DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Portal 2 PS3/PC/360 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/575885-portal-2-ps3-pc-360-a.html)

Drexl 01-18-11 11:12 PM

Re: Portal 2 PS3/PC/360

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 10596115)
Automatic patching means that updates will download in the background, so you don't have to worry about launching a game, realizing there's a big update, and then waiting another hour before you can play. On the PC, since i'm almost always signed in to Steam, it's pretty nice to have.

Yeah, it will be great if you leave your console on all the time. Most people don't. Will it even be able to "push" the updates to you?

I like the idea of including the PC version. It's like the gaming equivalent of the digital copy that DVDs/BDs have. It makes sense, as I suspect that the whole "Steam on PS3" idea is to market the PC's Steam store to PS3 gamers. They may be able to get some PS3 gamers to try out the PC for gaming and gain some new customers.

fumanstan 01-18-11 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 10596711)
Yeah, it will be great if you leave your console on all the time. Most people don't. Will it even be able to "push" the updates to you?

It can easily update while you're doing other stuff; playing another game, watching media, whatever :shrug:

pinata242 01-18-11 11:22 PM

Can it?

Should it? Yes.

Can it?

Drexl 01-18-11 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 10596714)
It can easily update while you're doing other stuff; playing another game, watching media, whatever :shrug:

I said console, not PC. If they can pull off updating while playing a game on the PS3, I really hope they show Sony how to do it so we can get it for every game. :)

fumanstan 01-18-11 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 10596730)
I said console, not PC. If they can pull off updating while playing a game on the PS3, I really hope they show Sony how to do it so we can get it for every game. :)

And I meant console, not PC. Not sure why you thought I meant PC. Downloads work in the background on the 360 :shrug:

Drexl 01-18-11 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 10596739)
And I meant console, not PC. Not sure why you thought I meant PC. Downloads work in the background on the 360 :shrug:

I thought you meant PC because you can't download in the background while playing games on the PS3, which is what is getting Steam.

fumanstan 01-18-11 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 10596748)
I thought you meant PC because you can't download in the background while playing games on the PS3, which is what is getting Steam.

Right, I was initially saying what the benefit of "automatic patching" was as it was questioned earlier as a feature, and how it would be a benefit on the PS3.

Fandango 01-19-11 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 10596748)

Not true, you only can't do that if the game has some online component.

pinata242 01-19-11 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Fandango (Post 10596757)
Not true, you only can't do that if the game has some online component.

Or watching a BD. Or is that just movies with an online component?

BTW, which PS3 games don't have an online component?

Wick 01-19-11 05:38 PM

The news about the Playstation 3 version containing a code for a second copy on Steam is brilliant. It gives me a lot of respect for Valve, who I was a bit angry at for releasing L4D2 far too soon (and it being uninspired, and somewhat boring.)

If I buy it, I'll definitely get that version. It'd be nice to be able to play it on console and on Mac.

pinata242 02-14-11 01:25 PM

Now available for pre-order

Amazon's is $54.99 with another $5 future credit.

Gamestop is $54.99 with some co-op skins or something that will probably sell for more than $5 on ebay to morans.

pinata242 02-25-11 01:27 PM

http://avatarawards.ninjasfate.com/w...al_2_Shirt.png
Complete Co-op

http://avatarawards.ninjasfate.com/w...Love_Shirt.png
Hug 3 friends in co-op

http://avatarawards.ninjasfate.com/w...rret_Shirt.png
Complete Test Chamber 10 in under 70 seconds

http://avatarawards.ninjasfate.com/w...rtal_2_Hat.png
Survive the manual override

And, last, but not least - Complete the Single Player Campaign:
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iAPvajnvMqc&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iAPvajnvMqc&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

pinata242 02-28-11 12:22 PM

Feelin' like a douche having 3 back-to-back-to-back posts over 2 weeks, but here are the achievements for the game: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/g.../achievements/

Am I the only one looking forward to this? :hscratch:

Groucho 02-28-11 12:25 PM

I'm looking forward to it, but I didn't want to break your douche-streak.

UncleGramps 02-28-11 12:27 PM

I'm looking forward to it. :shrug:

Decker 02-28-11 12:44 PM

Those avatar awards are nice, but can't trump the free Steam version that comes with the PS3 version. That's thee one I still plan to get.

UncleGramps 02-28-11 01:15 PM

While a free Steam version sounds cool, will you really play the same game on two different platforms? I think I'll get the 360 version so that I will have some co-op partners.

pinata242 02-28-11 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by UncleGramps (Post 10659621)
While a free Steam version sounds cool, will you really play the same game on two different platforms? I think I'll get the 360 version so that I will have some co-op partners.

:up:

That and I don't have a PC on which to play it.

pinata242 03-21-11 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 10638101)
Now available for pre-order

Amazon's is $54.99 with another $5 future credit.

Gamestop is $54.99 with some co-op skins or something that will probably sell for more than $5 on ebay to morans.

Amazon now with $20 future credit. For $35 net (depending on how you do your accounting), this is a no-brainer. Applies to all previous pre-orders.

http://amzn.to/gLXZOo

steebo777 03-22-11 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 10689338)
Amazon now with $20 future credit. For $35 net (depending on how you do your accounting), this is a no-brainer. Applies to all previous pre-orders.

http://amzn.to/gLXZOo

Perfect, I love using Amazon!

fumanstan 03-22-11 12:44 PM

D'oh, no credit for the PC version :sad:

foxdvd 03-22-11 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 10690528)
D'oh, no credit for the PC version :sad:

buy the ps3 version for 10 bucks more....get the 20 dollar credit...sell the ps3 version for at least 35 bucks day one...(or 27-30 at gamestop if you don't want to mess with online sales)

I don't know why anyone wanting the pc version would not do this...

fumanstan 03-22-11 12:52 PM

Based on the initial notice about it, you have to link a PSN and Steam account. I don't have a PS3 at all, so I wonder if there would be issues getting the free Steam copy? Seems like it might be potentially more complicated then just getting a code for the Steam download.

foxdvd 03-22-11 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 10690543)
Based on the initial notice about it, you have to link a PSN and Steam account. I don't have a PS3 at all, so I wonder if there would be issues getting the free Steam copy? Seems like it might be potentially more complicated then just getting a code for the Steam download.

make a psn account online and see if you can link them...or get someone here with a ps3 to do you a favor and set up another psn account for you...heck I'll do it for you with a generic password you can change later....

glassdragon 03-22-11 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by foxdvd (Post 10690541)
buy the ps3 version for 10 bucks more....get the 20 dollar credit...sell the ps3 version for at least 35 bucks day one...(or 27-30 at gamestop if you don't want to mess with online sales)

I don't know why anyone wanting the pc version would not do this...

You would still need access to a ps3. From what i understand you link and enter the code in game. So no ps3 would make the pc copy unusable

Ahh you got it already fox lol

foxdvd 03-22-11 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by glassdragon (Post 10690558)
You would still need access to a ps3. From what i understand you link and enter the code in game. So no ps3 would make the pc copy unusable

so you actually have to have the ps3 copy in and then link? I don't plan on buying the ps3 version, but I am sure someone here getting the ps3 version would make a quick generic psn account, and link it for you. I don't think it would take more than 10 minutes start to finish...once it is done, you can change your password...

I thought I read that they said you could give away your steam copy to a friend...that was sort of the selling point..in that case I don't see how you would need a ps3...

fumanstan 03-22-11 01:10 PM

I guess i'll wait and see, it still seems potentially complicated and im afraid of issues trying to work around the PSN stuff. To me, it's not worth the hassle.

glassdragon 03-22-11 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by foxdvd (Post 10690563)
so you actually have to have the ps3 copy in and then link? I don't plan on buying the ps3 version, but I am sure someone here getting the ps3 version would make a quick generic psn account, and link it for you. I don't think it would take more than 10 minutes start to finish...once it is done, you can change your password...

I thought I read that they said you could give away your steam copy to a friend...that was sort of the selling point..in that case I don't see how you would need a ps3...

It is my understanding that to get the pc version you MUST link your psn to your steam, so I assume the redemption will be in game hence needing the ps3

foxdvd 03-22-11 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by glassdragon (Post 10690605)
It is my understanding that to get the pc version you MUST link your psn to your steam, so I assume the redemption will be in game hence needing the ps3

since the pc and ps3 versions are compatible for coop...what is the point of having a free pc version?

glassdragon 03-22-11 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by foxdvd (Post 10690620)
since the pc and ps3 versions are compatible for coop...what is the point of having a free pc version?

So you can play it on a lappy when you are not at home, plus with cloud saves i hear you can use your ps3/pc saves interchangeably

Decker 03-22-11 02:39 PM

Plus for me, I can play it on the PC with the better graphics and K&M controls when I feel like it, or switch over and play on the big HDTV with a console if I prefer. For me, it's the best of both worlds. I would have liked the avatar items, and might enjoy doing online co-op on the 360. But the dual-system PS3 set up pushed me to that version instead.

Dan 03-23-11 10:40 AM

I'm a bit conflicted. I typically do all of my gaming on the 360, but I occasionally use Steam on my PC, which is a nice option, especially after buying the Humble Indie Bundles. I rarely use my PS3 for gaming anymore.

So, a 360 + Steam version would be far more useful for me, but that's obviously not going to happen unless I buy both the PS3+Steam copy and the 360 copy... which would be a lot of money to spend on one game. I could try to sell the PS3 copy after I've linked my PS3 and Steam accounts to get the Steam version installed on my PC, but I can't imagine that I'd get much for it at GameStop or wherever.

Actually... I think my best option is to buy the PS3 version on release day. Do what I need to do to get the Steam copy working, then sell the PS3 copy. I'll play the Steam copy to my heart's content until the 360 version gets a price drop. Win-win-win.

steebo777 03-24-11 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore (Post 10691767)
I'm a bit conflicted. I typically do all of my gaming on the 360, but I occasionally use Steam on my PC, which is a nice option, especially after buying the Humble Indie Bundles. I rarely use my PS3 for gaming anymore.

So, a 360 + Steam version would be far more useful for me, but that's obviously not going to happen unless I buy both the PS3+Steam copy and the 360 copy... which would be a lot of money to spend on one game. I could try to sell the PS3 copy after I've linked my PS3 and Steam accounts to get the Steam version installed on my PC, but I can't imagine that I'd get much for it at GameStop or wherever.

Actually... I think my best option is to buy the PS3 version on release day. Do what I need to do to get the Steam copy working, then sell the PS3 copy. I'll play the Steam copy to my heart's content until the 360 version gets a price drop. Win-win-win.

Why not just play it on the PS3 and avoid all the hassle?

msdmoney 03-24-11 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 10690717)
Plus for me, I can play it on the PC with the better graphics and K&M controls when I feel like it, or switch over and play on the big HDTV with a console if I prefer. For me, it's the best of both worlds. I would have liked the avatar items, and might enjoy doing online co-op on the 360. But the dual-system PS3 set up pushed me to that version instead.

Yep, I preordered the ps3 version from Amazon. I agree, it's the best of both worlds, I can play with KB&M plus better graphics on my pc, and also have the console version if I want to play on my tv. I would love for more games to go this way, having universal access (Steam + PSN for now) to the game regardless of what platform you bought it on. This is what Microsoft should have done years ago in transitioning XBOX Live to the PC with GFWL, with the Live Anywhere concepts. I just hope this is the start of something bigger in opening up the platforms, although that is probably an unrealistic wish.

Drexl 03-24-11 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by msdmoney (Post 10693938)
Yep, I preordered the ps3 version from Amazon. I agree, it's the best of both worlds, I can play with KB&M plus better graphics on my pc, and also have the console version if I want to play on my tv. I would love for more games to go this way, having universal access (Steam + PSN for now) to the game regardless of what platform you bought it on. This is what Microsoft should have done years ago in transitioning XBOX Live to the PC with GFWL, with the Live Anywhere concepts. I just hope this is the start of something bigger in opening up the platforms, although that is probably an unrealistic wish.

Yeah, it's unrealistic because obviously, you can give away or sell the version you don't want. In an age where publishers are fighting used game sales by including one-time use codes for online play and other stuff, I don't think they want to be giving away extra copies of games, same platform or not. Maybe they could tie the multiplayer to one person (through the Online Pass that EA is doing), but other than that, there's no way to stop someone else from using the extra copy.

On the other hand, the movie studios don't seem to mind giving away extra copies. Although, they don't cost as much when you compare the price of a new movie to a new game, so maybe they have less to lose.

Valve is in a better position to do this because they have an interest through Steam. I imagine that at least part of the reason they're doing this is to get a currently PS3-only gamer to create a Steam account on his PC, and while there he might consider buying more games. Most other publishers don't have that kind of thing, except EA which has their own digital store.

glassdragon 03-25-11 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by steebo777 (Post 10693230)
Why not just play it on the PS3 and avoid all the hassle?

This.

If you have both then why not?

Dan 03-25-11 10:52 AM

Just personal preference, really. The PS3 is in a different room, on a smaller TV, etc. etc. etc.
While the 360 and one of my PCs are in the main "home theatre" room.

Seriously, I'm probably just going to get the PS3 version and suck it up.

pinata242 03-28-11 01:15 PM

Aperture Investment Opportunity videos with Cave Johnson (J.K. Simmons):

#1 - Panels

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0qcED35LL8I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#2 - Bot Trust

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AZMSAzZ76EU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Supermallet 03-28-11 02:38 PM

Awesome.

glassdragon 03-28-11 09:02 PM

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/APAcU3YBhYc?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/APAcU3YBhYc?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

I am so looking forward to this game. I can't wait almost for 3 more weeks.