Official Gears of War 3 thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-12, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Gears of War 3 thread

Fenix Rising Achievements:
Originally Posted by Epic
•Now They Begin to Understand – Complete 12 waves of Beast on all Fenix Rising Maps. (20 points)
•Defending the Past – Complete all 50 waves of Horde on any of the Fenix Rising Maps. (25 points)
•Come to Poppa – Win a Versus multiplayer match as a team of five Recruit Claytons (any mode). (15 points)
•Locust, Forever – Win a Versus multiplayer match as a team of five Savage Marauders (any mode). (15 points)
•Time to Re-up – Achieve level 100 and choose to re-up for another tour of duty. (50 points)
•Again! – Achieve level 100 a second time and choose to re-up for another tour of duty. (50 points)
•I’ve Done it All! – Earn at least one of each of the original 132 combat ribbons. (75 points)
So I guess Seriously 3.0 isn't the only achievement I won't be getting in the game, unless 30x XP events become the norm.
Old 01-06-12, 12:28 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I just have a problem with them lowering something before it is all the way out. I understand that part of it already is...but as I already said those parts are available separately..I look at this "pass" as one product...
How I feel as well. I think of it in a DVD analogy... It's like as if you preordered a batch of DVDs and they charged your card immediately, before anything shipped, then dropped the prices on the not-yet-released DVDs and told you there will be no refunds/cancellations. I don't really see how this is that much different than the situation which initially sparked the whole Avenger controller debacle (discount given to late preorderers but denied the early ones).
Old 01-06-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Except in your analogies nothing has been delivered yet...

It's closer to getting to a baseball game or a concert late and not having to pay full price to get in. I may miss the first few innings or songs, but that doesn't mean I can't get caught up on the action.
Old 01-06-12, 12:46 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Except in your analogies nothing has been delivered yet...

It's closer to getting to a baseball game or a concert late and not having to pay full price to get in. I may miss the first few innings or songs, but that doesn't mean I can't get caught up on the action.
both analogies are off though...because like you said nothing has been delivered yet with the dvds...but with a game or concert you missed some of it and you don't get to experience that music or lost innings...just updated on what you missed...
Old 01-06-12, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right, I just said it was closer I'm sure I was getting updates on my phone as I was trying to get to the game. And the concert, I probably already have the songs I missed.

You need to get into my head a little better!
Old 01-10-12, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know not debating over the season pass is probably off topic now, but I was running through a second time on hardcore, and goddamn is the last boss fight awful. I imagine getting your junk mauled by a pit bull is probably more enjoyable than this mess. Great game ruined by pure anti-fun right at the end.
Old 01-11-12, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Helpful video showing how to back up all your game data, including rank and unlocks, to the cloud:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5F6ODna_PuM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's a very good idea to do this every now and then. Just as with Gears 2, the Epic forums contain a wealth of threads started by people who have experienced rank resets in this game due to corrupted save data.
Old 01-11-12, 08:46 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atxbomber
I know not debating over the season pass is probably off topic now, but I was running through a second time on hardcore, and goddamn is the last boss fight awful. I imagine getting your junk mauled by a pit bull is probably more enjoyable than this mess. Great game ruined by pure anti-fun right at the end.
Wait until you try it on Insane. Actually there were about 5 or 6 sections on Insane that were just as tough as the final battle, and they were areas that gave me little problem on Normal.
Old 01-19-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

So after two weeks with the game, I think Gears 3 is the first game I would consider buying cheat codes for.

I'm hooked on Horde mode, haven't touched the campaign and have zero interest in MP. That being said, I'm never going to hunt down special medals in the other modes just to unlock cheats for Horde. It's one thing to have un-lockable cheats tied to the mode you are playing, but to tie Horde un-lockables to the other 2/3rds of the game sucks.

Oh, and the cost of weapon skins? $45? Epic is out of their fucking mind.
Old 01-19-12, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what kind of cheats would you buy?
Old 01-19-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Mutators
Old 01-19-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you play a private game with someone who's already unlocked the mutators, you can use them that way. None of them are exclusively for Horde -- they can be used in the campaign (Arcade mode) as well. I've barely played any versus MP and I have most of them unlocked.

You should try Beast mode, it's fun too.

Agree about the weapon skins. I have a feeling from everything I've seen and read that those didn't sell very well at all, and I'm glad.
Old 01-19-12, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Problem is that all my friends are in the same boat. I guess I need to look into them more. I thought most were MP related unlocks.
Old 01-19-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why not run through the campaign with all your same-boat friends?
Old 01-20-12, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This reminds me, I still need to beat the final 5 waves to unlock the achievement. Anyone else still need to run through horde mode? Hit me up if so.
Old 01-20-12, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So, 3/13 are un-lockable in Horde. Not terrible, but I'd rather drop 400 spacebucks to unlock 'em.

Unlockable Mutators

Horde
Big Head: In Horde Mode, unlock the Gold Horder medal. Unlock this medal by completeing 1,000 waves.
Infinite Ammo: In Horde Mode, unlock the Combat Engineer ribbon 100 times. During a round build, repair, or upgrade five fortifications to unlock this ribbon.

Beast
Pinata: In Beast Mode, unlock the Gold Investor medal. Unlock this medal by collecting 500,000 tokens.
Instagib Melee: In Beast Mode, play as a Wretch and score 200 kills.

Campaign
Flower Blood: In Arcade Mode, unlock the Silver King of Cog medal. To unlock this medal, earn 2 million points in Arcade Mode.
Enemy Regeneration: In Arcade Mode, unlock the Silver Afficianado medal. To unlock this medal, play 150 chapters in Arcade mode.
Friendly Fire: In Co-op Campaign, complete the co-op campaign with four players.

Versus
Comet: In Versus Mode, unlock the Gold Shock Trooper medal. Unlock the First Blood ribbon 1,000 times. To unlock the First Blood ribbon, get the first kill in a round.
Super Reload: In Versus Mode, unlock the Bronze Master at Arms medal. Unlock this medal by scoring 100 kills with all five of the starting primary and secondary weapons.
Vampire: In Versus Mode, unlock the Executioner ribbon 100 times. To unlock this ribbon, score the most executions in a round online.

General
Laugh Track: Unlock the Bronze Tour of Duty, For the Horde, I’m a Beast, and Warmonger medals. Unlock Tour of Duty by completing the Campaign mode on casual. Unlock For the Horde by completing all 50 waves on casual. Unlock I’m a Beast by completing every wave without failing on casual. Unlock Warmonger by completing Arcade mode on casual.
Big Explosions: In any mode, unlock the Hail Mary ribbon 100 times. To unlock this ribbon, use the Boomshot and score kills from over 200ft.
Must Active Reload: Unlock the Silver Active Reloader medal. To get this medal, perform 2,500 perfect reloads.
No Ammo Pick-ups: Available at start.
Headless Chicken: Available at start.
Old 01-20-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you really want to encourage game companies to convert even more in-game unlockables into paid-for content?

For what it's worth, all the requirements in the Versus modes for unlockables, ribbons, and medals can be met in private offline matches against Casual-difficulty bots.
Old 01-20-12, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Do you really want to encourage game companies to convert even more in-game unlockables into paid-for content?
I thought we were long past that anyway. I just think it's kinda silly that things like these modes are locked behind ridiculous challenges when all these type things used to just be cheat codes.

Oh well, no biggie.

Originally Posted by MoviePage
For what it's worth, all the requirements in the Versus modes for unlockables, ribbons, and medals can be met in private offline matches against Casual-difficulty bots.
Good to know.
Old 01-20-12, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Why not run through the campaign with all your same-boat friends?
This.

And campaign is a lot of fun, specially with a team.
Old 01-20-12, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Double XP this weekend. It's live now and runs through 9:00 AM EST Monday.
Old 02-03-12, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Started the campaign with 3 friends. Good stuff.

Finally tried Beast mode. Pretty cool. Seems like it has limited re-playability unless you are a stat whore.

And decided to give MP a spin last night. Good to see the same shotgun bullshit going on that was rampant two games ago. I had zero expectation of winning going in, but what a friggin bore with everyone just running around shotgunning each other. I was good after one round. Quit out and lost 2,000xp.
Old 02-03-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Again MP is a lot of fun with friends too. Really hard for some, like in my case, and that's why mostly play horde, but that's the best advice.

When you are done with the standard campaign try Arcade, it's a lot of fun too, specially if you use some mutators.
Old 02-04-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Completed HORDE on INSANE today with my nephew and friend. Now we're gonna try ARCADE on INSANE.
Old 02-04-12, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Raul3
Again MP is a lot of fun with friends too. Really hard for some, like in my case, and that's why mostly play horde, but that's the best advice.
I was playing with 2 friends. We all quit out.
Old 02-04-12, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished gears 1 tonight and might start 2 tonight. Have 3 on the way from gohastings when they had it for 14 bucks shipped.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.