Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official PS3 thread - Aaaaannnnnnddddd we're back!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-01-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope Heavy Rain lives up to my unrealistic expectations.
Old 01-01-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Official PS3 thread - resolutions are meant to be broken

Same. I really want Heavy Rain to be excellent.
Old 01-01-10, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PS3 Media Server is turning out to be my best download of recent memory. I configured the settings now so that I can stream 720P files over my wireless network without any stuttering or audio drop outs.

Also surprised how easy it is to turn my Blu-ray discs into .mkv files. Now I can leave them in the home theater room and still watch them whenever I want in our bedroom on the 720P TV.

And thanks to this great utility, the XMB looks really sharp.

Old 01-01-10, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Speaking of Heavy Rain, Amazon informed me today that my preorder has an official date of January 2012. So maybe next year's new year thread can discuss our expectations.
Old 01-01-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just found out about Heavy Rain the other day, looks incredible. Definitely looking forward to it along with Gran Turismo 5.
Old 01-02-10, 06:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just noticed Wing Commander IV is available on PSN... is it worth the $6?
Old 01-02-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
PS3 Media Server is turning out to be my best download of recent memory. I configured the settings now so that I can stream 720P files over my wireless network without any stuttering or audio drop outs.

Also surprised how easy it is to turn my Blu-ray discs into .mkv files. Now I can leave them in the home theater room and still watch them whenever I want in our bedroom on the 720P TV.

And thanks to this great utility, the XMB looks really sharp.

I installed PS3 media server this weekend. I didn't play with too many settings, except adding my folders. Anything I should do to tweak the settings? I'm assuming you need a BD drive in your CPU to "rip" your own Blu-Ray discs, correct? I love having my physical discs, but sometimes I don't want to get off my couch....that is interesting concept.
Old 01-02-10, 09:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I installed PS3 media server this weekend. I didn't play with too many settings, except adding my folders. Anything I should do to tweak the settings? I'm assuming you need a BD drive in your CPU to "rip" your own Blu-Ray discs, correct? I love having my physical discs, but sometimes I don't want to get off my couch....that is interesting concept.
I changed "Transcoding Settings" -> "Audio Settings" -> "Number of Audio Channels" to 2-Stereo. I don't have a surround system in my bedroom so I don't need the 5.1 streamed.

I also changed the "Video Quality Settings" to * Medium quality for HD Wifi Transcoding *.

As for ripping - yes you need a BD drive. Beyond that, I'm not DVDTalk would allow any discussion. I also lower the resolution to 720P (don't have a 1080P set in the bedroom) so that help with the streaming. Don't think I could get acceptable results with 1080P files.
Old 01-02-10, 07:17 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

My resolution is not to buy a PS3 in 2010 even though I really really want one. I already have a Wii and a 360 and I don't have time to play all the cool games on those systems, so I won't buy a PS3 ... even though Uncharted and Little Big Planet and God of War all look so good.

Let's see if I can keep this resolution.
Old 01-02-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
My resolution is not to buy a PS3 in 2010 even though I really really want one. I already have a Wii and a 360 and I don't have time to play all the cool games on those systems, so I won't buy a PS3 ... even though Uncharted and Little Big Planet and God of War all look so good.

Well, come back to this thread next year when you finally get one.
Old 01-02-10, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts

My resolution is to get through Ratchet & Clank: Crack in Time, Uncharted 2 and some of the GoW Collection.
Old 01-02-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started Uncharted 2 (I'm at the train level) and this is a great game. So good in fact that I'd call it a system seller. Sony had the UC1 bundle, I wonder if we'll see a UC2 bundle?
Old 01-02-10, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nemein
If you liked the Wing Commander games the answer's yes.

But when I bought my copy of IV for the PS1, I also had a code for invincibility so ended up just plowing through all the big ships and destroying them outright.

There's a LOT of capital ships/stations you need to destroy just by yourself.
Old 01-03-10, 01:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Well, come back to this thread next year when you finally get one.
It may not be next year. Resolutions, after all, are made to be broken.
Old 01-03-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Working on AC II. One of my resolutions is to get the platinum within the next week or so. Another is to log more than an hour or two on some of my titles purchased in the last two years but hardly played.
Old 01-03-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For normal folks who don't have time to play every game on every system, I think I'd recommend a PS3 or a 360. There's just too much overlap to bother with both IMO.

For me, the PS3 exclusives are slightly more compelling, but I could easily see it going the other way for folks with different tastes or folks who play online a lot.

However, if you don't already have a Blu-Ray player...
Old 01-03-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
For normal folks who don't have time to play every game on every system, I think I'd recommend a PS3 or a 360. There's just too much overlap to bother with both IMO.

For me, the PS3 exclusives are slightly more compelling, but I could easily see it going the other way for folks with different tastes or folks who play online a lot.

However, if you don't already have a Blu-Ray player...
The only reason why I got a PS3 instead of a 360 this holiday season was because of the Blu-ray player and GoW.
Old 01-03-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by nemein
If you like Wing Commander i've heard that Colony Wars series is really good as well. Not sure when Sony plans to release the games.
Old 01-03-10, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Blu-ray was the selling point for me.
Old 01-03-10, 09:18 PM

Can anyone save me from throwing my PS3 controller against the wall? It doesn't seem to want to hold a charge (or maybe it's a sync issue I can't tell). I turn on the PS3 with it fine, but then all the lights on the thing start blinking and it won't do anything until I plug it in with the ridiculously short USB cable. At first it says it's charging (the animation in the battery picture when hitting the PS3 button) but after a short while goes to full. Anyway, whether I leave it plugged in for hours and hours (with system on) or not, most of the time when I turn the system back on it does the same blinking thing again. Tried pushing in that little button on the back of the controller with a paperclip but it did nothing.

It's bad enough that you have to have this ridiculous cable in the first place (replacing rechargeable AA batteries would be FAR more practical) but this is just frustrating. Brand new Slim from late November, BTW.

If I could play Demon's Souls on my Xbox 360 I would just give up but I...must....play...Demon's...Souls....
Old 01-03-10, 09:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Haven't you read the Dante's Inferno thread? It's somehow gone from "Meh" to "Looks better than GOW!" in just a few short posts as more and more 360-only owners joined the discussion.

Last edited by Groucho; 01-03-10 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-03-10, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Plug it into a mini-USB from your computer for the night and report back.

I personally always charge my controllers on my computer or my Wii.

Sounds like a synch issue though.
Old 01-03-10, 10:10 PM

I think (hope) I finally fixed my controller problem by pulling the plug on the back of the unit (apparently turning it off and then back on is not good enough) and then resetting the controller again.

Also apparently there is a new firmware update (3.15) which I just installed. I didn't realize you had to go looking for system updates, I figured there would be a prompt about it.
Old 01-03-10, 10:12 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Groucho
Haven't you read the Dante's Inferno thread? It's somehow gone from "Meh" to "Looks better than GOW!" in just a few short posts as more and more 360-only owners joined the discussion.
I really enjoyed the demo, but I've never actually played a GOW game. I do think it's awesomely hilarious that every 360 owner has more or less said "This looks like a really fun game" and every PS3 owner has said "This can't hold a candle to GOW."
Old 01-03-10, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
Also apparently there is a new firmware update (3.15) which I just installed. I didn't realize you had to go looking for system updates, I figured there would be a prompt about it.
There almost always is; occasionally, though, a non-essential update comes along and you aren't required (nor prompted) to update to it. Those are rare, however.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.