DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/567312-official-xbox-360-thread-console-choice-nuclear-submarines.html)

Larry C. 11-22-11 10:03 AM

re: The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines

Originally Posted by MWB (Post 11014661)

http://blog.muchmusic.com/wp-content...02/goodone.gif

Michael Corvin 11-22-11 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 11014718)
Though saying "Xbox, Play Pinball FX2" and having it work was pretty bad ass last night.

Might be faster than waiting on the games list to populate.

One minor detail that will probably get overlooked is that the cursor starts on the game disc square unlike the current dash that boots up to the spotlight channel.

My only gripe thus far is the giant square is used for ads instead of my content. The game disc square should be front and center and the ads pushed to the 4 squares on the sides.

Decker 11-22-11 10:53 AM

The layout is way, way better. Even if you don't have (and especially if you don't use) a Kinect.

Though saying "Xbox, Play Pinball FX2" and having it work was pretty bad ass last night.

The dash update was necessary since there was no way to launch a non-disc based game using the Kinect before this. Overall I do like it better, especially on the console with the Kinect. But I do miss seeing my Friends standing in front of something on the Premium themes. No need to get any more without that feature.

DVDChris 11-22-11 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 11014712)
None of that shit interests me in the slightest.

Really? I'm interested in Cloud Storage in case the hard drive ever fails.

Decker 11-22-11 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by DVDChris (Post 11014836)
Really? I'm interested in Cloud Storage in case the hard drive ever fails.

As I posted before, if it were implemented like they do on the PS3 with Playstation Plus, it would be great -- an auto-backup of your game saves to the cloud. The 360 cloud storage just works as another storage device. You could go through and copy all your saves to the cloud after every time you play something, I suppose, but it seems very labor-intensive. Perhaps there's a way to copy all your game saves to the cloud at once; I haven't tried to do that yet.

MoviePage 11-22-11 11:52 AM

Unless I'm missing something, it also still treats protected saves (that is, the ones that can only be stored in one place at a time) the same as before. You can either move them to the cloud or leave them on the HD, but no copies/backups are allowed. Pointless.

And still no separation of notifications or toggling options, even though there are a lot more of them now.

Michael Corvin 11-22-11 11:54 AM

^ I'm interested in storing my Gamertag on the cloud. Anyone try that yet?

Here's a weird one for the group. The other night I decided to play on my secondary 360. I did not register this console for the beta, yet was prompted to update when I signed in. Great, got the beta on both consoles. I didn't end up playing anything, just let the update run, and shut down after it was done.

Cut to the other day, I boot up and I'm back in the old dashboard. Very odd.

edstein 11-22-11 01:15 PM

If you go to your download history on the second console you can redownload the beta app and that should get the beta working again on the second console. You can do this with up to three consoles I believe.

Shagrath 11-22-11 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 11014854)
^ I'm interested in storing my Gamertag on the cloud. Anyone try that yet?

You can't store a gamertag on the cloud. It's kinda there already. You don't need to do a recovery anymore if the gamertag is already on the other 360. It will just download the new stuff (achievements/download history/etc) and be done. If the tag is not already on the second 360, it takes just a couple minutes. I recovered on my bedroom 360 with a 41MB gamertag (took about 30+ minutes on the old dashboard) and it took about 5 minutes.

pinata242 11-22-11 01:44 PM

So, the recommendation is to store your tag in the cloud and, once everyone's console is with the new dash, you won't need a memory stick anymore. Is that the idea?

Shagrath 11-22-11 01:47 PM

You don't actually store it in the cloud. It's kinda already there. You can only store saves in the cloud.

Michael Corvin 11-22-11 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Shagrath (Post 11014973)
You can't store a gamertag on the cloud. It's kinda there already. You don't need to do a recovery anymore if the gamertag is already on the other 360. It will just download the new stuff (achievements/download history/etc) and be done. If the tag is not already on the second 360, it takes just a couple minutes. I recovered on my bedroom 360 with a 41MB gamertag (took about 30+ minutes on the old dashboard) and it took about 5 minutes.

Guess I'll stick to a USB stick. One would think you could log into either console via the cloud, without having to download gamertag data. Babysteps I guess.

pinata242 11-22-11 01:58 PM

Well, the XBL servers have always had the "official" copy of your gamertag, that's not new. And the recovery process, as you said, has always been painfully slow.

But it sounds like what you're saying is that keeping your gamertag on the "cloud" MU won't buy you much when you go over to a friend's console since you'll still have to type in your credentials just to get access to it.

I see no point in the cloud device, especially if XBL goes down which isn't impossible as PSN pointed out or if my Internet goes out. Why would I want my save games to be inaccessible?

It really should have been more like a Dropbox type of implementation where my data is automatically mirrored offsite and I can pull that stuff down to a friend's physical drive, update it, and have it pushed back so it's there at home. As it is, it seems like more of a headache for the users and a bullet-point for the console.

Shagrath 11-22-11 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 11015012)
Guess I'll stick to a USB stick. One would think you could log into either console via the cloud, without having to download gamertag data. Babysteps I guess.

It is in the cloud. It just has to download any new download history or achievements. If you've already got the tag saved on both boxes, then it takes only a matter of seconds to sync up.

Michael Corvin 11-22-11 02:23 PM

I thought your gamertag could only be moved and not copied? How can you have it stored on two consoles?

Shagrath 11-22-11 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 11015062)
I thought your gamertag could only be moved and not copied? How can you have it stored on two consoles?

If you recover on another box, then the old one is still on the first one (or USB). It's magic like that.

Raul3 11-22-11 02:53 PM

Great read in the previous posts. I'm also interested in trying the gamertag in the cloud thing.

I have two Xboxes, I use an USB drive for my saves and gamertag, like most of you. I haven't updated both, one has the new dashboard, the other one, just to be "safe".

So, it seems that saves are going to be easy. You save in the cloud and then can use it in your other console. No major changes there.

If I understand correctly from Shagrath post, for the gamertag is going to be you download your GT from the cloud once, can take 5 minutes or so, and after that it's faster because it just needs to sync, like in seconds or so. Right?

Michael Corvin 11-22-11 08:51 PM

Alright, I've tossed a dozen games at it and it has yet to work. Are you fucking with us?

pinata242 11-22-11 09:12 PM

Sorry, it has to be on screen. Try "Xbox, quickplay, some recent game name".

"xbox, social, my profile, messages" is how you get to those.

aktick 11-25-11 05:22 PM

Maybe everybody already has this or doesn't give a shit, but got some codes for avatar ski outfits from Pepsi boxes...

2X733-HRC2G-VFTP9-Q2Y6P-X32YZ male ski outfit

PWG2J-G9QWH-WY33H-RYY97-HTF9Z female ski outfit

The Dude 11-25-11 06:00 PM

Redeemed the male ski outfit; thanks!

tlwizard 11-25-11 07:26 PM

Thanks! Redeemed the female one for my gf!

aktick 11-25-11 07:34 PM

Glad somebody could use them. I don't think I've edited my avatar for 2 years. :lol:

DJariya 11-27-11 03:43 AM

XBox Live 12 month Gold Membership is on sale at Target for $47.

fumanstan 11-29-11 04:11 PM

Entering the seventh year of its lifecycle, Xbox 360 just closed the biggest sales week in the history of Xbox, selling more than 960,000 consoles in the U.S. during the week of Black Friday.

Microsoft’s retail partners are equally excited about our sales performance this holiday.

“We have seen tremendous excitement from customers for our hot holiday gaming offers,” said Chris Homeister, senior vice president and general manager of Home Entertainment at Best Buy. “Xbox 360 was among the best-sellers at Best Buy this Black Friday, and is a testament to the continued popularity of the gaming category this holiday.”

Sales highlights in the U.S. during the week of Black Friday include:

Xbox 360 sold more than 960,000 consoles in the U.S. alone, of which more than 800,000 were sold within a period of 24 hours – the biggest week of sales in Xbox history. (Source: Internal data)
More than 750,000 Kinect for Xbox 360 sensors were sold in the U.S. – standalone and bundled. (Source: Internal data)
Pretty darn impressive this far along in to it's life.

orangecrush 11-29-11 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 11023831)
Pretty darn impressive this far along in to it's life.

It did have some crazy sales on BF. Also, BF sales in general were way up this year. Imagine how many they could sell if they droped the 4GB to $99?

Spiderbite 11-29-11 04:22 PM

I think the Kinect is really helping it continue on. If it had a BD drive, I think it would honestly sell even more. Not having one has to deter some people who might be interested but also want to have the Blu-ray option and end up going to the PS3 instead if they are in the market for only one console.

Every person who has come over to our house to play Kinect has loved it and most have purchased one soon after.

Decker 11-29-11 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd (Post 11023864)
Every person who has come over to our house to play Kinect has loved it and most have purchased one soon after.

I'm sure mine would have the same effect if I could ever get the damned thing to work right. "This is cool -- check this out... Hang on, I just need to sign in again ... Never mind, I'll just use a guest profile. Now let me just select 'Tennis' to play...No! Not back to the main menu! He he, give me a sec..." "Never mind, we get the idea". :gah:

Spiderbite 11-29-11 04:47 PM

I've never had a moment's issue with my Kinect. We actually have two, one in my man-cave and one in my son's playroom and both work perfectly.

glassdragon 11-29-11 04:51 PM

Quick question guys. I just got my first 360 in years. Do you still have to keep them in the open so they don't overheat? Have the solved the airflow problem? I want to put it close, but not touching my ps3 on the bottom of my entertainment center. Thanks

Decker 11-29-11 05:06 PM

I wouldn't put it in a tight enclosed space, but the overheating issues are pretty much resolved now. As long as you have some amount of airflow, I think you'll be fine.

Decker 11-29-11 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd (Post 11023910)
I've never had a moment's issue with my Kinect. We actually have two, one in my man-cave and one in my son's playroom and both work perfectly.

:shrug: Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Once we start Dance Central, it seems to work okay, but often times the start-up to games is painful -- especially the Kinect Adventures and the two Kinect Sports games which often seem very frustrating at start up. Mine seems really picky about the sign-in and many times the wrong person will be assigned. Often I have to go all the way to the dashboard to fix things. It's a shame because I sort of think some of the games could be cool, but overall the Kinect is an exercise in frustration for me. That said, I did pick up Once Upon A Monster and Disneyland Kinect for the kids this Christmas and hope that they'll work better. And I haven't tried my copy of Gunstringer yet, so that's another ray of hope for the system.

glassdragon 11-29-11 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 11023945)
I wouldn't put it in a tight enclosed space, but the overheating issues are pretty much resolved now. As long as you have some amount of airflow, I think you'll be fine.

It's not an enclosed entertainment center, the bottom shelf is open on all sides (No backing on it, and nothing on the sides)

Here's a picture of it

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._7526298_n.jpg

fumanstan 11-29-11 06:12 PM

I can't imagine that would be an issue; heck my old 20 GB 360 is still sitting on a TV stand like that one.

pinata242 11-29-11 06:24 PM

Mine is in a much tighter space than that and I (historically) have it on constantly.

glassdragon 11-29-11 06:28 PM

ok, thanks guys. I know in the old days when it first came out the only way to be sure of no overheating was to put it on a table in the middle of the room with nothing around it lol. Glad they mostly got that worked out.

pinata242 11-29-11 07:00 PM

Who twisted your arm to buy one if you're so against them?

glassdragon 11-30-11 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 11024091)
Who twisted your arm to buy one if you're so against them?

I'm not against them at all, I think they are great systems, just as good as the ps3. I was just burned a couple of times long ago by red rings. Now that they have that worked out I can finally own one again.

The only thing you've seen me even slightly talk down on in this forum is Live. Whenever anyone asks which one to get I am always the one saying that it just depends on the exclusives as they both have their pro's and con's with the actual games for the most part being identical on multi-platform.

Decker 12-02-11 01:20 AM

For those who are looking for something to ask Santa for this year, I highly recommend the Wireless Bluetooth Headset. That is an impressive piece of technology. Tiny, comfortable. Crystal-clear sound -- MUCH better than the previous wireless headset they offered (I got one last Black Friday, but it broke in less than six months). This thing is so cool and what's best is that when the phone rings, I just flip the switch on the side of the headset to blue position and I've just answered my phone. After completing the call, I'll switch it back to the green setting and I'm gaming again. Brilliant!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...dL._AA300_.jpg

DJariya 12-02-11 03:56 AM

I didn't see iit mentioned, but the new XBox Dashboard Update will be available on December 6th.

One article I read said that not all the new apps will be available right away. They will apparently be posted in small increments over the next few months.

I hope HBOGo will be in the 1st update though.