Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Darksiders (PS3/360)...Bring on the Apocalypse!!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm surprised I haven't seen mention of this game yet. The videos I've seen look badass and the reviews for it, so far, have only been great (avg. 91 on metacritic...only 5 reviews though). It's being compared to Zelda, Metroid and God of War. Not that bad of company. I have no interest in Bayonetta after the demo and Dante's Inferno looks to be a rental only. This is the game I'm looking forward to. Comes out next Tuesday, anyone else interested?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DdRUKq5IEW8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DdRUKq5IEW8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/keyaQIpJmr8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/keyaQIpJmr8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Last edited by dino88; 12-30-09 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-30-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Darksiders (PS3/360)...Bring on the Apocalypse!!

That actually looks pretty cool. I hadn't heard anything about it at all.
Old 12-30-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I played it at E3, here are my impressions from the first 20 or so minutes:
hack hack slash walk hack hack zzzzzz...

I saw zero evidence of it being anything like a Zelda game - just another (very) WEAK God of War clone.

But again, I was only playing the intro of an early build.
Old 01-06-10, 09:02 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see a few of you guys playing this game, and I really think I might like this...thoughts?
Old 01-06-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm playing it right now (rental) and I'm loving it. It definitely does have a Zelda feel to it and can hopefully hold me off until the next in that franchise. The boss fights are awesome and the different ways he finishes them never gets old. I loved the God of War games, but I've always loved the exploring and puzzles more than the hack, hack, hack. This gives me that, although they definitely could have added more in the puzzle department.

As for the complaints, there is a problem w/ screen tear when you pan the camera, but I hear this is only on the 360 version. So if you have the choice, go with PS3.
I'm also finding combat fairly easy (playing normal). I've only had to fight one (maybe 2?) boss more than once. If you've been playing games for a long time, you may want to bump up the difficulty level.

Last edited by dino88; 01-07-10 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-06-10, 11:18 PM
gamer for life

IGN usually mentions a difference, and I noticed that they seem to say nothing, and in fact say both versions have problems. For the most part it seems to be fanboys that are talking about the screen tearing, cause they are probably still upset about Bayonetta. When there is a small enough difference that big review sites don't mention it, I dont care, and will pickt he xbox..cause I love my xbox controller.
Old 01-06-10, 11:19 PM
gamer for life

thanks for the reply dino...
Old 01-07-10, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been playing it (purchased) and liking it a lot. I know it's tiring by this point to hear someone else call it a cross between God of War and Zelda, but that's pretty much exactly what it is. GoW for combat, Zelda for puzzles/dungeons/collectibles. It even has the "light all of the torches in the room to open the way forward" thing!

I'm playing on the 360 and the screen tearing is extremely noticeable. It doesn't really bother me or interfere with gameplay, it's just a bit annoying. Supposedly a patch is coming from the developers.

Absolutely zero regrets for purchasing it, if that helps.
Old 01-07-10, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How far are you MoviePage? I'm going after the last heart right now.
Old 01-07-10, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
IGN usually mentions a difference, and I noticed that they seem to say nothing, and in fact say both versions have problems. For the most part it seems to be fanboys that are talking about the screen tearing, cause they are probably still upset about Bayonetta. When there is a small enough difference that big review sites don't mention it, I dont care, and will pickt he xbox..cause I love my xbox controller.
The 360 is my favorite console and I'll confirm that the tearing on it is terrible. I pan the camera a lot when I'm playing and whenever you move it, it looks like crap. It doesn't seem to be a problem if you're just moving around and not rotating the camera, but that seems pretty impractical. Anyway, the game is fun enough that I'll get sucked in and stop noticing the tearing, but any time the action slows down, it becomes very blatant and annoying. If the problem isn't there on the PS3, this is the first multi-platform game I'd strongly suggest buying for that system instead of the 360.
Old 01-07-10, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dino88
How far are you MoviePage? I'm going after the last heart right now.
I just obtained and handed over the first heart, so I still have a ways to go.
Old 01-07-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by maxfisher
The 360 is my favorite console and I'll confirm that the tearing on it is terrible. I pan the camera a lot when I'm playing and whenever you move it, it looks like crap. It doesn't seem to be a problem if you're just moving around and not rotating the camera, but that seems pretty impractical. Anyway, the game is fun enough that I'll get sucked in and stop noticing the tearing, but any time the action slows down, it becomes very blatant and annoying. If the problem isn't there on the PS3, this is the first multi-platform game I'd strongly suggest buying for that system instead of the 360.
Although the 360 version has slightly better textures, more vibrant colors and less jaggies (better aliasing) than the PS3 version - and while it's not the night&day difference that the v-sync is, they contribute enough to keep the competition between the two versions from being a total wash in favor of the PS3.
Old 01-07-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Had to go with the PS3 version as it was all rented on the 360.

Enjoying it quite a bit so far, much more than Bayonetta anyway. Only a few hours in, but I'll echo the comments earlier about the difficulty. I'm on Normal and not really having any troubles at all. (Which is what I prefer anyway.)
Old 01-07-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm only about an hour and a half into it so far, as Silent Hill: Shattered Memories has completely absorbed me over the last two days and taken up almost all of my gaming time.

So...yeah, Darksiders is pretty fun so far. Completely derivative, but I like the old Saturday morning cartoon vibe to the characters and plot. It's totally cheesy and over the top, but in a way that's enjoyable if you don't take it seriously. Once I wrap up Silent Hill, I'll delve further into this one, and I look forward to getting to the more Zelda-esque segments.
Old 01-07-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I look forward to getting to the more Zelda-esque segments.
Ditto. That has yet to really show itself to me as well.
Old 01-07-10, 08:09 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I was just reading about this game on wikipedia -- apparently, Joe Mad of 90s X-Men comics fame was the creative director. Also, it's been banned in the United Arab Emerites.

For those who have played this on the 360 -- are the tearing issues bad enough that you would recommend not buying this?
Old 01-07-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This video "head 2 head" (if you can see it) states that the 360 version has a better framerate than the PS3 version, and that it's not a clear cut choice.

<object width='480' height='270' id='ignplayer' data='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'><param name='movie' value='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' /><param name='allowfullscreen' value='true' /><param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always' /><param name='bgcolor' value='#000000' /><param name='flashvars' value='vgroup=darksiders_h2h_010410&article=1058062' /></object>

Originally Posted by IGN
"Here's where things get more interesting. There are a handful of noticeable differences between the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of Darksiders. While both are good looking games, I can't clearly say one is without a doubt better than the other, and here's why. On Xbox 360, you get more vibrant colors and, in some cases, more detail, which is great considering how much skill Vigil displayed in crafting an cohesive and interesting art style and skillfully applying color to enhance the feel and tone of the world. What's less exciting to hear is that you'll run into framerate issues from time to time and there's quite a bit of screen tearing, even in cases where you're simply walking and keeping the camera still, which can will noticeable and annoying. It's not going to ruin your play experience unless you're ultrasensitive to that kind of thing, but it will stand out.

With the PlayStation 3 version, the amount of screen tearing seems to be noticeably less. It's still present in some capacity, but to less of a degree than with the Xbox 360 version. Unfortunately, this comes along with an experience that isn't quite as smooth[meaning more framerate drops] and a more subdued color palette. If you're playing only on PlayStation 3 this isn't something you're going to notice as much since it's still a fine looking product, but it's more obvious when you put both versions next to each other.

Basically, the Xbox 360 version looks better but has more screen tearing. There also doesn't seem to be an install for the PlayStation 3 version, whereas you can dump the Xbox 360 version onto your hard drive if you've got 6.6 GB of free space.

I say all this just so you know that when I list the Xbox 360 version as being the better one, I'm only doing so because it was prettier. If you detest screen tearing, I'd recommend you stick with the PlayStation 3 version. "

possible 360 version patch:

"The word of mouth surrounding Darksiders has generally been positive, but one issue that's emerged early on is persistent screen tearing in the Xbox 360 version of the game. However, Vigil Games representatives have said that they are aware of the problem, and are working on a fix.
Speaking with IGN, Vigil Games head Joe Madeuira said, "It's something that's really not a difficult fix for us and so we're going to implement a patch to resolve the problem. We're fairly certain it'll happen really soon so look out for it."

Last edited by slop101; 01-07-10 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I beat the game tonight. Loved it. Although the boss battles were fairly easy, I still enjoyed the hell (and heaven) out of it. I put in 20 hours, with a few of those hours spent just looking for bonus shite and still not finding everything. I didn't get the Abyssal Armor (found 7/10) or all the Artifacts (19/20 soldier, 3/6 champion).

Let me know when the words Top Hat means anything to you guys and we'll chat.
Old 01-08-10, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
I was just reading about this game on wikipedia -- apparently, Joe Mad of 90s X-Men comics fame was the creative director. Also, it's been banned in the United Arab Emerites.

For those who have played this on the 360 -- are the tearing issues bad enough that you would recommend not buying this?
I wouldn't go that far. I'm about five hours in and really enjoying it, despite the fact that the tearing is really irritating in parts. It's just too bad they released it without taking care of this problem, especially if it's the easy fix they claim.
Old 01-08-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was just reading about this game on wikipedia -- apparently, Joe Mad of 90s X-Men comics fame was the creative director.
Which is why everybody looks like they stepped out of Battlechasers.
Old 01-08-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, not at all. The game is good enough to outweigh the relatively minor annoyance.
Old 01-08-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dino88
Let me know when the words Top Hat means anything to you guys and we'll chat.
It means something to me. Just finished the second dungeon and boss last night, and returned the heart. I'm taking my time and trying to find everything along the way.
Old 01-08-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

About 4 hours in so far. I was very pleased to see the homage to
Spoiler:
Panzer Dragoon
with the part leading up to the first real dungeon.
Old 01-08-10, 12:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

will there be a demo of this on XBL? i keep looking. what is the criteria for which games get demos and which don't, just per company?

i would really like to try out to see if i get into it...
Old 01-08-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no one knows. if you want to try something that doesn't have a demo. Rent it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.