Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition

Old 11-07-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Or better yet, as others have mentioned, just download them when you're done with your PS3. If you queue them up and choose to shut down when done, it will automatically install any demos or games after they are downloaded. I never download anything anymore when I'm still playing a game or watching a movie. It's so much better to just let the PS3 do its thing and have my demos ready next time I turn it on. There's really no reason to complain about the download speeds since you don't have to babysit the PS3 anymore.
Old 11-08-08, 11:20 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Got errors last night and now this morning trying to download a mandatory system update on the PS3. Hopefully it's a temporary problem for me, but it does bother me that I can't enter the PS store and pick up some new Rock Band songs or some demos until I complete the update.
Old 11-08-08, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its always much easier for me just to download from website onto usb and install from there
Old 11-09-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by collven
Or better yet, as others have mentioned, just download them when you're done with your PS3. If you queue them up and choose to shut down when done, it will automatically install any demos or games after they are downloaded. I never download anything anymore when I'm still playing a game or watching a movie. It's so much better to just let the PS3 do its thing and have my demos ready next time I turn it on. There's really no reason to complain about the download speeds since you don't have to babysit the PS3 anymore.

Wait, theres a way to automatically install the demo as soon as its done downloading? How?

Yea by other stuff I meant to have a life. Go out, have dinner, take a shower, etc.
Old 11-09-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Wait, theres a way to automatically install the demo as soon as its done downloading? How?

Yea by other stuff I meant to have a life. Go out, have dinner, take a shower, etc.
The auto-install comes if you set your PS3 to turn off after completing your downloads.
Old 11-10-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I set my PS3 for auto-shut off after I downloaded the MGS4 demo, I stikll had to install it when I powered on later.
Old 11-10-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I queued up Mirrors Edge, Lego Batman and Motorstorm Pacific, the other night and set it to shut off. It downloaded AND installed all three before shutting down.
Old 11-10-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Amazon has a couple of their greatest hits on sale for $19.99 + free shipping: Resistance: Fall Of Man, MotorStorm, Fight Night Round 3, Warhawk (No Headset), Need For Speed Carbon, and Call of Duty 3. They also have the Dualshock3 for the cheapest I've ever seen - $40.96
Old 11-10-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Also check your gold box. I had the Dualshock 3 show up a couple of times for $38.96.
Old 11-10-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Amazon has a couple of their greatest hits on sale for $19.99 + free shipping: Resistance: Fall Of Man, MotorStorm, Fight Night Round 3, Warhawk (No Headset), Need For Speed Carbon, and Call of Duty 3. They also have the Dualshock3 for the cheapest I've ever seen - $40.96
I have a gut feeling you will see these game for 2 for $30 come Black Friday. No proof...just a feeling.
Old 11-10-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I have a gut feeling you will see these game for 2 for $30 come Black Friday. No proof...just a feeling.
They already were in the NW at Fred Meyer a few weeks back.
Old 11-10-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
So my 40gb PS3 is a doorstop and out of warranty... long story short I'll most likely just grab a new one. My question is - is there any way to get any $$ for what I've got? (Disc drive is broken)
Old 11-10-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Hey, how do I disable trophy notifications?

I'm playing a game, totally into it, and suddenly that shit comes up on my screen, distracting me and taking me right the fuck out of the game. I got rid of the achievement notifications on my 360, so how do I get rid of it for the PS3?
Old 11-11-08, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can send it in to Sony and they will fix it for $150.
Old 11-11-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Hey, how do I disable trophy notifications?

I'm playing a game, totally into it, and suddenly that shit comes up on my screen, distracting me and taking me right the fuck out of the game. I got rid of the achievement notifications on my 360, so how do I get rid of it for the PS3?
I don't think you can. I was wanting a way to block and/or delete trophies in case I was playing on a different system and wanted to not get them, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.
Old 11-11-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard
PSU is the Playstation Underground. http://www.us.playstation.com/

There you can register your playstation hardware and software. Sign up for announcements. Go to their forums. Check the playstation blog. A few weeks back they had a signup for the Resistance 2 beta and are now sending out the codes. They also had codes for the LittleBigPlanet beta and other stuff.
OK, so I tried to register for the Playstation Underground, but when I enter my email address, it says I'm already registered. I'll buy that, maybe I did it years ago with my PS2 and don't remember. So I try to simply sign in using my email address and password. It tells me it's an invalid username and password combination. So then it says instructions have been sent to my email on how to recover a lost password. Only problem is nothing ever gets sent to my email. I've tried this about 20 times over the last couple days. Same result. Tells me I'm already registered and that it's an invalid user/password combo and an email has been sent with recovery instructions. (and I made sure to undo any spam filters, so if they are actually sending me an email, I should be getting it).

So... does anyone know how to recover a lost Playstation Underground password?
Old 11-11-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you checked your spam folder?

Add the PSU email address to your contacts.
Old 11-11-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

nothing in the spam folder.

I'll try adding to the contacts.

Does anyone know what's actually in the email that they send? I'm guessing it would just be a link to some page.
Old 11-11-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 19K
OK, so I tried to register for the Playstation Underground, but when I enter my email address, it says I'm already registered. I'll buy that, maybe I did it years ago with my PS2 and don't remember. So I try to simply sign in using my email address and password. It tells me it's an invalid username and password combination. So then it says instructions have been sent to my email on how to recover a lost password. Only problem is nothing ever gets sent to my email. I've tried this about 20 times over the last couple days. Same result. Tells me I'm already registered and that it's an invalid user/password combo and an email has been sent with recovery instructions. (and I made sure to undo any spam filters, so if they are actually sending me an email, I should be getting it).

So... does anyone know how to recover a lost Playstation Underground password?
Same exact thing has happened to me. I have yet to be able to recover.

I have confirmed that it is not going to a Spam folder or getting rejected.

... I have the same problem with emails from DVD Aficionado.
Old 11-12-08, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Bad Mr. Mic. Did you know the mic doesn't play through the speakers. So people without mics will not be able to hear you. Other than that I actually like the mic but that is a pretty big negative on the thing.
Old 11-14-08, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Does the PS3 Warrany also cover the controller?

I was playing Burnout and while picking a car, using the DPad, it got stuck rapidly going to the right! i got pissed and turned off the controller. Didnt matter, than the game, than the whole system, none of it helped. Although it did go rapid at first it began to slow down by itself. So I pressed the right button real hard and it stopped, but I turned everything off just incase. Is it covered?
Old 11-14-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
I have this camera:
http://www.buy.com/prod/kodak-easysh...206879508.html

and it outputs video in MPEG-4 format. I put the SD in the PS3 and was able to view the photos just fine but it says no videos available.

I last updated the PS3 2 days ago.

Ideas? Shouldn't it play them?
Old 11-14-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

mpeg-4 is the format, but what's the codec? The PS3 only accepts some codecs.
Old 11-14-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
No idea, but it does say it's Quicktime MPEG-4
Old 11-16-08, 06:11 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm still not sure of what to think of the Trophy system. As an achievement whore, I love being rewarded for doing things in games, especially with the fact that I will earn things for my residence in "Home." However, I have one issue with the set-up. Why wouldn't Sony just put all of the unlocked trophies together, like Microsoft does with their achievements? I hate checking other peoples' trophy collections and having to scroll through the entire list, missing ones they have unlocked because they're hidden amongst locked ones. I know it's a small problem that they may fix, but it's annoying.

Also; I rented Mirror's Edge the other night. Definitely not as good as I expected it to be. I don't recommend buying it at all. It's somewhat fun, but it's also annoying at times because of how precise your jumps have to be to grab onto things. It's...mediocre.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.