Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

MLB '08: The Show (PS3, PS2, PSP) - March 4th

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

MLB '08: The Show (PS3, PS2, PSP) - March 4th

Old 01-29-08, 02:12 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,594
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MLB '08: The Show (PS3, PS2, PSP) - March 4th

Haven't seen anything posted on this yet... i cannot wait. '07 finally helped me cope with EA losing the MLB license, and this year it looks like they are going above and beyond themselves to top it.



http://www.us.playstation.com/mlb08/

Anyone else as pumped as i am? The PS3 screens look jaw-dropping.

-NiCK
Old 01-29-08, 11:18 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
DaveWadding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,909
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate everyone that gets to play this game right now.
Old 01-29-08, 03:21 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,594
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveWadding
I hate everyone that gets to play this game right now.
its one of the main reasons i chose a PS3 over a 360 besides Blu-Ray.

-NiCK
Old 01-29-08, 03:32 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,576
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cannot wait....time to trade in MLB 07 while I can still get $20+ at GAmeRush....I need more credit to go with my $300 there
Old 01-29-08, 03:43 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,594
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I cannot wait....time to trade in MLB 07 while I can still get $20+ at GAmeRush....I need more credit to go with my $300 there
any idea what Gamestop/Eb Games will be giving for 07?

-NiCK
Old 01-29-08, 03:50 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 5,010
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't wait.
Old 01-29-08, 03:57 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,594
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wonder if they will have the free hat offer again this time around...

-NiCK
Old 01-29-08, 04:25 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goat3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,113
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
This and Blu-Ray are the reason I'll be picking up a PS3 in the near future. Can't wait.
Old 01-30-08, 09:22 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,594
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
This and Blu-Ray are the reason I'll be picking up a PS3 in the near future. Can't wait.
Wise choice my friend

-NiCK
Old 01-31-08, 04:28 PM
  #10  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 925
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So is this the only baseball game for the PS3? Is it the considered the best?

Looking to buy a baseball game in the near future for my PS3.
Old 02-01-08, 12:16 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has been the best Baseball game by far since "The Show" tag was added on 2006. I definitely want to get this. I skipped 2007 because I wanted them to get more time to really perfect the PS3 version. I have 2006 on the PSP and PS2 and have probably played 400 games. Almost a perfect sports title.
Old 02-02-08, 09:31 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,576
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just for reference...MLB 07 gets $23 in trade in value at GameRush/Blockbuster. Not bad since the new game is only a month away.
Old 02-02-08, 09:58 AM
  #13  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CALI!
Posts: 6,972
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks DJ, I will be trading in my game ASAP!
Old 02-03-08, 11:18 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,594
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Just for reference...MLB 07 gets $23 in trade in value at GameRush/Blockbuster. Not bad since the new game is only a month away.
i think im gonna hold onto it... i know i'll probably never play it after 08 comes out, but i have so many fond memories haha.

-NiCK
Old 02-15-08, 03:51 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,594
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the demo is in the PS Store now

-NiCK
Old 02-15-08, 07:41 AM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 90
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I downloaded the demo last night on my PS3, having never played this game before at first it was very difficult, I like games that when you first put them that assume you are a complete novice and never played before, although as it went along it became less difficult, I found the pitching takes some getting used to, graphically the game is gorgeous and the commentary is spot on, definitely will be picking this one up when its released.
Old 02-15-08, 08:21 AM
  #17  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lakeville, MN
Posts: 3,070
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice. Have to finish Ratchet and Clank so I can trade it in for this.
Old 02-15-08, 11:21 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,594
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by educator_bhoy
I downloaded the demo last night on my PS3, having never played this game before at first it was very difficult, I like games that when you first put them that assume you are a complete novice and never played before, although as it went along it became less difficult, I found the pitching takes some getting used to, graphically the game is gorgeous and the commentary is spot on, definitely will be picking this one up when its released.
yea, it took some getting used to for me when i played 07 but you'll get the hang of it.

-NiCK
Old 02-16-08, 12:35 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I downloaded the demo and was pretty impressed. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they had you playing as the Rockies or the Red Sox and then the announcer said something about the World Series. The Rockies were in the World Series?!! Holy crap.

Anyway, I played as the Red Sox and gave up 5 runs in the first inning and then I figured out how to pitch. When I got up to bat Big Papi slammed a ball over the green monster for 380 feet. However, that was my only run. Manny got on base but everyone else either struck out or hit out.

Seems like you have a lot of options during the game and the controls are simple enough once you get used to them. I'll probably end up picking it up.
Old 02-16-08, 09:15 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,576
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will get this for sure. The demo impressed me. There were some framerate issues...but those "should" be cleared up in the final release (I hope).

The game plays similar to the 07 version, but just better....looks better, feels better. I cannot wait!
Old 02-17-08, 03:19 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,594
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

Seems like you have a lot of options during the game and the controls are simple enough once you get used to them. I'll probably end up picking it up.
Yea, 07 had what seemed to be endless options and 08 seems to have expanded that even further. This is the only baseball game out there as far as i am concerned.

-NiCK
Old 02-18-08, 03:31 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,594
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok this demo is the biggest tease ever... i simply need to start my 08 dynasty... NOW.

-NiCK
Old 02-18-08, 12:43 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Setzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Great Northwest
Posts: 3,753
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I really enjoyed The Show '07 and the demo for this year's version has me even more excited. Graphically the game looks much better, especially the player models. The game play seems similar to that of '07 but that's good because I loved how '07 played, it was the closest a baseball game has come to matching the superior game play in MVP '05.

Right now, I'll probably end up picking up The Show '08 but I'm going to wait for the demo for MLB 2K8 before making my final decision. I wasn't really impressed with MLB 2K7 other than it looked good graphically. I thought the fielding and camera angles were horrendous and even with adjustments made to the sliders it was still super easy to hit home runs in that game. Hopefully they've made alot of improvements in '08's version otherwise I'll be getting The Show again.
Old 02-19-08, 12:51 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,594
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Setzer
I really enjoyed The Show '07 and the demo for this year's version has me even more excited. Graphically the game looks much better, especially the player models. The game play seems similar to that of '07 but that's good because I loved how '07 played, it was the closest a baseball game has come to matching the superior game play in MVP '05.

Right now, I'll probably end up picking up The Show '08 but I'm going to wait for the demo for MLB 2K8 before making my final decision. I wasn't really impressed with MLB 2K7 other than it looked good graphically. I thought the fielding and camera angles were horrendous and even with adjustments made to the sliders it was still super easy to hit home runs in that game. Hopefully they've made alot of improvements in '08's version otherwise I'll be getting The Show again.
the game play was so terrible for 2K7 that my mind is already made up. considering how much i loved The Show 07. I will download the 2k8 demo when its up, but i seriously doubt enough of an improvement will be made to make me choose it over an already proven Show 08 in my opinion.

-NiCK
Old 02-19-08, 09:48 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,491
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just hearing the same commentary from 2k7 in the online videos is enough to make me pass on 2k8. I'm trying MLB 08 this year.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.