Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Ultimate Battle Free Pinball Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-22, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Re: The Ultimate Battle Free Pinball Thread

Also heads up : Sony has released a PS5 version of the old PSP game Pinball Heroes. They had 8 tables, based on Playstation franchises like WipEout, Motorstorm, Fat Princess, Pain and Uncharted. I had all the tables back in the day.
It doesn't look great, and in scrolling mode is a little hard to follow, but it's still pretty cool. Free with PS Plus Premium.
Old 02-02-23, 04:44 PM

It's finally coming out! Who's excited to buy all their old tables again?
Old 02-06-23, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

^If they are truly updated and play better, I have no problem with it.

I always have view pinball like this to be a relative bargain. Considering if I go to the local place that have a small variety of new tables, those now run a buck to a $1.50 to play once. And if you want to buy one...just one...it is 7 grand.

So, I am fine paying even a couple of hundred dollars for stuff like this due to the gameplay I get out of it in comparison to the real thing.

Though I do have a friend who is recently dove headfirst into the virtual pinball community and now he is building his own table. The custom games and rebuild of old and new real tables you can get for free are phenomenal. But even though the tables and software are free, him building one is still costing him thousands. At least it will play like a real table and have unlimited games though.
Old 02-16-23, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had no problem and intended to rebuy all if not all of my tables. Hell, I had enough credit saved up in MS Rewards that I could’ve bought everything today. But as of right now I’m not buying any tables. They lied to us for a year talking about how coins would allow individual tables to be bought, offer better discounts, faster updates, and even allow cross buy. Suddenly, right before console release they backtrack on all of that because some PC users cried about coins. Now we’re stuck with mainly bundled tables, purchases on only one platform, and they didn’t even bother with a sale on tables for launch like they said they would. They didn’t get rid of coins though, they’re still purchasable, but only can be used on stupid cosmetics or the over priced Pinball Pass. For $15 a month or $100 a year you can access most of their tables, I think there are some that it doesn’t include, and unlike what they said prelaunch it also doesn’t work cross-platform.
Old 02-16-23, 12:24 PM

I will buy some of the new tables today, but fuck the Pinball pass and am pissed that there isn't the promised discount for the older tables.
I will buy them once they go on sale. Until then I'm fine playing them on the Pinball FX3 PS4 version.
Old 02-17-23, 12:50 AM

Well I had been looking forward to this day and hadn't bought any tables in quite a while. I bought the Secrets and Shadows pack, the Gearbox pack, the DreamWorks pack, Snoopy pinball, World War Z, the new Star Wars two-pack and that original Lovecraftian horror table. That's $70 for fourteen new tables. Happy to grab them.
But fuck if I am gonna rebuy all my old tables at full cost. No way, no thanks. They might be better in the new game, but it's not all that noticeable to me TBH. I own them and can play them any time I want without giving Zen another cent. That's fine by me. Honestly I don't think the new menus are any sort of improvement either.
And screw those mictrotrasactions. It's gross and unseemly. I really hate it and am sure others will as well.
Old 02-17-23, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I downloaded it last night and played the free (old) Western table. I didn't think it looked any better and it actually played worse. There was some severe lag in the flippers so no way am I buying any tables until that is fixed.

And why are so many complaining about the Pinball Pass? It seemed you could buy the tables you want (granted by mostly bundles which sucks if you want Indvidual tables) but you can at least buy them instead of the bullshit Pinball Pass.

I had no problem rebuying old tables if they were truly had a substantial upgrade. No discount or transfers of the old tables is total horseshit though if that Western table is any indication of the "upgrades" made. I really doubt I will re-buy the old tables unless they go on a fire sale.
Old 02-17-23, 10:43 AM

Yeah I have no interest in giving them $100 so I can play (most of) their tables for a year. I'm playing tables today that I bought ten years ago for $5. That suits me just fine. The Pinball Pass is bullshit.
And I didn't know about the cosmetics. No wonder that menu is so ugly and bare bones. They want you to buy cosmetics via microtransactions? Even grosser than I thought.
Old 03-02-23, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

For the newly released Pinball FX, are the trials of 2 minutes per table introductory or is it like that all the time, i.e. with FX3? Because 2 minutes at a time is all the attention span I have anyway

Last edited by GatorDeb; 03-02-23 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-30-23, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
I will buy some of the new tables today, but fuck the Pinball pass and am pissed that there isn't the promised discount for the older tables.
I will buy them once they go on sale. Until then I'm fine playing them on the Pinball FX3 PS4 version.
Legacy tables are now on sale for the PS5 at 33% off. That said, I still haven’t bought any as I don’t really see a need. If they’re better on Pinball FX than FX3, I don’t really appreciate the difference enough to rebuy these packs at $16 a pop.
Old 04-05-23, 11:52 AM

MonsterVerse coming to Pinball FX!

Also a Nintendo Switch game-themed table.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (04-05-23)
Old 04-05-23, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I played the other day and it appears they fixed the lag. It still seems just barely sluggish compared to the prior iteration.

I plan to pick up some tables once they have some sales on Xbox. Until then, I have enough to keep me busy.

Like Decker said, I just don't see the "upgrade" worth it on the old tables. Actually, they all look a lot darker and not as defined. Is that just me?
Old 04-05-23, 06:22 PM

I think they are actually a little more detailed in FX. Just a little sharper.
I can't really comment on the "improved physics".
As far as sales for the XSX, I don't know why they didn't have a sale the same time as the PS5 did (and still does).
You can bank on a sale of at least the legacy Star Wars packs that first week of May. That happens every year
Old 04-09-23, 09:50 AM

Ranking Pinball FX Tables and Packs By Value

This article I found really interesting and useful in ranking the currently available table packs on Pinball FX as far as value goes.
Of course the current legacy sale on Playstation Store (which ends 7/12) bumps up the value of those legacy packs (Williams 1 & 2, Star Wars 1 & 2, Marvel, Zen Originals, Universal, Jurassic Park, Universal Monster - all 33% off) even more.

Spiderbite (04-10-23)
Old 04-14-23, 05:49 PM

Ton of content dropped today. Two free tables for everyone : the zen Original (and previous freebie in FX3) Sorcerer’s Lair and the fun classic Williams table Fish Tales.

Also as I mentioned before, the Kong vs Godzilla 3 table pack ($14.99), the original Crypt of the Necrodancer table ($5.49), the Williams classic The Twilight Zone (previously on Pinball Arcade).
Also released today and previously unannounced was a second pack of remastered Marvel tables (Infinity Gauntlet, Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool, Avengers, Ant-Man, Women of Power, Fear Itself, World War Hulk, Venom, A-Force, Civil War) which runs $29.99. I will be waiting for another Legacy sale for that bundle.
Spiderbite (04-14-23)
Old 04-15-23, 01:18 AM

Okay I just wanted to give everyone a heads-up : The Crypt of the NecroDancer table is Awesome. It doesn’t look like that much when you see it; it actually looks pretty simple. But there’s so much depth in the table. Five different modes to start with, all with their own table goals and music and Boss Fights. Rhythm bonuses, multipliers, Ball Outs don’t always end the game, they just drop your multiplier. There’s a ton to learn, but it is a really cool and very different sort of table. Well, well worth the $5.49 asking price.

Also I have to say I’ve done a total 180 on the collectables. I thought it was a micro transaction ploy, but you can unlock all sorts of table-themed collectables for every single table in the game. You unlock them by a cumulative score, so you don’t have to be very good at a table, just keep playing it and you will unlock everything eventually. These collectables are like little figures and posters that you can decorate your virtual room with, to customize it to your liking. In addition, there are bonus collectables to get from playing events, which are seasonal. It’s all very cool. One da I will display that DeLorean on my virtual shelf!
Old 04-16-23, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

This dropped on Steam a couple of days ago. I'm pleasantly surprised at the number of new tables at launch, though I guess it's not technically a launch since the game has been on the Epic store for a year. Haven't jumped in on it yet but I'm thinking about it.

There appears to be a 50% discount for most of the legacy table packs if you own them on FX3, so that lessens the sting a bit. I'm also one that doesn't mind repurchasing the tables, but only if there is a noticeable enough difference.
Old 04-16-23, 09:45 AM

Like I said there are three free tables now (Wild West, Sorcerer's Lair, Fish Tales), so try them out and see.
Old 04-16-23, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Once your purchases xfer across platforms and across versions, I'll start plucking down money. They can offer new updated tabes, but the old ones should be transferrable.

Also steam will give you a free day of all tables to try them out.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 04-16-23 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-16-23, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

OMG, don't make Decker say "Like I said" again...
Old 05-10-23, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I despise vinyl but I had to order one of these because I sincerely doubt it would see a CD release anytime soon. Supposedly only 500 being printed.

PRE-ORDER COMBO: Jackpot Plays PINBALL, Vols. 1 & 2 (Jackpot Exclusive (jackpotrecords.com)

You can also buy them separately as well if for some reason you only want one of the volumes.

This item is a pre-order, it will ship on or before June 23rd, 2023.

• Free US Shipping
• Jackpot Plays PINBALL, Vols. 1 & 2 - Jackpot Exclusive Color Vinyl
• Tables include: Black Knight 2000, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Attack From Mars, Taxi, Pinbot, Funhouse, Medieval Madness, Theatre of Magic, Banzai Run, Fish Tales
• First time ever released

The 80s and 90s was an innovative and exciting time for pinball as the music and playfields evolved to incorporate the electronic innovations rising from the reign of the video game and computer industry. A time when music moved from the background to the forefront of game play becoming an integral element of the feel and kinetic nature of pinball where no two games will ever be exact.

These collections of original electronic music from classic BallyTM/WilliamsTM pinball tables feature songs from many of the most popular games of this era. The pinball industry exploded during the pandemic with new companies and games entering the market and making Pinball the new hot throwback resurgence with barcades, tournaments and arcade museums opening across the globe.
Old 06-29-23, 12:25 PM

Pinball FX comes to Switch 7/6. Will be nice if purchases on one system eventually cross to another platform. I doubt it will ever happen, but it would be nice if they did.

Also two new tables dropped recently. One is a very cool Ninja-inspired table, then second is another pirate-inspired table, but this one based on the writings of Jules Verne.

Old 06-29-23, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I just started playing Star Wars pinball on my Quest 2 that I got a while back on sale and it is pretty damn cool in VR.
Old 06-29-23, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I just started playing Star Wars pinball on my Quest 2 that I got a while back on sale and it is pretty damn cool in VR.
Yes it's very cool. I hope they bring Pinball FX to PSVR2 -- it seems do-able. Not holding my breath though.
Old 08-16-23, 12:51 PM

Very exciting news! Skip to the 2:50 mark :

Williams Pinball Star Trek : The New Generation table!!! For $9.99, coming 8/24. That is a day 1 purchase for me.
Glad they're not only buying properties previously licensed by The Pinball Arcade, they're bringing new popular, licensed tables to video games (without even starting a Kickstarter to get it made!).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.