DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

grenier 03-01-09 11:26 AM

Re: Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

My apologies if this has been covered before, I've been reading my way through the thread and am overwhelmed. I just finished "Zelda" on my DS and loved every minute, are there similar games that anyone would recommend?

Chris_D 03-01-09 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by grenier (Post 9298494)
My apologies if this has been covered before, I've been reading my way through the thread and am overwhelmed. I just finished "Zelda" on my DS and loved every minute, are there similar games that anyone would recommend?

Lunar Knights is awesome, one of the best games on the system. Plays very much like a top down 2D Zelda with more RPG elements.

Quake1028 03-01-09 04:46 PM

Picked up Civ: Rev DS for $9.99 on clearance at Best Buy. I know their sales are very YMMV, but someone might get lucky. Also picked up Big Bang Mini :wub:.

spainlinx0 03-01-09 06:40 PM

Can someone explain the way I should approach Shiren? Am I trying to level up? Am I trying to get far in the game? Am I supposed to be backtracking? Why does it reset me to level 1 if I go back to drop off an item at the first village?

I have never played a game like this. The closest was Etrian Odyssey, but it wasn't like this at all. Should I be staying in the same dungeon, and going up and down, staying in there? I haven't gotten very far, but I want to know what the hell I am doing. Can I have some tips please? I checked Wiki, but there wasn't much there.

xmiyux 03-01-09 07:07 PM

You do not backtrack to the village. The goal is to intelligently engage monsters. Many times the correct answer is to avoid them entirely. You will hit other villages on the way that will allow you to put items in storage for future attempts.

Be aware, you will dies hundreds of times before you hit the end. I'm still in the process.

Most likely Pixy will have some more detailed advice.

grenier 03-01-09 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_D (Post 9298656)
Lunar Knights is awesome, one of the best games on the system. Plays very much like a top down 2D Zelda with more RPG elements.

Cool, thanks for the suggestion.

spainlinx0 03-02-09 07:13 AM

Why do you have to start at zero if you die though. :( I don't know how I'm going to use the rescue stuff since I don't have WEP enabled on my router. When are they going to start shipping these lights with WPA compatibility?

xmiyux 03-02-09 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 9299622)
Why do you have to start at zero if you die though. :( I don't know how I'm going to use the rescue stuff since I don't have WEP enabled on my router. When are they going to start shipping these lights with WPA compatibility?

Did you ever play Nethack or any other Rogues? They are made to be brutally difficult. The goal is often to get as far as you can rather than to defeat the game. I know in my Nethack days we kept leaderboards on paper for how far people got and maintained certain restrictions etc. The goal is to run the game in one playthrough - that is why it starts you over each time you return to the main village.

One tip i didn't know about in the beginning. Go to the place all the way on the left in the first village (the Inn or Pub maybe?) and the guy behind the counter will give you a large Rice Ball for free each run. Those can be lifesavers.

PixyJunket 03-02-09 08:00 AM

Think of Shiren as an arcade game, not an RPG. The object is to get to the end on one credit, basically. You need to rely on everything given to you to proceed as opposed to just brawling your way past each level.

spainlinx0 03-02-09 08:48 AM

Ahhh I see. I actually was doing well, except I was down to very little food, and I didn't have a riceball. So I buy some meat, and I eat it in the shop. And I forgot to change back, and I ended up attacking the stupid shopkeeper. I had a +3 katana that I lost because of that. :(

spainlinx0 03-02-09 08:49 AM

Also what's the point of the 50 challenges? The items you get don't seem to be that great so far.

PixyJunket 03-02-09 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 9299742)
Also what's the point of the 50 challenges? The items you get don't seem to be that great so far.

Those are mostly to teach you various aspects and intricacies of the game.

Ocelot 03-02-09 12:21 PM

Is there a thread for the DSi discussion? I'm thinking about pre-ordering one.
oyi, never mind, i found it...

UncleGramps 03-02-09 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by darkside (Post 9297594)
Picked up Peggle Dual Shot today and I can't recommend this one enough. I had no idea it included Peggle and Peggle Nights along with the bonus Q? designed levels. 120 puzzles and they have added a bonus gem mode that is kind of cool. Peggle has the purple bonus gems and if you hit them four times in a level you get a gold one. Hit that and you get a bonus gem collecting level that spans both screens to add more to your score.

Graphically I think it looks fine though obviously it isn't as pretty as the PC version. You can aim with the stylus or use the D pad. Ball moves with the same physics of the PC version and there is lots of incentive to play Adventure and Challenge modes to unlock content like the Q levels in quick mode.

$30 is a pricey version of Peggle, but considering it is 2 versions in one along with bonus content I would call it a bargain. Q did a great job porting this to the DS.

I picked this up yesterday and I'm similarly impressed. I've only ever played the original Peggle, not Peggle Nights, so there's a lot in the game that's new to me. Plus it's just nice to have Peggle in a portable format, which really seems to suit the gameplay. The stylus controls work wonderfully and the game itself is still as addictive as ever.

GatorDeb 03-03-09 06:15 AM

I cannot recommend enough Pic Pic (European port of Japanese game). It comes with three games and EACH game has 400 puzzles.

1. Magipic - Japanese Mosaic game. Hard to explain but I'll do my best:

XXX
X#X
XXX

If that number is a 9, all Xs are black. If it's a 0, all Xs are white. If it's a 5, there's 5 Xs that are black and 4 that are white. You use the adjacent numbers to figure out each grid.

I am wholly addicted to Magipic. This game is awesome.

3. Link-a-pic - Now that I understand it, I love it! You link numbers together. Two fours will be linked through four squares (including their own). Two tens will be linked by ten squares. The trickiness is when you start running out of room because the "lines" can't cross each other.

3. Maze Paint - transverse a maze leaving a trail of paint that forms a picture. Harder levels are challenging.

spainlinx0 03-04-09 07:45 PM

I like Shiren, but the eating thing is really annoying.

xmiyux 03-04-09 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 9301928)
I cannot recommend enough Pic Pic (European port of Japanese game). It comes with three games and EACH game has 400 puzzles.

1. Magipic - Japanese Mosaic game. Hard to explain but I'll do my best:

XXX
X#X
XXX

If that number is a 9, all Xs are black. If it's a 0, all Xs are white. If it's a 5, there's 5 Xs that are black and 4 that are white. You use the adjacent numbers to figure out each grid.

I am wholly addicted to Magipic. This game is awesome.

So it is essentially Minesweeper with pictures?

SunMonkey 03-09-09 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 8938061)
Here's a sneak peak at Professor Layton 2:

http://professorlaytonwalkthrough.bl.../03/sneak.html

There are actually three games: The Curious Village, Pandora's Box, and the Last Time Travel.

Is there any word on a US release for the next Professor Layton game?

cartman 03-10-09 01:07 PM

Is Children of Mana any good? Secret of Mana is one of my favorite games, but haven't really liked any of the others in the series.

pinata242 03-11-09 10:00 AM

Atlus 101 in 1 Explosive Megamix trailer. Looks like a good collection of mini-games / time-waster.

Lurker Gal 03-11-09 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 9319055)
Atlus 101 in 1 Explosive Megamix trailer. Looks like a good collection of mini-games / time-waster.

Oh yeah! I could so see myself wasting time with that game. Definitely will have to pick that up.

PixyJunket 03-11-09 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 9317294)
Is Children of Mana any good? Secret of Mana is one of my favorite games, but haven't really liked any of the others in the series.

I liked it, but it's pretty much a Mana-themed Diablo clone, just a head's up.

darkside 03-11-09 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by SunMonkey (Post 9315648)
Is there any word on a US release for the next Professor Layton game?

No and we are going to be 3 behind pretty quickly. The first one sold a few hundred thousand in the US, but the localization for this was apparently pretty expensive. We probably won't get the other 3 volumes. This was one of my favorite DS games so I'm definitely bummed that we won't get the rest of them.

BTW, I lost my copy of Peggle DS while in Austin. I wish I had lost Fire Emblem instead. Finished that one today and was incredibly disappointed in it. I know it was the original game and probably wouldn't be as good as later titles, but man did it fail on multiple levels. The graphic choice they went with for the remake was terrible. The sprites on the GBA versions were better than this. The difficulty was also way out of wack. You had better pick a group of 16 and stick with them. You literally can't afford to experiment with any characters you won't use on the final level. They bump up the difficulty to an insane degree on the final dungeon.

I ended up having to go back to a save and replay 10 dungeons leveling everyone more carefully. I still lost 90% of my guys in the final dungeon and barely beat it. This was something previous Fire Emblems I have played got right, but this one did not level you up enough to really be ready for the final battle. What you really have to do is sit in a dungeon that spawns characters and just level grind for hours until your units are finally ready. This game is NES in all the wrong ways and is easily the worst Fire Emblem game brought to the US. It is even worse that I played it right after the fantastic combat in Luminous Arc 2.

shumway 03-11-09 01:23 PM

Ugh on Fire Emblem. That's the game I'm playing next after I finish DQV. I have 3 save files but have only been working on one, the others are sitting right after the main choice. Can't imagine it will be too much different after that though.

fujishig 03-11-09 01:48 PM

Guess I can skip Fire Emblem then... just as well, since I still have both GBA games and the Wii game unfinished. And my backlog of DS RPGs-of-one-form-or-another is already staggering. Just realized I still haven't even opened that Sonic RPG, and I got that during the TRU sale...