DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Portal 2 PS3/PC/360 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/575885-portal-2-ps3-pc-360-a.html)

glassdragon 04-20-11 06:21 PM

Re: Portal 2 PS3/PC/360

I had to get help like 5 or 6 times in the later levels. Every time though it was a "Holy shit, how did i not see that"

So easy to miss portal surfaces.

TheBigDave 04-20-11 07:36 PM

When you finish, is there any way to go back and replay certain levels?

foxdvd 04-20-11 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 10734886)
When you finish, is there any way to go back and replay certain levels?

Yes...new game..and then you can level select...

I finished it...only took me 6 hours or so....The single player is fantastic, with a "OH HELL YEAH" ending...

I only got stuck once...I mean I was stuck many times, but never more than a minute...but the one time I got REALLY stuck was because I was being stubborn and trying to get an achievement that requires you to smash 11 monitors. I knew I had to smash 11...I just did not know how, and one part took forever to figure out...outside that I feel they made it easier....difficulty was more from not seeing where you were suppose to go, not actually figuring out the puzzles..

My friend is almost finished, and I look forward to the coop...especially since they said it is harder...

Some of the best writing ever in a game...

silentbob007 04-20-11 09:45 PM

I got stuck a few times but eventually figured things out. The only thing that frustrated me was at the end when there was a time requirement.

discostu1337 04-21-11 12:29 AM

Just finished SP. Great game with excellent voice acting and writing. Some of the stuff from chapters 4-8 dragged on a bit, but overall quite fun. Seemed just as difficult as Portal 1 to me. It actually felt like 3 versions of Portal 1 strung together to make it a 8 hour game instead of a 2-3 hour game. Co-op is a blast but it's a pain having friends come over to play it, I think we have 2 courses left to complete.

I managed to grab every SP achievement in 1 play through, now I just need to make a few friends buy it so I can get the hugging co-op achievement :)

pinata242 04-21-11 12:53 AM

I don't know how you guys tore through the single player so fast. Then again, adding up my time, I guess I'm only at 5.5 hours, it just feels like so much longer. I love just working through the puzzles and figuring it all out on my own. Taking in all the little posters and propaganda is adding a lot to it as well.

I just started Chapter 8 - The Itch and it seems like it's all about to come to a head. I don't know how many chapters there are and I don't want to know. All I do know is that my brain is fried and I can't go any more. I imagine I'll finish it up tomorrow evening.

I really love how they're starting to take portal orientation into account now. I don't remember any of that in the first game. You actually have to line things up or replace the same portal in the same spot, just rotated 180 degrees. It's awesome!

discostu1337 04-21-11 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 10735357)

I really love how they're starting to take portal orientation into account now. I don't remember any of that in the first game. You actually have to line things up or replace the same portal in the same spot, just rotated 180 degrees. It's awesome!

Portal 1 was the same. You would come flying out of stuff upside down all the time :)

pinata242 04-21-11 01:05 AM

Well, yeah, but it didn't matter. I mean in this you're doing a lot of moving things through portals and they already have a trajectory or lining up two surfaces to make a single one. It's way different than your body that auto-corrects itself with the ground.

foxdvd 04-21-11 08:11 AM

maybe its because I already played the crap out of the first game, but I just found this one easier than the first...and every puzzle in the game I figured out on my own....

You don't need as much actually timing and skill as the first game, most of the puzzles are actually easier to pull off once you figure out what to do...

I can't wait to do the coop...once I am done, I plan on hugging the shit out of anyone on here who wants some homoerotic robot lovin....

RichC2 04-21-11 08:18 AM

Yeah that was the issue I was worried about from the get go, kind like how half the fun of music games was learning how to play them, Portal is kind of a one trick pony -- once you figure out the trick it's all pretty easy.

Still a ton of fun, but I'm flying through it way too quickly.

Ghym 04-21-11 09:10 AM

I loved it. It took me about 8 hours to finish. I got stuck a few times, but figured them out on my own. When I'd figure out a puzzle I was stuck on, I'd usually get annoyed at myself for not figuring it out sooner. :lol:

The dialogue was awesome. The ending was pretty good. Loved the scene right before the end credits. Although, I didn't find the ending song to be as good as Still Alive, but it was catchy.

I need to play through co-op next. I also want to replay the single player, just to listen to all the dialogue again.

I think some of my favorite lines are at the beginning of Chapter 6.

Spoiler:
Oh, hi. How are you holding up? Because I'm a POTATO.

He's not just a regular moron. He was created by the greatest minds of a generation, to be the dumbest moron that ever lived. And you put him in charge.

pinata242 04-21-11 04:40 PM

That was no Still Alive...

Fun game, wasn't as good as the first, overall, even though it was more fleshed out. The gels did add a lot to it and that's good because there's only so much you can do with just a portal gun.

Like Dead Space 2, this is another game where it was just too hard to understand some of the dialog. Particularly
Spoiler:
when SPuDOS is talking to you on the end of your gun. I couldn't make out a lot of what she was saying.
Everyone else was fine.

glassdragon 04-21-11 07:05 PM

Yeah I wasn't too impressed with the song, it wasn't anywhere near as catchy as the last one. Disappointed

glassdragon 04-21-11 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 10736374)
That was no Still Alive...

Fun game, wasn't as good as the first, overall, even though it was more fleshed out. The gels did add a lot to it and that's good because there's only so much you can do with just a portal gun.

Like Dead Space 2, this is another game where it was just too hard to understand some of the dialog. Particularly
Spoiler:
when SPuDOS is talking to you on the end of your gun. I couldn't make out a lot of what she was saying.
Everyone else was fine.

It's called "subtitles" ;)

foxdvd 04-21-11 11:39 PM

3 of the 8 levels done in Coop...took about 3 hours..so this is going to take 8 hours by itself....

Still not that hard, but the coop is more like the first portal...and fun as hell..

discostu1337 04-22-11 02:28 AM

co-op only has 5 areas, not 8. Perhaps you only completed 3 chambers in 3 hours? I hope not...that's terrible :) If so, only about 40 more to go!

I've got 7 chambers left in the 5th section to finish it up. I've had to do some solo which is quite a pain in the ass sometimes.

TheBigDave 04-22-11 04:45 AM

Just finished it. Great game. Much less frustrating than the first one.

I really wish they would make a NPC Player for the co-op games. I don't want to play with someone else. And it kinda feels like I'm only getting half a game.

foxdvd 04-22-11 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by discostu1337 (Post 10737064)
co-op only has 5 areas, not 8. Perhaps you only completed 3 chambers in 3 hours? I hope not...that's terrible :) If so, only about 40 more to go!

I've got 7 chambers left in the 5th section to finish it up. I've had to do some solo which is quite a pain in the ass sometimes.

yeah I am an idiot...there are 5...not sure where I got eight...

so prob 4-5 hours? My friend and I could cut that in half probably if we did not keep killing each other on purpose...lol

GoVegan 04-22-11 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by foxdvd (Post 10737172)
if we did not keep killing each other on purpose...lol

That seems somehow appropriate for a cooperative game set in the Portal world.

foxdvd 04-22-11 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by GoVegan (Post 10737245)
That seems somehow appropriate for a cooperative game set in the Portal world.

It never gets old...and the dread you feel crossing over an endless drop or an acid lake makes the game better.. When you are crossing and you see your friend standing there...thinking "do I?" and his gun is aimed at your portal...lol

Dan 04-22-11 09:18 PM

Finished the single player campaign. What a blast! :) As for the credits...
Spoiler:
The song wasn't as great as the original, but I still liked it. The space bit afterwards was pretty funny.

I'll definitely play through it again, but not immediately.

slop101 04-23-11 01:04 AM

So how does PSN being down for so long affect Steam integration?

Groucho 04-23-11 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 10738390)
So how does PSN being down for so long affect Steam integration?

It doesn't work. You have to sign-in to PSN in order to get to Steam.

Just finished the single player campaign. 10/10. Perhaps one of the best games I've ever played, with a truly satisfactory ending.

Spoiler:
...and the return of the Weighted Companion Cube. Tear.

glassdragon 04-23-11 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore (Post 10738191)
Finished the single player campaign. What a blast! :) As for the credits...
Spoiler:
The song wasn't as great as the original, but I still liked it. The space bit afterwards was pretty funny.

I'll definitely play through it again, but not immediately.

Spoiler:
I'm in space, I'm in space, I'm in space, I'm in space

Larry C. 04-23-11 03:18 PM

I'm off to buy this in about an hour!

CKMorpheus 04-23-11 11:28 PM

Hey Guys,

I extracted all the music audio files from the .pak (about 1.6 GB of .WAVs) and transcoded them to 320kbs VBR .mp3's (also added a nice Portal 2 logo as the embedded album art) and put them in my Dropbox.

You can find the files here: http://db.tt/8jgUvsj - This will allow you to pick through them individually.

I also zipped them all up, and you can find those here: http://db.tt/N7bGEDH

Enjoy!

foxdvd 04-24-11 01:27 AM

Finished the co-op...that was a real blast.

Easily the best game this year so far, and overall a great value for the 54 bucks I spent at amazon, with the 20 bucks back as a gift card....

I just need to hug someone to finish off the achievements.. If you see me on, even if I am playing Operation Flashpoint Red River, and as long as I am not in a party, just hit me up and we can hug....

Playing coop with someone who has already played it is not something I would recommend, as it will take away the joy of arguing and figuring out the puzzles together.

cruzness 04-24-11 11:11 AM

Finished the single player last night. It was absolutely brilliant - best game of the year so far. I started the co-op with my daughter (since the PSN is down) and it is going to be interesting because my 9 year old has never played a FPS and has no idea how to handle the dual sticks.

pizzabagel1980 04-24-11 11:53 AM

Finished Portal 2 yesterday (single player) and freaking loved it. The story & dialogue are what I'll come back for most. The plot is absolutely ridiculous, but within the world it's created, it really manages to be suspensful and interesting, with some twists that I didn't see coming. The small world of the first Portal was perfectly expanded.

My wife is a non-gamer, and she sat and watched me play through the last couple hours, just because she was laughing her ass off at the story. Having Steven Merchant there was a welcome counterpoint to GLaDos.

As for the gameplay, it was excellent. They've made a puzzle game with a unique feel, and have incorporated tutorials for each element into the game without feeling forced at all. I admit to looking for help at one point, but when I saw the answer it seemed obvious that I should have seen it in the first place.

fumanstan 04-24-11 01:48 PM

Finished the single player this morning! According to Steam, it says 7 hours played. There were only a few points that I got stuck on towards the end, but each time I quit and came back later and figured it out quickly. Glad I didn't have to get any help on them. The end fight was a bit too easy though.

The end song definitely isn't as catchy as Still Alive :(

I'll probably play it again for the developer commentary.

pinata242 04-24-11 01:54 PM

Went through and cleaned up the achievements I didnt get on my blind play. It was sad how quickly I got through everything, but that's just the nature of the game. And it's why I'm still searching for a virgin co-op partner. Hopefully one of my friends will come through.

I haven't touched the co-op but I did join up with miyu this afternoon so he could get that shitty, pointless, against-the-grain "professor" achievement. You know, the one where it wants you to play through again with someone that never has? It makes no sense because a rational new player wouldn't want to play with someone that's already completed co-op. At least it's just the quick tutorial level...

fumanstan 04-24-11 02:13 PM

Some more thoughts... the game was more consistently funny throughout thanks to the constant dialogue, but didn't have the charm of something like the whole Cake and Companion Cube bits in the first game, at least anything new to this one. I was also reading some comments that there aren't any "twitch" based puzzles that require a quick turn around to shoot a new portal like there was in the first game, which I agree with. Seems like a choice made to make it easier for console controls, but not a big deal.

Portal 2 (and the first Portal) are games that show that game play length isn't always a big deal. I'd have paid $50 or $60 for this experience. :)

glassdragon 04-24-11 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 10739882)
Some more thoughts... the game was more consistently funny throughout thanks to the constant dialogue, but didn't have the charm of something like the whole Cake and Companion Cube bits in the first game, at least anything new to this one. I was also reading some comments that there aren't any "twitch" based puzzles that require a quick turn around to shoot a new portal like there was in the first game, which I agree with. Seems like a choice made to make it easier for console controls, but not a big deal.

Portal 2 (and the first Portal) are games that show that game play length isn't always a big deal. I'd have paid $50 or $60 for this experience. :)

well there were a few twitch ones, like the room with the lazers that you had to guide to the things near the start. The one with the replusion gel in the little nook. But I hated that part in the first one where you had to go all the way up, the flipping as you went through a portal was dizzying.

fumanstan 04-24-11 02:18 PM

Neat room that I didn't find - Spoiler since it kind of involves the end

Spoiler:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fbzUT-99w88" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cruzness 04-24-11 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 10739860)
Went through and cleaned up the achievements I didnt get on my blind play. It was sad how quickly I got through everything, but that's just the nature of the game. And it's why I'm still searching for a virgin co-op partner. Hopefully one of my friends will come through.

I haven't touched the co-op but I did join up with miyu this afternoon so he could get that shitty, pointless, against-the-grain "professor" achievement. You know, the one where it wants you to play through again with someone that never has? It makes no sense because a rational new player wouldn't want to play with someone that's already completed co-op. At least it's just the quick tutorial level...

The easy way to do this trophy/achievment would be to have a second dummy account. let someone get the trophy/achievement on their account and then reciprocate.

xmiyux 04-24-11 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 10739860)

And thanks!

But yes, the achievement is stupid and is contrary to what a player should seek for their co-op playthrough.

I haven't beat the SP yet (about half way through) but did the entire co-op with Unclegramps and loved the story. Great humor, devious puzzles, and hilarious dialog that only played for one of us as GladOs tried to play us off against one another. :lol:

glassdragon 04-24-11 04:41 PM

Dammit, i wish psn was up so i could do some co-op today

pinata242 04-24-11 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by cruzness (Post 10739974)
The easy way to do this trophy/achievment would be to have a second dummy account. let someone get the trophy/achievement on their account and then reciprocate.

I know, but it has to be done online meaning the dummy accounts need to be gold. I actually have my ex-wife's account and a second Xbox so if I really had no other choice, I would just need a second disc. I'm not in any rush on that now that I have my very own co-op partner. As awesome as the puzzles are in single-player, they're as fun and rewarding in co-op. Love it! Perfect for a dark and stormy Sunday in Oklahoma :up:

Spiderbite 04-25-11 08:30 AM

My apologies if this has already been posted but it is too funny to miss:

Is “Portal 2″ Safe for the Christain Family?

http://christwire.org/2011/04/is-por...istain-family/

As a Christian father, I choose not to allow video games into my household, but occasionally my boys will have sleep overs with other Christian families that might be more lax than ours. Imagine my surprise the other day when I overheard my second oldest boy talking about a video game he had played at a friend’s house. As soon as I heard the name “Portal 2”, my suspicions grew and I immediately found myself wondering which body part the game might be referring to.

I rushed to the computer that I keep locked away from my impressionable children, and what I found was truly disturbing. Just 10 minutes of Bing research produced so much evidence that this game was a homosexual recruitment tool that I have now forbidden it. You better believe that I called the other father and gave him a good talking to. As a devout Christian, he agreed with me and has now burned his Portal 2 DVD on his barbeque grill to make sure this threat to his family is gone for good.

Here are some of the things I have learned: This game is made by Valve software, a wholly owned subsidiary of NAMBLA – the people who invented child molestation. Just the name “valve” produces images in the mind of a Christian man that should not be there.
Click the link for more. Great stuff.

RichC2 04-25-11 09:29 AM

I'd never seen the site before, hilarious :lol: