DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/567312-official-xbox-360-thread-console-choice-nuclear-submarines.html)

Cusm 06-09-11 09:02 AM

re: The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines

Originally Posted by xmiyux (Post 10809489)
Yeah my daughter flipped over Star Wars. I guess playing Star Wars at recess is the in-thing on the elementary school playground. :lol: She keeps going on about some female jedi from the new series with the nickname "Snips." If that character is even hinted at in the game then she will harass me into buying it.

"Snips" is Ahsoka Tano, Anakin's Padwan from the Clone Wars tv series, so I doubt she will be in it. If you have a Wii you can get Lightsaber Duels that has all the Clone Wars charcters in it, including Ahsoka.

Raul3 06-09-11 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10810132)
no way the next Xbox launches in 2014, in my opinion. I think they announce it next E3 and it's a 2013 system launch.

Agree.

Same with Sony, they PS3/PSN is broken. They need to rebuild that from scratch, hence the need for the PS4.

mattysemo247 06-09-11 03:55 PM

FYI, Amazon has the LE Gears 360 system up for preorder. It looks like it comes with the new D pad controllers too, so that's a bonus.

hail2dking 06-09-11 04:54 PM

no way the next Xbox launches in 2014, in my opinion. I think they announce it next E3 and it's a 2013 system launch.

I may have to concede that as well...I was thinking Halo at launch would be a plus, but will likely have a huge holiday in 2013 without it, then follow holiday 2014 with Halo 5.

K&AJones 06-09-11 05:15 PM

They need to start work on the next gen and it needs to be no less than two years away. One reason is Devs like the Battlefield series are having to tone down (back down) the games' capibilites now for consoles. Several have sent word out to both MS and Sony....get the next gen consoles out soon. The advancement of graphics and realism is moving at a faster pace now. Two years for those guys is a long time....not unless you get a pc.

mhg83 06-09-11 05:35 PM

I'm going with November 2012. They can announce it at e3 next year making a huge competition with Nintendos WiiU.

Superman07 06-10-11 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 10810956)
I'm going with November 2012. They can announce it at e3 next year making a huge competition with Nintendos WiiU.

I'd rather have that than, "Guess what - you get something in 18 months." MS seemed to get big kudos when the announced the Xbox slim because it was released near immediately. Heck, they'd do better to have the next system be out within a month of announcing it instead of June to November.

orangecrush 06-10-11 08:35 AM

With how much advanced time they need to give third party developers, we will hear rumblings of specs long before a new console is released.

Groucho 06-10-11 08:39 AM

Yeah, there's a big difference between announcing a redesign of the same console and a brand new console. The software doesn't just magically appear.

K&AJones 06-10-11 09:08 AM

Well when you look at the age of the 360, if this were a pc it would be classified as "ancient". Yet it still has life in it. But it's creeping up on being around 6 years old which in this technoloical age is old. PC gamers know the full extent of this when playing swap out with video cards every six months.

To show the wide difference you only need to look at the specs of the ATI Xenos chip in the 360 and compare it to the newer offering from ATI/AMD.

orangecrush 06-10-11 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by K&AJones (Post 10811577)
Well when you look at the age of the 360, if this were a pc it would be classified as "ancient". Yet it still has life in it. But it's creeping up on being around 6 years old which in this technoloical age is old. PC gamers know the full extent of this when playing swap out with video cards every six months.

To show the wide difference you only need to look at the specs of the ATI Xenos chip in the 360 and compare it to the newer offering from ATI/AMD.

That has always been true of consoles and PCs. The advantage of a console is unified specifications. Developers tend to squeeze more out of a console than a PC. Also, on a PC you can use screen resolutions above 1080p. How much better are graphics going to look on a new console compared to what we are getting now? We may get a new console in 2012 not made by Nintendo, but I doubt it. Xbox is selling really well and Microsoft is finally making money on the hardware in addition to the licensing fees. I don't think they or Sony are really that eager to manufacture a new box.

Raul3 06-10-11 03:37 PM

For pinata and/or anyone using a flash drive to store their game saves. How do you backup your data?

I was just copying the whole Xbox360 folder to my hard drive. But I'm not sure if I can just copy that to another flash drive and work the same. After formatting that flash drive of course.

And yeah, I will check Google too, but I trust more in you guys.

pinata242 06-10-11 03:40 PM

I haven't done it in ages, but I was just putting them on my NAS. Flash->Flash may work. It's about to become a pointless exercise depending on how they implement cloud storage.

Groucho 06-10-11 03:41 PM

I hope they do the cloud storage like they do on Steam where it's seamless and in the background. As opposed to how they do it on PSN where it's 100% manual.

Raul3 06-10-11 03:46 PM

I really hope it becomes pointless after they introduce cloud storage.

Superman07 06-10-11 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by orangecrush (Post 10811734)
That has always been true of consoles and PCs. The advantage of a console is unified specifications. Developers tend to squeeze more out of a console than a PC. Also, on a PC you can use screen resolutions above 1080p. How much better are graphics going to look on a new console compared to what we are getting now? We may get a new console in 2012 not made by Nintendo, but I doubt it. Xbox is selling really well and Microsoft is finally making money on the hardware in addition to the licensing fees. I don't think they or Sony are really that eager to manufacture a new box.

Somebody posted an interview with John Carmack over in the E3 thread. He said a large issue with today's consoles compared to PC is the amount of memory they have. I forget the exact figure, maybe 512mb, but he said because of the memory limitations they have to drastically reduce the textures on the consoles.

I think the answer to your question then is considerably better. Sure you won't see the same sort of detail benefits you'd get above 1080p, but as Carmack also says that frees up resources for other things on consoles (e.g., 60 fps v 30 fps).

K&AJones 06-10-11 04:07 PM

Well another big issue is the DVD drive versus the BD one in terms of all that information, both video and audio, cammed on the disc. This has as much importance as on board memory to ram to cpu to the graphics chip.The more intense and detail the more space is needed. I can remember back in the days of Unreal Tournament you needed a whopping 650mb of HD space. It's rumored for BF:3 somewhere around 15 GB's will be needed. It takes both space, HP and memory to run this stuff. The DVD drive is already being maxed out and MS won't think about a BD addon player which no-one has a clue why not.

pinata242 06-10-11 04:14 PM

Having a 360 add-on isn't going to give you 360 games on BD. It would only be for movie playing. They won't because it's of no value and they'd end up paying Sony a portion of the sales.

Now the next-gen MS console could (and should) incorporate some new high-capacity media solution. Doesn't mean it'll be BD though. May not even be optical.

orangecrush 06-10-11 04:33 PM

It is funny that there has been so much talk about moving towards no physical media, but games are pushing towards 20 GB.

orangecrush 06-10-11 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 10812188)
Somebody posted an interview with John Carmack over in the E3 thread. He said a large issue with today's consoles compared to PC is the amount of memory they have. I forget the exact figure, maybe 512mb, but he said because of the memory limitations they have to drastically reduce the textures on the consoles.

I think the answer to your question then is considerably better. Sure you won't see the same sort of detail benefits you'd get above 1080p, but as Carmack also says that frees up resources for other things on consoles (e.g., 60 fps v 30 fps).

All good points. Personally, I am in no hurry. Of course, I thought the same thing before getting a 360 and HDTV and it didn't take me long to sell off my last gen systems and games once I started HD gaming.

Raul3 06-12-11 09:24 PM

One problem with, some, optical drives is reading times. It's faster to read from hard drive that from DVD and/or BD. I think BD is even slower in some cases.

So, I think they may mix it for next gen, a 1 TB hard drive, all games can run from HD as it's now, but no DVD disc needed all the time. They should be able to do that somehow.

Superman07 06-13-11 09:58 AM

I wonder if EA would ship BF3 on 2-3 discs and allow a large chunk to be installed on the hard drive if the PC version really is going to require a 15GB install space. Is that something that is limited by MS, or is that at the discretion of the developer? I know when I played ME2 it was on 2 discs and you had to switch between them a few times. However, I did not install that so I don't know how much space was required.

Groucho 06-13-11 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by orangecrush (Post 10812236)
It is funny that there has been so much talk about moving towards no physical media, but games are pushing towards 20 GB.

Good point. As game size increases, and ISP download limits decrease, I don't see physical media going away any time soon.

Matt 06-13-11 02:42 PM

Edit: OLD INFO FROM LAST YEAR MISTAKENLY POSTED AS NEW

TrueAchievements: New Xbox 360 Chip on the Horizon

Possible price cuts in store

Written by Perpalicious today at 17:21

Microsoft announced today that its Xbox 360 250GB Kinect-ready, slim model will receive a SoC (System-on-chip) processor, according to information released by International Business Times.

With the new SoC processor, the 360 will combine its GPU, CPU, memory, and I/O (input/out) logic onto a single chip.

The move apparently comes to combat AMD's next-generation processors. This new chip is the first desktop processor to combine the four features onto a single unit, creating tough competition for both Intel and AMD.

As a result of the combination, the processor has better power efficiency, which has caused a beneficial domino effect. Power supply unit and motherboard both will be reduced drastically in size as well improved heat management. In addition, fewer chips will be manufactured meaning cheaper units.

A price drop has not been officially confirmed but with Microsoft's heavy promotion of Kinect at their E3 presentation, a reduction in price is more likely to entice people to buy a bundle.

Hope this happens pretty soon as I'm in the market for a new machine and would rather get one with the new chip.

Raul3 06-13-11 02:50 PM

That's old according to MajorNelson, so no price cut and current Xboxes already have that SoC.

Matt 06-13-11 03:41 PM

Son of a bitch!

DVDChris 06-13-11 03:42 PM

plus the article appears to have been pulled.

Liver&Onions 06-13-11 03:48 PM

You've been Grouchoed!

Matt 06-13-11 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions (Post 10815296)
You've been Grouchoed!

Apparently so, and now it's even followed me to my Twitter account:

http://i.imgur.com/X9Xts.png

pinata242 06-13-11 10:45 PM

You have terrible recommendations.

Matt 06-13-11 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 10815820)
You have terrible recommendations.

A quick look at some of the accounts I'm following should explain it all.

http://i.imgur.com/SDjZI.png

JasonF 06-21-11 09:32 PM

I just played the demo for el Shaddai. Man, that was weird.

Raul3 06-22-11 01:05 PM

Weird good or weird bad?

Liver&Onions 06-22-11 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 10827416)
Weird good or weird bad?

Awesome weird.

pinata242 06-22-11 01:12 PM

Weird good or weird bad?

Michael Jackson Bad.

Liver&Onions 06-22-11 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by mwb (Post 10815907)
a quick look at some of the accounts i'm following should explain it all.

http://i.imgur.com/sdjzi.png

whoopwhoop!

JasonF 06-22-11 01:35 PM

Weird good or weird bad?

I'm not sure. Both? Personally, it didn't make me want to buy the game, but I know L&O loves it. I'd say the demo is worth a download so you can decide for yourself.

UncleGramps 06-22-11 01:47 PM

I was underwhelmed by the El Shaddai demo. Beautiful, but the platforming in the 3D segments is awful, and the overall gameplay seems to lack variety. I was already getting a little bored by the end of the demo.

superfro 06-22-11 01:52 PM

I don't think it's not big enough to have it's own thread, but is anyone else playing Shadows of the Damned? -eek-

UncleGramps 06-22-11 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by superfro (Post 10827485)
I don't think it's not big enough to have it's own thread, but is anyone else playing Shadows of the Damned? -eek-

I was going to wait for a price drop. Is it worth sixty bucks?