Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dead Space 2

Old 02-01-11, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dead Space 2

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
^^^One of many reasons why I think Hardcore is really more of a waste of time than an actual fun experience. They should have allowed at least one save per chapter or make you start at the beginning of the chapter you're on if you die.
And probably the reason I won't do it. I seriously don't need that shit.
Old 02-01-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by superfro
And probably the reason I won't do it. I seriously don't need that shit.
What I like about it is the added anxiety. I've already finished the game 3 times, but when playing on hardcore my heart is pounding the whole time.
Old 02-01-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by 19K
What I like about it is the added anxiety. I've already finished the game 3 times, but when playing on hardcore my heart is pounding the whole time.
Early death due to video game induced stress = check!
Old 02-01-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yup, I'm pretty much done with hardcore mode at this point. Interesting idea, I suppose, but the restrictions and time investment are a bit too absurd in this day and age. I think I'm taking the "life's too short" approach to shit like this from now on.

Now, if someone manages to decipher the cheat codes and those provide some assistance, I might be tempted to try again.
Old 02-01-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Yup, I'm pretty much done with hardcore mode at this point. Interesting idea, I suppose, but the restrictions and time investment are a bit too absurd in this day and age. I think I'm taking the "life's too short" approach to shit like this from now on.

Now, if someone manages to decipher the cheat codes and those provide some assistance, I might be tempted to try again.
I'd be down with a little "assistance" to make it easier. Hell, I would give it a shot if they gave you the one save per chapter or repeat a chapter approach.
Old 02-01-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still playing on Normal, I died hundreds of times in chapter 10, LOL!

I'm at the start of Chapter 12, I think I've read that the last chapters are hard, is that true?

I may play again in Zealot with all the upgrades and weapons, but hardcore? No way!
Old 02-01-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
I'm at the start of Chapter 12, I think I've read that the last chapters are hard, is that true?
I definitely find the last 1/4 of the game to be a lot more difficult if only because of sheer numbers alone. Things get nuts.
Old 02-01-11, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still on Chapter 3
Old 02-01-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I'm still on Chapter 3
Aren't you literally trapped in your house? You could finish that shit today!
Old 02-01-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not like I leave any other time anyway. Unlike the rest of the world, I don't get snow days because I'm always here anyway. #FirstWorldProblems
Old 02-01-11, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aren't you literally trapped in your house? You could finish that shit today!
Trapped in our houses is an understatement. I don't think that my co-workers and I will be going back to school anytime soon.
Old 02-01-11, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Trapped in our houses is an understatement. I don't think that my co-workers and I will be going back to school anytime soon.
We are not trapped together or anything.
Old 02-01-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We are not trapped together or anything.
Methinks you doth protest too much. You can be honest with us - we are an open, non-judgmental community here.
Old 02-01-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now you know why Dead Space hasn't got my full attention
Old 02-01-11, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, those of you with first-hand experience, was it determined that Hard Core is actually closer to Normal in difficulty but for the saves?
Old 02-01-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, those of you with first-hand experience, was it determined that Hard Core is actually closer to Normal in difficulty but for the saves?
Normal-level enemy health/damage, zealot-level ammo drops.
Old 02-01-11, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 433 Likes on 323 Posts

I finished it on casual in just under 11 hours. I thought it was a fun ride, and started a new playthrough on Zealot. But I definitely don't look forward to the last few chapters again.

Is it just me or did
Spoiler:
Nicole seem more like an annoying pyscho ex than some killer alien spirit out to kill you? I was tired of her by chapter 3
Old 02-02-11, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Normal-level enemy health/damage, zealot-level ammo drops.
That's about right, although it may be slightly above Normal level damage cuz some of the enemies in the first few chapters take at least 3-4 shots to kill. I don't remember it taking that many when I did the Normal playthrough. Either way, it's definitely not as difficult as zealot level... only for the ammo drops. I think the hardest thing about it is starting with nothing. And since the drops aren't as plentiful, you're not making the money needed to buy new weapons/suits/etc. What little money I collect usually goes to buying rounds.

Also, I don't like that it drops ammo for weapons you don't have. For instance, I didn't even pick up the Pulse Rifle schematic because I knew I wouldn't use it, yet the enemies still drop the pulse rounds. That part is frustrating especially when ammo is in such short supply.
Old 02-02-11, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,292 Likes on 791 Posts

Sounds like you need to run thru every difficulty including Easy and stockpile ammo before you consider making a run at Hardcore. I guess then you might have every upgraded weapon and as many slot as possible and just switch your weapons back and forth from your safe as you need to.

Does any else hate having to stomp corpses and shit you just killed for ammo and money? It's enough that you have to kill mutant kids and babies but then you have to go and stomp on their corpses as well. Ugh.

I love this game and it is actually making me want to revisit the original release again. I only half paid attention during the first one as far as ammo drops, placing proper nodes, upgrading shit and actually selling the semi-conductors and exploring areas. (actually, was more than halfway thru the original before I even realized what the semi-conductors were for [extra cash by the way] and forgot about using stasis most of the time.)

By the way, my guide (I bought the LE guide) states that you get a special bonus if you completely upgrade your stasis first but it doesn't say what it is. Anyone know?
Old 02-02-11, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree that having things you just killed not dropping their goods when they die. When they pop as you kill them, it's nice to know they're actually dead. Stomping after that means I'm spending more time checking and double-checking the room that it's cleaned out. Which I guess is fine for the tone of the game.

Not that it's really a big deal since I'm used to stomping the shit out of every dead body when I come into a room.

Another question about Hard Core mode: I read on another site that you don't get a NG+ option when starting it up so that you have to start fresh? Is that true? Everything I remember reading here said the opposite.
Old 02-02-11, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another question about Hard Core mode: I read on another site that you don't get a NG+ option when starting it up so that you have to start fresh? Is that true? Everything I remember reading here said the opposite.
That is correct. There is no NG+ option on Hard Core. If only there were! Then again, I don't think it could rightly be called Hard Core in that case, since it would mostly be a breeze when using certain fully-upgraded weapons.

Just out of curiosity, what contradicted that here?

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Sounds like you need to run thru every difficulty including Easy and stockpile ammo before you consider making a run at Hardcore. I guess then you might have every upgraded weapon and as many slot as possible and just switch your weapons back and forth from your safe as you need to.
See above. You can't stockpile ammo for a Hard Core run because you must start fresh on a Hard Core run, with nothing in your inventory and no upgrades.
Old 02-02-11, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just out of curiosity, what contradicted that here?
Probably assumptions before anyone actually got to it. I have a tendency to skim posts when I get behind in a game as to not be spoiled.
Old 02-02-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Part of my issue with Hardcore is the limit of saves. The other part is having to start all over to do it and not being able to go in all beefed up and stockpiled. I don't think I specifically said that aspect though, so maybe I caused confusion.
Old 02-02-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Part of my issue with Hardcore is the limit of saves. The other part is having to start all over to do it and not being able to go in all beefed up and stockpiled. I don't think I specifically said that aspect though, so maybe I caused confusion.
No, I just read through the thread, and it was at least heavily implied that a Hardcore run should me much easier because you could NG+ it. So the fact that you can't is a surprise to me.
Old 02-02-11, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe people are confusing Zealot with Hard Core? The Zealot run is a lot easier when done with a NG+.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.