Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Well, one member over at the NeoGAF site gives pretty good summaries of every XBLIG game released:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...342122&page=75
It's so hard to find a good review site for XBLIG. You should put that link as well as any others people here use on your soon-to-be-totally-revamped-and-updated initial post.
Old 07-27-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

I can offer up this section of my site for XBLIG review links: http://www.gamerswithcasts.com/tag/xbox-live-indie/

It's not comprehensive, but we do what we can. Also, the Signed In podcast covers a great deal of XBLIG games (in addition to XBLA titles).
Old 07-27-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Decker
It's so hard to find a good review site for XBLIG. You should put that link as well as any others people here use on your soon-to-be-totally-revamped-and-updated initial post.
Will do.

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I can offer up this section of my site for XBLIG review links: http://www.gamerswithcasts.com/tag/xbox-live-indie/

It's not comprehensive, but we do what we can. Also, the Signed In podcast covers a great deal of XBLIG games (in addition to XBLA titles).
I'll add this too.
Old 07-27-10, 10:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I can't blame people for "marketing" their indie games. There's a huge list, and you want your game to stand out.

The irony, of course, is that there are now so many fart and zombie games that these titles no longer stand out at all. I usually ignore them myself.

As a side note, work is almost complete on my new indie game where you try and attach a cigarette holder to a rich woman's cigarette. Here's a screenshot:

Spoiler:

The game is called Put it in her butt!!!1!
Old 07-27-10, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's my 80 points.
Old 07-27-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sooooo.. I'm working on updating the reccomendations and I'm curious, what do you guys think works better? The bigger pictures looks nice and are crystal clear, but they're going to break forum formatting for most people. I think the smaller pictures that are available will keep things looking nice for anybody's resolution settings but at the expense of a little clarity. I'm highly leaning towards using the smaller ones.

Examples!

Old 07-27-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I like the larger images, there's nothing wrong with the smaller ones, and they are more user friendly.
Old 07-27-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think the smaller art would be better for the individual lists, but I like the bigger art, too.

Maybe we could then tally up everybody's picks or do a poll to determine the forum's top five games, and then display the bigger art for those.
Old 07-27-10, 11:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Smaller ones fit better on my 4:3 display.
Old 07-27-10, 11:39 AM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

Go big or go home.
Old 07-27-10, 11:39 AM

I like these mid-size images Corvin used.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Here's my top 4 and a tie for 5th:

Pac-Man: CE RezHD Zuma Splosion Man Geometry Wars 2 Wik: Fable of Souls
but I couldn't find images that size when I checked the Marketplace.
Old 07-27-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joystiq gave it a very enthusiastic review of it, calling it (essentially) the best racer on the service. I'm wondering if IGN is giving it too low a review in the same way that they pretty much trashed the above-average (IMO) twin-stick shooter Aqua a few months back.
Yeah, as more reviews pop up, IGN seems to be the negative outlier. Everyone else seems fairly positive on it.
Old 07-27-10, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

^^ I copied the MS url and pasted it into Photobucket's uploader set to Large....but why do we need images at all? All of us already own these games. Seems like a pointless endeavor, IMO. Why not do a DVDtalk top 20 arcade games (with images) list in the second post instead?

If Pixy is set on updating the thread, why not just update it every Wednesday with nice images, price and demo links to the xbox.com url. I think that would be more useful.
Old 07-27-10, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to do that It sucks and no one cares.
Old 07-27-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well after a bit of work updating, I've discovered that I'm limited to 25 images per post.
Old 07-27-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Well after a bit of work updating, I've discovered that I'm limited to 25 images per post.
How about a top 5 recommendations using images, then the rest are just text?
Old 07-27-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What about the top 10 XBLA games, top 10 XBLIG games, and top 5 GR games represented as bar graphs and you can stretch the images out based on votes? Something like:

That looks amazing to me! Informative and beautiful!
Old 07-27-10, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll figure something out to make this work.

I like the idea of individual lists as you'll find recommendations you might not otherwise. A DVDTalk specific Top 5/10/25 isn't really going to differ that much from any other site out there, but individual members might have more diverse lists.
Old 07-27-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You do have the first two posts so you might just need to use them both, that'll double your image limit at least.
Old 07-27-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Everyone that wants images with their list could combine five covers into one image and give you the URL. You would be down to one image per list.
Old 07-27-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why do we need a Top 5 list? I don't play too many XBLA games and already know most in the list. Geometry Wars 2 is my second most played game, number one is Fallout 3. After that I have Gears of War 2, Halo 3, Borderlands and FIFA 10. So, you get the idea.

And as pinata said:
I used to do that It sucks and no one cares.
Old 07-27-10, 11:37 PM

I like the look of the first post now. Thanks Pixy, nice work.
Old 07-28-10, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the look of the first post now. Thanks Pixy, nice work.
Thank you. I agree, it looks fantastic, it's a shame I can't expand it any further.
Old 07-28-10, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVDChris
Get to the ending of Braid and then come back and let us know what you think.
Okay, I beat it.. and my stance hasn't changed. Did I miss something? Or were the little excerpts from the creator's whiny LiveJournal supposed to be the "big get" for the game? I really feel like I might be at a serious disconnect with how much everyone else has gushed over the game.
Old 07-28-10, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

You aren't the only one. It was a good little puzzle game. Nothing more, nothing less.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.