DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/567312-official-xbox-360-thread-console-choice-nuclear-submarines.html)

UncleGramps 06-03-11 06:29 PM

re: The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines

I'm not a fan of the console Killzone games (the PSP one is fun, though), I had finished Heavy Rain way before the Move came out, and I pretty much only buy PS3 exclusives for that system - otherwise I'll buy the 360 version. Therefore my Move experience is limited to Sports Champions (pretty fun), Start the Party (gimmicky but enjoyable for the AR elements), and Dead Space Extraction (awesome, but essentially still just a lightgun shooter). The Move is serviceable, but it's nothing more than a better version of the Wiimote.

Kinect has way more potential than the Move, and I see Microsoft supporting Kinect way longer than Sony will support the Move. Just my two cents. :shrug:

Decker 06-03-11 06:46 PM

I agree with the points that the Move is essentially just an improved, more accurate Wiimote and that the Kinect has more potential for innovation. But until I see different (perhaps next week at E3) I'll continue to consider it a novelty item squarely aimed at those too young or too unfamiliar with gaming to correctly use a controller. Dance Central and Your Share are the only games I see some six months after launch that I think really utilize the Kinect in a way that is preferable over a standard controller. Just my .02 .

Michael Corvin 06-03-11 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 10801477)
With the Move, I can play a quality FPS like Killzone 3 using a gun peripheral, play Heavy Rain with much more authentic movements, play light gun games with great accuracy, play strategy games like Ruse or Under Seige with gesture-based selections, and play core sports games like Tiger Woods or Top Spin 4 with varying degrees of success.

Can and will are two totally different things. Outside of Tiger Woods why would anyone choose Move over a controller which is more precise? It's a novelty, just like the Wiimote. At least Kinect is different, but I agree, it's still unproven tech in the core games.

Fandango 06-03-11 08:53 PM

http://www.slashgear.com/microsoft-x...2011-03156696/

MasterofDVD 06-03-11 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by edstein (Post 10800919)
They already have ESPN, Hulu+, Netflix and Zune. Now diamond? Fragmentation!!! Box all of that shit up into one service at a decent price and I'll take it all and drop Dish Network.

I agree that having so many add on services is a real pain in the ass and I only have NetFlix and Hulu. If I wasn't going to drop Hulu here soon I would be a bit more vocal about my aggravation on this issue. Most of the shows I want to watch have either been dropped, Tosh.0, or they are Web Only offerings. I've just been watching American Dad and Family Guy so I'm not sure if it is really worth keeping long term.

Mok 06-03-11 09:21 PM

Is there anyway to get rid of the beta channel now that it's over.

pinata242 06-04-11 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mok (Post 10801624)

Not until you get the actual non-beta update which I still haven't yet.

pinata242 06-06-11 01:42 PM

Kinect Fun Labs (723mb) is up: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Pr...811?cid=search

Shagrath 06-06-11 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mok (Post 10801624)

I got the dashboard update on my non-beta machine a couple of weeks ago, but my main box is still in full-on "beta" mode.

Shagrath 06-06-11 02:52 PM

No idea why they didn't announce this at the presentation, but

360 is getting cloud support

Decker 06-06-11 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Shagrath (Post 10805252)
No idea why they didn't announce this at the presentation, but

360 is getting cloud support

Probably because it isn't Kinect-enabled?

pinata242 06-06-11 03:13 PM

My thoughts on the cloud. It already takes a few seconds just to sign in with my local, always-online profile. If I try to recover it, it can take hours. Literally, the last time I did, it was at least two hours long. I went to bed. It's also like 50mb.

If they are going to cloud-based profile storage, they need to be smart about it and work with deltas or keep no local copy at all.

Shagrath 06-06-11 03:16 PM

With the newest dashboard update, it takes me about 15-20 minutes to recover. My tag's about the same size as yours, pinata.

With the last dashboard revision, it was well over an hour. With the one before that, it was around 20-30 minutes.

pinata242 06-06-11 03:18 PM

Yeah, I think it was before the beta, which I'm still in. Still, there's something terribly wrong about that since, for all intents, their online version is basically already "the cloud".

Matt 06-06-11 11:48 PM

Gears of War limited edition Xbox 360 bundle on Sept. 20 for $399; controller for $59.99 on August 11

Epic and Microsoft are teaming up to offer not only a special console bundle pack, but also custom, individual controllers -- both of which will be accompanied by download tokens for in-game content.

For $399, you can snag the console bundle (which has special sound effects like the Halo: Reach console), which features a 320gb hard drive, two Gears of War 3-branded wireless controllers, a copy of the game, headset and two pieces of DLC: the Infected Omen Weapon pack, skins for the game's starting weapons (the Lancer, Retro Lancer, Gnasher, Hammerburst and Sawed-Off Shotgun) and the Adam Fenix multiplayer character. This bundle goes on sale September 20.

If you're looking for just a special controller, you can snag one of them for $59.99 starting on August 11 -- which has that new transforming d-pad and the aforementioned in-game content.

Large pic:

TheBigDave 06-07-11 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 10800844)
Read some rumors about Microsoft releasing IPTV service for the Xbox (again?), with a service called Xbox Live Diamond. I'm almost sure we already talked about this, but this started to show again in some not too reliable sites, or at least not mainstream.

So, Xbox Live Diamond, all that's included in Gold plus TV channels. How much would you pay for that?

I don't know much about this. But if they can offer stuff like Amazon Instant Video and Crunchyroll, then I'm all over it.

mattysemo247 06-07-11 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by MWB (Post 10806301)
Gears of War limited edition Xbox 360 bundle on Sept. 20 for $399; controller for $59.99 on August 11

Epic and Microsoft are teaming up to offer not only a special console bundle pack, but also custom, individual controllers -- both of which will be accompanied by download tokens for in-game content.

For $399, you can snag the console bundle (which has special sound effects like the Halo: Reach console), which features a 320gb hard drive, two Gears of War 3-branded wireless controllers, a copy of the game, headset and two pieces of DLC: the Infected Omen Weapon pack, skins for the game's starting weapons (the Lancer, Retro Lancer, Gnasher, Hammerburst and Sawed-Off Shotgun) and the Adam Fenix multiplayer character. This bundle goes on sale September 20.

If you're looking for just a special controller, you can snag one of them for $59.99 starting on August 11 -- which has that new transforming d-pad and the aforementioned in-game content.

Large pic:

Alright, I skipped on the Halo console, but that one looks bad ass. Might have to pony up for that one and finally move or get rid of my old arcade unit.

chuckd21 06-07-11 09:50 AM

So, aside from the brief mention during the presser, no details of Xbox Diamond TV yet?

Decker 06-07-11 09:50 AM

Nobody has mentioned this yet, but MS also announced a new driving peripheral:

E3 2011: Microsoft Introduces Wireless Speed Wheel
New Xbox 360 racing wheel arriving this September.

Today Microsoft announced the Wireless Speed Wheel for Xbox 360, a new wireless racing game peripheral that will ship alongside Forza Motorsport 4 later this year.

http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/...6110827762.jpg

The design includes the standard array of Xbox 360 controls, including triggers, ABXY, and a d-pad, as well as LED illumination on the handles for visual cues. Additionally, the wheel has haptic feedback with rumble and is compatible with all Xbox 360 racing titles.

The Wireless Speed Wheel will be available on September 26 for $59.99.

orangecrush 06-08-11 08:48 AM

I got a used copy of LA Noire last night that came with a Naked City Code. I am not keeping the game and don't know if the code works, but here it is for anyone to try:

73R3W-6KCCM-V2RRC-TMJP9-G9HMZ

cruzness 06-08-11 09:16 AM

So is there any weight to the theory that the reason Microsoft's press conference was sooo underwhelming was because they are ramping up for their next gen console. Combine that with the fact that they aren't working on any new IP's for the 360 and they are not pushing nearly as hard as they used to for exclusive content and i think that Microsoft is going to be the first to truly jump into the next generation (sorry Nintendo your console is trying to play catch-up and will be a generation behind in a couple of years once again.)

fumanstan 06-08-11 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by cruzness (Post 10808576)
So is there any weight to the theory that the reason Microsoft's press conference was sooo underwhelming was because they are ramping up for their next gen console. Combine that with the fact that they aren't working on any new IP's for the 360 and they are not pushing nearly as hard as they used to for exclusive content and i think that Microsoft is going to be the first to truly jump into the next generation (sorry Nintendo your console is trying to play catch-up and will be a generation behind in a couple of years once again.)

That could be true; Kinect seems to be such a big success that they can probably just coast the rest of the console's life span with Halo, Gears, and Kinect stuff.

Michael Corvin 06-08-11 10:46 AM

:lol: With third party releases that IS Microsoft's entire platform.

Raul3 06-08-11 12:09 PM

Underwhelming for who?
They showed Gears of War 3, MW3, announced Halo 4. Something else I may be missing. That covers the hardcore audience. Then they showed a lot of support for Kinect, that covers the other part.

Gears of War 3 is the most preordered game in the history of videogames, MW3 will probably set new records too, and you know the Xbox 360 is the console of choice for that game.

So it was really too hard to fail at this E3 for Microsoft.

But yeah, they are announcing a new console next year. (to be released in 2013?) :D

UncleGramps 06-08-11 01:09 PM

I love my 360, but I found the press conference pretty underwhelming. Big sequels that I was already aware of and don't really care much about, and a bunch of Kinect stuff that looked awkward and uninspired.

cruzness 06-08-11 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by UncleGramps (Post 10809004)
I love my 360, but I found the press conference pretty underwhelming. Big sequels that I was already aware of and don't really care much about, and a bunch of Kinect stuff that looked awkward and uninspired.

This is the reaction I'm getting from the 360 guys I am friends with / work with.

xmiyux 06-08-11 02:28 PM

I think some of the Kinect stuff looks neat. Dance Central 2, Kinect Sports 2, and the Star Wars game will all be wanted items in my house.

fujishig 06-08-11 02:31 PM

If there is a new console on the horizon, shouldn't they hold halo 4 for that? Actually did they confirm that Halo 4 was for 360, or did everyone just assume that it was? I don't remember if the trailer had the 360 logo.

Wait, the Halo Reach console had special sound effects?

Michael Corvin 06-08-11 03:02 PM

I've been wondering about Halo 4 and a new console myself. I don't think anything was specifically said about it being a 360 title. It's an easy assumption to make.

And yeah, the Reach console has sound effects.

mattysemo247 06-08-11 03:33 PM

haha, the Reach console has sound effects? Like what?

Michael Corvin 06-08-11 03:37 PM

Powering it on/off and opening the disc tray. One of them is the sound effect of the shield recharge, IIRC. Can't recall what the other one is.

I'm sure it's on YouTube.

mattysemo247 06-08-11 03:52 PM

Nice, I'll have to check that out. That's the first I've heard about that.

Spiderbite 06-08-11 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by xmiyux (Post 10809151)
I think some of the Kinect stuff looks neat. Dance Central 2, Kinect Sports 2, and the Star Wars game will all be wanted items in my house.

Exactly. I downloaded the trailers for all three of those, showed them to my seven year old and he about shit a brick...especially for the Star Wars game.

He was bouncing off the walls for all three of those titles. Did they give any release dates for those three?

xmiyux 06-08-11 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd (Post 10809444)
Exactly. I downloaded the trailers for all three of those, showed them to my seven year old and he about shit a brick...especially for the Star Wars game.

He was bouncing off the walls for all three of those titles. Did they give any release dates for those three?

Yeah my daughter flipped over Star Wars. I guess playing Star Wars at recess is the in-thing on the elementary school playground. :lol: She keeps going on about some female jedi from the new series with the nickname "Snips." If that character is even hinted at in the game then she will harass me into buying it.

edstein 06-08-11 07:24 PM

PS2 was around for over 10 years. Considering the Red Ring problems in the past I think MS will hold off on a new console until the tech is available that really moves things to a new level. The current console already does 1080p and is capable of 3D. What more do we really need right now? I think MS will let the cash roll in for a while at least 2 probably 3 more years before we see a new console.

hail2dking 06-09-11 12:53 AM

My guess is Halo 4 will be the last big game for the 360 from MS in 2012 (that and another Fable). I'm thinking Halo 5 for launch of the next Xbox in 2014. They just did their console relaunch last year and we are just now seeing some 2nd gen Kinect titles. They will focus on Kinect and milk that along with price cuts over the next couple years.

We'll likely see something next E3, tech demos etc. They shouldn't rush to get something out holiday 2013, instead make sure the system is tight and they have a large supply ready for holiday 2014. Perhaps something similar to Nintendo...beefed up system, blu-ray and advanced Kinect camera and keep 360 controllers and games compatible.

Michael Corvin 06-09-11 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by edstein (Post 10809531)
PS2 was around for over 10 years.

It was only 6 when PS3 launched though.

edstein 06-09-11 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10810029)

Many stores still carry PS2 games and not just old ones. The point is the current gen of games from MS and Sony look really good with five year old specs. Sure you can do much better now on a PC but I think the average consumer is going to be happy for a long time with their current system.

cruzness 06-09-11 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10810029)

We are coming up on six years for this generation (Fall of 2005 when 360 debuted) and the gauntlet has been thrown down by Nintendo with the announcement of the WiiU. I think it is only a short time from now that Microsoft will surprise everyone with the announcement of a new console.

I think the console manufacturers have shown that overlap from consoles is very viable. Profitability is higher on older consoles because the manufacturing process has been streamlined and parts become less expensive. We all know the hardcore techie/gamer will adopt quickly to the next generation while the casual gamers and parents will continue to buy a discounted older console.

Originally Posted by hail2dking (Post 10809916)
They just did their console relaunch last year and we are just now seeing some 2nd gen Kinect titles. They will focus on Kinect and milk that along with price cuts over the next couple years.

I was having a discussion the other day with a friend who is also a gamer about the motion controls this generation as a way to introduce the next generation of gamers to consoles. One thing I think we are missing is the fact that a lot of gamers nowadays have kids and the Kinect/Move/Wii was a kid friendly way of sucking in the next bunch of future core gamers. I think Microsoft may be thinking outside the box and realize this, which is why some of those new Kinect titles are kid friendly. I t may be a brilliant move on their part to suck up market share from Nintendo.

Deftones 06-09-11 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by hail2dking (Post 10809916)
My guess is Halo 4 will be the last big game for the 360 from MS in 2012 (that and another Fable). I'm thinking Halo 5 for launch of the next Xbox in 2014. They just did their console relaunch last year and we are just now seeing some 2nd gen Kinect titles. They will focus on Kinect and milk that along with price cuts over the next couple years.

We'll likely see something next E3, tech demos etc. They shouldn't rush to get something out holiday 2013, instead make sure the system is tight and they have a large supply ready for holiday 2014. Perhaps something similar to Nintendo...beefed up system, blu-ray and advanced Kinect camera and keep 360 controllers and games compatible.

no way the next Xbox launches in 2014, in my opinion. I think they announce it next E3 and it's a 2013 system launch.