Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Darksiders (PS3/360)...Bring on the Apocalypse!!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Darksiders (PS3/360)...Bring on the Apocalypse!!

Old 02-16-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Darksiders (PS3/360)...Bring on the Apocalypse!!

If that demo doesn't let you save your progress for when you buy the main game I will probably skip it entirely. I don't want to replay a 90 minute section of a game.
Old 02-16-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Yeah, I saw that too. I wonder if that will actually encourage people to buy the game. After all, once they finish the demo, they'd have to go get the game and replay all that dungeon stuff again. It seems like disincentive to actually purchase the game unless there's some way that you can keep your progress and Achievements from the demo once you purchase the game, XBLA-style.

Plus you'll probably get carpal tunnel from having that much free game to play.
Old 02-17-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 108 Likes on 52 Posts

For the early buyers on this, if you got the War action figure with it and don't want it as a collectable, you might want to ebay it soon. I put mine up last week and it just sold for $26 + s/h.
Old 02-17-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Playing the game now. It's pretty fun, mildly frustrating in places.
Old 02-18-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts

Anybody know what the blurb was about getting a free copy of Red Faction: Guerilla by using the "code" from Darksiders? I saw this scroll on the bottom of the screen while watching X-play last night.
Old 02-18-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go back about 20 posts. FWIW, I haven't received any sort of shipping notification or anything yet.
Old 02-18-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

Plus you'll probably get carpal tunnel from having that much free game to play.
Okay, I'm not sure if you're just trying to be funny, but that's a pretty useless comment. I wasn't saying it was bad for gamers -- for those with only a passing interest in the game, I think it would be great. I question the business sense in giving out a 90 minute demo because it probably will satisfy those with only a little interest in the game (it might make them less likely to buy the game than if it wasn't available), and those who are likely to buy it aren't going to be too happy to have to replay the first 90 minutes of the game all over again. It's an interesting move to have such a huge demo, but from a marketing standpoint, I think it's a bad idea. You could get a really good idea of the game play from playing a single level or two in the demo, so what's the logic in giving much more?

I know if the Heavy Rain demo were 90 minutes long instead of the 20 that it actually runs, I'd be pretty annoyed actaully, though that is a different sort of game than Darksiders.

Last edited by Decker; 02-18-10 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-18-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Okay, I'm not sure if you're just trying to be funny, but that's a pretty useless comment. I wasn't saying it was bad for gamers -- for those with only a passing interest in the game, I think it would be great. I question the business sense in giving out a 90 minute demo because it probably will satisfy those with only a little interest in the game (it might make them less likely to buy the game than if it wasn't available), and those who are likely to buy it aren't going to be too happy to have to replay the first 90 minutes of the game all over again. It's an interesting move to have such a huge demo, but from a marketing standpoint, I think it's a bad idea. You could get a really good idea of the game play from playing a single level or two in the demo, so what's the logic in giving much more?

I know if the Heavy Rain demo were 90 minutes long instead of the 20 that it actually runs, I'd be pretty annoyed actaully, though that is a different sort of game than Darksiders.
I think the delayed release should also factor in a bit here. Had this demo been out the same time the game was first available, I may be more inclined to agree with you, but as it is, the game will have been out for a month now. This is really a great extra push to show those unaware, or those that heard it's only a Zelda/GoW clone, what the game is all about. Provide some extended gameplay and go from there. I think it's smart actually.

Of course I played the thing for 5 hours on the PS3 and then restarted everything and played through 100% on the 360. So maybe I'm not the best person to think that a 90 minute demo won't keep people from playing the actual game if they like it.

Last edited by superfro; 02-18-10 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-18-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even if you don't have the "special code" insert, but did buy a new copy, you can still get Red Faction and the bonus:

Got yourself a copy of Darksiders but, for whatever reason (admit it, you lost it), don't have the slip of paper it came with containing the "mystery code" redeemable for a free copy of Red Faction Guerrilla and digital art book? Seems you're not out of luck -- unless you bought it second-hand (or "pre-played," if you will).

Vigil has announced via its official Darksiders blog that those without codes, but who purchased the game new can still get the free RFG and disc full o' artwork. It's a little more work than simply clicking a link and typing in a code, but, hey, free is free. Those who want in on the promotion must fill out a form, provide "your original purchase receipt of a NEW copy of Darksiders," the barcode from the cover insert and, like everyone else, shipping and "handling" (we never quite got what that is, exactly).

You have until March 7 to get in on the promotion, whatever your situation may be.
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/18/da...thout-codes-b/
Old 02-18-10, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by superfro View Post
I think the delayed release should also factor in a bit here. Had this demo been out the same time the game was first available, I may be more inclined to agree with you, but as it is, the game will have been out for a month now. This is really a great extra push to show those unaware, or those that heard it's only a Zelda/GoW clone, what the game is all about. Provide some extended gameplay and go from there. I think it's smart actually.

Of course I played the thing for 5 hours on the PS3 and then restarted everything and played through 100% on the 360. So maybe I'm not the best person to think that a 90 minute demo won't keep people from playing the actual game if they like it.
I'll be curious to see if it sparks more people to buy the game. Thinking more about it, if I played the first 90 minutes of this game I honestly don't know if it would make me more or less likely to buy it. It's a game I like but don't love. I don't regret getting it for a good used price, but I can totally see myself trying it through the first dungeon and saying "yeah, it's okay, but nothing I need to play again". Once the demo comes out, I wonder what others will say about it...
Old 02-23-10, 12:13 AM

From the Playstation Blog today:

Coming to PSN this Week: Darksiders Demo
Posted by Clint Chapman // Global Brand Manager, THQ

It’s been over a month since Darksiders released with near-universal critical praise, and the team at Vigil Studios is still hard at work. On Thursday, Vigil releases a demo for Darksiders. This isn’t your typical demo, however. It packs an unprecedented 90 minutes of gameplay, encompassing the entire first dungeon of the game: the Twilight Cathedral. I had a chance to talk to Vigil’s Creative Director and comic book legend, Joe Madureira (Joe Mad) — along with composers Mike Reagan and Cris Valesco — to get some more info on the demo:

Now that Darksiders has been out for a few weeks, what do you think about the fans’ reactions to the game?
Joe: We are incredibly excited to finally get Darksiders into people’s hands! The response has been fantastic. We already have armies of ravenous fans clamoring for a sequel, and that’s a dream come true for us. For Vigil, the development of Darksiders was almost as epic a journey as War’s is in the game—so of course, we’re excited to finally see it through to its end. We look forward to hearing from even more gamers over the next few months as they check out the demo, and news of the game spreads.

Let’s talk about the demo. What can fans expect from the demo, and where does this take place within the main story?

Joe: In this demo, War has been tasked with retrieving the heart of one of the Destroyer’s chosen. Tiamat, a massive demon queen is not about to give it up without a fight, so you’ll have to pry it from her cold, dead body. Luckily, this is just the sort of thing that the Horsemen of the Apocalypse are good at—and War is probably the toughest of the bunch. Of course at this point, War’s powers have been stripped from him, so he’ll have to use every weapon at his disposal, and locate the ancient artifact called the Cross Blade. Its mastery is vital to navigating the Cathedral, and ultimately bringing down Tiamat. The Cathedral itself is chock full of puzzles and other hazards, and of course, it is home to a host of the Destroyers minions. Be especially wary as you approach the walking pile of cadaverous flesh that is—the Jailer! When you meet him, you’ll see why…

Darksiders is obviously a game with an epic scope. Why choose to focus the demo on the Twilight Cathedral?

Joe: It’s true, there is so much to do, and so much to see in Darksiders, that it was difficult to pick one area to feature. We liked the Cathedral because it’s a self contained chunk of the game that’s fairly early on, so it’s easier to pick up and play. It’s also the first ‘dungeon’ experience in the game, so it’s a good one for players to learn the game’s structure. The dungeon exploration, using keys, solving puzzles, mastering the dungeon’s gear item ( Crossblade ) and of course, introducing tougher enemies and boss battles. It really gives you a taste of the adventure aspect of Darksiders, and hopefully will show gamers just how far from being a typical hack-n-slash Darksiders actually is.

After playing the demo, what do you want fans to know about the rest of the game?

Joe: By the time you beat the demo, you’re going to realize one thing—this is an adventure game! That’s right, you can go back to any area even after you beat it. You’ll want to do this because War is not equipped to find everything his first time through most areas. As War gains new abilities and items, he will be able to unlock areas of the levels previously unattainable. This creates an interesting pace, where combat is carefully balanced with exploration and puzzle solving. It’s not just a button mashing combat drill! That said, I do think it’s important to note that we at Vigil just LOVE to create kick ass enemies. There are some truly cool looking creatures in this game that make for fun and memorable battles! The bosses in particular are a lot of fun and end in a rewarding mess of gore! So what are you waiting for? Check out the demo, and pick up a copy today. YOU MUST OWN THIS GAME PEOPLE!!!!
If you’ve been on Home lately, you may have seen the occasional Angel, Demon, Horseman, or Man-Horse walking around. We wanted to give the denizens of Home a chance show their allegiance to Heaven, Hell, or the Horsemen. We tried to pick some of the more iconic images from the game – including angel wings and demon horns. It’s a real credit to Joe and the rest of the team at Vigil that the characters and costumes look just as cool in the “real-world” Home environment as in the “comic-inspired” game environment. What’s most impressive is that we were able to take some of the in-game models and port them directly into the Home environment.

We recently released War’s armor with the Mask of Shadows. My favorite item, however, is the Ruin horse head mask. It’s at the same time awesome and disturbing. I can’t deny the fact that I was partially inspired by a certain burlap-skinned character from one of my favorite side-scrolling platformers. If you’re a Darksiders fan, or just want to show your good, evil, or creepy side – go check out the Darksiders virtual items!

Lastly, I spoke with composers Mike Reagan and Cris Valesco about the incredible music in Darksiders. You may not know their names, but you definitely know their work – God of War and God of War II being two of their most well-known titles.
What other games have you worked together on?

Mike: This was really the first project that Cris and I truly collaborated and wrote a theme together. Previously, we had both been hired individually to work on the God of War series.

Cris: Mike and I have previously worked on the God of War series together as well as Van Helsing. However, this was the first time that we were actually able to collaborate on actual music. In the past we’ve always just worked on our own music independently. This time we were really able to brainstorm on the Darksiders Main Theme and I think it really shows.

What was your inspiration for the “sound” of Darksiders?

Mike: Spiritual warfare was a key motivator, and we wanted to create a sound that could be heard in complete darkness and convey a haunting experience. The Choir as well as the solo boy soprano sung by Zack Weisberg really added something special to the sound.

Cris: Darksiders clearly has some religious connotations attached to it and we wanted to take advantage of that with the choir. They’re singing in Sanskrit throughout. This language dates back as far as 1500 BC so we thought this would help give the music a sense of weight and age.

What is your favorite track?

Mike: I’m really proud of the Main Theme that Cris and I did together, and the pieces with longer melodies that work really well over the Boss themes as well.

Cris: The Main Theme that Mike and I wrote is probably the stand-out track in the game. It’s definitely my favorite piece. I also really liked the boss music that Mike wrote for the Greaver. Of my own music in the game, I am partial to the final boss music. This track and the Main Theme were actually performed live at the Night In Fantasia ’09 concert in Sydney this last summer too!
Thanks for reading. I hope everyone enjoys the demo!

Last edited by Decker; 02-23-10 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-25-10, 11:18 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 321 Likes on 283 Posts

just a note that the demo is out for Gold members. got a code and am downloading it now.
Old 02-26-10, 04:21 AM

Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by darkside View Post
If that demo doesn't let you save your progress for when you buy the main game I will probably skip it entirely. I don't want to replay a 90 minute section of a game.
It doesn't let you save your progress. At least I couldn't find any way.

Played about 20 minutes. I got stuck in one area and wasn't sure what to do next. Wanted to save the game and come back later. But without the save, I'm just gonna give up.

From what I played, seems like the typical hack-n-slash. Not my type of game.
Old 02-26-10, 08:27 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 321 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
It doesn't let you save your progress. At least I couldn't find any way.

Played about 20 minutes. I got stuck in one area and wasn't sure what to do next. Wanted to save the game and come back later. But without the save, I'm just gonna give up.

From what I played, seems like the typical hack-n-slash. Not my type of game.
that really blows there is no save. very nonsensical. i don't care about saving if i buy the full version eventually, but i don't want to play hours (with what it would take me) to finish just the demo.
Old 02-27-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished the demo. I thought it was really interesting, but also very frustrating. I died a bunch of times by hitting the jump button just a beat late, and I found the last two boss rooms extremely aggrevating.

I really dug the "mix-tape" vibe though. I saw lots of Zelda and GoW, but also a bit of Prince of Persia and some Half-Life.

Edit to add: The Jailer was pretty badass.

Last edited by chess; 02-27-10 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-28-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I beat the demo and dug the game. Mark Hamil as that watcher was a nice surprise. I think Ill pick the game up... bargain bin ofcourse

I was iffy on the fighting, than when I reached that dungeon where I fought random guys, than a puking monster and 3 of those armor guys, was a BITCH! It forced me to acutally figure out a way to play with my brain and not just hack and slash. I kinda dug that thought it pissed me off at first. After that I was basially unstopable
Old 02-28-10, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
I beat the demo and dug the game. Mark Hamil as that watcher was a nice surprise. I think Ill pick the game up... bargain bin of course.
Ditto...I already got it, but can't play it since it's a b'day present for my son. I'm cool with $40 for his birthday.

I was iffy on the fighting, than when I reached that dungeon where I fought random guys, than a puking monster and 3 of those armor guys, was a BITCH! It forced me to acutally figure out a way to play with my brain and not just hack and slash. I kinda dug that thought it pissed me off at first. After that I was basially unstopable
It felt to me like those guys moved faster than I could adjust the camera, and I found it pretty aggravating. I also didn't like block and dodge being the same button.

Still, I really dug the game and am looking forward to a new twist on Zelda.
Old 02-28-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chess, you have a pm.
Old 03-02-10, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by chess View Post
Ditto...I already got it, but can't play it since it's a b'day present for my son. I'm cool with $40 for his birthday.

It felt to me like those guys moved faster than I could adjust the camera, and I found it pretty aggravating. I also didn't like block and dodge being the same button.

Still, I really dug the game and am looking forward to a new twist on Zelda.
Oh yea that block/dodge thing sucked, I kept hitting the stick ala GoW and moved the camera instead. I seemed to move just as fast as the enemies, but to avoid them the best, jump alot.

The music in the game was real good too, Id like the soundtrack
Old 03-02-10, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
Chess, you have a pm.
I just want to say for the record that dino88 is THE MAN (or the wo-man as the case may be)!!!!1!! Red Faction ordered. $45 for the two games feels about right to me.

I also played with the demo a bit more, and I'm loving it despite some difficulty with the stronger enemies, the camera, and the jumping mechanics. I especially dig that little tune that plays when you open a door or solve something. I can't hear it without mimicking it, and sometimes I add it when the game doesn't!

It's gonna be tough to wait to play this thing as it scratches my Zelda itch in a great way.
Old 03-04-10, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finished this with the platinum trophy earlier in the week after about 30 hours of gameplay. I really enjoyed this, and hope there is a sequel. The hardest difficulty setting was just right; challenging without being overly frustrating.

It's funny that all of the God of War fans are comparing it to that, because the reversed happened to me. After playing Darksiders, I downloaded the God of War III demo to try out, having never played a GoW game before. The combat was just different enough to annoy me, and I got so bored that I turned it off before the end.
Old 03-07-10, 09:59 PM

Well I didnt get the game.... will eventually... but I was able to get in on the free red faction and art book for $5
Old 03-11-10, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Finished the game. Towards the end, I was getting tired of playing, so I didn't bother looking for everything I had missed. I got some chills with the end cinematic, though. That was a pretty sweet ending, as far as games go.
Old 03-15-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i was expecting an easy game from what i read about it, but its alot harder than i expected.

There were times when i didn't know where to go or what to do next.
The controls are very complicated with the crossbow.
I am now stuck on Tiamat.

You have to

1. pick up a bomb
2. throw it at her
3. target a torch then target her then fire your crossbow

and at the same time, keep dashing to avoid getting hit.
I cannot get thru this.
thinking of throwing out this game. really pissing me off.
Old 03-15-10, 04:19 PM

I was stuck on her too but, eventually bested her. Try targeting her mouth with the bombs, they seemed to work really well

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.