Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dead Space 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Dead Space 2

A tip for the flamethrower kills is to wait for the guys that are attached to the walls to spit out their "kids". You only need to use about 5-6 flamer fuel for each kill and you can just stand in a safe spot and flame one and wait for the next. Just don't kill the guy on the wall until after your trophy pops. I would carry about 3-4 cans of fuel at 75 each before starting this. I did this today and accumulated about 40 kills in ten minutes or so. You can also kill those swampy looking guys that break off into those hugger types and flame them as well as there are usually 5-6 of the huggers that come from them. I got the 2,500 limbs about halfway through my second playthrough. You can also cut the limbs off of dead necros as they will count towards your total.
Old 02-03-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

About the achievements and the count towards particular ones, you can check your trophies in game and it will tell you how many kills out of how many needed for the ones that require a certain number. It is nice that they did this so that you didn't have to guess as to how many you still needed for a particular trophy.
Old 02-03-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in a bad spot right now

I'm in Chapter 9 where
Spoiler:
you have to repair this gear thing using parts of the neighboring gears and another piece off on a shelf. I moved the shelf piece and put it in place when one of those "facehugger" things came up at me and I had to A-tap him off. Well, he took my health down to two little red bars. I finish up the puzzle and that creates a checkpoint.

Having next to no health, no medpacks, and practically no ammo I hit the button to advance the story and at least 2 of those super-slashers come out at me. I'm so totally fucked.

I promise, Dead Space Lords, if I can get to a store, I will stock up on ammo and medpacks! Just help me through this bit!

Normal is fucking hard! I should have started on superfro difficulty
Old 02-03-11, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 694 Posts

Could you re-start at your last save? There's a save point about every 10 minutes so you shouldn't lose much if you've been saving at each of them.
Old 02-03-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
I should have started on superfro difficulty
But you didn't and now you're fucked so lol @ you.

Did you try getting moar better?

Last edited by superfro; 02-03-11 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-03-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was saving up for my $40,000 Vintage Suit to be economically responsible by getting 10% off everything else. I will probably have to revert to an earlier save at this point.
Old 02-03-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was saving up for my $40,000 Vintage Suit to be economically responsible by getting 10% off everything else. I will probably have to revert to an earlier save at this point.
Seriously though..are you not able to get past the dudes at all, even with using stasis and what not? There's a stasis recharge in that room.
Old 02-03-11, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know, I tried three times, paused it and went to do other things. The first time they came in from the same side. The second and third times they each came in a different door.

I'm sure I can. Let me check my inventory...

Ok, I'm back, sorry to keep you waiting!

(Hacker) Force Gun - Ammo: 1
Seeker Rifle - Ammo: 7
(Refurb) Plasma Cutter - Ammo: 6
Pulse Rifle - Ammo: 0
Old 02-03-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,113 Likes on 681 Posts

Um...you better go superfro!
Old 02-03-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There, I did it. This time I ran over to the railing where one was climbing up, stasis him and shot off one arm so he fell with my cutter. Turned around, stasised the second one and then full-charge Force Gunned him to bits.

Now I don't know what's ahead of me and I have less ammo! Though I did get 25 pulse rounds from the second guy (first fell out of range).

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Um...you better go superfro!
Nah, I have a penis. I'll just do a better job of buying supplies!
Old 02-03-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nah, I have a penis.
To be fair, so do I. Three of them. In my freezer.
Old 02-03-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mmmm... Penisicles

Got through the next area with no problem until the very end. One of those stupid wall-clinger things and I didn't have anything powerful enough to one-shot it.

By the way, I love the Stalkers. They're so much fun!
Old 02-03-11, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,266 Likes on 844 Posts

I'd love to play this game but I've been stuck in the same room in the first Dead Space for a year.
Old 02-03-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I cannot get the My Boom Stick trophy to pop no matter what. I've killed well over 6 enemies at once using the Line Gun's Explosive Mine and I just can't seem to get it to unlock. Any advice?
Old 02-03-11, 06:41 PM

Unlimited Power Nodes glitch (Chapter 14)

Spoiler:

"This was done on normal difficulty and the room that replenishes the items requires a power node for access.

The Save Station in the is located on Chapter 14 after the anti-gravity section. Shortly after
Spoiler:
sticking your eye with needle, you'll be chased by the necromorph that doesn't die.
You'll eventually reach the anti-gravity section. After you pass the anti gravity section, you go through two doors and on your right will be a door requiring a power node for access. This is room that replenishing the items. You'll find the Save Station two more doors if you head left from that T intersection.

Steps (read description above to locate starting point):
1. Unlock the door with a power node. Title above door: 6: Secure Storage, Power Node Access Only ** UPDATE 2/1: You should be able to collect the items from this room **
2. Advance through two more doors to reach a Store, Bench, and Save Station.
3. Save at Save Station after the anti-gravity section on Chapter 14.
4. Reload the save point by quitting to main menu ** UPDATE 2/1: Alternative: Reload the save point by choosing "Restart Checkpoint" **
5. Back track to the anti-gravity area (most of time you can go directly to the room). Once you get back to the anti-gravity area, go back through the last two doors and go into the room on your right. This is the room that required a power node to open. Inside this room is where I find either 2 power nodes, 1 ruby semiconductor, and/or 3k credit.
6. Go back to Save Station and save the game.
7. Repeat steps 4-6

NOTE: if you start finding only credits in the room, try going all the way back to the switch in the antigravity area, then go to the room. Doing this has reset the 2 power nodes for me."

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nu1-nH7pA7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 02-03-11, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I cannot get the My Boom Stick trophy to pop no matter what. I've killed well over 6 enemies at once using the Line Gun's Explosive Mine and I just can't seem to get it to unlock. Any advice?
The little crawly things don't count.
Old 02-03-11, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I'm in a bad spot right now

I'm in Chapter 9 where
Spoiler:
you have to repair this gear thing using parts of the neighboring gears and another piece off on a shelf. I moved the shelf piece and put it in place when one of those "facehugger" things came up at me and I had to A-tap him off. Well, he took my health down to two little red bars. I finish up the puzzle and that creates a checkpoint.

Having next to no health, no medpacks, and practically no ammo I hit the button to advance the story and at least 2 of those super-slashers come out at me. I'm so totally fucked.

I promise, Dead Space Lords, if I can get to a store, I will stock up on ammo and medpacks! Just help me through this bit!

Normal is fucking hard! I should have started on superfro difficulty

Heh, looks like you deserve to die.
Old 02-03-11, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Heh, looks like you deserve to die.
Well, I just finished it. It was stressful as all hell. I'm really questioning whether I want to try for Zealot, let alone Hard Core. The last two/two-and-a-half chapters were just run-run-run.

Truth be told, I really didn't understand wtf was going on most of the time. That's probably what kept me from getting too invested.

Spoiler:
I mean, every time Nicole would appear, I would have no idea what she was saying. I could make out some of it, but it was just too garbled for me to understand. But Isaac would respond like I was supposed to hear it. Strauss too, for that matter.

Whatever, the story is secondary, right?
Old 02-04-11, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Truth be told, I really didn't understand wtf was going on most of the time. That's probably what kept me from getting too invested.

Spoiler:
I mean, every time Nicole would appear, I would have no idea what she was saying. I could make out some of it, but it was just too garbled for me to understand. But Isaac would respond like I was supposed to hear it. Strauss too, for that matter.

Whatever, the story is secondary, right?
Spoiler:

I know right. It's a bummer. I really really like the mythology that they have created for the Dead Space world. Unfortunately, a lot of the story gets lost in DS2 because stuff is either hard to hear coming from Nicole or is just plain convoluted. It took me my second playthrough to finally understand the needle/eye thing as being the trigger to unlock the marker related codes in Isaac's head. (And BTW....WTF on that needle shit!!!!!)

I really want to know more about Unitology and the Markers and what exactly is going on. It's crazy to me there are so many other outlets for the game that serve as cannon to the story of the Dead Space universe. 2 regular games, a console exclusive game (prior to the PS3 version), two movies, two comic series, and a book. All in 2 years. I can't think of another IP that started as a game and is spread across that much varied media where they are all essentially placed in a chronological order and carry over story elements. It awesome if you want to immerse yourself, but it means that you really can't just play DS and DS2 and understand everything that's going on. Not to mention they don't spell out things intentionally in order to keep the story going. I think I would like to read the Martyr book though as that seems to deal 100% with the founding of Unitology and the finding of the first Marker on Earth.
Old 02-04-11, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 408 Likes on 308 Posts

Too bad there's not a way for you guys to see what they are saying. You know like somehow their voices appear as text on the screen. If EA had only put that option in there.
Old 02-04-11, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So a game that prides itself on its audio design should require subtitles to understand borderline unintelligible lines of dialogue that concern plot?
Old 02-04-11, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Turning subtitles on is always the very first thing I do when starting a new game, so I didn't really notice those issues. For that matter, I do the same for movies, even English-language ones. But that's just me. I've always had issues understanding dialogue when it's mixed in with any background sound, which is almost always the case nowadays in both movies and games.

Isn't most of what she says just a lot of "MAKE US WHOLE" and similar silliness until later in the game anyway?
Old 02-04-11, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, seeing all of the dialogue in this game displayed on-screen -- twice -- didn't really help clarify the story for me anyway.
Old 02-04-11, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't have an issue with subtitles as a concept, I just didn't know they'd be necessary until about half-way through. And by then, I really didn't care.

As superfro said, though, this game is all about ambiance and sound placement. Everything else worked well. I'm just confused why they intentionally obfuscated that stuff to the audience, but not the cast.
Old 02-04-11, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Also, seeing all of the dialogue in this game displayed on-screen -- twice -- didn't really help clarify the story for me anyway.
Same here, though I didn't play with the subtitles on for my first play through. Biggest wtf moment in the story though...

Spoiler:
Isaac seeing the new marker and saying "I built this"...WHAT!? They used the eye/needle thing to get the "marker codes" from his brain and those were somehow used to build a new marker? Even on my second play through with the subtitles on, I feel like this isn't explained well at all. The whole "convergence"/"make us whole" thing doesn't make any sense to me either.

Bottom line, this is a fantastic series of games that's being held down by a totally lackluster and undeveloped story.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.