Additional in-game content including
N7 Arsenal Pack - Bring the firepower with the N7 Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, SMG, and Pistol.
Squad alternate appearance pack
Robotic Dog for on board the Normandy
Mass Effect 3 digital soundtrack.
This is from Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mass+Eff...ible&lp=2&cp=1

N7 Collector's Edition includes a premium metal case, hardbound art book, limited edition Mass Effect comic by Dark Horse Comics, fabric N7 patch, exclusive 4" x 6" lithographic print, digital soundtrack and a collection of in-game content
Premium metal case featuring commemorative artwork of Commander Shepard
70-page hardbound art book featuring hundreds of unique and gorgeous illustrations from the BioWare development team
Limited edition Mass Effect comic by Dark Horse Comics, complete with unique cover artwork
Join the ranks of the N7 with the premium fabric N7 patch
Exclusive 4" x 6" lithographic print featuring a one-of-a-kind piece of artwork
I had no idea there was going to be basically "DLC" with the collectors edition. I was on the fence about paying $20 extras for things I probably wouldn't use, so I didn't buy it. Had I known there as game content that wasn't just costumes or other frivolous shit, I would've purchased it.

Last edited by Deftones; 02-23-12 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-23-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Not to be argumentative here, but the sites that are selling the game say nothing about missions. This is from Gamestop: http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/gam...d=ppc_60000001

This is from Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mass+Eff...ible&lp=2&cp=1

I had no idea there was going to be basically "DLC" with the collectors edition. I was on the fence about paying $20 extras for things I probably wouldn't use, so I didn't buy it. Had I known there as game content that wasn't just costumes or other frivolous shit, I would've purchased it.
So you saved $20 and now only have to pay $10 for the content.
Old 02-23-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Also, Liara kicked ass as a character when it came to combat. Her powers were amazing in Mass 1. Tali never seemed worth taking. I agree with Rock though that Tali is a much more interesting and fleshed out character. It probably has to do with how much I want to see the bitch...lol..
In Mass 1 my soldier class play though would have Tali & Liara as my party throughout for the combination of tech/biotic and combat powers. In ME2 though and not much in the way of synthetic enemies I rarely ever used Tali. Still went ahead with a romance option with her in ME2 though just to see how it plays out in ME3
Old 02-23-12, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chuckd21
And who pays $10 for $10 in points? Plus you can wait for the eventual New Year's Countdown sale like the deep cuts the ME2 DLC got.
Old 02-23-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And who pays $10 for $10 in points? Plus you can wait for the eventual New Year's Countdown sale like the deep cuts the ME2 DLC got.
But...but...now what will everybody complain about?
Old 02-23-12, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Nothing about the description makes it sound "obviously vital to the main story" to me
If you've played ME1 and ME2, it's hard to imagine a scenario in which a
Spoiler:
living, breathing, talking Prothean

isn't vital to the lore and story. Unless that character's dialogue/story/mission are very poorly written and fleshed out, which is also possible, I suppose.

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Spoiler:
Old 02-23-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, I didn't realize you had a rational mathematical formula there. Yes, I suppose that as time approaches infinity, the value of $60 will tend to decrease. BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY!

I'm gonna get $60 out of the disc. And I'll use the $20 credit down the line making some other game even more valuable as I fight off the evil corporate overlords hell bent on destroying my evenings.
More important than any other arguing... where are you getting 20$ credit? Did I miss it on Amazon (since Amazon is only 10$ in credit now) or is this a Kmart thing?
Old 02-23-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Amazon. I pre-ordered over a year ago.
Old 02-23-12, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you've played ME1 and ME2, it's hard to imagine a scenario in which a
Spoiler:
living, breathing, talking Prothean

isn't vital to the lore and story. Unless that character's dialogue/story/mission are very poorly written and fleshed out, which is also possible, I suppose.
Or it's not necessarily that character that is central to the story.

They could have had Geth without Legion.
Old 02-23-12, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
No because I don't have $10 in points. i've got like $3. Now I have to go out and buy a $20 card, so this is going to cost me the same amount. I know I will have points left over, but I truly do look at this paying that same price. Why? Because I've had those same $3 in points sitting in my account for over 2 years! I never use them and hate that I have to commit to paying for so much that I'll never use. i'll be excited when Xbox finally makes the switch to regular $ transactions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.