DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

dvdsteve2000 04-09-09 03:23 AM

Re: Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 9372554)
I'm posting this from my DSi to test it out. So far so good. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

n00b question...you can surf with the DSi? I didn't know it had a browser.

PixyJunket 04-09-09 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000 (Post 9377968)
n00b question...you can surf with the DSi? I didn't know it had a browser.

Yes. It's not built-in, but it's a free download.

The browser is pretty good given the hardware, but it's nothing I'd use often.

Decker 04-09-09 09:11 AM

Well, can't make it through the whole thread, but has anyone else picked up Henry Hatsworth? I only got it yesterday and tried it out a bit. I'm really impressed. It's kind of weird to play two completely different sorts of games at one time, but somehow it actually meshes pretty well.
On the top screen you're playing a SMB-type 2D platformer, which will build your "puzzle meter", allowing you to move over to the bottom screen where you play a Meteos or Poker Smash-like tile matching puzzle game. The enemies you beat on the upper screen become blocks you must eliminate on the lower or they'll come back. You eliminate enough blocks and you get a temporary Robot Suit for the upper screen that gives invincibility. Overall kind of crazy, but fun so far. :up:

Brent L 04-09-09 09:32 AM

*raises hand*

It's a fantastic game, but I have a bad feeling that it'll end up one of those awesome underrated games that not enough people give a chance.

When I saw "TEA TIME" for the first time, it was one of the biggest laughs I've ever had in a game, but a lot of that has to do with me not expecting it at all.

PixyJunket 04-09-09 09:36 AM

The DS seems to be THE system of this gen for sleeper hits. :lol:

Do they have a demo on Henry Hatsworth on the Nintendo Channel?

Ocelot 04-09-09 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by shumway (Post 9376649)
and there's not a chance that they are doing WEP and MAC address filtering at the office?

Well, even if they do, then the iPod Touch shouldn't work right? But no, the Touch worked fine.

Brent L 04-09-09 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 9378315)
The DS seems to be THE system of this gen for sleeper hits. :lol:

There wasn't the last I checked, but that's been a little while ago.

Check out this review of it:

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=47007"/><param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=47007" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>

Decker 04-09-09 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 9378315)

Excuse my ignorance on this one: What is the Nintendo channel? I'd love to DL some DS demos if I could.

pinata242 04-09-09 10:48 AM

It's a Wii channel that turns your home Wii into a DS Demo Download station. Been around for about a year now, hasn't it?

Brent L 04-09-09 10:49 AM

On the Wii you can download/install a channel called the "Nintendo Channel". You can go there to watch videos, previews, and you can also download demos by syncing up your DS and Wii.

PixyJunket 04-09-09 10:56 AM

I'm hoping we start seeing direct download demos for DSi owners.

Also, do you think we'll see the first DSi exclusive games be revealed at E3?

Decker 04-09-09 10:57 AM

Ah, that's why I didn't know. I got no Wii. :sad:

steebo777 04-09-09 11:01 AM

You can get the demos at stores with the DS kiosk as well.

Decker 04-09-09 11:45 AM

I wonder why you can't DL demos from the DSi store. That would make a lot of sense.

Liver&Onions 04-09-09 12:51 PM

Picked up a DSi yesterday with all my trade credit. Looking forward to finally entering the DS world!

PixyJunket 04-09-09 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions (Post 9378768)
Picked up a DSi yesterday with all my trade credit. Looking forward to finally entering the DS world!

I must suggest the best game of this generation: The World Ends With You.

josh4040 04-10-09 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 9378779)
I must suggest the best game of this generation: The World Ends With You.

I picked up this game last night based on your recommendations. I have to say that so far, I really am not digging it, the game play is awkward and slow and the cutscreens take forever. I also picked up the new gta and that game is as good as the reviews have been. How much more time should I invest in the world ends with you. I picked it up at gamestop used so I can always return it for store credit.

PixyJunket 04-10-09 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by josh4040 (Post 9380397)
I picked up this game last night based on your recommendations. I have to say that so far, I really am not digging it, the game play is awkward and slow and the cutscreens take forever. I also picked up the new gta and that game is as good as the reviews have been. How much more time should I invest in the world ends with you. I picked it up at gamestop used so I can always return it for store credit.

TWEWY has a fucking rough start.. both in being overwhelmed by everything going on mechanically and by the overlong cutscenes. I felt the same way when I started too and it's one of my favorite games ever now. I really can't remember at which point everything clicked for me, but I would stick with it for a little bit if it's got your attention at all so far, it really does take a while to get a hang of the game.

steebo777 04-10-09 09:44 AM

Yeah I really dig it. It took some getting used to, but it is a blast.

Brent L 04-10-09 09:52 AM

Are there any RPGs that would act as a decent "starter" RPG? I've never been a fan of the turn based combat, other than a Final Fantasy game (I think) on the SNES back when I was really young, and even that didn't last long for me. That said, I get sorta jealous of how so many people love them, and the interesting stories and all of that, so I think I may be willing to give the genre a shot once again on the DS.

So, any recommendations on something that could possibly hook me in?

Decker 04-10-09 09:56 AM

Along the same line: Has anyone gotten Blue Dragon Plus for the DS yet? I skipped over it on the 360 and just saw that the DS version is $25 at Costco. Is it worth picking up?

PixyJunket 04-10-09 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 9380447)
Are there any RPGs that would act as a decent "starter" RPG? I've never been a fan of the turn based combat, other than a Final Fantasy game (I think) on the SNES back when I was really young, and even that didn't last long for me. That said, I get sorta jealous of how so many people love them, and the interesting stories and all of that, so I think I may be willing to give the genre a shot once again on the DS.

So, any recommendations on something that could possibly hook me in?

Was it FF: Mystic Quest?

Dragon Quest IV and V are good entry level RPGs on the DS.

xmiyux 04-10-09 10:14 AM

I have heard good things about My World My Way (or a title very similar to that).

Brent L 04-10-09 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 9380473)
Was it FF: Mystic Quest?

Dragon Quest IV and V are good entry level RPGs on the DS.

No clue which FF it was, it's been since the early 90s since I played it, and even then I didn't finish it.

I may try to look up some stuff on the DQ DS games.

MoviePage 04-10-09 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 9380488)
No clue which FF it was, it's been since the early 90s since I played it, and even then I didn't finish it.

I may try to look up some stuff on the DQ DS games.

Another hearty recommendation for both Dragon Quest DS games.