Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Gears of War 3 thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Official Gears of War 3 thread

Not arguing that, but I don't see it as a "fuck you". Lowering the DLC instead of the pass makes it about a wash, though, right?

If people want to complain, complain about the CoD deals that were at least two titles old. There was no MW3 or Black Ops deals, right?

Jesus, it's obviously a no-win situation for them by these arguments...
Old 01-03-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, I don't recall any CoD bundles outside of the Zombie map pack in the Black Ops LE.

Originally Posted by pinata242
Again, you're overlooking that Gears 2 did a bundle, it was just after they were all released so this isn't really even new ground for the franchise, let alone gaming in general. Call of Duty has done this before as well, right?
I'm specifically talking about the "spend $30 and get unknown content at a later date" deal which is still finding its footing.

Bundling DLC after release is a different ball of wax, IMO.
Old 01-03-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's still a bargain for fans of any franchise. If you've been buying everything anyway, the 25% day-one deal is gonna get you. Until it burns you which I haven't got that impression from anyone yet.

It's like how many albums of a band have to be underwhelming before you stop buying the next one automatically?
Old 01-03-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's like how many albums of a band have to be underwhelming before you stop buying the next one automatically?
Nothing but Queensryche is coming to mind for this question.
Old 01-03-12, 02:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Activision is terrible when it comes to reducing DLC prices, there are some CoD 2 map packs that are still full price.

If I remember correctly CoD 2 was a 360 launch title.
Old 01-03-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Nothing but Queensryche is coming to mind for this question.
But you understand what I'm saying with that analogy, the "b(r)and loyalty".
Old 01-03-12, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes CoD2 was a launch title, and sure enough one of the map packs is still 800 points.
Old 01-03-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

But you understand what I'm saying with that analogy, the "b(r)and loyalty".
Oh yeah. I don't think anyone got burned. If someone thought it was a deal at $30 then it was a deal, period. It doesn't matter what drops may happen later. It's no different than buying a new game on release week and seeing it $10 cheaper a week later.

The only way I see getting burned on these "mystery DLC passes" is if the game or initial DLC sales aren't quite what a company wanted and either abandon future DLC, or just rush out some half-ass shit just to say they put it out for season pass holders. Then yeah, you're getting fucked.

What they could do to lessen the blow back is offer season pass holders the content a 7-10 days earlier than stand-alone DLC purchasers.
Old 01-03-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right, but you can't expect that at this point is all I'm saying. They have to under-deliver once or twice for that brand loyalty to be questioned later. No one is going to jump on a Season Pass for $30 if they don't see it as a value because they're going to get everything already as soon as it's available.

The people that bought it pre-sale wanted it because they knew it was a value to them. The people like me that got it discounted were on the fence, obviously. Everyone who still passed then weren't as enticed by even that deeper discount and will either wait for a better sale downline or perhaps a disc-based bundle.
Old 01-03-12, 03:40 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The people that bought it pre-sale wanted it because they knew it was a value to them.
there are people in other threads that seem a little upset that bought this early....

Some people who bought the pass early did so thinking they got a better deal than would be available to anyone else...at least until all the dlc is out. There is no way hundreds of thousands of people bought this and all think the way you do. This pre sale dlc is all new...so they are learning the best way to get the most money...

I did not buy it, but if I did I would think I got screwed...and I would not be the only one...and I am sure a lot of people that bought it don't care.
Old 01-03-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a stupid fucking argument. You buy things when you're comfortable with the cost. Just because it goes on sale later doesn't give you the right to piss and moan. Does that somehow devalue getting to play the FIRST 50% of the content before it went on sale? Nope.

It'll be even cheaper in the future. Will it be after the full package is realized? Sure. What if it's the same day as the final package comes out? The next day? The next week? When is the "premium" (which is a ridiculous concept on an already-discounted package) cost fully depreciated so that people stop crying or do they simply not understand the basic economics of time/value/opportunity?
Old 01-03-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The season pass was already reduced, compared to the "normal" price. You were able to play it 3/4 of the DLC first too, compared to anyone that bought the deal.

So I don't think too bad about this deal, it was just for one day, right?
Old 01-03-12, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also think that if you wait enough, you'll be able to buy the DLC separately cheaper than the season pass.

Most DLC has weeks of 50% off or something like that.
Old 01-03-12, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Just because it goes on sale later doesn't give you the right to piss and moan.
I'm pretty sure the internet gives everyone the right to piss and moan.
Old 01-03-12, 10:15 PM
gamer for life

It's a stupid fucking argument. You buy things when you're comfortable with the cost. Just because it goes on sale later doesn't give you the right to piss and moan.
how old are you again?
Old 01-03-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Too fucking old and tired for this crap anymore.
Old 01-03-12, 10:20 PM
gamer for life

as I stated I did not buy this...

When this came out it was very clear that if you pre ordered it you would be getting a value. Since the full product has not been release yet....yes...I do think it is rotten that they are already lowing the cost. Since this is really the first time they are trying this, I think now IS the time to talk about it....I have every right to "piss and moan" about it because I don't think it good for consumers for them to do this.

I am sorry it upsets you so much...I am actually surprised it upsets you so much...
Old 01-03-12, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just do not understand how it's no longer a value.

You said they're lowering the cost. Are they? Is there something fundamental I've missed here besides the 1-day sale?

I'm upset because as far as I know no one has this argument. No one here has spoken up about it. You have, but you haven't bought in so it doesn't affect you either way. If anything you're waiting for a greater discount later so you should love the idea that this will get cheaper faster. On top of that you're referencing other people in other internet lands that are complaining but bringing no objective argument to light. You're not providing a story. There's no context.

Then you essentially call me a child where the irony is the people that would be complaining about such things are likely children or immature or just too dumb to be trusted with their parents' own money.

So, not only do I not understand the issue, I don't know anyone with the issue, yet the issue is called an issue by a bystander.
Old 01-03-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm too tired and cranky to have this discussion anymore. I'm going to bed but I'm going to leave my view on this and people in general.

People have a hard time blaming themselves. In this case, people bought in on what was a good value then got mad when the value got a little better before their value was fully realized. Does that mean they got a bum deal? No. They got weeks of play that others didn't.

I bought in on the 1-day sale and who knows when I'll ever play it. If it gets cheaper before I do, I will not be mad at Microsoft or Epic, I will be mad at myself for either a) not taking advantage of the time I had it or b) not realizing I wasn't dying for the product at the time I bought it and just waiting or resisting outright or c) all of the above.

People need to take responsibility for their own decisions and quit crying foul all the time.
Old 01-03-12, 10:55 PM
gamer for life

I am not going to link to multiple threads about people complaining about this...there is...maybe it is a minority....but it is out there...on cheapassgamer...neogaf...ect...

You have, but you haven't bought in so it doesn't affect you either way.
I play games....I buy games....I buy dlc....there is a new business model for dlc...it is called season pass...

you don't think this affect me? ???? Of course it does! I have every right to have a say about that. I did purchase the last dlc for Gears...so I am never going to get the season pass now...but to act like I can't say that them releasing a season pass and then lowering the cost before all the content is out is bad...???

I did not tell anyone that their idea is stupid. I understand that some people don't care. I understand that some think this is good business...I may be in the minority....but it does NOT devalue my argument. I have every right to make that argument without being told my idea is stupid.

I stand by what I say...I purchased the season pass or what ever it was called for LA Noire....and it has since gone on sale...and I did not even blink. I just have a problem with them lowering something before it is all the way out. I understand that part of it already is...but as I already said those parts are available separately..I look at this "pass" as one product...I honestly think that they are making a mistake actually....business wise...and I may be wrong...I may be off...but it is my right to think that....
Old 01-03-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the record, I saw plenty of bitching about the season pass price drop on various forums from people who had bought it earlier.

Also for the record, I bought the season pass on day one and haven't bitched about the sale. I was surprised that there was a sale so quickly, and before all the content was out, and I probably wouldn't do it over again if I had known that would happen. Lesson learned for future reference. But I knew full well when I made the purchase that the content would eventually be available for a drastically lower price, and that I was paying a premium to play earlier. That's the way it works.

I also think it's no great sin at this point in the game to question the way things are done. I don't really understand the "defend the system unto death!" mentality that a lot of people seem to have in response to any complaints or concerns about the direction in which things are headed.

In other words, chill the fuck out everyone!
Old 01-03-12, 11:19 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Also for the record, I bought the season pass on day one and haven't bitched about the sale. I was surprised that there was a sale so quickly, and before all the content was out, and I probably wouldn't do it over again if I had known that would happen. Lesson learned for future reference. !
so it does seem to be a bad business move on their part...if I had bought the season pass the thing is I really would not be THAT upset...but I would have said to myself "never again" only to do it again probably lol

from this thread on xbox.com you can see that while some of the arguments are not that good...there are others who also say they will never buy a season pass again..

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/x.../t/173493.aspx

Right or wrong some people felt they were not treated fairly on this...and I think it hurt what could be a VERY good business model for dlc..
Old 01-04-12, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
go in and load a single level...then scroll through each act and see if you have credit for finishing it..if one is missing go into that act and see which chapter you are missing...
Sure enough, they don't show me as having completed the fucking prologue. I'll play it tomorrow with my best friend so we both can unlock the achievements doe both completing the game and doing the whole game in co-op.
I do appreciate the suggestion. Nice to know that I'll be able to get credit for the campaign soon
Old 01-04-12, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker
Sure enough, they don't show me as having completed the fucking prologue.
Awesome.
Old 01-04-12, 08:27 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by Decker
Sure enough, they don't show me as having completed the fucking prologue. I'll play it tomorrow with my best friend so we both can unlock the achievements doe both completing the game and doing the whole game in co-op.
I do appreciate the suggestion. Nice to know that I'll be able to get credit for the campaign soon
good news...and the shortest level in the game...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.