Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Saboteur

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Saboteur

So I bought this and the new Splinter Cell game at the same time. I tried Splinter Cell first, good game and all, then I tried this one. I've gotta tell ya, I love The Saboteur so much that it has totally killed my desire to play Splinter Cell at all anymore.

This game is awesome guys, thanks for the recommendation!
Old 04-22-10, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i'm sold.

will buy this later on.
Old 04-22-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
So I bought this and the new Splinter Cell game at the same time. I tried Splinter Cell first, good game and all, then I tried this one. I've gotta tell ya, I love The Saboteur so much that it has totally killed my desire to play Splinter Cell at all anymore.

This game is awesome guys, thanks for the recommendation!
Can I have your copy of Splinter Cell Conviction since you won't be playing it anymore?
Old 04-22-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting development indeed. If you see it received warm comments in the first couple of posts. Then I was skeptic at first since they closed the studio that developed the game, what if the game was buggy? who was going to fix it? That was in late December. People basically stopped talking about the game in early January, and everyone here gave it good reviews. Flash forward to March, this game was still in my radar and it hit $20 with a special deal, so I decided to resurrect this thread. The rest is history.
Old 04-22-10, 04:49 PM

interesting indeed.

i liked the premise of the game, and even though there were good initial reviews, there didn't seem to be many reviews period.

glad to know that more and more people are liking the game. especially those that were skeptical and/or hesitant initially.

i wonder if people like it more because it's only $20 or less now. would you still like it if it still cost $60?
Old 04-22-10, 05:01 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
interesting indeed.

i wonder if people like it more because it's only $20 or less now. would you still like it if it still cost $60?
Yes!
Old 04-22-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Having played it now, it certainly would be worth $60 to me. More so than the new SC.

I'll put it this way, I usually only like to have one "story" type game that I play through at a time, so I picked this over SC. I've already sold it for what I paid for it since I got in on that deal at K-Mart, and I want to focus just on The Saboteur. I may end up beating SC before I ship it off next week though since the story is so short.

I didn't even really know about the "climbing" aspect of this one, it's so well done in my opinion.
Old 04-23-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, knowing what I know now I'd pay $60 without hesitating.

Without knowing 9 times of 10 I'd skip the game, the reviews were average or worse, the development studio closed, etc. And I don't think they sold the game good enough, I know, it's because they were closing the studio, but EA could have made a better job with advertising and that kind of stuff. For me this game is a surprise at the same level of Crackdown. You never expected to like the game that much. Too much.
Old 04-24-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I'd have paid full price as well. It's a great game.
Old 04-25-10, 02:15 AM
gamer for life

Almost done with this, and it really is a gem. The perks have been fun...and the slow upgrading of your character is always good....some complaints...

Your gun sways to much, even after upgrades.....

No fast travel system, but not a big deal since the world is really small...or at least it feels small compared to Just Cause 2...lol

Stealth system is interesting in concept, but you learn early on that if you want to take a whole mission on in stealth only, it will make the time it takes to finish it about 5-10 times longer. It is just easier to go in guns a blazing...this could have been fixed by simply making you able to move around without giving up your disguise as long as you are not seen shooting, or planting stuff..

I do love the acting of the characters, with the over the top stuff...while the game does not play as well as Just Cause 2, it has a much more interesting story, with much more dynamic characters. I love the main characters one liners...like when they told him about the highest honor in Britain and he said thanks, that he now knew what to wipe his ass with....

Not near as good as Just Cause 2, but well worth 20 bucks if anyone is thinking about it...(I could see how a lot of people would like this more than Just Cause 2 because it is more structured)
Old 04-25-10, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The racing sucks. Are they all as bad as the first one?
Old 04-25-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
The racing sucks. Are they all as bad as the first one?
This is what put the game in the toilet for me. I couldn't get past the racing element and was stuck there so, off to gamestop she went.
Old 04-25-10, 10:51 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by buckee1
This is what put the game in the toilet for me. I couldn't get past the racing element and was stuck there so, off to gamestop she went.
I have only done the race at the start of the game, and that was easy, and two side quest races that were also easy. As far as I can tell there is one more side quest race and I think you race the main enemy again, but so far, even though I hate races, I have not had a problem.
Old 04-25-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I found the first race so incredibly easy that I have actually been wondering if it was even possible to fail that race. Like it was more like an interactive cutscene, it was something that the game allowed" you to win to continue that part of the game.

The driving in general doesn't bother me. I've played GTA type games and used so many different types of vehicles so much that I pretty much have the driving totally down.
Old 04-25-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

There are only a few races so that was never meant to be a focus of the game. They were all easy to win and I hate racing in games. Imagine how I felt going after the AWP trophy in GTA IV. Me and a buddy of mine essentially did races for about 8 hours a day for three days straight to get both of our AWP trophies. We had to run through all of the races twice for him as it didn't register the first time through.
Old 04-25-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hmmm all this talk about the game I think I might want to get it. Hell if someone here ends up beating it and wanting to trade it hit me up.
Old 04-25-10, 11:40 PM
gamer for life

I finished it..and I have to say the last few missions were great...actually surprisingly fantastic. The Terror Shotgun is badass....and the levels brought you inside in a room by room clearing that really got the blood pumping....fantastic job, and sad to see Pandemic gone.
Old 04-26-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The race I was talking about was the one where he wants you to get to the finish line in 1:45. I can never do it.
Old 04-26-10, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the Terror weapons are really good.

I had a little trouble with races too, but they didn't ruin the game for me. I was stuck in the first one, at the beginning of the game, and then in the one that nickdawgy commented above.

nickdawgy, you are not stopping at any of the nazi's checkpoints, right? That's the first thing, pretty obvious, but just to be sure. Now, I used the Aurora, that's my favorite race car in the game, I completed all the races with that car, and that's one of the cars that's allowed in the races. Finally, don't follow the path the game shows you, check the map and find an easier path. In my case, I found a route where you don't cross the river until the last, and then just go straight to the finish line. I was able to get there 3-5 seconds before the required time and I suck at driving.
Old 04-26-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

If you have problems with the races you can just jack each of the drivers of the other cars out before you start the race then race however you want.
Old 04-26-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I read about that and tried that but that didn't work for me.

So I had to win the races. And of course that doesn't help for the get to the finish line in 1:45 race.
Old 04-26-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Raul3
Yeah, the Terror weapons are really good.

I had a little trouble with races too, but they didn't ruin the game for me. I was stuck in the first one, at the beginning of the game, and then in the one that nickdawgy commented above.

nickdawgy, you are not stopping at any of the nazi's checkpoints, right? That's the first thing, pretty obvious, but just to be sure. Now, I used the Aurora, that's my favorite race car in the game, I completed all the races with that car, and that's one of the cars that's allowed in the races. Finally, don't follow the path the game shows you, check the map and find an easier path. In my case, I found a route where you don't cross the river until the last, and then just go straight to the finish line. I was able to get there 3-5 seconds before the required time and I suck at driving.
No, I never stopped at the checkpoint. It seems like I'd always crash during the race (or I guess it's the time trial?) or agro some Nazis
Old 05-29-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, 66 hours later I'm 1000/1000 on this game. I think it could be done in a shorter time, but I was having a lot of fun. I felt kind of sad when I saw the last achievement pop up knowing that there are no chances of a sequel.
Old 05-30-10, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I finished the game, too. Great ending. Still need to get all the achievements, though.
Old 06-30-10, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Universally it sounds like reviewers feel this was pushed out about 6 months early so they could shut down Pandemic and there are rough edges and bugs that really should have been ironed out before release. To rush a game out now, immediately after so many AAA titles makes very little sense to me. I'll wait until it his $20 at Target clearance or something.
You can now get this for $19.96 at WalMart. Have read $10.00 at WalMart also. YMMV. Well worth the money.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.