Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

iPhone/iPod Touch App Talk

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-10, 11:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: iPhone/iPod Touch App Talk

Originally Posted by orangecrush
I thought it was well worth $2. I have already sunk 5 hours into it.
True maybe, but I've learned that almost every app I've ever bought has eventually gone free, or to 99 cents. I pretty much have a rule to wait for one of those two price points now.
Originally Posted by Decker
Good sale on a well received game : Space Miner : Space Ore Bust is on sale for 99 cents for a "limited time". It's normally a $4.99 game. Apparently it's an Asteroids-based RPG and is supposed to be pretty fun. It's gotten some good reviews. IGN gave it an 8.0. There's a lite version if you want to check that out. For a buck, I just went ahead and picked it up. I'll post impressions later.
Thanks! I'd check it out too, but it's over 20mb so I'll have to wait until I get home. Cannon Defense is another I wanted to check out today but it's too large for 3G.
Old 05-01-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
There's a thread on CAG dedicated to iPad sales/recommendations that might help you out more.

Does anyone here own one?
I have the 32gb iPad. I have put some of my itouch apps on my iPad. I haven't picked up any iPad specific games yet.
Old 05-01-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah iPad recommendations would be great... Ive been back and forth with buying the MLB At Bat for a while and havent pulled the trigger yet.
Old 05-01-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Yeah iPad recommendations would be great... Ive been back and forth with buying the MLB At Bat for a while and havent pulled the trigger yet.
Count me in as another that would love iPad recommendations. I just got an iPad today so I'm interested in getting some good games for it (and since iPad games tend to be at a higher price point, I'd be less likely to take a chance on games I know nothing about).

Last edited by Cory02; 05-01-10 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-01-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

TD and RTS games are good in the iPad. I've read good recommendations about The Creeps, Plants vs Zombies, etc. the iPad versions of those games of course.
I've also tried Flight Control HD and it plays really well.

From the games I have in my iPhone I would like to see iPad versions of: Madden, Bejeweled 2 and Peggle.
Old 05-01-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's the iPad thread http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=257317
Old 05-01-10, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you like "seek and find" games I recommend Mystery of the Crystal Portal HD for the iPad.
Old 05-02-10, 08:16 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sword and Poker 2 is out.
Old 05-02-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm a big fan of the following, but I am easily amused:

- Bird Strike (in the vein of Doodle Jump, but more entertaining in every respect)
- COCOnoid (found this one while looking for an Arkanoid clone, two-fingered control scheme takes some getting used to)
- Dizzypad (billed as a cross between Doodle Jump and Koi Pond)
- Dotopop (very simple and relaxing chain reaction game)
Old 05-03-10, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Mok
And it's $1.99 (50% off) for a limited time. I didn't read anything or wait for review. Bought that mutha right away. Even if it's just more of the same, that's worth at least $2 in my book. If it's at all improved, all the better.
Old 05-03-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
From the games I have in my iPhone I would like to see iPad versions of: Madden, Bejeweled 2 and Peggle.
I just played my iTouch version of Peggle on my wife's new iPad 3G. Like most iPhone/iTouch games that are played on the iPad in 2X mode, it can get a wee bit pixelated however it is not that bad. You can play it in the orig resolution mode and it looks just as nice as on the iPhone/iTouch only smaller.
Old 05-03-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Mok
Old 05-03-10, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Trevor
True maybe, but I've learned that almost every app I've ever bought has eventually gone free, or to 99 cents. I pretty much have a rule to wait for one of those two price points now.
I think it depends on the publisher. There are some games that have been around for a few years and never droped below $3. IMO, it is worth buying a game that everyone recomends for $1 more than your normal price range rather than wait for a price drop that may never come.
Old 05-03-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Space Miner is basically asteroids with an RPG shell and various upgrades, but it is fun, though somewhat repetitive.

Buying Sword and Poker 2 now, the developer has earned a day one purchase from me.

I also highly recommend Tilt to Live, not sure if that was mentioned earlier in the thread.
Old 05-03-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Ive been back and forth with buying the MLB At Bat for a while and havent pulled the trigger yet.
Same here.
Old 05-03-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And it's $1.99 (50% off) for a limited time. I didn't read anything or wait for review. Bought that mutha right away. Even if it's just more of the same, that's worth at least $2 in my book. If it's at all improved, all the better.
I bought it immediately as well.

I am still going to beat the first one though - but the 50% off sale hooked me. Good developer, entertaining game.

Speaking of games never going on sale... I have been wanting a cheap or free Oregon Trail for probably a year now.
Old 05-03-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sword and Poker 2 sounds like it's pretty much the same as the first one. Since I only just picked that up then number 2 can wait.
Old 05-03-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just picked it up and it's great so far. It doesn't look too bad blown up to double size on the iPad either.
Old 05-06-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Sword & Poker is great thanks for the tip!!
Old 05-06-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, lot of buzz here and at CAG for Sword & Poker. Tried the Lite and ended up buying #2 last night. Pretty unique.
Old 05-06-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought Sword & Poker 1 last week. Didn't know there was a sequel coming. I'll probably just pick it up anyway. Did much change in #2?

Also, Crush the Castle was free yesterday, may still be today, don't know. That game is simple in concept but pretty fun! Basically, you use a trebuchet to knock down walls and structures that these little kings, queens and soldiers are hiding in. They make an "arrgghh" sound when you crush them. You gain access to different ammo as you progress (small/medium boulders, boulder tri-shot, etc).
Old 05-06-10, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Gooter
Also, Crush the Castle was free yesterday, may still be today, don't know. That game is simple in concept but pretty fun! Basically, you use a trebuchet to knock down walls and structures that these little kings, queens and soldiers are hiding in. They make an "arrgghh" sound when you crush them. You gain access to different ammo as you progress (small/medium boulders, boulder tri-shot, etc).
99 cents again. I played either it or the lite version awhile ago and agree that it is tons of fun.
Old 05-07-10, 08:47 AM

Sentinel 2 free today, great tower defense-type game.
Old 05-07-10, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Origin8, who makes Sentinel 2, also made Space Station Frontier HD for the iPad. I just reviewed the latter today, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it.
Old 05-07-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

http://blog.gameloft.com/index.php/2...h-anniversary/

Gameloft turns 10 years old this month, and because this is such a special event we’ve decided to launch our “iPhone Happy Hour” to celebrate with all our fans out there. What this means is that for 2 hours every day from May 10th to May 21st (except weekends), one of our iPhone/iPod touch games will be available for free! Yes, you’re reading it correctly, FREE! It’s our birthday but we’re the ones offering you presents – 10 great iPhone games!

We won’t reveal the 10 games or what times we’ll offer them in advance so follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/gameloft to find out. Don’t miss the daily tweet because the time of the Happy Hour will change every day and you’ll have only 2 hours to get your game!

Enjoy our iPhone Happy Hour!

Q&A:

1. How can I participate? What do I have to do?

This is not a contest! There are no questions to answer or no lottery to enter. Everybody can grab a game for free once he/she sees the Happy Hour tweet and time hasn’t run out yet.

2. How do I download the game?

The same way you would usually download it: on the App Store! You won’t even have to search for it, a direct link to the App Store, accessible from both your computer, your iPhone or your iPod touch, will be inserted in the tweet.

3. Is there a limit of free games you’ll deliver?

No, once a game is free, there will be no limit of people who can download it in the 2-hour window. Just be quick!

4. Are the Happy Hour also for iPad?

No, sorry, only iPhone and iPod touch.

5. I live in country XXX, can I benefit from the Happy Hour?

All countries where the App Store game section is available are eligible. You obviously need an iTunes account to download a game, even if it’s free. One of the reasons we’ll change the time of the Happy Hour every day is for everybody in the world to have a chance to take advantage of it!

6. Is Twitter the only way to know? Is there anywhere else I can know about the free game of the day and when the Happy Hour start?

We’ll only communicate the availability of each free game on Twitter. This is because it allows for instant communication with our fans and the Happy Hour only last 2 hours. You may find the news elsewhere on the web about it but we can’t guarantee the Happy Hour will still be running when you see it.

7. I don’t have a Twitter account, what should I do?

We suggest you create one, it takes only a few seconds from http://twitter.com/ ! Once you’re done and connected, go to http://twitter.com/gameloft and click on “Follow”. You’ll then receive all our Tweets on the “home” page of your Twitter account. You can also download one of the numerous Twitter clients from the App Store. Plenty of them are free and they allow you to receive tweets directly on your iPhone or iPod touch.
They are responsible for some nice games, including UNO, Assassin's Creed, The Oregon Trail, Let's Golf!, Heroes of Sparta...the list goes on. Here's hoping the two hour periods are at reasonable times.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.