Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by pinata242
I was thinking of asking Radian Games if he's kicked around the idea of just bundling his 5 (so far) core games, maybe even with the sequels he's working on, as a full XBLA release.

I would imagine he would sell more at 5 games for $10 that way than 5 games for $5 via XBLIG.
He's had talks with at least one publisher in the past although specifics of it were not revealed.

His last blog post was really interesting, he gave lots of sales and monetary figures. He is doing this as his full time job but he's not making enough to sustain himself and his family. BUT, it's basically a dream job and there's nowhere else he can do it this particular way so he's staying the course on it for a little bit longer.
Old 11-11-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Funny you mentioned this, apparently, Microsoft is currently talking with the XBLIG community on the next revisions to the service and achievements seem to be a big topic. Apparently they're trying to figure out what will work on price vs. gamerscore and if there should be an approval process so that fart and massage games don't devalue the system with basically "freebie" achievements.
This concerns me greatly. While achievements would be a fantastic boon for XBLIG by generating attention and sales, if they require their inclusion to be dependent on a set price point, like 240, I worry that will be the death of 80 point games.
Old 11-11-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
This concerns me greatly. While achievements would be a fantastic boon for XBLIG by generating attention and sales, if they require their inclusion to be dependent on a set price point, like 240, I worry that will be the death of 80 point games.
But is that necessarily a bad thing? Granted the ship has sailed and 80 is the norm, but remember when XBLA was 400/800? I don't see why 240 is that bad, especially compared to Game Room and Rock Band.

I think it's sickening that a very successful XBLIG developer is hoping for an $11,000 check from MS every quarter for 20,000 in sales across 4 titles.

I realize those sale numbers would be less at a higher price point, but if everything else was 240 anyway, the cream would still rise. And it would allow for XBLIG DotW. You can't go much less than 80, but having a 33-50% off sale for a $3 game? Sure, that's something that's possible.
Old 11-11-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But is that necessarily a bad thing? Granted the ship has sailed and 80 is the norm, but remember when XBLA was 400/800? I don't see why 240 is that bad, especially compared to Game Room and Rock Band.

I think it's sickening that a very successful XBLIG developer is hoping for an $11,000 check from MS every quarter for 20,000 in sales across 4 titles.

I realize those sale numbers would be less at a higher price point, but if everything else was 240 anyway, the cream would still rise. And it would allow for XBLIG DotW. You can't go much less than 80, but having a 33-50% off sale for a $3 game? Sure, that's something that's possible.
I agree that 240 isn't bad, but a 240 standard to include acheivements (if that were to end up being the case) would push a ton of people to making their games 240 regardless of if it was the right spot for them or not. I know we're talking about a difference of $1-$3, but proportionally it's important.

On the other hand, I'm all for the creators of some of those games that are currently available for $1-$3 seeing much better returns. Pricing up their games, like in the case of the Radiangames stuff, and even just including achievements would definitely open that up for them.
Old 11-11-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ya know, as nice as it is on the pockets, a lot of the really good 80 point games are forcibly priced down because of all the shit up there and it's ending up hurting the developers trying to take XBLIG as a serious business venture.

That said, I don't think it would change a damn thing. Games are selling now without achievements, the score values being discussed (100 and under per game) aren't enough to lure many people into buying shit they wouldn't have to begin with given that there's such a wealth of horrible licensed kid's games out there worth 1000 a clip.
Old 11-11-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree that 240 isn't bad, but a 240 standard to include acheivements (if that were to end up being the case) would push a ton of people to making their games 240 regardless of if it was the right spot for them or not. I know we're talking about a difference of $1-$3, but proportionally it's important.

On the other hand, I'm all for the creators of some of those games that are currently available for $1-$3 seeing much better returns. Pricing up their games, like in the case of the Radiangames stuff, and even just including achievements would definitely open that up for them.
Yeah, proportionally everything is the same already. If everything went up just for adding achievements, the playing field is still even. People are are still going to have to decide if "Inferno" or "Super Fart Mama" gets their $3. Assuming MS does the expected thing and limits the gamerscore in XBLIG games to be 100 or so (no way they'll "value" them as highly as XBLA titles), then even some gamerscore whores will still shy away on a gs/$ factor. And those that don't and still buy everything, the developers win. They feed, clothe, and shelter their families and remain viable so more awesome comes our way.
Old 11-11-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, proportionally everything is the same already. If everything went up just for adding achievements, the playing field is still even. People are are still going to have to decide if "Inferno" or "Super Fart Mama" gets their $3. Assuming MS does the expected thing and limits the gamerscore in XBLIG games to be 100 or so (no way they'll "value" them as highly as XBLA titles), then even some gamerscore whores will still shy away on a gs/$ factor. And those that don't and still buy everything, the developers win. They feed, clothe, and shelter their families and remain viable so more awesome comes our way.
PixyJunket likes this post.

That said, this is all in very early discussions, it may not ever come to fruition.
Old 11-11-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not an entirely exciting video but I'm so damned pumped for this game.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/whDxNxH13RM?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/whDxNxH13RM?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>
Old 11-11-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

From Radian Games blog:
PS. Fireball passed Peer Review and will be out tomorrow (Thursday aka November 11th) around 9PM Central time.

PPS. Crossfire 2 is coming out the first week of December.

PPPS. Inferno 2 is coming out on Christmas Eve.
Old 11-11-10, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Not an entirely exciting video but I'm so damned pumped for this game.

Same here. I loved the first one.
Old 11-11-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I heart everyone here for turning me on to Radiangames.

As far as that Hasbro stuff goes...400 points is a sale price? Really?
Old 11-11-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Same here. I loved the first one.
I just read that there's an achievement for beating the game without using the new jump ability.

Awesome.
Old 11-11-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

I just read that there's an achievement for beating the game without using the new jump ability.

Awesome.
I totally agree -- about the new jump ability, not the Chevo.
Old 11-12-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E8RGDzMnE4k?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E8RGDzMnE4k?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>
Old 11-12-10, 11:43 AM

I'm forgetting, but isn't there a Geometry Wars 2 mode that plays just like that?
Old 11-12-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm forgetting, but isn't there a Geometry Wars 2 mode that plays just like that?
but with gates.
Old 11-12-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Pacifism. My favorite GW2 mode.
Old 11-12-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, the PR even makes sure to mention that this is basically GW2 Pacifism expanded into its own game.
Old 11-12-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E8RGDzMnE4k?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E8RGDzMnE4k?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>
The size of your videos you post make me think you're compensating for something.
Old 11-12-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The size of your videos you post make me think you're compensating for something.
I am, but also this is the only size YouTube allows embed code for HD video.
Old 11-12-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am, but also this is the only size YouTube allows embed code for HD video.
So like a 2 for 1 deal.
Old 11-12-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Or, you can just use the yt tags the forum has.

Old 11-12-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stop being helpful.
Old 11-12-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well..this is rather fucking fantastic! http://www.indiegames-uprising.com/

Super awesome effort on the Indie Games front.
Old 11-12-10, 05:33 PM

Well..this is rather (expletive deleted) fantastic! http://www.indiegames-uprising.com/

Super awesome effort on the Indie Games front.
Good News : Lots of (presumably) terrific new Indie Games all out the same week!

Bad News : Inevitably, the first 170 minutes of the next Signed In Podcast episode devoted to discussion of Indie Games demos.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.