Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bioshock 2: Out now(ish)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: Bioshock 2: Out now(ish)

Originally Posted by FatTony
Just beat it yesterday on the evil runthrough...
Spoiler:
It's kinda cool how your "moral choices" don't really change the overall arc of the story, but it definitely changes the tone. Watching Eleanor harvest little sisters and drown her own mother was pretty dark.

Also, regarding Level 3 plasmids...
Spoiler:
Winter Blast and Incinerate are totally worth it, Electro Bolt and Telekinesis aren't, IMO. Still on the fence on Decoy, but Security Command and Insect Swarm are fun.

Spent a little while on multiplayer and wasn't really impressed.
On Level 3 Electro Bolt...
Spoiler:
I wasn't that impressed with it until I figured out the electricity would keep flowing as long as I held down the LT and had eve. That makes it ridiculously powerful. It was like turning your left arm into a proton pack/particle stream. Depending on whether I was going after Big Daddies/Big Sisters or normal baddies, I'd switch to armor-piercing or anti-personnel rounds. Couple those with level 3 electro bolt and it felt like I could kill anything in about two seconds.
Old 02-22-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the only achievements I didn't get was for fully researching the enemies. I didn't like the camera mechanic used in B1 and in B2 its the same. Switch to camera, take picture, then switch back to weapon. Changing it to a video recorder was better than B1 but they should have made the camera a toggle on the d-pad.
Old 02-22-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Ugh....there's a bug or something with the dramatic music. The only thing I could do is just turn music volume way down. Anyone else have this?
Old 02-22-10, 09:49 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
One of the only achievements I didn't get was for fully researching the enemies. I didn't like the camera mechanic used in B1 and in B2 its the same. Switch to camera, take picture, then switch back to weapon. Changing it to a video recorder was better than B1 but they should have made the camera a toggle on the d-pad.
That. I had to memorize how many trigger-clicks from when I was at my weapon, to switch quickly to my camera, start recording, and then switch back to a decent gun. IIRC, I didn't find out to later, but if you ho,d a button down, the game freezes and you can select any weapon/plasmid you want. I barely finished researching all of them.
Old 02-22-10, 10:49 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

I just reset the camera every time and walked around with it ready to go.
Old 02-22-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Ugh....there's a bug or something with the dramatic music. The only thing I could do is just turn music volume way down. Anyone else have this?
I had this at one point during a particular battle near the end of a level. The fight ended but the music stayed and everything else was really diminished volume wise. Went to the next section and it seemed to have resolved itself.
Old 02-22-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had something similar happen when I loaded up my save once. The music was loud and dramatic when it really shouldn't have been, and a number of other sound effects just didn't load (the door opening sound was the most noticeable). The problem corrected itself when I hopped the train to the next area.

Last edited by FatTony; 02-22-10 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-22-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
That. I had to memorize how many trigger-clicks from when I was at my weapon, to switch quickly to my camera, start recording, and then switch back to a decent gun. IIRC, I didn't find out to later, but if you ho,d a button down, the game freezes and you can select any weapon/plasmid you want. I barely finished researching all of them.
When I started recording the game would switch to the last weapon I used. I think I may have had to hit the fire button, but I'm not sure.
Old 02-22-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by edstein
It should switch to your last-used weapon automatically when you start filming.
Old 02-22-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FatTony
It should switch to your last-used weapon automatically when you start filming.
I think you're right but you still have to switch to the camera using the weapon shoulder button. That rotary mechanic works but is a pain for the camera. That should have been given it's own button. I would always forget to use it. And I beat the game without fully researching anyways so it was no big loss (other than the achievement).
Old 02-22-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I'm done with this already. I HATE the parts where you have to protect the Little Sister while harvesting the Adam. Its too damn hard and having to start over if you die...
Old 02-22-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'm done with this already. I HATE the parts where you have to protect the Little Sister while harvesting the Adam. Its too damn hard and having to start over if you die...
Did you just started the game? I was stuck there too. I was really frustrated, it once took me like a couple of hours do just one harvesting. But believe me, with time it'll get really easier to do harvesting. If you are playing it on hard you have to think your strategy, check your location, etc. If you are playing on Normal or Easy you should have more money available. So get a lot of traps, put a lot of traps around the little sister, get a lot of personal ammo, use a weapon that reloads fast and has a lot of ammo.

In my case, playing on hard, I had to get at least 4 heal kits, and 3 or 4 plasmid kits. I usually used incinerate, and that time that it took me more than 2 hours, I didn't have any money, no heal kits, and no plasmid kits, and almost no ammo, yeah.. so I had to kill a lot of them to get the money and then only used the drill to kill all of them. I barely survived, but after that all my harvests have become easier.
Old 02-22-10, 07:01 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

Yeah, once you get deeper into the game it's pretty simple, and has been said before in this thread, it's almost too easy once you Decoy 3.
Old 02-22-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hack a couple of cameras, sentry bots and/or turrets.
Old 02-23-10, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
Yeah, once you get deeper into the game it's pretty simple, and has been said before in this thread, it's almost too easy once you Decoy 3.
Doh! Thanks for the help guys. I didn't even think of using Decoy and would never have bought that upgrade as I found it useless in the first game. I'll try that.

But its still annoying that you are supposedly playing a Big Daddy, which takes about a billion hits for you to kill and only four or five hits for them to kill you....
Old 02-23-10, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My favorite plasmid for those occasions (gathering Adam) is Hypnotize. I just make them fight between them.

Also, when it's time to fight a Big Sister, if possible, I go near a Big Daddy and use hypnotize on him, so he can help me fight the Big Sister.
Old 02-23-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

don't you respawn in a chamber if you die?
Old 02-23-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its interesting to see how everyone has different tactics for the game... One of the things that I love about it. I too was really frustrated at first and about to quit. Trap rivets were the best for me that + level 3 incinerate.
Old 02-23-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Its interesting to see how everyone has different tactics for the game... One of the things that I love about it. I too was really frustrated at first and about to quit. Trap rivets were the best for me that + level 3 incinerate.
I'm a big fan of hacking every available bot with dozens of trap rivets and an incinerate/anti-personnel combo. After the first couple collections, I haven't had any trouble (well, except the time a wandering Big Daddy entered the fracas and accidentally got torched. I really didn't need him on my bad side at that particular moment).
Old 02-23-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is so cool:

http://kotaku.com/5478247/there-are-...hock-2-posters

I just checked my posters. Amazing!
Old 02-23-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know how fucking awesome it is that that poster thing went for a whole week before anybody found out about it?! Unheard of nowadays.
Old 02-23-10, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I just made it to Siren Alley tonight - wanted to stop as soon as arrived so I could pick up tomorrow....but of course upon immediately walking into the level there is a big daddy with a little sister so ya know, had to handle some business before calling it quits.

The game is fucking awesome.....I still find myself really taking my time with this game, I love listening to all the diaries as well (and finding them). The upgrades have been awesome and I find myself WANTING to use plasmids in this game.

As for letting the little sisters gather adam - I don't think it's hard either - I immediately thought of the Trap Rivets my first time - works excellent - just got decoy and that works really well too - now I just want to beef up so Big Sisters aren't too much of problem.

I'd have to say, the only thing I do not like so far is how much shit is laying around that can be picked up (i.e. chips, smokes, candy bars, 50 fucking different drink bottles, etc....) it get so damn tedious but it's a minor grip I guess.

Can't wait to start Siren's Alley as everyone here has been saying the game really picks up at this point - personally, the game has been flowing well for me anyway so I'm sure I'll like it even more.

Also, did anyone else love that before entering Siren Alley.......While you're walking undesea you actually SEE (and can collect) the Sea-slugs that are made of atom (for those kinda new to the game who didn't really fully catch on yet...atom is what's inside the little sisters) Just a little touch that I thought was really cool.
Old 02-24-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished last night, better ending than the first one for sure. I played good, I saved everyone so I got the good ending. I guess the evil ending is already in Youtube, right?

It's funny how, eve playing at hard, at the end I was fighting more than big sister, several big daddies, etc. all at the same time without problem. There are a lot of healing kits and eve too.

And yeah, Siren Alley is the best, maybe because it's where you master the game and after that everything is more simple.
Old 02-24-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how do you use traps?
there is no inventory screen and they do not show up when i cycle thru all my weapons.
(I am playing the PC version)
Old 02-24-10, 11:48 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by timewaster
how do you use traps?
there is no inventory screen and they do not show up when i cycle thru all my weapons.
(I am playing the PC version)
It's one of the ammo types for the rivet gun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.