Print Wikipost

The Video Game Deals Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
Re: The Video Game Deals Thread

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Do we know if digital cards work towards the $40 requirement?
No. Games only.
Old 10-26-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Bummer. Thanks Decker.
Old 10-26-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
He doesn't read most posts. He just skims.
Motherfucker.
Old 10-26-14, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A remastered version of GTA: San Andreas was released today on the 360 marketplace. Announced price was $14.99 but it's currently $3.74 for an unknown amount of time. Go get!
Old 10-26-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

smh. it's like 7 posts above yours!
Old 10-26-14, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Where is it written that the GCU deal extends through next week? Didn't see it in the weekly ad on the BB website.
Old 10-26-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk God

it's not written anywhere yet. my guess is that it is listed in the next week's ad, which some people get a chance to see early

edit: looks like zekeburger posted the BB ad in the Blu Ray bargains forum. it's at the very bottom, but appears to be cut off a little: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bar...-8-2014-a.html
Old 10-26-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice. Thanks for finding that. Slight chance I might not be able to hit up a BB this week, so if it's still on next week, that'd be great.
Old 10-28-14, 10:19 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

So I stopped by BB tonight and picked up Hyrule Warriors and walked to the front.

"I'd like to buy this game and add the GCU for $30."

"You can't. The GCU is $120."

"But your ad says that the GCU is $30 with any game $39.99 and over."

(She get's a manager) "Sir, the GCU is $120... unless you already belong to the Best Buy Gamers Club. Are you a member?"

"Can you look it up for me?"

"Sure... (enters in my info) ... okay, so you are a member of our rewards system, so you qualify."

"Thanks."

"That will be $81.XX."

"Is that right? I got a $60 game and the $30 membership."

"Yes, it's right. The GCU get's you 20% off this game from the start. Your game was $48."

"I can't argue with that ... [swipes card] ... Thanks!"

Is that how it was supposed to happen?
Old 10-28-14, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74

Is that how it was supposed to happen?
As far as the discount applying to the game you're currently purchasing? Yes, that's how it is supposed to work.

For me, the transaction was more like --

Me : I'm here to pick up my Sunset Overdrive pre-order. I'd like to also add two years to my GCU for another $30

Cashier : You can't add more years; you're already a member.

Me : Yes you can. I've been reading online posts. People have been doing it.

Cashier : I'm sorry, I can't do that.

Me : Can I speak to a Manager, please?

Manager : I'm sorry, it won't work. We've tried and the system won't let us

Me : Could you just try to ring it up please?

Register : Sunset Overdrive + hat + beer cozy + DLC + Gamer Club = $78.78 + $3.96 tax. Total savings = 129.16

Manager : Wow. That didn't work before. Thanks for showing me that!

Me : *sighs
Old 10-28-14, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk God

I had no issues this morning. The woman who rang me up is the one who is always there on release days. Took like an minute after they found the actual cards to scan.
Old 10-29-14, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
As far as the discount applying to the game you're currently purchasing? Yes, that's how it is supposed to work.

For me, the transaction was more like --

Me : I'm here to pick up my Sunset Overdrive pre-order. I'd like to also add two years to my GCU for another $30

Cashier : You can't add more years; you're already a member.

Me : Yes you can. I've been reading online posts. People have been doing it.

Cashier : I'm sorry, I can't do that.

Me : Can I speak to a Manager, please?

Manager : I'm sorry, it won't work. We've tried and the system won't let us

Me : Could you just try to ring it up please?

Register : Sunset Overdrive + hat + beer cozy + DLC + Gamer Club = $78.78 + $3.96 tax. Total savings = 129.16

Manager : Wow. That didn't work before. Thanks for showing me that!

Me : *sighs
Did you pre-order in store with 5 down? Or did you order online for in-store pickup?
Old 10-29-14, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Almost every major stock website and business site has them going out of business within the next two years.
While I'm not trying to be a Best Buy apologist because they certainly have their issues, I've never seen any "major stock website and business site" go on record predicting their demise. And I work for a company in the financial data industry, supplying news and content to many of these websites you might be talking about. Your statement is dubious at best.

If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me with some links to facts. I'll gladly apologize and back of if that's the case..

BBY has a current market cap of almost 11.5 B. They've got plenty of cash to last far longer than two years.

Am I saying BBY is going to be around forever? Hardly. Retail is a fickle beast. But will Best Buy close up shop by the end of 2016? Not a chance.

And, to keep to the spirit of the thread, I went to Best Buy to pick up Sunset Overdrive and to extend my UGC membership with the $30 deal. I was told it didn't stack and I was out of luck. So it goes.
Old 10-29-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shaane
While I'm not trying to be a Best Buy apologist because they certainly have their issues, I've never seen any "major stock website and business site" go on record predicting their demise. And I work for a company in the financial data industry, supplying news and content to many of these websites you might be talking about. Your statement is dubious at best.

If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me with some links to facts. I'll gladly apologize and back of if that's the case..

BBY has a current market cap of almost 11.5 B. They've got plenty of cash to last far longer than two years.

Am I saying BBY is going to be around forever? Hardly. Retail is a fickle beast. But will Best Buy close up shop by the end of 2016? Not a chance.

And, to keep to the spirit of the thread, I went to Best Buy to pick up Sunset Overdrive and to extend my UGC membership with the $30 deal. I was told it didn't stack and I was out of luck. So it goes.
I would go back or go to a different store. It does stack and has been confirmed to stack on CAG and on Best Buy's official forum by an employee of Best Buy.

I hope to get there tonight or tomorrow to get Last of Us Remastered and my extra 2 years.
Old 10-29-14, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by tlwizard
Did you pre-order in store with 5 down? Or did you order online for in-store pickup?
In store with $5 down. Wouldn't work otherwise.
Old 10-29-14, 10:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you need to be a gamers club member tom get the deal?
Old 10-29-14, 10:47 AM

I think so. But it's free and easy. According to the Website, you sign up in-store.

Remember folks, if you buy three full-priced games in the next two years, the GCU membership will have more than paid for itself with the current promotion going on.
Old 10-29-14, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would the manager give Goldberg a hard time then if the gamers club is free. I'm going in next week, maybe get the cod game to flip, and if they pull thaT crap I'm walking .
Old 10-29-14, 10:56 AM

They just don't know how to operate their own system. I hate that I know what works better than the store employees do. Fortunately, the system is pretty automatic. If you are a My Best Buy (formerly Reward Zone) Member, it should all be automatic. Just have them scan that GCU Membership UPC they have at their register when you buy a game p[riced $39.99 or higher and everything should work itself out.

BTW : Checking my previous post, it now occurs to me that they're no longer charging tax on the GCU membership. They did before when I initially joined.
Old 10-29-14, 11:03 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Remember folks, if you buy three full-priced games in the next two years, the GCU membership will have more than paid for itself with the current promotion going on.
I've bought at least 3000 games in my life. Not a single one has been full price.

But I'm still considering getting this deal.
Old 10-29-14, 11:20 AM

Is COD Advanced Warfare available for pre-order in store for $5? Would you get $10 reward cert if you go this route, and do the actual purchase in store so you can also get the GCU and get the discounted price for the game as well? If so, then this may be best way to grab a GCU for myself. Thanks.
Old 10-29-14, 11:20 AM

Okay Trevor, if you buy a new game with their $10 pre-order promotion (games like Call of Duty AW, Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed Unity, Halo Master Chief Collection, GTA V next gen, Batman Arkham Knight), you will pay essentially $38 each (plus tax on $48). Three of those purchases in the next two year put you in the black. It also takes 20% off any sale game as well. Unless you never buy games, you won't lose out. Hell it's cheaper to just buy those new games, play them for a week, keep the pre-order DLC and sell them back to Best Buy a few weeks later than it is just to rent the games.
Old 10-29-14, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by DVDGamer
Is COD Advanced Warfare available for pre-order in store for $5?
Yes.
Would you get $10 reward cert if you go this route, and do the actual purchase in store so you can also get the GCU and get the discounted price for the game as well?
Yes, that works.
If so, then this may be best way to grab a GCU for myself.
You should.
Thanks.
You're welcome.

BTW : If you have a copy of CoD Ghosts, there's another promotion where you get not only $20/$10 credit for trading in a next gen/previous gen version, but also an automaic coupon for $10 off Advance Warfare at purchase. With a next gen copy and GCU, it would cost $6 (plus tax on $38 puchase) to upgrade to Advanced Warfare.
Old 10-29-14, 11:32 AM

Cool! I actually have a COD Ghosts for Xbox One. But I haven't even opened it yet Although I've been considering if I should trade this in as well. Since it seems COD Ghosts can be had for $20 every now and then. My other option is to get the COD Ghosts Prestige Edition for $54.99 if I do trade this game. Thanks again.
Old 10-29-14, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW : If you have a copy of CoD Ghosts, there's another promotion where you get not only $20/$10 credit for trading in a next gen/previous gen version, but also an automaic coupon for $10 off Advance Warfare at purchase. With a next gen copy and GCU, it would cost $6 (plus tax on $38 puchase) to upgrade to Advanced Warfare.
When you do this, does the $20 have to go toward Advanced Warfare, or can you just put $5 down after the fact?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.