Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
http://www.imdb.com/search/title - IMDB advanced title search
horror films by year starting 1895 - wiki breakdown by decade then year

Building of the 31 Film Subset: The Final Phase has begun -&- Crossover Group Voting

2 volunteers are still needed for the subset list.

Print Wikipost

The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-12, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
re: The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines

Originally Posted by dtcarson
I set up my boy with a child Live account (since he's, you know, a child.)
How do I set it up so he can play online?
I'd convert your account to Gold Family, then add him to your plan. Gold Family is specifically geared towards managing your kids' accounts:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/JoinLive/FamilyPackFAQ
Old 03-05-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

MS will credit you 1/2 time for all your months you have left when switching to a Family plan. I had 2 years and my son had a one year Gold membership and when we switched we then had 18 months family. I am about add 2 more ussrs and this is why I switched.
Old 03-10-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/exclu...xt-xbox/092534

MCV has learnt that Microsoft has been telling partners that the Next Xbox will NOT include a disc drive.

The briefings have been issued under what MCV’s source describes as “the strictest NDA” they have ever encountered.

Although the console will not include a disc drive, it will offer compatibility with some sort of interchangeable solid-state card storage, although it is not known whether this will be proprietary or a more standard format such as SD.

Furthermore, a 2013 launch date for the hardware has been confirmed. What is less clear, however, is the intended timing of Microsoft’s announcement.

As revealed by MCV earlier this year, an E3 2012 reveal could still very much be on the cards.

The omission of a disc drive signifies the beginning of a new era for games consoles and represents a potentially savage blow to the already beleaguered video games retail sector.

Of course, retailers will tell you that they are already involved in the digital market. Indeed, GAME is enjoying growing revenue from the sale of digital download cards for digital-only titles and DLC.

Nonetheless, the abolition of physical games is bad news for retail however it is spun. With the Next Xbox positioned as a digital centric platform, the relevance of retail will once once again eroded.

When contacted by MCV Microsoft said that it does not comment on rumour and speculation.

UPDATE: Microsoft has issued a fuller statement to MCV.

“Xbox 360 has found new ways to extend its lifecycle like introducing the world to controller-free experiences with Kinect and re-inventing the console with a new dashboard and new entertainment content partnerships. We are always thinking about what is next for our platform and how to continue to defy the lifecycle convention. Beyond that we do not comment on rumors or speculation.”
At the end ms talks to them and doesn't deny it, they just damage control it. That's usually a pretty solid confirmation

If true then good luck in shooting yourselves in the foot MS. This model worked so well for the psp go that I think you should definitely try it.
Old 03-10-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Wow. That's - wow. I'll admit the Xbox has been great at innovating - with some things that didn't pan out too well - but are we ready to give up 'ownership' and physical disk based games totally?
My two biggest obstacles are pricing and retransferability. I've got tons of XBLA games that I would love to "trade in" for half the point value or something, or even transfer to someone else. I don't see any technical reason that can't be done (it might not be efficient.) I will not pay 60 bucks for a download-only, retail game.
Hard drive space, internet connectivity, broadband penetration, pricing, transferability. I see so many anti-consumer things wrong with this. (Based on status quo for everything else.) The memory card might be a partial solution to the hard drive issue.

I wonder how the game publishers yelled to MS about the used-game market, and how much of a reason that was.

Yes it would kill the used game market and that economy. How would new games be sold? DD directly through the device only? Cards purchasable at retail stores? If not, that would hurt those stores as well.

If this is true, I'll be hitting Gamestop and building up an even larger backlog of used games.

Oh yeah, and thanks for the input on XBL Gold - I did look into the Family plan but there are reasons I haven't bitten that bullet yet.
Old 03-10-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

I think that may actually kill the Xbox brand if this is true.
Old 03-10-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PSP Go was digital distribution only. This says Solid State device, not download....I have no problem with a SS method (cartridge, SD card, whatever) - as long as it doesn't kill the used market. In fact, it could help alleviate load times if it used something like USB 3.0 (5Gbps) vs even 8x Blu-ray (288Mbps). Not to mention how much quieter it will be without the need to spin a physical drive to get data off of it.
Old 03-10-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It could kill it as a gaming device for 'serious' games. I could see it evolving even more to the 'family entertainment box' - between the membership services like Netflix and Hulu, the tie-ins like ESPN and HBO, the music and movie marketplace in Zune, video features like video chat with Kinect, and a greater focus on easy-access games for Kinect or XBLA; not necessarily all shovelware or party games, but games that are less 'epic' and AAA.
I don't necessarily want that to happen, but I could see that being a successful evolution of the device.

OK that's a good point - I at least am interpreting 'disk free' as 'download only' but it could just be a new storage format like Game Boy cartridges or something. There are multiple-gig memory cards now, so it's possible they could still store HD graphics and audio on them. From the article it seems like the implication is games not being on physical media.
Old 03-10-12, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why would it kill it? Seems to be working just fine for Apple and Valve.
Old 03-10-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does Apple sell games, or just music/movies/tv? Maybe as the market ages out, us old fogies who used to blow on carts and throw Atari controllers across the room will be replaced by a younger demographic who is perfectly fine with downloading everything. And being locked to that purchase (I'm surprised at how tight Nintendo's transferability is - I got a new Wii, replaced by Nintendo because my first one was defective, and now I can't even edit my Mii.)

I know valve and steam are huge - I'd be interested in knowing how much of their revenue is from full price games, and how much of it is from discounted purchases.

I've bought one game on steam - Torchlight for five bucks. I have two others that I have one. It might be partly that I'm just not a huge PC gamer anymore; then again, I never truly was.
Old 03-10-12, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
PSP Go was digital distribution only. This says Solid State device, not download....I have no problem with a SS method (cartridge, SD card, whatever) - as long as it doesn't kill the used market. In fact, it could help alleviate load times if it used something like USB 3.0 (5Gbps) vs even 8x Blu-ray (288Mbps). Not to mention how much quieter it will be without the need to spin a physical drive to get data off of it.
This couple with the rumor that they are trying to stop people from doing used games would make sense that they would go all digital. I hope not honestly as it will kill them as competition and competition is good no matter what.

And I don't think sd cards will be that viable. If they want to have any kind of decent space they will have to use 25 to 50 gig sd cards and that is way more expensive than disc based media. They would probably have to raise the price of games if they did this, and that is bad also.

Valve also doesn't have hardware to support, or game developers to appease. They could run steam perfectly fine with just their games. If MS does this then it's going to stop a LOT of people from buying the new system and that means less hardware bought, which means less games bought, which means it will fail. PC is a completely different format and isn't really relevant to console gaming. And Apple content barely works on anything outside of I-products and a pc.

You're going to need to transition people to Digital only, and I think the only one that's gotten that right so far is the Vita. It still has a place for physical games, yet you can still buy downloaded games for a discount. Kind of makes people think twice about a game they KNOW they are going to keep and never sell to get it for 5 bucks less going digital.

My biggest gripe with digital content now is that the developers want to have their cake and eat it too. They want you to buy digital thus saving them money on distribution, but don't want to give you a discount on the content in the process even though they are saving money.

Last edited by glassdragon; 03-10-12 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-10-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm not against this. I'd be down for an SD "changer" built in that holds a few SD cards. Having multiple games at my fingertips unlike disc based media would be a nice step forward without going all digital.
Old 03-10-12, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm all about getting away from physical media because I've never been a seller so I'm not losing on that angle. I do worry about cutting out retail space eventually as the incentives for discounts goes away without competition.

My biggest concern with this direction is that ISPs continue to tighten their grips on bandwidth. Streaming, cloud, on demand, digital downloads, etc. Someone needs to champion this cause for the consumers. With science.
Old 03-10-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe they perfected the holographic storage.
Old 03-10-12, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242
I'm all about getting away from physical media because I've never been a seller so I'm not losing on that angle. I do worry about cutting out retail space eventually as the incentives for discounts goes away without competition.

My biggest concern with this direction is that ISPs continue to tighten their grips on bandwidth. Streaming, cloud, on demand, digital downloads, etc. Someone needs to champion this cause for the consumers. With science.
That is a good point also. With isp's putting bandwidth limitations going forward, this will make it harder to download stuff. At the moment the caps are horrible, but who's to say that they won't get worse in the future.
Old 03-11-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm predicting a SS media drive. Eliminating the disc drive is a cost decision for MS -- they don't give a shit about used games and they certainly can't expect people to d/l everything with bandwidth caps and some people still not having broadband.
Old 03-11-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

It's actually an interesting concept and makes perfectly sense. Just imagine....no scratched discs, no disc size limitations, no drive or laser issues. You'll probably have a smaller unit that if anything will have more inputs, connections, options and transportable...(a.k.a small laptop?).
Old 03-11-12, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Said it before and I will say it again. If they go all digital (download) I may not buy one. Selling games back funds my purchase of new ones. I'd be fine with some sort of solid state card thing if it something I can sell back. I have to wonder, though about that. Those still aren't cheap enough to manufacture to make this cost effective, right? Or will we see a bump up in new game prices to $69.99 to compensate for the increased cost of storage.

FWIW, I think they went all digital, they could very easily alleviate the problem of broadband caps. Just set up kiosks (think Redbox) around the country where you have a flash drive or something similar. You load that into the machine, load the game up on there then transfer it to your system. That's the only way I can think you could do that without people revolting about downloading GBs of games on a regular basis. Retailers would win because they could cut down on floor space for games, while getting a cut of the sale for having the kiosk.
Old 03-11-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Awhile back I read some rumor about two different SKUs - one being a kind of set-top box for casual gamers and the other being a more-traditional system for the hardcore gamers. If that's true, I wonder if we're only hearing about the casual unit. The no-disc-drive thing is hard for me to believe. Digital delivery is the future but it's not ready for prime time just quite yet.
Old 03-11-12, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Those still aren't cheap enough to manufacture to make this cost effective, right? Or will we see a bump up in new game prices to $69.99 to compensate for the increased cost of storage.
No way they're cheap enough yet... I def think the consumer will fund this "improvement". Also, I like your idea of d/l at a kiosk -- hell, Best Buy and Gamestop might turn into a d/l store. But I can't see Amazon giving up on games in the future.
Old 03-11-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think they will go all digital.

500 GB hard drives, and games come in USB flash drives from now on. USB flash drives are really cheap now, and of course you'll have the option to download games too.

I'm sure they will find a way, that I hope is good for us, to tackle the used market.
Old 03-11-12, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just don't see them going completely without a drive. Backwards compatibility is something I really don't think they can do without next gen. However, if there's some way to get those games on your drive in some form, then they might go a different direction.

I'm interested in seeing what HMX is doing with their XBLA title they're going to announce next month. If it's a shell for RB, then I might change my opinion. I'm 99% certain that all of the XBLA stuff will still be playable, at a minimum.

The 2 SKU idea, with an "XBLA only" version, and then a "regular" one with an optical drive, isn't too far of a stretch either.
Old 03-11-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They can always create an application to rip your "old" Xbox 360 drives. It shouldn't be too hard for them.
Old 03-13-12, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Last night I was playing Arkham City and everything was normal with my Xbox, then this morning I logged in and all my achievements are gone. I logged in at Xbox.com and it tells me the same thing there.

Has anyone had their achievements go bye bye before, and is there a way to get them back?
Old 03-13-12, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've heard from a few people who had that happen today. I'm sure it'll get sorted out.
Old 03-13-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, apparently it's more than just a few people. But MS is aware. From TrueAchievements.com:
Random resets and bugs across the service

For you non-Twitterers, the Facebook-less and the like, you may only just be tuning in to the chaos hitting Xbox LIVE at the moment. Gamers are experienced sudden drops or total resets in their scores in a seemingly random pattern.

Our Twitter feed has exploded with feedback and we haven't observed any common link between these issues. So far the documented effects are:

- Gamerscore drops or total resets
- Entire achievement lists unlocking in games upon boot
- Unlocked achievements becoming unlockable again
- Loss of avatar props
- Loss of previous activities on Xbox LIVE

Xbox Support have advised signing out of and back into your profile to resolve the issue and restore the loss of data.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.