Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official PS3 thread - Aaaaannnnnnddddd we're back!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PS3 thread - Aaaaannnnnnddddd we're back!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official PS3 thread - Software bugs? We don't need no software bugs

I recall one day day that I turned on the Wii, PS3 and 360 and they ALL had updates on the same damn day. The Wii updates are pretty fast since they have to be super compact and the 360 updates super quick. Then there is the PS3......where you have to turn it on 20 minutes or so before you actually want to play because then download AND install process are insanely long for both system and game updates.
Old 04-27-10, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, they take a lot of time. I had the same issue last week. It had been a few weeks since I've turned it on, so I had to update, and guess what, later that night they released a new firmware, 3.30?, so the next day that I turn it on again, I had to update again. I was planning on playing for a few minutes, but just let the firmware to download and turn the PS3 off by itself when it was done.

The "good" thing is that you can "skip" updating if you just want to watch a movie.
Old 04-27-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 677 Likes on 526 Posts

I posted this in the HD forum but I felt it deserved repeating here:

PS3 3D Gaming Downscaled

A spokesperson for Sony recently revealed that the Playstation 3 3D gaming demonstrations at the GCD 2010 were downgraded from 1080p to 720p. According to Sony, the Playstation 3 is not optimized or powerful enough to project two varying 1080p frames to each eye when trying to create the 3D experience. So to achieve the 3D effect, the PS3 utilized two 720p frames instead and in some cases even lower.

For games such as WipeOut the resolution was scaled down from 1080p to 720p, however with native 720p games such as MotorStorm the 3D versions were scaled down to 480p standard definition graphics, to enable the 3D effect.

The Playstation 3 firmware update that will bring 3D gaming to the console is expected to be available soon. However, this news on Sony sacrificing the quality of games to allow for the 3D format may not sit to well with gamers.*
HOWEVER

Originally Posted by Shin-Ra
http://www.gamerlive.tv/3d-gaming-summit
[video: Sony Talks About Its 3D Product Plans At 3D Gaming Summit]

1920x1080p x 48Hz (for BD Video)
1280x720p x 100Hz (for BD Video)
1280x720p x 120Hz (for BD Video and Games)
Old 04-28-10, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hell, the vast majority of games are 720p anyway. The 1080p games are mostly stuff on PSN that don't tax the system too much.

I just hope that 3D doesn't introduce noticeable performance hits compared to 2D mode.
Old 04-28-10, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Drexl
Hell, the vast majority of games are 720p anyway. The 1080p games are mostly stuff on PSN that don't tax the system too much.

I just hope that 3D doesn't introduce noticeable performance hits compared to 2D mode.
The 720p part of the article didn't bother me one bit. What freaked me out was the claim that 720p games would be downscaled to 480p.
Old 04-28-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh crap, I missed that.
Old 04-29-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I totally agree about it being bad-ass. I'm also very jealous of that $20 price point. I'm not much of a baseball fan, but one of my employees is crazy for the Tigers in particular and baseball in general (she listens to day games while doing her work). She gets this package every year. I told her about this app this morning. She doesn't have a PS3, so she let me link her account to my PS3. It's very nice and I can see me using it to at least catch some highlights. Of course, the blackouts kill any real interest I might have in this thing -- they consider the Dodgers, Angels, Padres, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Giants and A's all local teams for Las Vegas though none are closer than four hours away. So I'd never pay $120 for the service, but for free? You bet I'm on board!

Blackouts don't bother me because I never watch any games live anyways, but any game that is blacked out would be viewable in the archive shortly after if ended.
This app rocks, the video quality is so much better than what I was getting on my PC. I had some issues the other night with the service but other than that the streaming has been excellent. All the games in widescreen and the video quality makes the Cox Extra Innings SD games look like a joke.
The only thing for me is finding time to watch all my teams games, I am like 4 games behind so I have to avoid ESPN to not get the games spoiled. And I have to keep myself from looking at the stupid ticker at the bottom of the screen when I play The Show online.
Old 04-29-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Blackouts don't bother me because I never watch any games live anyways, but any game that is blacked out would be viewable in the archive shortly after if ended.
I'm curious how the blackouts work. Are all home games for the local team blacked out on MLB.TV or only games that are also blacked out on broadcast TV?
Old 04-29-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

Wonder if this will work well on the current crop of 720p 120hz 3D projectors.
Old 04-29-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All home games are blacked out, they determine what teams those are by zip code.
Old 04-29-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Fandango
All home games are blacked out, they determine what teams those are by zip code.
Thanks for the info. I guess I understand why they do that, but it certainly renders MLB.TV worthless for certain obvious uses, such as:
-- hometown fans who only have OTA TV and would use it as an alternative to getting cable/sat just for local sports
-- hometown fans who want to watch games live on a mobile device when away from their house
Old 04-29-10, 04:10 PM
Banned

Just found out about the MLB app via an email from Sony yesterday. Will be subscribing to MLB.tv tonight. This is too good to pass up.
Old 04-29-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,484 Likes on 4,436 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I'm curious how the blackouts work. Are all home games for the local team blacked out on MLB.TV or only games that are also blacked out on broadcast TV?
What is MLB.com's blackout policy?
Spoiler:
United States (Including the Territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and Canada
Regular Season Local Live Blackout:
All live games on MLB.TV and available through MLB.com At Bat are subject to local blackouts. Such live games will be blacked out in each applicable Club's home television territory, regardless of whether that Club is playing at home or away. If a game is blacked out in an area, it is not available for live game viewing. If you are an MLB.TV Premium subscriber and not within either Club's home television territory, the applicable game will be available as an archived game as soon as possible after the conclusion of the game. If you are an MLB.TV Premium subscriber within either Club's home television territory or an MLB.TV subscriber in any territory, the applicable game will be available as an archived game approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the game. Archived games are not available through MLB.com At Bat.

In addition, note:
These blackout restrictions apply regardless of whether a Club is home or away and regardless of whether or not a game is televised in a Club's home television territory.
All live Toronto Blue Jays games are blacked out throughout the entire country of Canada.
Additional teams may also be subject to blackout in parts of Canada based on their region.
All live games will be blacked out in the U.S. territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands during the MLB regular season.
Regular Season Weekend U.S. National Live Blackout:
Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, live games occurring each Saturday with a scheduled start time after 1:10 PM ET or before 7:05 PM ET and each Sunday with a scheduled start time after 5:00 PM ET, will be blacked out in the United States (including the territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands). In addition, in the event of extraordinary circumstances that produce a programming conflict, the above blackout windows may be subject to change. If you are an MLB.TV Premium subscriber outside of the United States, each of these games will be available as an archived game as soon as possible after the conclusion of the applicable game. If you are an MLB.TV Premium subscriber within the United States or an MLB.TV subscriber in any territory, each of these games will be available as an archived game approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the applicable game. Archived games are not available through MLB.com At Bat

Regular Season Play-In Game:
Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, any play-in game to determine the final team(s) to reach the MLB Postseason, i.e. a 163rd game, will be blacked out in the United States (including the territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands). Live Audio of such games is available as part of any MLB.TV subscription, as part of the MLB.com At Bat with Gameday Audio subscription and may be available as part of certain other of our subscription services, including MLB.com At Bat.

Postseason Live Blackout:
Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, during the MLB Postseason, all live games will be blacked out in the United States (including the territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and Canada. If you are an MLB.TV Premium Subscriber outside of the United States and Canada, each of these games will be available as an archived game as soon as possible after the conclusion of the applicable game. If you are an MLB.TV Premium Subscriber within the United States or Canada or an MLB.TV subscriber in any territory, each of these games will be available as an archived game approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the applicable game. Archived games are not available through MLB.com At Bat.

Live Audio of those games subject to the blackout restrictions reflected above is available as part of any MLB.TV subscription, as part of the MLB.com At Bat with Gameday Audio Package or as part of MLB.com At Bat.

Postseason.TV:
Subscribers to the Postseason.TV subscription service, available only during the MLB Postseason, will be able to view live alternative video feeds (excluding the broadcast feed) from MLB Postseason games without blackout restrictions.

Certain International Blackouts
Regular Season and Postseason Live Blackout:
No blackout restrictions apply.

U.S. MLB.tv Blackout Map (aka Watch Vegas and Iowa get screwed) :
Spoiler:

Last edited by Decker; 04-29-10 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-29-10, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What is MLB.com's blackout policy?
Spoiler:
United States (Including the Territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and Canada
Regular Season Local Live Blackout:
All live games on MLB.TV and available through MLB.com At Bat are subject to local blackouts. Such live games will be blacked out in each applicable Club's home television territory, regardless of whether that Club is playing at home or away. If a game is blacked out in an area, it is not available for live game viewing. If you are an MLB.TV Premium subscriber and not within either Club's home television territory, the applicable game will be available as an archived game as soon as possible after the conclusion of the game. If you are an MLB.TV Premium subscriber within either Club's home television territory or an MLB.TV subscriber in any territory, the applicable game will be available as an archived game approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the game. Archived games are not available through MLB.com At Bat.

In addition, note:
These blackout restrictions apply regardless of whether a Club is home or away and regardless of whether or not a game is televised in a Club's home television territory.
All live Toronto Blue Jays games are blacked out throughout the entire country of Canada.
Additional teams may also be subject to blackout in parts of Canada based on their region.
All live games will be blacked out in the U.S. territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands during the MLB regular season.
Regular Season Weekend U.S. National Live Blackout:
Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, live games occurring each Saturday with a scheduled start time after 1:10 PM ET or before 7:05 PM ET and each Sunday with a scheduled start time after 5:00 PM ET, will be blacked out in the United States (including the territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands). In addition, in the event of extraordinary circumstances that produce a programming conflict, the above blackout windows may be subject to change. If you are an MLB.TV Premium subscriber outside of the United States, each of these games will be available as an archived game as soon as possible after the conclusion of the applicable game. If you are an MLB.TV Premium subscriber within the United States or an MLB.TV subscriber in any territory, each of these games will be available as an archived game approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the applicable game. Archived games are not available through MLB.com At Bat

Regular Season Play-In Game:
Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, any play-in game to determine the final team(s) to reach the MLB Postseason, i.e. a 163rd game, will be blacked out in the United States (including the territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands). Live Audio of such games is available as part of any MLB.TV subscription, as part of the MLB.com At Bat with Gameday Audio subscription and may be available as part of certain other of our subscription services, including MLB.com At Bat.

Postseason Live Blackout:
Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, during the MLB Postseason, all live games will be blacked out in the United States (including the territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and Canada. If you are an MLB.TV Premium Subscriber outside of the United States and Canada, each of these games will be available as an archived game as soon as possible after the conclusion of the applicable game. If you are an MLB.TV Premium Subscriber within the United States or Canada or an MLB.TV subscriber in any territory, each of these games will be available as an archived game approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the applicable game. Archived games are not available through MLB.com At Bat.

Live Audio of those games subject to the blackout restrictions reflected above is available as part of any MLB.TV subscription, as part of the MLB.com At Bat with Gameday Audio Package or as part of MLB.com At Bat.

Postseason.TV:
Subscribers to the Postseason.TV subscription service, available only during the MLB Postseason, will be able to view live alternative video feeds (excluding the broadcast feed) from MLB Postseason games without blackout restrictions.

Certain International Blackouts
Regular Season and Postseason Live Blackout:
No blackout restrictions apply.

U.S. MLB.tv Blackout Map (aka Watch Vegas and Iowa get screwed) :
Spoiler:
Fandango's answer was much shorter reading.

In seriousness, I had read all of that detail on mlb.com, but it still wasn't clear to me from the wording whether "subject to local blackout" meant all local games are blacked out or only when a blackout is imposed for all broadcast types.
Old 04-29-10, 10:10 PM

Fandango's answer was much shorter reading.
It was. But it was wrong, at least according to MLB.tv's page:

In addition, note:

Last edited by Decker; 04-29-10 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-29-10, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sony Sued For Removal Of Linux Support From PS3
Old 04-29-10, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was. But it was wrong, at least according to MLB.tv's page:
Nothing he said was wrong. Just incomplete.
Old 04-30-10, 12:36 AM

Nothing he said was wrong. Just incomplete.
Okay, you got me there!
Old 04-30-10, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the info. I guess I understand why they do that, but it certainly renders MLB.TV worthless for certain obvious uses, such as:
-- hometown fans who only have OTA TV and would use it as an alternative to getting cable/sat just for local sports
-- hometown fans who want to watch games live on a mobile device when away from their house
When you're travelling, mlb.tv (at least on the iphone app) uses your GPS location to determine black-out games. So you could watch your team when you're not home.
Old 04-30-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by redbill
When you're travelling, mlb.tv (at least on the iphone app) uses your GPS location to determine black-out games. So you could watch your team when you're not home.
But only if I'm out of the blackout area. I was referring more to being in-town, but not at home (like waiting for my car at the service station or even just sitting outside enjoying the game in the fresh air). Regardless, it doesn't sound like mlb.tv is for me.
Old 04-30-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I see what you mean now, I thought you meant travelling, not if your wife drags you to a chick-flick or something like that...
Old 04-30-10, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by redbill
The internet version uses your IP address location. I guess there's some way to give a phony one in order to circumvent it, maybe. There's a really good Yahoo Sports article about how lame and unfair the blackout restrictions are here.
Old 04-30-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they use your IP address to find your location you can use a proxy server. Google "hulu proxy server" is almost the same system.
Old 04-30-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The internet version uses your IP address location. I guess there's some way to give a phony one in order to circumvent it, maybe. There's a really good Yahoo Sports article about how lame and unfair the blackout restrictions are here.
Interesting article. Since it's 3 years old and the same old system is in place, it sure looks like MLB will never change.
Old 05-03-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I think it's a very valid complaint, and I say that as someone who never used and never planned to use that option. It was an advertised feature of the product that was retroactively removed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.