Reload this Page >

The Fallout 3 Thread Of Exploding Teddy Bears

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-14-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Bethesda, the creators of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Here's a hands on preview from IGN:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/888/888731p1.html

Looks and sounds pretty sweet, if not a little repetitive.
Old 07-14-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't wait
Old 07-14-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I wish they stuck with the old isometric view
Old 07-14-08, 08:38 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by lordwow
Can't wait
+1
Old 07-14-08, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still nervous. Doubly so because it's being released for consoles.
Old 07-14-08, 09:06 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Any game that allows me to use a slingshot named the Fat Man to launch a mini-nuke is OK in my book.
Old 07-14-08, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I wish they stuck with the old isometric view
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I'm still nervous. Doubly so because it's being released for consoles.

Me too. I prefer the old version that Black Isle was producing before they went out of business.

"Van Buren" (codename for Black Isle's Fallout 3) would have kicked major ass. Bethesda's "Oblivion with guns" pales in comparison. I miss Black Isle.

Youtube video of Van Buren:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1uuDKrY7eW0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1uuDKrY7eW0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 07-15-08, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really like the concept of the game, in that your actions actually have a tangible effect on the outcome of the game. It will be interesting to see if is anything more than superficial. It's surprising that so many RPG's still have so little input from the player on the games storyline, I would love to see Fallout 3 succeed in that regard.
Old 07-15-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dog Meat

Last edited by superdeluxe; 07-15-08 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-15-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The E3 live demo sold me on this one. Unless the early reviews and word of mouth are terrible (which I can't imagine), I'll pick it up.
Old 07-15-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
http://e3.g4tv.com/e32008/videos/269...Fallout_3.html
Old 07-15-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I watched the demo on the Microsoft E3 announcement and the G4 special and it looked very impressive.
Old 07-15-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks really impressive.

I had already ordered the super deluxe limited edition from amazon ($120) a couple of months ago.
Old 07-15-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
XBL Dash has the trailer...looks sweet to me.

They also have a Too Human demo (controls SUCK!!), and a new RE:5-Hate Crimes trailer.
Old 07-16-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hopefully they'll have a demo at the Comic-Con.

not too sure I'm going to like the FPS aspect of it.
Old 07-17-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Hopefully they'll have a demo at the Comic-Con.

not too sure I'm going to like the FPS aspect of it.
According to the E3 Dev walkthrough vid you can switch between first person and 3rd person. They also demonstrate the aimed shot pretty well but I'm still wondering exactly how the action points are utilized - since you clearly see a bar for them in the bottom right of the screen. I think they might let you queue moves and attacks like in KOTOR. I just hope they have an option for full turn-based pause playing when entering combat (granted the KOTOR variation wasn't too bad). It was a little disappointing not to see any real character interaction conversation options or the trade inventory, but the PiPBoy update looks pretty true to form.
Old 07-17-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
According to the E3 Dev walkthrough vid you can switch between first person and 3rd person. They also demonstrate the aimed shot pretty well but I'm still wondering exactly how the action points are utilized - since you clearly see a bar for them in the bottom right of the screen. I think they might let you queue moves and attacks like in KOTOR. I just hope they have an option for full turn-based pause playing when entering combat (granted the KOTOR variation wasn't too bad). It was a little disappointing not to see any real character interaction conversation options or the trade inventory, but the PiPBoy update looks pretty true to form.
The more I read and the more game footage I watch, the more I realize Bethesda perfectly captured the art direction of the game and threw out the gameplay that made the game Fallout. I have no desire to play an Oblivion FPS. I think I'll be taking a pass on it.

What I wouldn't give for another good isometric turn-based RPG.
Old 07-18-08, 12:09 AM
Banned

What I wouldn't give for another good isometric turn-based RPG.
Me too. Unfortunately, I think the days of the isometric turn-based games are gone. Like the old graphic adventure games such as the SCUMM games, nobody wants strategic turn-based games anymore so no company makes them anymore. Today's gamers just want the video game equivalent of the hundred million dollar Hollywood summer action movie.

Its kind of ironic that the people who will most likely be most pleased with Bethesda's Fallout 3 will be the newbies that haven't even played the previous games..... Ignorance is bliss.
Old 07-18-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To be honest, I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet. I can see some of your reasons for pessimism, but I think there's still plenty of hope for a few reasons:

1. This is E3. It's all about making your game stand out among everything else - which sadly enough does mean focusing on the exploding heads and body parts. I mean, it's not as though most folks are going to be carrying around that combo of weapons from the get-go (it might not even be possible to carry them all in-game depending on individual weight limits). Sneaking around or carrying on a conversation doesn't make as good of a play demo at a convention like this. Although they didn't show nearly as much as I would have liked to see, there were obvious elements that showed through - for instance the aimed shot targeting still has it broken down by probability of successful hit (although that actual hit with the rocket launcher with a 0% probability of hit looked a little iffy).

2. This is Bethesda. I'll grant you that they're not Black Isle (although I think they originally incorporated some refugees), and I haven't been able to get as much into Oblivion myself (mostly through not devoting much time to it) - but I can't fault them in general for the masterpieces that were Morrowind, KOTOR, and Jade Empire - each of which sucked up huge chunks of my time while providing a thoroughly enjoyable experience. It may not be able to match the originals, but 11 years after the first one (10 after the sequel) I think we're starting to approach the nostalgia factor in which nothing can ever meet our expectations.

At this point, even given the lack of a complete concrete demonstration, I'm definitely on board for another reimagining of a well-fleshed out universe. I think we can also allow some flexibility in that we're actually on the East coast this time and we can hopefully get some different environmental backdrops to the purely traditional (and slightly overused) nuclear desert wasteland - although I wouldn't mind seeing some nuclear winter options either (did Tactics ever include that in any scenarios? I can't even remember now).
Old 07-18-08, 10:41 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
KOTOR and Jade Empire = Bioware, not Bethesda.
Old 07-18-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

At this point, even given the lack of a complete concrete demonstration, I'm definitely on board for another reimagining of a well-fleshed out universe. I think we can also allow some flexibility in that we're actually on the East coast this time and we can hopefully get some different environmental backdrops to the purely traditional (and slightly overused) nuclear desert wasteland - although I wouldn't mind seeing some nuclear winter options either (did Tactics ever include that in any scenarios? I can't even remember now).
Even in the storyline Bethesda is getting all crappy. The BoS as knights, the Enclave on the east coast (!), supermutants that don't talk. Ugh ugh ugh.
Old 07-18-08, 11:28 AM
Banned

This is Bethesda. I'll grant you that they're not Black Isle (although I think they originally incorporated some refugees)

Most of the Black Isle refugees started a new company: Obsidian.
Old 07-18-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even in the storyline Bethesda is getting all crappy. The BoS as knights, the Enclave on the east coast (!), supermutants that don't talk. Ugh ugh ugh.
Ok, maybe I'm missing some things since I generally forgo virtually all previews (aside from Live trailers) unless they're forced upon me or I actually feel like looking them up.

How is BoS being portrayed as "knights" differently now than in F2? - they had a military order, "brother maxwell", chivalry code thing going back then as well.

Now one thing I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to remember is whether or not we were ever getting an actual date setting for the original games since the dev mentioned that this is something around 2272 or so for the current setting. earlier or later than the first 2 games? I don't see a real issue with having the Enclave on the east coast since they are remnants of the gov't - but it really depends how much they try and tie things together.

There's just so much potential for variance on both sides of the country - the same organizations could arise and then branch fairly early - the names would probably stay the same but a lot of other things could change with different leadership. F: tactics addressed some of that with the branching story in the midwest compared to the west coast.

It all probably sounds overly apologetic - especially if there's more to see than what's downloadable on XBL, but I really can't see too much to stress out about at the moment. You're right about me messing up the company names though.

The hundred + hours of gameplay thing is a real draw for me (I spent a month plus just on morrowind with a single character) - and I think that the fallout style of gameplay is much more of a draw for character experimentation (heavy weapons vs. sniping vs charisma vs brawling) than the magic vs arrows vs melee in the Elder Scrolls series - particularly since it looks much easier to switch on the fly.

Last edited by Tuan Jim; 07-18-08 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-18-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How is BoS being portrayed as "knights" differently now than in F2? - they had a military order, "brother maxwell", chivalry code thing going back then as well.
The BoS was a military organization that primarily wanted to preserve technology. They were never demonstrated to have any interest in running around the wastes saving people.
Old 07-18-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 395 Likes on 296 Posts
It's another Fallout game, and that's enough for me. I liked Tactics, and BoS.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.