Old 10-19-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Old 10-19-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Finished the game last night, thought it was a blast. I don't think it was too short, sometimes games should only take 10 hours to complete.

Spoiler:
I didn't mind the sci-fi aspect at the end with the super creatures, thought it was a good change of pace. The big boss battle did turn into just running around in a circle shooting blue marks, for that the game will get marked down slightly.

Overall, bring on Uncharted 3. see you guys in the multiplayer.
Old 10-19-09, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed most of Uncharted, and have been looking forward to checking out the followup as everything I've seen has looked pretty awesome. So I was a bit knocked back when I got to check it out yesterday and find out that I was a bit mistaken. It doesn't look awesome at all.

It looks fucking fantastic! Holy shit. What a complete package all around. I don't get a lot of play on my PS3, but it's times like these that I'm glad I have it around. Not sure how many chapters there are, but I got up to 6 or 7 last night and I'm hoping to get through it in the next few days, but it's been an absolute blast and completely stunning up to this point.
Old 10-19-09, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by John Slider
My favorite game is Metal Gear Solid IV, more specifically Metal Gear Online. Would you guys say the story mode and online multi-player modes of Uncharted 2 are similar? I'm considering purchasing this game.
The creators of Metal Gear could take many lessons from Uncharted -- the cut scenes are actually a pleasure to experience in Uncharted; toward the end of MGS4, I was just skipping them, because I didn't care. MGS4 aspired to be an "interactive movie," but, IMO, failed miserably. Both Uncharted games have pretty much succeeded at feeling like you're in control of the hero in a summer blockbuster.

I think the actual game play in both is great, but they are very different experiences.

Never tried the multi-player in either, so I'll let someone else compare those.
Old 10-19-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ I have enjoyed the MGS series so I am not going to say anything more than ....

cut scenes/story/dialog is much more enjoyable in the Uncharted series because the story is easy to follow instead of having to pull out a dictionary/MGS faqs every sentence to translate Kojima speak
Old 10-19-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

don't know if anyone noticed this but it's the small things the Naughty Dog doesn't have to do but they do anyway that make them such a great developer

Spoiler:
during "The Road To Shambala" when you have to go with Flynn
if you attempt to punch him he will elude your punch and hit you
if you attempt to follow that up with a punch right after he again eludes your punch, hits you, and then shoots you dead

almost any other game would just have a static character that wouldn't react to your attempt to hit them
Old 10-20-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the "Situational Awareness" booster in this game is complete crap
especially (obviously) when you are a lower rank player going up against higher rank players

I've had some ok games in MP but was having a better time during the demo period when things seemed more evenly balanced
Old 10-20-09, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just started this last night and am on chapter 6 or so...

It was a bit of a transition from Arkham Asylum, because Batman moved much more fluidly...or maybe it just felt that way because I was trying to move Nate with Batman controls for the first hour or so. Anyway, I just felt kind of gimped without my gear.

Like SuperFro said, the game is "holy-crap!" gorgeous. It wouldn't take much to turn this into a very decent animated feature film, and I know that's been said about other games, but this time, it's true. I'm digging the story, the characters and the acting in a huge way as well. I've always said that the first Uncharted is the only time I've ever felt like I was playing a character in a feature film, and Uncharted 2 feels even more so.

I wrapped up my game last night with the scene from the E3 demo with the helicopter evasion and fighting in a falling building, and even having seen it before, that was [hyperole]bar-none the most amazing five minutes of gaming I've ever played.[/hyperbole] Everything about it was pitch perfect. The boss chasing you through a level is a convention that I've always liked, and the boss fight was fun. It fit nicely into the flow of the story and didn't feel like "OK...now here's an impressive setpiece". It just happened, and even as I was playing it, I couldn't help but think: "I'm fighting inside a collapsing building and all the graphics and physics look completely natural! I can't believe they pulled this off!".

Beautiful.

It's also remarkable how intuitive it is to navigate really complex environments. They did a great job of giving hints without beating you over the head with "GO HERE!!!"...if that makes sense.

I started the game looking for treasures, and found a few, but I realized that it was hindering the pace of the story, so I think I'm committed to just looking for treasures in my second play-through.
Old 10-20-09, 10:03 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Spoiler:
Did anyone play Marco Polo

Last edited by Mok; 10-20-09 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-20-09, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just wrapped it up. I'm gonna play through it again, the thing was so gorgeous I'm sure there was tons that I missed.
Old 10-20-09, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Marco...Polo...

You're so unprofessional.
Old 10-20-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chess
Marco...Polo...

You're so unprofessional.
I love that that part just rewards my proclivity as a game player to do shit like that. When I saw that pool there was no question in my mind what needed to be done, I was jumping in it. The fact that they built stuff around that (dialogue, bonus, etc.) is awesome.

Tore through some more of the game last night. I fell short of reaching the end, but getting close.
Old 10-20-09, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I had a great time with this game. Love the dialogue throughout the game, and especially

Spoiler:
the ending dialogue between Drake and Elena. Also the "Above you!" "Below you!" For a second I actually was like "The hell? And was prepared to shoot someone below me, and then was like 'ohhh'"

I went to Multiplayer after finishing the main game, and was pleasantly surprised to see co-op scenarios which take place in the 'in game' environments, but aren't tied to the story itself. Now that's going the extra mile, and I would love to see more scenarios to help with the wait for Uncharted 3.

Last edited by bluetoast; 10-20-09 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-21-09, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Not too many games compel me to want to play every day, but Uncharted 2 does the trick. Great fun playing the single player game. I'm near the end so that will be a bummer.

My only complaints have to do with multiplayer. One, is the occasional long wait for finding a match (I've always preferred the browser style of being able to choose the game I want to play based on maps, # of players, weapons etc...). I was trying to find a co-op match last night and gave up after sitting there for about 5 minutes.

The other is that you have to go through matchmaking after every match is done. Unless you group together you have to start over with an entirely new group. This is where the the 360/Live have it all over the PS3. Very few people use headsets (which every 360 owner has at least one of) making it impossible to communicate and group together if you do happen to find people you like playing with.

Otherwise, it is a lot of fun when you can get into a match/gametype that you like.
Old 10-21-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah that really makes me think now, Sony should have found a way to include a headset with all the new $299 PS3s.
Old 10-21-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Argh. I got my ass handed to me like 10 times last night on the final boss (only playing on Normal, which is a higher difficulty than I usually go for).
Spoiler:
I kept getting him to the point where he was throwing multiple grenades at me and then he'd inevitably kill me almost immediately. Weak. I'll give it another shot tonight. Is running and gunning the way to go, because I really suck at that.
Old 10-21-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sony blue tooth headsets are ok but you get a lot of background noise. A wired headset works much better but it's a hassle and you may need a really long cord. I don't have very many friends on my PSN account so I usually just play without the headset anyways and then mute the asshats.
Old 10-21-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FatTony
Argh. I got my ass handed to me like 10 times last night on the final boss (only playing on Normal, which is a higher difficulty than I usually go for).
Spoiler:
I kept getting him to the point where he was throwing multiple grenades at me and then he'd inevitably kill me almost immediately. Weak. I'll give it another shot tonight. Is running and gunning the way to go, because I really suck at that.
Spoiler:
I don't think I took a single shot at him, I just kept running around and shooting the blue stuff when he was close. Just keep moving and don't put yourself at risk.
Old 10-21-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Forgot to mention, loved the use of camera angles in this game to build up suspense, as well as to showcase scenery.
Old 10-22-09, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Damn, I just don't want this game to end. Playing it only for an hour at a time to stretch it out. The chapter where you are jumping from truck to truck is fucking awesome! I was Indiana Jones!
Old 10-22-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished the train level last night. It was a lot more trial and error than I normally like, but I think it will be a blast to run through on replays.

And it was ridiculously impressive from a technical perspective!!! I'm fighting dudes on a train moving through a fully convincing environment (likely fully rendered) that adapted as you reached checkpoints to hit perfect platforming notes.

I also did a couple of cool temple puzzles...very Tomb Raider...and a water puzzle that I thought was especially cool.

I didn't have as many complaints as some about the combat in the first Uncharted, but I do think I'm enjoying the combat in this one more. Those dudes with the body armor are motherfuckers. I find it almost easier to just take them on melee style.
Old 10-23-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
Spoiler:
I don't think I took a single shot at him, I just kept running around and shooting the blue stuff when he was close. Just keep moving and don't put yourself at risk.
This is exactly what I ended up doing.
Old 10-23-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Damn, I just don't want this game to end. Playing it only for an hour at a time to stretch it out. The chapter where you are jumping from truck to truck is fucking awesome! I was Indiana Jones!
I just played this part last night and was absolutely blown away at how well it was executed.

Every time I think this game has thrown the most amazing thing I'll ever see in a game at me, it tops that moment a few hours later. The helicopter rooftop chase...amazing...the moving train...more amazing...the tank fight...frustrating, but damn cool...the truck to truck fight...HOLY CRAP was that cool!!!!

This game is an absolute clinic in game design and story-telling, and I can't imagine anything topping it for game of the year.
Old 10-23-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Yeah, that's what I was doing. I just wasn't keeping my distance and didn't move quickly enough when he started throwing grenades. Finally beat him the other night though.

Having beaten it, this isn't just the best game of the year, it's one of the best I can ever remember playing. Simply incredible. I've started going through it again to try and find all the treasures I missed and I'm finding that I'm basically just playing the game again. Also, is it just me, or are the treasures much harder to find in this game? I feel like with the first game, I managed to find all but about 10 of the treasures on my first run, but with this one I finished with less than half of them.
Old 10-24-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mok
Spoiler:
Did anyone play Marco Polo
What is even funnier than that, & again goes to the show the truly "little things" that make this epic game so fun.

When you wake up in that Tibetan-like village. You can pet the bulls that are in there, but if you go behind a bull to pet it from the rear, you get a different reaction.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.